Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2017 3:08:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57]
Went fishing this past weekend with my mid 80's Ryobi SX5 spinning reel.  I noticed there is a bit of wobble in the crank.  I had a minute today to pull it apart - the crank is supported by 2 solid bushings - not sure of the material, but non-metallic plastic or nylon I suspect.

I didn't look at long enough to decide if it was the bearing wearing on the crank - or if the bearings are just not fit tight to the housing.

This isn't a reel I use often, but I was thinking about working on the bearings in preparation for it's next outing.  I could make or perhaps buy a bronze bushing, or I could possibly find a sealed ball bearing bushing (I'd have to take some measurements to see If I could find something close enough).  The reel is old enough there is likely no parts source for original parts (that either wore out too soon or weren't properly fit to start with)

It's not a valuable reel, probably a lot less hassle to go buy a new reel, but if a bit of work on the bearings makes a good solid reel it's maybe worth a bit of tinkering to fix it up.

The question is are sealed ball bearings worth trying to find? or, stick with a bronze bushing?  I don't know what the better reels use these days.

It held up for two paddlefish this weekend and did fine.  It'll probably not be used again until next season.  I saw many cheap rods and reels fail this past weekend.

ETA:  Looks to be a standard 9 x 17 x 4 mm bearing.   Google searched that size for radial ball bearings and it comes up as the bearing used in the Daiwa 4000 series reels.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:27:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#1]
FWIW - I found bearings - open bearings - the correct size.  Stripped the reel completely down, soaked all the metal parts in mineral spirits for a bit, and cleaned all the old grease out.

Reassembled the reel with the new ball bearings on the crank and all new marine grease throughout.  

Reel is stiff (the grease I used is a bit too stiff for reel grease) but it seems really smooth.   I think for a total of about $12 including shipping this may have been a good upgrade to the reel.

Next I plan to upgrade the drag system with greased carbontex drag washers to smooth out the drag system.  I believe I've found the correct size washers, just waiting for a reply from the vendor.

ETA:   Received carbontex drag washers and installed them.  Have not had a chance to do more than pull line through it, but it doesn't pull over hard and then break.  Have to find a way to test it out - but seems like another good mod.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top