Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2017 12:35:35 AM EDT
Next year I will be moving due to military so this will be my last hunting season. I have lived in Washington State for 3 years and have 0 kills for elk or deer.  I am thinking about trying muzzleloader this year. Any recommendations or tips?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:12:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I only ever hunted muzzleloader once. We did a late season hunt that was actually in January I think in Ione above Spokane. It was a whitetail only hunt and had never hunted them before. It was fun neither me or my dad got anything but still a good time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:27:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Muzzleloader is my preference, much better season than modern. The best thing you can do is pick an area, and spend time there year round camping, game cams, hiking, etc and learn where the animals travel and go.

Or try something totally different than what you've done and travel, hard to beat places off the best path. I hunted outside Colville last year, very different than west side areas and it was very enjoyable. Lots of wildlife.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I went on a Muzzleloader hunt as an observer/pack mule in WA back in 2010.  Went with a friend who had switched from rifle hunting because Muzzleloader was a better season.  He shot a nice buck just north of Vancouver, WA.  Not much hunting pressure is the reason he stated for the switch.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, muzzleloader seasons are a bit better.

I tried it, but back to modern this year.

Prefer the extended range and knock down power of modern, but agree that muzzleloader is effective in the right hands.

A little wary of the rules on how the muzzleloader has to be set up in Washington, I had a learning curve. Was getting decent groups out to 75 yards with my .50 caliber patched round balls, but Mr. Buck didn't show up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I only use Sabots, I've been using the Hornady SSTs...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top