Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2016 12:57:08 PM EDT
So I'm pretty much brand new to fishing. I went a few times as a kid but nothing in the last two decades. I'm looking to pick it up so I can start taking my 5 year old son. Bought him a pole/reel combo and now need to get my own setup.

I don't want to get something cheap that will break in a year, or that I will "outgrow" in a couple years and have no problem spending a bit more for a quality setup. I was in Gander Mountain yesterday and picked up a Wright & McGill Victory Baitcaster for $50 (usual price $100) Link. After looking online, it has mixed reviews and I could possibly get a nicer reel for less money. Thoughts on this reel? Should I keep it or return it? Recommendations on another setup?

This will be used almost exclusively in NOVA freshwater lakes, mostly from the boat of a friend and sometimes from the shore or a dock.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 2:23:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cpatterson] [#1]
to be honest of you arnt going fishing alot i would look at a nice spinning reel combo for ease of use. there is a little bit of a learning curve with bait casters and it leads to alot of birdsnest(spool unravels) when you start. you also have to learn how to adjust the brake and spool tension and the adjust every time you change bait, change a lure and forget to adjust......birdnest. its not rocket science but you have to practice using it and setting it up. your fist time will probably be more time fixing a birdsnest than fishing if no one shows you what your doing

if u choose to return it and get a spinning rod combo i would start here

good quality and is less than $100 i have a 6ft med and have caught many fish large and small with it

Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#2]
You are going to get backlashes, no way around it. But after you practice for a while, you'll enjoy using a baitcaster. Start with heavy line and full brake or use the electrical tape method. Watch some videos on how to set them up and practice. Use lures 1/4oz or heavier (light lures, use spinning gear). The wind is going to be your enemy at first but once you get the hang of it, it will be easier.

Can't tell you about the brand you got but I still use an old Abu Garcia Black Max that's still going strong. I use it for Sandies, Blackies and pond Channel cats.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:20:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dan1802] [#3]
Baitcasters are one of those things that you have to fail at a lot, to master it.
Go to youtube or read your instructions on how to properly adjust the reel to your lure and then cast, cast, cast and cast some more.
After a day or so of backlash and headache, you will get the hang of it.
Once you master a baitcaster you will be able to make more accurate casts and generally cast further than a spinning reel.

If you just want to instantly get on the water and pulling in fish, get a spinner and don't look back.

BTW, the particular reel you purchased is a nice reel, once you master it, it will treat you well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top