Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haven't seen that one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
9.3x62mm is chambered in some very modern rifles. HK even made a Semi-Autos for it. 
Haven't seen that one.

My HK SLB 2000 with a factory barrel can be in 9.3x62mm. HK released them in Europe.

Here's a video of one.

Heckler & Koch 2000 SLB 9,3X62
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#2]
So I take it that recoil is not a huge factor on the 9.3x62 Mauser?

How does 9.3x62 recoil compare to a .375 H&H?. I did shoot a .375 H&H years ago but I can't recall along about the recoil.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/wHFx9rM.jpg

My HK SLB 2000 with a factory barrel can be in 9.3x62mm. HK released them in Europe.

Here's a video of one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ow7Se2xCbs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
9.3x62mm is chambered in some very modern rifles. HK even made a Semi-Autos for it. 
Haven't seen that one.

Here's a video of one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ow7Se2xCbs
That’s a pretty cool rifle.

Mind you, I haven’t been speaking out against 9.3. I’ve just been more pointing out some rather silly things I’ve heard.

If the OP would more define his idea of “big game,” the question would be a lot easier to answer.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I take it that recoil is not a huge factor on the 9.3x62 Mauser?

How does 9.3x62 recoil compare to a .375 H&H?. I did shoot a .375 H&H years ago but I can't recall along about the recoil.
View Quote
9.3x62mm can provide 85-95% of the power (dependent on the exact load) with less recoil and with the added bonus of being able to fit in a rifle with a standard length action instead of the magnum length action required by the .375 H&H. Modern 9.3x62mm factory loads generally fire a 220-320gr bullet at velocities between 2,200 and 2,650 feet per second. However, a 286gr bullet at approximately 2,350 feet per second is probably the most popular load. This load produces over 3,500 foot pounds of energy and is an deadly combination for deer, feral hog, elk, caribou, moose, black bear, and large plains game species like kudu and eland.

The 9.3x62mm can also work as a great cartridge when hunting the Big 5 like Cape Buffalo and elephant, or other species dangerous game like hippopotamus where legal. Though some countries, like Tanzania, have a minimum caliber of .375 for dangerous game hunting (the 9.3mm is .366 caliber), Mozambique has no minimum caliber and Zimbabwe has a minimum caliber of 9.2mm. 

One of the reasons that the 9.3x62mm cartridge performs so well on large and dangerous game is because it penetrates deeply and consistently. This is partly due to the fact that the bullet has a high sectional density (a measure of the ratio of the diameter of a projectile to its mass). All other things equal, a heavier projectile of a given caliber will be longer and therefore have a higher sectional density and consequently penetrate deeper than projectiles with a lower mass and sectional density. As an example 286gr and 293gr 9.3mm bullets have sectional densities of .305 and .312 respectively. This compares favorably to 270gr and 300gr .375 caliber bullets (the most popular weights for that caliber) which have sectional densities of .274 and .305 respectively.

Another advantage that the 9.3x62mm has is the relatively light (for a medium bore dangerous game rifle) recoil that it generates. While the exact amount of recoil generated depends on the load used (more powerful loads generate more recoil) and the weight of the rifle (heavier rifles have less recoil), the 9.3x62mm generates between 65-85% of the recoil of the .375 H&H. For comparison, this is only 20-30% more recoil than a typical rifle chambered in .30-06.

Sako, Ruger, Zastava, Steyr, and CZ all produce rifles chambered in 9.3x62mm. With a premium rifle chambered in 9.3x62mm, one could legally and ethically hunt virtually every species on Earth from white tailed deer to elephant. 
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You posted this in the Big Game forum.  So I'm assuming you are looking for something for elk,moose and the like...

Recoil seems to be dependent on a few things.  Rifle weight is one.  Stock geometry is another.  And speed of recoil is a third....

If you hate recoil, but a heavy rifle.  Period.    Forget the super flyweight rifles.  A flyweight rifle, even in something moderate like a 308, can kick HARD.  Heavy attenuates recoil.

Avoid seriously dog legged stocks, those with a lot of drop at the heel.  Think more along the lines of minimal drop at the comb and heel.  And find a WIDE buttplate.  When it comes to girlfriends and wives, wide isn't good.  But you want a rifle with a big wide butt.  

think modest speed.  You can crank a 180 grain bullet up to 3200 fps under a lot of powder in a 300 Magnum.  Or you can come up with a load using a slower, heavier bullet that generates the same sort of energy.  Think along the lines of 225 gr at 2600 fps out of a Whelen.  Although they offer near identical 100 yard performance, the Whelen won't kick as FAST.  To me, they feel more like a big push or shove instead of a vicious kick.

I've read over and over about how the old Remington 600's in 350 Rem Mag were hard kickers.  I bought a Rem 673 in 350 Rem Mag, loaded 225 grain nosler Partitions to 2660 fps.  This is serious medicine.  Recoil was very manageable.  It was a heavier rifle, with the correct stock geometry and a powerful, but slower, chambering.  In all honesty, it didnt seem much different than hot loads in my light Model Seven 308....

If you want a BIG game cartridge with big game power but moderate recoil, forget the magnums and look for a full rifle in something like an 30-06, 35 Whelen, 338-06 or the like.  Think heavy bullets at 2700 fps......

If you want a deer rifle, seriously consider the 6.5 Creedmore.  I've been a big 6.5 fan for years, long loving the .260 Rem.  The 6.5 Creedmoor is better.  It's got much better potential than any 243, it shots wonderfully, is accurate, has very mild recoil, and with all the new high BC bullets, it will perform at ranges that are amazing.  I just bought a Tikka CTR 20" in 65 Creedmoor.  Its wonderful.  I'm not thinking of it on anything bigger than caribou (its not a moose gun in my book), but for anything under 400 lbs, use a good bullet and its in the freezer.
View Quote
Dad has a rem 600 in 350rm.... With full house loads it is NOT FUN AT ALL. Most feel concussed after shooting that tiny rifle.... Once again NOT FUN.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Miami_JBT

Thanks for that awesome response. It sounds like the 9.3x62 Mauser might be the way to go.

One final question, how does the recoil and ballistic performance compare to the 35 Whelen?

Does anyone on here live in the vicinity of Northeastern Kentucky who might have a 9.3x62 Mauser or 35 Whelen that I could shoot a couple of times? I'd glad buy the ammo.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#7]
9.3x62 is a great round.

Something else for your consideration is the 6.5-284. Not a big bore, but plenty capable. There aren't many floating around to try though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Miami_JBT

Thanks for that awesome response. It sounds like the 9.3x62 Mauser might be the way to go.

One final question, how does the recoil and ballistic performance compare to the 35 Whelen?

Does anyone on here live in the vicinity of Northeastern Kentucky who might have a 9.3x62 Mauser or 35 Whelen that I could shoot a couple of times? I'd glad buy the ammo.
View Quote
Not a clue.... don't know much about .35 Whelen. 

I have a soft spot for the 9.3x62mm. I will have one soon enough. It really is a jack of all trades cartridge. 
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is pretty cool in a ugly rifle kind of way.  

OP, want a wildcat?

Had a Mauser show up today in 7mm Gibbs.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a soft spot for the 9.3x62mm. I will have one soon enough. It really is a jack of all trades cartridge. 
View Quote
Whelen, being based on the 30-06 is slightly longer than the 9.3x62, so it takes a bit more knowledge to fit it in a Mauser.  (We are talking about Mausers, right????)
Whelen tends to be loaded with lighter bullets at higher velocity than the x62, but essentially the ballistics are interchangeable.  

With all this discussion about the x62, I thought I should point the OP and JBT at some 9.3x57 rifles.  

The x57 runs right on the heels of the x62.  Ammo can be hard to find, but you aren't going to trip over x62 in most gunshops.

For those on a budget who want to give the 9.3 a try:   >>>>CLICK HERE<<<<
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:47:31 AM EDT
[#11]
The 35 Wheln is. 35-06. Two of the best loads for. Are 225 and 250gr

The 9.3x6 is basically a .366-06 it's beat load is the traditional 286gr (I like the Barnes TSX).

I doubt if you shoot them side by side you can tell the difference and th critters are wont know.

I love the 9.3 so much I have a pair of them. A CZ and. Sauer 200. My next project will
Be rebarreling a Ruger #1 to 9.3x74R nich is pretty much the rimmed twin of th 62.

I dot know if the OP reloads but anothe good one is the 338-06 or even better the 338-06 Improved.  With 225 gr bullets it is another hammer with manageable recoil.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 1:06:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Hasher1

What is your experience with 9.3x62 Mauser recoil?
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Whelen, being based on the 30-06 is slightly longer than the 9.3x62, so it takes a bit more knowledge to fit it in a Mauser.  (We are talking about Mausers, right????)
Whelen tends to be loaded with lighter bullets at higher velocity than the x62, but essentially the ballistics are interchangeable.  

With all this discussion about the x62, I thought I should point the OP and JBT at some 9.3x57 rifles.  

The x57 runs right on the heels of the x62.  Ammo can be hard to find, but you aren't going to trip over x62 in most gunshops.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9.3x57mm is a fine cartridge but not African Safari capable. 
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
 I'm just the opposite - really like my 35 Whelen but have zero experience with the 9.3x62. If you are set up for one there really isn't much point in having the other, they cover the exact same things.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is GTG for North America and budget friendly.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are quite right on that and those Husqvarna rifles are exquisitely beautiful.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Are Husqvarna rifles really good quality?
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I scanned the pages quickly, but I believe they were all Model 46s or versions of the 46.

Essentially the Model 46 is the same action as the Mauser 1896, which was the best of the pre-98 Mauser actions.  

Do be aware that most of those rifles were built in the era before scopes were common, so the stock may be too low at the comb compared to modern rifles.  The action may also not be drilled/tapped for scope mounts.

Both can be dealt with.  Just be.aware.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
9.3x62mm Mauser
View Quote
This.

.30-06 level recoil and Hammer of Thor killin' authority.

I ain't afraid to tackle any critter in North America with my CZ-550 American.

Link Posted: 11/1/2017 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, primo Scandinavian European Quality.

But 9.3x57mm is not an easy cartridge to find on this side of the pond. 
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hasher1

What is your experience with 9.3x62 Mauser recoil?
View Quote
It's a little more than an 06 with heavy bullets.  

I think it's a pussy cat.

Recoil is much more about gun weight and stock design than cartridge choice.

One of th worst beatings I have ever taken from a gun was helping a guy sight in a super light weight 270 off the bench.l
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Won't feel the recoil when hunting, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Haven't seen that one.
View Quote
CZ is currently chambering their 550 in the 9.3x62.  They are very well built rifles and accurate to boot.

The 9.3x62 doesn't look like it's much on paper ballistic wise but it has a proven track record of taking very large game on a regular basis.  If you are shooting at normal hunting distances 300yds and under it will be an effective killer.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#24]
9.3x62mm is a proven cartridge. Been doing a hell of a job in Africa since 1905.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
9.3x62mm is a proven cartridge. Been doing a hell of a job in Africa since 1905.
View Quote
I have a Husky/FN 98 in 9.3x62 headed this way.  
Owner wants a classic American stock.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#26]
What the heck is wrong with a 30-06 or .308? Either will take elk and moose and recoil isn't bad. Also relatively cheap ammo. Personally, I like the 30-06 as an all around caliber.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Somebody please explain the love for an antique German load when other modern cartridges do the job much better and don't come in crappy old rifles.

A 308Win in a good modern design would be better than a tank of an old Mauser.
View Quote
Although .308 is near and dear to my heart you could be quite wrong with the right Mauser.   A nice rifle in a classic cartridge with controlled round feeding, a mannlicher stock with a 20” barrel would be a joy.   An classic caliber selection; 6.5x55 Swedish, 7mm Mauser (.275 Rigby), or our own .270 Winchester would pair well.   That is if you wanted old school and light recoil.

A Ruger plastic stocked .308 won’t have nothing on that other than you can drag it through the mud and not bat an eye.  Frankly if I get a stock ding while on a hunt it’s a character mark.  Much better than guns that never leave the house and remain pristine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What the heck is wrong with a 30-06 or .308? Either will take elk and moose and recoil isn't bad. Also relatively cheap ammo. Personally, I like the 30-06 as an all around caliber.
View Quote
There’s nothing wrong with those two calibers at all, but there are some people who enjoy the nuanced calibers that you can’t find just to say they have them.

I like them, too.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
9.3x62mm is a fine proven cartridge that does what .30-06 can do and more. Think of it as its African Colonial Cousin.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Can someone recommend a big game cartridge that doesn't have a lot of bad, punishing recoil?

Thanks!
View Quote
9.3 x 62 Mauser
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Developed by German Settlers of South West Africa (modern day Namibia) with the primary goal of having it use a standard commercial Mauser action and not have punishing recoil.
View Quote
Actually it was invented by German gunsmith Otto Bock in 1905 expressly FOR those German colonists as a do-it-all rifle that could be inexpensively converted from the surplus Mausers that all had.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I hear a lot about that 9.3x62 Mauser. I have posted questions about it before.

Maybe I'm just attracted to it because its exotic and German but I'm curious as to what you guys say about its recoil factor?
View Quote
Its more than the .30-'06 but definitely not brutal. Brass is a skosh longer than -'06, but bullets are much heavier. Ergo, physics will not be denied!
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#33]
6mm, 243, and 7mm-08.

Also 6.5 Grendel
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Somebody please explain the love for an antique German load when other modern cartridges do the job much better and don't come in crappy old rifles.

A 308Win in a good modern design would be better than a tank of an old Mauser.
View Quote
"Crappy old rifle..."??? Wow, you REALLY need an updated education!

See the rifle with the scope in the pic? That's NOT an old tank of a Mauser. It's a CZ550 American made in the 21st century! A great modern design.

Attachment Attached File

As an aside, your beloved .308 round is also an antique, having been introduced in 1952!
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Can someone recommend a big game cartridge that doesn't have a lot of bad, punishing recoil?

Thanks!
View Quote
300 WW Magnum in a good stock. Stock plays a big role in kick. Second choice would be 300 Weatherby.
Third choice would be one of the 7mm Magnums.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Even the M1 Garand has been successfully converted to the 9.3!
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote
9.3 x 62 Mauser is always the answer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
$50 per 20 rounds! With the added bonus of not being available anywhere. Sounds like Arfcom making things harder than they have to be.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
$50 per 20 rounds! With the added bonus of not being available anywhere. Sounds like Arfcom making things harder than they have to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a fantastic cartridge and most big game loads are close to that in price unless you reload. Looked at .45-70 prices?
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It is a fantastic cartridge and most big game loads are close to that in price unless you reload. Looked at .45-70 prices?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or any Weatherby caliber.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#41]
If you have a .30-06, .308, etc. you just need to start reloading.

I load 125gr .308 loads to 7.62x39mm velocities for range and plinking loads for my wife and daughter.  They enjoy shooting their .308 bolt guns at steel plates at 100+ yards.  The more practice they get the better they will be in the game fields.

I also put on a Limbsaver brand recoil pad on both of their rifles and they really do a great job of soaking up recoil.

They transition to 150gr hunting loads without a lot of problems.  The usual comment is "they don't kick that hard" which is what I want to hear.

No reason you have to get beaten up by recoil if you don't want to.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#42]
9.3x62 can be bought for as low as $21 a box for Priv, or $25 for seller, even Hornady has some for $34.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you have a .30-06, .308, etc. you just need to start reloading.

I load 125gr .308 loads to 7.62x39mm velocities for range and plinking loads for my wife and daughter.  They enjoy shooting their .308 bolt guns at steel plates at 100+ yards.  The more practice they get the better they will be in the game fields.

I also put on a Limbsaver brand recoil pad on both of their rifles and they really do a great job of soaking up recoil.

They transition to 150gr hunting loads without a lot of problems.  The usual comment is "they don't kick that hard" which is what I want to hear.

No reason you have to get beaten up by recoil if you don't want to.
View Quote
Which is why 9.3x62mm is a great cartridge. A lot of thump for little recoil.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Glad you guys enjoy it. Read up on it a bit and sounds like a rifle caliber with some nice attributes. Runs out of gas quick but leaves a big hole.

Reloading is not a hobby I wish to pursue. Too busy for that, but the 9.3 has some great factory loads. As does the .300WM, which are actually sold places I go.

Sounds like recoil is still substantial with the 9.3X62, which makes me wonder why you guys would recommend it. Far more than a .308 or 7mm-08, which is more than enough for everything up to elk.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Recoil on the 9.3 should be no worse than a 300 Mag. And all the 9.3 talk is because the title says BIG GAME. Some bear guides are requiring medium or big bore rifles now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Recoil on the 9.3 should be no worse than a 300 Mag. And all the 9.3 talk is because the title says BIG GAME. Some bear guides are requiring medium or big bore rifles now.
View Quote
Oh. I see. Brown bear are considered DANGEROUS GAME, not big game. I would sure be looking at large bore if that was the case. Most people think deer and elk when discussing big game. Black bear, turkey, antelope. Not cape buffalo and elephant.

ETA: Regardless, it has been interesting to learn about. Visions of still hunting elk in the dark timber haunt my dreams for which it would be ideal.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Go now, don't wait. Hunting out west is getting expensive.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

9.3x62mm Mauser
View Quote
This. In a CZ-550 American rifle- very soft on the shoulder with 270 grain bullets.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
FWIW - Many(most?) of the elephants killed with .308s were poached and shot down with full auto FALs and similar.  It wasn't shot placement, but the number of bullets.

The best known story of a 'light' rifle being used on elephant is Karamojo Bell who used a .275 Rigby (7x57 Mauser).  But the 7x57 was known for its penetration with its original round nose, full patch (FMJ) bullets.  He shot over 1000 elephants.
Karamojo Bell

Also, I don't think of factory rifles as very interesting or cool.  YMMV.
View Quote
Read somewhere that the 308 has probably killed more elephants in the last 30 years than any other caliber.  The Fal is the preferred weapon of modern elephant poachers.  Doesn't mean its something you should use on that size of game!  For buffalo sized game anything adequate is going to kick.  Best might be something like the 45-70  with heavy  bullets at 1500 fps or so it killed a ton of buffalo in its day
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not a thing but they aren't african big 5 calibers(although they would likely work fine for lion)  and are probably a little light for american buffalo and coastal brown bears.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top