BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ChuckH:
My first trip to Colorado I wore heavy wool and carried an Eberlestock Blue Widow pack. The mountains kicked my ass.
Upon my return from trip I weighed my gear. My clothing and pack weighed close to fifty pounds. The pack alone was nine pounds empty. The contents of the pack weighed about ten pounds. My wool pants, shirt, jacket and long johns made up the rest. This does not include my 8-9 pound rifle. It never occurred to me that my clothing weighed so much.
After much consideration and research I decided to spend the money and drop the weight. I have replaced all my clothing and my pack with products from Kuiu. My entire load out including rain gear and jacket now weight less than 25 pounds. Even less if the weather is warm.
My pack is about four pounds empty. My clothing including jacket weights less than my wool pants.
The point here is to keep your weight low. Every ounce matters when you are covering 7-8 miles a day at 11k feet.

My boots are mainly Salomon. For snow and mud I change to 200g Irish Setter Elk Trackers.

Our group carries radios to stay in touch. With five of us doing our own thing within a few miles of each other its nice to make sure everyone is safe.
We use the Baofeng BF-F8HP radios with 3800mAh batteries and the Nagoya-24j antennas. We also have a mobile set up as a base radio in camp (we all have our ham lic). These radios work much better than we expected given the terrain.

I don't know how far you are traveling. Our group travels from SC to Colorado by truck and drag a trailer to haul all our crap.
We decided to cut our processing and shipping cost by butchering and packaging our elk in camp. We also added a chest freezer to the trailer. We can now prepackage much of our food, freeze it, and take it with us. We can also get our elk home with no worries.

A GPS with onxmaps is worth its weight in gold. We also have a 2x3' laminated topo/arial photo map of the area we plan to hunt. It is invaluable for planning the days hunt. Each person marks where they plan to go so we know were to look if they don't come back on time.

I use 10x50 binos. I have a spotting scope but where we hunt it's useless. The forest is too dense.

Start getting in shape now. I find that climbing stairs with my pack works well. We also do 5-10 mile rucks throughout the summer.
Get to the range. If possible practice from improvised positions. You will never shoot an elk from the bench. I just finished loading 150 rounds of practice ammo and may need more before the season starts.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip! Be forewarned, elk hunting is a disease. Once you get it you're hooked for life.
View Quote
Thanks for the info! What Kuiu pack are you using? I've been having a hard time getting good info on those.

The M5 pack that I posted above is 6.5 pounds empty.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Pro 1850. It's a touch small but keeps me from carrying extra crap that I don't really need. My buddy has the 3000 size and its a bit large for a day pack. I noticed that they now have a 2200 size. That one might be just right.
The frame is the same for all their pack sizes. If you decide you need a bigger pack you just need to buy the bag and swap it out. The bag also pulls away from the frame so you can strap an elk quarter in between.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, Rokslide is the Arfcom of Western big game hunting.

Use the search feature and you will learn a ton. The EE there is really good. You need a few posts to use it, but go to the FNG area and introduce yourself, make some responses, and you will be gtg. Honestly, the place is awesome.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Kuiu, my favorite pack.  I use the 3000 ultra, but they discontinued that size.  Just right for me, plus the thing is light as can be.  I tend to carry enough stuff to spend the night out, and I hunt solo.

Been thru a succession of cheaper packs, none of them fit my tall frame right.  Kuiu offers different frame sizes, and there is a lot of adjustability beyond that.  Their frames are made in California, but the bags and suspension are offshored.  Still very well made, and a lifetime warranty.  Mine has taken a beating and not even a tear.

Be aware the Ultra line is the lightest fabric to hit the lightest weight.  I did buy the standard weight shoulder straps for this year, a little more padding will be nice after carrying 30-40 lbs all day for 4 weeks of archery.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 11:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
And like Flinch said, hit the Rokslide.  Good intel there.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sbye:
So I think I have decided on a pack. I decided that I want to go with one that I can throw my rifle in. My gun is way too heavy for this, but I am going to make it work lol. Instead of having it in a sling all day I like the idea of throwing it on the pack. I think that will make the weight more manageable. Also, this pack has wings that fold out and allow you to strap meat in there and carry it out.
View Quote
Stuff happens fast in the elk woods and when it does you need to be fast or you will miss out. A rifle on a pack doesn't do you much good when you happen across a bull moving around or bedded in your travel path. As I always say "A sling on a rifle is only useful for when you have to take a pee". Check out the Kifaru gun bearer, this system secures the firearm nicely, keeps most of the weight on the pack hip belt and the rifle is easy to get into position fast.

Don't skimp on your pack to save a few bucks, even a weight weenie like myself ends up packing 20 to 30 pounds in my pack with the all the necessitates, food and water a guy needs for a long day in the elk woods. 30 pounds all day for a week really gets old in a crappy pack, add to the mix 150 to 200 pounds of elk that needs to be hauled out if your lucky and a crappy pack just sucks. My go to hunting pack is the Mystery Ranch Cabinet.

Also as others have suggested head over to Rokslide if you haven't already as there is a wealth of info for the first timer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Tagging for future reference... planning on an elk hunt sometime before I'm too old to take the climb!

@KiloBravo
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:47:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ggibbs] [#8]
My first elk hunt was in 1987 in the San Juan Wilderness of Colorado. Hunted off and on then spent about 7 years hunting every year in earnest for elk in northern NM. Everything was DIY and 6 bulls later (4 for me, 2 for my pop)I learned tons. The most important thing I learned when seriously hoofing it up and down mountains was WEIGHT is your #1 enemy. The more I went, the less I carried. So here are some suggestions:

- Lighten your rifle. Gigantic scopes are heavy and completely unnecessary when the game you're hunting is damn near as big as a Harley-Davidson. My dedicated elk rifle wears a 4X Burris. The last bull I killed was a shade over 350 yds and I had more than enough magnification. My pop's rifle wore a 1.75-5X until he got into his mid-70's then he switched to a 2-7X to help his aging eyes.

- Forget the bipods and learned to use a good latigo type sling to steady your rifle. If you've ever seen a High Power match and how the competitors use a simple leather sling to shoot ting groups, you'll understand the virtues of a sling.

- My personal preference for boots are the time tested LL Bean "Bean" boots. They're extremely light, comfortable and waterproof. I buy mine 1/2 size large so, if necessary, I can layer wool socks when it's really cold. I used to wear insulated hunting boots but found them too clunky and impossible to walk quietly in most of them.

- If it's going to be cold and possibly wet when/where your hunting, make sure you have some wool clothing as it insulates even when wet, been there, done that, more than once. I normally buy milsurp pants and find old school wool coats and jackets on ebay. You won't win any hunting fashion awards, but you will stay warm.

- Radios, phones, GPS's, all distractions and more weight. You'll be infinitely more cognizant of your surroundings, where you've been and where you're going if you're not fiddling with electronics.

- I carry a fanny pack with a few snacks, a small flashlight, a few extra cartridges and a means to start a fire. If I'm in an area where there's no running water, I carry a bottle or two of water.

- Binoculars, I prefer something like 8x42, simple and rugged. High magnification binos are difficult to steady and require large objective lens to work well in low light, and are heavier.

- I used to carry a rangefinder but realized that estimating the range and hitting an animal that large out to around 400 yds isn't terribly difficult and if it's further than that, most of us have no business shooting anyways. On a side note, I lasered these two bulls at a hair over 600 yds. I have a 600 yd. range here at the house so have shot at that range. But across a canyon with unknown winds....I just enjoyed watching them butt heads ands graze.

- Rifle, again keep it light and any caliber .27 and over is fine. The bullet is what's important. I hunt with a 35 Whelen and handload a 225 gr. Barnes TSX to just under 2700 fps.

ETA- Always carry a small camera. The pictures you take whether you get a bull or not, will provide wonderful memories down the road. Been there, done that oo!

Link Posted: 6/20/2019 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Op, all very good advice in here. I'm also in MI, if you are anywhere near west Michigan you're welcome to try my KUIU pack on if you haven't purchased one already. Buy once, cry one on the pack. If you are anything like me on my first trip, I was instantly hooked and my sub-par pack was the first upgrade. KUIU, Mystery Ranch, EXO, Stone glacier and others are all highly regarded even though they cost some coin. You'll find yourself back out west chasing elk or mulies after your first trip so do yourself a favor and buy a good pack. Your boots are only as good as your socks. Smartwool are great. I used Asolo boots and just got a pair of Crispi which I'm going to break in for this fall. My Asolo boots are awesome but are much heavier and unfortunately starting to come apart. Look into good insoles for your boots as well. That made a world of difference for me. I use Superfeet green. I used a GPS the first two trips, and last year used OnX for the first time. I used that almost exclusively. You can buy just one state access for $30 and if you know the areas you'll be hunting just download maps in that area so you can easily use them without service. Good paper maps are great for planning your day hunts with your hunting partners. As mentioned dress in layers. Depending on your hunting style and temperature you'll need the ability to stay cool while hiking yet warm up when glassing or resting. I only use binos in a chest harness. We haul out a wall tent and woodstove and day hunt from it and surrounding areas. You'll have the time of your life not matter the outcome. Just keep that in mind no matter the outcome of your hunt and it'll be the best adventure of your life!
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 5:08:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye] [#10]
So I finally ordered a backpack. GoHunt.com had a deal that I could not pass up. They had the Mystery Ranch Metcalf marked down from $525 to $393.75. Plus, if you subscribe to their emails they give you a 10% off code, which brought the pack down to $354.38.

Edit: The discount code I used is SVYAJVH25BG6. Not sure if it is good for more than one use.

I think I did pretty well
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#11]
That's a great deal.

No elk tags for us, but we drew really nice mule deer tags.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Took my Metcalf up to 9.7k feet and 12.6 miles the other day.

Felt great, very comfy with a 3 day load. It was my first time out with it, I’m still learning the intricacies of backpacking Colorado backcountry.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Great pack op.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice. Just came out of the mountains myself. Felt much better than the last time I was here.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Great pack op.
View Quote
So do you still-hunt timber during rifle season?
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By flinch08:

So do you still-hunt timber during rifle season?
View Quote
All the time.  Positive results for sure.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 5:44:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By J-L:
- if you're a first responder or mil register for guidefitter. Lots of great pro deals
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 5:57:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By clharr:
Lots of good advice in this thread OP. Fiance and I are going Mule Deer/Elk hunting in CO this October for our honeymoon.
View Quote
She's a keeper! But
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Accurate topo maps are a must. This is my source: My Topo (Custom Printed Maps). These maps are printed on DuPont Tyvek and are DURABLE!
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ggibbs:

- Radios, phones, GPS's, all distractions and more weight. You'll be infinitely more cognizant of your surroundings, where you've been and where you're going if you're not fiddling with electronics.

- snip -

ETA- Always carry a small camera. The pictures you take whether you get a bull or not, will provide wonderful memories down the road. Been there, done that oo!
View Quote
I think it would be foolish, in 2019, not to bring some sort of electronic navigation aid. You can carry the same phone you carry every day, you won't even notice its there, and it doubles as a camera.

But, absolutely, don't fiddle with it. I carry mine, but it stays in my pocket all but a couple minutes out of the day. I drop a pin at camp, or wherever we're supposed to meet later in the day, and then it goes back in the pocket for hours. I very occasionally use it to double check my location, or make sure I'm headed in the right direction, but that's just a quick glance, I'm not walking with it like it's holding my hand.

Gear suggestion - in addition to shooting from various positions, also try it once while wearing your coat and pack. Usually not going to be an issue, but I did miss an opportunity once because the combination of my position and my clothing prevented me from getting a good sight picture.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SnoopisTDI:

I think it would be foolish, in 2019, not to bring some sort of electronic navigation aid. You can carry the same phone you carry every day, you won't even notice its there, and it doubles as a camera.

But, absolutely, don't fiddle with it. I carry mine, but it stays in my pocket all but a couple minutes out of the day. I drop a pin at camp, or wherever we're supposed to meet later in the day, and then it goes back in the pocket for hours. I very occasionally use it to double check my location, or make sure I'm headed in the right direction, but that's just a quick glance, I'm not walking with it like it's holding my hand.

Gear suggestion - in addition to shooting from various positions, also try it once while wearing your coat and pack. Usually not going to be an issue, but I did miss an opportunity once because the combination of my position and my clothing prevented me from getting a good sight picture.
View Quote
Yeah, I will be using my phone with OnX on it. Then I have a Garmin Foretrex 401 as a backup. I will use the 401 to mark the truck, Polaris Ranger, kill site, etc. I'm also going to get some of the toppo maps that @abbaton mentioned above.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SnoopisTDI:

View Quote
I have a couple of old Garmins that I have used for years, I always have one and use it, namely for a waypoint for camp, waypoints on any trail that might be an issue to navigate in foul weather or darkness, or a totally new trail in a new area... and when we go after an animal, it marks where the vehicle is left, as well as the trail down to the animal we take when recovering it..way to many times do we shoot one in the afternoon and then spend 3-5 hours getting it butchered up and on the rig ready to go to camp in the dark..A tough job to find your way back to the trail in pitch black while avoiding any obstacles that could stick you for the night...
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 7:54:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#23]
A gps can save you a lot of boot time in unfamiliar territory. A good one with sat imagery is indispensable for me.

OP, you have a Polaris Ranger. You like it?
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#24]
A gps can save you a lot of boot time in unfamiliar territory. A good one with sat imagery is indispensable for me.

OP, you have a Polaris Ranger. You like it?
View Quote
@DVCER the Polaris Ranger is awesome. We have got our money out of this thing two times over. It gets used almost every weekend of the year and it takes a serious beating. I just picked it up today to have new tires out on it tomorrow and give it a bath.

Link Posted: 8/18/2019 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, I’m trying to buy something like that.  Might be getting that Yamaha Wolverine, X2.   I’d buy a Polaris too if I found the right deal.

Not the same, but this would work.  A 55” RzR.  Thing is like new, but 700 miles.  2015 XC 900

Attachment Attached File

I would like the Ranger style more though.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#26]
The #1 best advice is leave camp way before daylight dont come back till after dark

Gutless method and de bone all your meat I cant believe all the people I see carrying out the hooves or 2 guys spending 3 days to pack one out

I carry 4 cheap game bags a trash bag and latex gloves all vac sealed together when it hits the ground I start skinning1/4 goes in my pack the rest is hung if there is snow I'll sled the rest out
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Iowaredneck:

The #1 best advice is leave camp way before daylight dont come back till after dark

Gutless method and de bone all your meat I cant believe all the people I see carrying out the hooves or 2 guys spending 3 days to pack one out

I carry 4 cheap game bags a trash bag and latex gloves all vac sealed together when it hits the ground I start skinning1/4 goes in my pack the rest is hung if there is snow I'll sled the rest out
View Quote
That is all good advice.   I’ll be vac sealing my game bags too.  I do like the light canvas game bags though.  And thanks for the sled reminder, I have second season rifle cow coming up.

Just off my two week bow hunt.  So close to filling that tag a few times but couldn’t close the deal.

I did get a helper though and this thing rocks.  Yamaha Wolverine!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 9:11:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#28]

That is all good advice.   I’ll be vac sealing my game bags too.  I do like the light canvas game bags though.  And thanks for the sled reminder, I have second season rifle cow coming up.

Just off my two week bow hunt.  So close to filling that tag a few times but couldn’t close the deal.

I did get a helper though and this thing rocks.  Yamaha Wolverine!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/1F565AD7-5B74-4B6D-BCB6-46FD8CD0AF1B_jpeg-1105229.JPG
View Quote
That's a nice looking ride I want a honda pioneer 5 seater in the worst way myself. I am starting a new job on Monday so my annual rifle elk hunt will have to be missed this year was going to go out for a week to fish and scout for next years archery but on short notice couldn't find anyone to ride along
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Pack: exo mountain gear

GPS: use onX maps on your phone
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 11:12:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye] [#30]
Okay, so I think I have purchased everything that I need so I will try to put together a list of all the gear I am bringing. Hopefully this will help out some other people in the same boat as me.

Pack: Mystery Ranch Metcalf
GPS: OnX on phone with Garmin Foretrex 401 as a backup (Also bringing portable battery charger for phone)
Binoculars: Leupold BX-3 Mojave 10x42 Pro Guide HD
Tripod: Leupold Compact Tabletop Tripod with Leupold Bino Adapter
Range Finder: Older Bushnell that I have had for years. Decided to just use that instead of buy a new one.
Bino Harness: FHF Gear Pro-M Harness
Range Finder Holder: FHF Gear with retention lanyard - Mounts to the bino harness
Boots: Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX
Gaiters: Kenetrek Hunting
Trekking Poles: LEKI Corklite
Headlamp: Petzl Tactikka 350 Lumen (Red, Blue, Green)
Rifle Sling: Kifaru Gun Bearer
Game Bags: Caribou Gear Wapiti Ultra Light
Hydration Carrier: Platypus Big Zip 2L
Fixed Blade Knife: Gerber Gator Premium Gut Hook Knife
Replaceable Blade Knife: Havalon Forge
Saw: Gerber Vital Pack Saw
Rain Jacket and Pants: Cabela's MT050 Quiet Rain
Coolers: RTIC 145 quart and 65 quart - If we shoot more than one we will have to buy more
Radios: Baofeng UV-5R (Not sure how much we will use these, but will try if we split up)
- Latex Gloves
- Batteries
- Waterproof Butane Lighter
- US Army GI Military Gel Fuel & Fire Starter
- Emergency Mylar Blanket
- IFAK
- Wool Socks
- Leatherman
- Elk mouth reed
- Waterproof pouches for license, phone, etc.
- Nalgene Bottle

Still Need:
- Water Filter
- Gloves: Haven't purchased yet, but I have a bunch
- Food/Freezedried Food
- Powdered Drink Mixes
- Bugle Tube

I have probably missed some things, but let me know if you have any suggestions. I'm aware there are some things I may not need/use, but I'll start figuring that out as I go. My plan is to kind of do an AAR on the gear after the hunt
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I would carry a small handheld light too.  Otherwise your list looks good.  
Doubt you’ll need a grunt tube, cow calls are plenty.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#32]
You need some parachute cord...
You need a turtle fur balaclava...
You need some kind of wipe/cleaner for optics...
You might want some citric spray for the quarters...
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I would carry a small handheld light too.  Otherwise your list looks good.  
Doubt you’ll need a grunt tube, cow calls are plenty.
View Quote
I do have a Streamlight handheld that I am bringing. Forgot it from the list.
Good, I'll skip the grunt tube. I didn't want to carry it anyway lol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
You need some parachute cord...
You need a turtle fur balaclava...
You need some kind of wipe/cleaner for optics...
You might want some citric spray for the quarters...
View Quote
I do have parachute cord, forgot to list it. I also have a wipe for the optics.

The turtle fur balaclava is a good idea, I'll pick one up.
This is the first time I've heard citric acid. I Googled it and say it's to keep flies off. Thanks! I will pick some up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#35]
If you have game bags you’ll be fine.  Very few flies right now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#36]
This guy shares my sentiments.   Good binos, good boots, good range finder, have fun.

Originally Posted By ag04blast:
I'll start that I havent Elk hunted in Wyoming, but:

1) Radios - be careful many states have restrictions on electronic measures to aid in hunting and use of radios can be viewed as one.  For emergency/etc. make sure you have planned times and met up locations, etc.

2) GPS - many great units out there, I am still using a 10yr old Garmin.  Know how to use it and, again state dependent, make sure your maps show private land!

3) Pack - Eberlestock is GTG but pricey.  I use a Crooked Horn pack, which I dont think they make any more.  If you pack out meat your needs may vary. I use 2 different packs - a bow hunter style hip pack with shoulder harness to my long day treks and then a large internal frame Crooked Horn pack for carrying meat out (retrieve it after a kill).

4) Kestrel - would be nice but not worth the money.  Use a good ballistic app and know your distances and holds.  Depending on terrain I find a good range finder with angle capability much more important.

5)  Boots - I used to be a merril fan but their quality isnt what it used to be.  BE CAREFUL with anything labeled waterproof, because it may not be.  Pre-test your gear.

Other general comments:

-layers are always better than high dollar fancy single specific use clothing
-I always have two sets of boots a lighter weight par and a heavy snow boot for days that we get a big hit of snow - again I dont know what your weather will be like
-be smart about your gear, all sorts of shit sounds great on day one but a couple extra pounds gets heavy if you are doing lots of hiking
-dont know how you will hunt but typically he who covers the most ground sees the most elk
-I dont mess with a spotting scope, rather stick with good binos with a nice chest rig (I use the Crooked Horn and it has been great for the last 8yrs)
-dont be discouraged, elk are smart and hard to find
-we typically rent a sat phone for camp, prices are pretty cheap and we are always 2hrs from cell service
-we use ATVs to cover more ground as we are unable to pre-scout.  Despite our best efforts of using sat images to find good places we want to hunt when we get there a lot can have changed or be different and ATVs work well to not mess with moving camp and be able to travel to other locations before we hit out on foot.
-I like a safari sling, you can carry in a number of positions which helps based on the terrain and if you get fatigue with certain shoulder positions

Again I dont know what Wyoming is like but we do a lot of miles on foot, and as tough as it is, I love it.

Our crew is completely self taught over the years.  I would say read lots, leverage websites for info, talk to locals if you can (even the game warden), and have fun.

Ill add, Here I posted our typical camp setup.  We starting in regular dome tents yr one and froze our asses off!
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Solid list, OP.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Get good boots and good binos. A spotting scope is overkill for a lot of scenarios.

For boots look at Kenetreks, Crispi, Hanwag, etc. I personally use Kenetrek Mt Extemes, and I'll never use another brand because of their level of service.

As far as binos go, there are a lot of good options out there. You won't see REAL quality until $1k. Maven's products are good and were what I was going to upgrade to but I had always wanted some Swaros. I was not disappointed.

As far as a gun and other gear, it's all up to you. Thats more support equipment. The gun isn't going to get used all that much compared to boots and binoculars.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Departing for Wyoming now with the new truck I picked up a few weeks back. Bad news is that my father went to the hospital this morning with gallbladder issues. He will probably be getting that taken out then flying out to meet me. Still waiting to see how everything pans out. I have to get out there because a friend of mine is flying into Cheyenne and I have to pick him up from the airport.

Link Posted: 10/11/2019 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Make sure you have spares for the trailer and tools....good luck...
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Just enjoy it all, you are going where many wish they were.  Good luck with dad too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Awesome. Good luck and stay persistent.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 5:47:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye] [#43]
Thanks everyone. We did some scouting this morning and didn't see anything. Then had to pack up and get my dad from the airport. The plan for tomorrow is to hike through some timber and see what we can find. Since my dad just had surgery we're going to park the Ranger on a ridge above the timber in case we spook anything out of it. He has to hang out with the Ranger because he doesn't want to push it by hiking or carrying a pack.

View from one of the peaks this morning.

The drive back down the mountain
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Best of luck for a successful hunt!
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Hope you have better luck than I did! Hopefully muleys will be better for 2nd season
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Good Hunting!   I’m heading out Thursday for rifle elk, and I’m pumped.

Hope to repeat this, two cows down and we were able to back right up to them, courtesy of CPW.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 11:01:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye] [#47]
No luck on day one. Hiked through the timber for miles. There were tons of tracks and scat, but never saw an elk.

My dad sat by the Ranger and had a cow come within 20 yards of him.

If you look closely you can see 2 deer on the right side

My setup

My rifle is too damn heavy and not ideal for this kind of hunting, but with the Kifaru Gun Bearer it's not a problem at all.

This part was probably the worst part of the hike. We had hiked for miles and planned to hike up this cliff (looked more like a hill on OnX. I guess I need to look more closely). So we had a pretty tough hike to get to the top.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#48]
That looks like a lot of gun.    You are most likely to find the elk in the thick timber, but early and late in the day they can be caught coming out into the openings.   Nearly all my elk are killed in the timber under 100, about half of them at mid day.

Are they bugling any?  If they are a cow call will bring them in if the wind is right.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:14:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#49]
And if you are finding fresh, really green squishy elk shit keep hunting that area.  If it is dried out keep moving.   They usually have kind of a favored area that they move through in a pattern.  Could be only a mile or several miles, but they will stay there till something spooks them out.

Probably lots of water in all those drainages, so sitting on a water source can be pretty iffy.   You might find a favorite crossing in a drainage or above/below a big rock slide, those are good to sit on.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:41:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OldHenryRifle] [#50]
Originally Posted By sbye:
Put in for Wyoming tags and somehow drew with only 1 preference point. Wasn't expecting to draw, so now I am trying to prepare and need some advice.

There will be a group of 4 of us (3 have tags and 1 is coming to help out). This will be self guided so we are going to have to learn as we go. Also, this will be a public land rifle hunt.

I'm mainly looking for suggestions on gear. What have you brought that worked well? Anything that you brought that was useless?

Things I am looking into right now:

GPS: Looking at the Garmin Foretrex 601. It's nice and compact and can be worn on the wrist or attached to a pack.

Looking for a pack. I have no idea where to go with this one. Would something like the Eberlestock M5 Team Elk Pack be good? Anything else I should be looking at?

I'm going to pick up some new boots and start breaking them in now. Any suggestions? Would some Merril high top waterproof hiking boots be fine?

Looking at picking up a Kestrel possibly with the Applied Ballistics app. Is this necessary?

We are thinking of splitting up into two groups of two. I have some radios (Baofeng UV-5R) that aren't the best, but could be helpful if there is no cell service. Would this be helpful?

Spotting scope necessary? Or would binos be fine?

Also need a new range finder. Was thinking about picking up a SilencerCo Radius to mount to the gun. Would I be better off just buying a hand held? What would you suggest?

Anything else you can think of that would help out a first timer?
View Quote
Bring a compass and a map, in addition to a GPS.

A pack is largely up to personal preference.  Bring good game bags.

Boots are up to personal preference.  Merrill's, Lowa's, White's, Danner's, etc.

No, not necessary.

Radio's won't have any kind of usable range in elk country.

Spotting scopes are useful if you're trophy hunting.  If you're meat hunting, Binos are fine.

A hand held range finder will be fine.

Bring a come along or two. And a way to purify water.  Make sure you're in good shape.  Shooting sticks are useful.  Practice from field positions.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top