Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2017 10:22:51 AM EDT
And nothing but elk tracks around it .  Left a cam and built a small ground blind.  Going back tomorrow and I'll sit on it .  

Lots of hunters in the area, but this is pretty hard to find.  Only a mile from the road too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag for pics.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#2]
There will be pics
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tag for pics.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I hunted the same public ground in wyoming for many years. I got to know where every wallow in the area was. One year I but 5 new game camera off ebay. First day of our 2 week trip I put them all out. Miles of hard hiking to get it done.
A few days later I started hunting back to them and checking them. After 2 weeks I didn't have a single bull elk on any of the cameras.  Had cows and moose but no bulls. They all were fresh and I could smell the elk piss in them but I think my scent messed things up or something. I did stick a nice 5x5 that year though by cow calling around the mushroom patches.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:11:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

A visitor came . Dink 5x, he would eat well.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Which GMU is that? I've already tagged out. Looks like one of the two I know of where I hunt.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Double tap
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Unit 421, my back yard.

Only 90 minutes from the house .
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#9]
And I never got an elk, had a camp up there for 5 weeks and lived in it 3.5 weeks.  Came home once a week for a night or 3.

Still, a great time and mostly beautiful weather.  I miss having elk meat tho.  Since I transitioned to bow it has been a dry spell for me.

Prolly got twenty elk with a rifle in the past, but this is different.

Some pics from archery season 2017

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]
And that dink bull broke my camera too!  Rubbing the tree he snapped the loops off.  I’ll get him next year.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice. Beautiful area. I've hunted 82 the past 4 years. Found a couple wallows there. 
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Incredible place to be so close to home.

I was walking out from that wallow, just getting dark.   Saw some movement ahead, looked like a porcupine so I kept moving, slow and quiet.  Got about 40 more yards, saw the movement again and it was a bear cub, really small too.  A little to the right, a second cub!

Cool for about 1.87 seconds, then you know mommas nearby and you are only 20 yards from her kids.   No kidding, within 2 seconds of spotting the cubs, they spot me, make a little yelp and go climbing up a couple aspens.   That’s my que to exit, and I start quartering away from the cubs, quick and looking everywhere.

Got about 40 yards from the cubs and hear limbs breaking behind me, momma bear had come from the direction of my wallow.   I must have walked right near her.       She stopped at the aspen trees the cubs were at, got up on her hind legs and stared at me.   I’m backing up, thinking how Can I shoot her if I have to.   Fucking bear spray, got left in camp.    Anyway, she never chased me, I got out of there PDQ.    

Damn good times up there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 11:53:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Is the dry spell with the bow because you aren't seeing them or because you can't get a shot?

Bow hunting can be pretty tricky, but it's damn fun.  Often times it is a lot of hunting with very little killing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I’m seeing elk, and a lot of elk sign.  Just have yet to close the deal.

My last couple of Rifle elk were taken at under 40 yards, I just got tired of fighting mud and snow and really wanted a longer season.

This year was a ball buster weather wise.  Really dry and hot first few weeks, and only heard a few bugles all season.    

I could have filled a moose tag pretty easily, but moose tags are pretty hard to draw.  I’m going to start putting in for one though.

Attachment Attached File

I have a couple spots I can go into that I see elk in EVERY time,
Pretty sure I could take one too.  They don’t get pushed around by hunters much down there.    Problem is the pack out, 1200’ of climbing with a quarter on my back.    I go down there just to watch the show.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top