Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2017 10:27:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nightstalker32]
Hey guys ,  I'm currently looking for a set of poles for average lake / river fishing.  I currently live in Chicago and soon will be down in Tennessee if that helps understand what fish I'd be looking at. I used to fish a lot as a kid on boats before I joined the Corps and guns / gear became my " fun".  Now with 2 kids I'm looking at getting back into fishing. Nothing too serious for now and I don't have the budget to spend Hundreds on poles etc.  I was thinking of hitting up bass pro and getting an already set up pole or 2. Any recommended brands ?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#1]
my goto are penn reels and st croix rods
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
If it were me, and without knowing anything about what you intend to fish for, and what type of baits you intend to use...
I'd get a Medium Light Rod and start there.  I like 6' to 7' length.  Shorter for overhead tree problems, longer for open casting.
I also assume you want spinning gear.

My overall favorite rod that I own is a St Croix Avid Medium Light 6'6".  Since funds might be an issue, maybe drop down to a St Croix Premier.
I also like a 2 piece rod for pack-ability in my vehicle.  So if it were me, I'd look at the St Croix Premier PS66MLF2 or Avid AVS66MLF2.
I'd use 6 pound line or braid equivalent in smaller trout/smallmouth rivers, and 8 pound in lakes and bigger rivers.

I think Pflueger has the best bang for the buck in reels.  I'd get at least a President, preferably the President XT or even Supreme, depending on what you can afford.  I would definitely recommend not buying a reel less than $50.

I also have a thing for trout, so I have a few light and ultra lights.  They are a LOT of fun.  Pair with a super small lightweight reel.

I'd venture to say outside of specifically targeting trout and using Light and Ultra Light rods, I use my ML 90% of the time.  A Medium just feels like a brick in my hands.  I like lighter rods.  So I'd start with a nice ML (preferably an Avid) and then see if you feel you want to add a L or M.  My other rods just don't get much use.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:12:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nightstalker32] [#3]
Thanks for the replies.  Honestly I'm not fishing for anything specific.  I have several tackle boxes , both old and new that contains quality bait etc. I also use and have used live bait specifically worms.     I'm looking for something that can catch small stuff and decent sized bass, pike etc.   My goal was to be able to bring the same pole ( or pair) to wherever I go in the Midwest and south and be able to fish.    

I know I won't be going sea fishing etc .
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#4]
For a reasonably priced pole I have been going with the St. Croix Triumph, 6'6" is pretty much my go to size and Med-light is a nice compromise, I use mostly Shimano reels.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
It all depends on what you are going to be fishing. I just picked up 2 Abu Garcia Veritas 2.0 rods, one is a heavy extra fast for my casting and a medium/heavy for my spinning.  I am a huge Abu Garcia fan but now I am getting to like St. Croix rods, I will more than likely stick to the Abu reels.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Little update for those that were losing sleep over it ( not likely lol)   I was in a dicks sporting goods. Found a abu garcia vengeance rod and ultra max combo for about 70 dollars. You guys gave awesome options and I just happened to see this one first.  Hopefully it handles well.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool.  Enjoy and good luck!
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Same situation for me.   Been a long time.  Growing up my ol man use to take us fishing all the time.   Now that I have kids, I want to get back out and show them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]
my beat around do almost everything spinning gear is a berkley lightning rod, 6'6" medium weight/fast action with an okuma ceymar c-30. The whole kit ran my around 90 bucks. Spooled up with some 10lb mono. I've landed multiple 5lb large mouth with it. It works well for small spinner baits and bottom fishing with lighter weights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top