Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2017 6:00:23 PM EDT
Long time viewer/first time poster.  Just moved to SW Montana a few months ago.  While i wait the agonizing 6 months before i can get resident hunting tags, i've been trying to put together some loose plans for hunts.  Been hunting big bucks in Kansas all my life as well as coyotes/turkey/waterfowl but i want to step into what this great state has to offer.  Any avid Montana hunters out there have some advice for a newbie?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Bob Marshall is a good area to hunt.   Go to local gun shops and ranges to get some "local" advice.

As you know hunters don't give up their favorite hunting spots.

Best way to go, hunt private land.  But that takes time to develop relationships with ranch owners.

Call Ted Turner, he has a yuugge ranch at the Gallatin Gateway.

mm
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the help right off that bat.  I'm in Bozeman currently.  Is Bob Marshall the one up north of Missoula?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have shot a few elk in Montana, my dad used to live in Bozmen and my brother lived in Harden, I worked a few summers in Whitefish.
Our favorite hunting grounds were in the Anaconda area, up by Butte.
Study a state map, look at it close and say to your self "where would I hunt if I was from California?'
Then hunt anywhere else.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#4]
i just assumed they were all on private land having some guide hold their hand and spoon feed them a trophy bull.  I'll have to check out that area as well.  i suspect boots on the ground is going to be my best bet.  Not knowing anyone in this area makes that a little difficult.  I definitely miss having the buddies around to go scout for deer in the summer/fall
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I am in the valley. I hunt. For close afternoon hunts after work, Brackett Creek, Olsen Creek, and Jackson Creek will work. Put in the work to get high though.

Hint: Go where you don't want to go. That's where the elk usually are. Don't get discouraged if it takes a while to find them. Stay persistent.

While there are many trophy bulls on private land, some of the biggest can still be found in the nastiest, darkest, thickest timber you can dream of. Go there. If you smell something that smells slightly like cattle - stop. Sit and listen for a bit.

I shoot cows anyway. Taste better.

I won't post where we normally go.

Archery or Rifle?

And to answer your question, yes, the Bob is east of Flathead Valley.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Great tips, i appreciate it! Not expecting anyone to give up their spots having some of you guys at least point me in the right direction is great so far! i'm not a trophy hunter, i'm a meat hunter and a predator hunter so i'm more than happy to take a cow personally.  I'm rifle all the way but i would love to get into archery if i can ever stop spending money on guns long enough to get a bow! haha
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I've drifted the Beaverhead jumpshooting mallards.Lots of fun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]
^ my man.  waterfowl is my first love
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Killing a elk with a bow is the most fun thing you will experience ever in hunting.
Makes hunting with a rifle just seem too easy. You will not look at hunting the same way ever.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Spend some time reading up on Montana trespass laws.  Just because land isn't posted doesn't mean you can access it.

There is a good app by onxmaps that will show the landowner for every piece of property in the state.  It's an annual subscription, but worth it.   They have a GPS chip for a gps unit also.

Hunt GPS
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw those chips and they're definitely on the "to get" good point.  i've mostly been going off the hunt planner of the wildlife and parks site and adding the boundaries to my iPhone to get me by for now
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Boots on the ground??  Montana is big. 
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Big it is.  There is very little public land in Kansas trying to find game isn't exactly rocket science because you only have a few places to choose from.  Montana so far has been a little overwhelming trying to decide where to start.  That and I've noticed a lot of the public land doesn't have access from public roads? How do people get out to that land if the don't know who owns the private land they need to cross?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Knock on doors.

One of my frustrations with pheasant hunting in the eastern part of the state.  Seem to spend more time knocking on doors than hunting.

The hunt gps app is a big help.  It tells you who owns the land, which is a start.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Very frustrating indeed.  Especially in the western part of the state i've noticed a lot of this land doesn't have a house on it to go knocking.  they're big plots of land owned my LLCs or Trusts.  What good is all this public land if i cant get to it!

that ends my pre coffee frustrated rant
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Since you have a smart phone, do yourself a favor and just pay for OnX annual subscription. Download the maps of the places you will be going, in advance. That's what I do.

As for the sections of public checkerboarded throughout private land, good luck. The Climbing Arrow ranch, the Morgan land, etc up in the north Bridgers is pretty much a no go unless you want to helicopter in. They simply don't allow access across their land. Sucks. I actually dated one of the Morgan daughters for a year or so. She had the crazy, bigly. I had to break it off a few weeks before the main elk season started. Don't regret it, but access to that land would have been amazing. 30k+ acres in the north Bridgers.

You can definitely hit waterfowl on a cast and blast session on the lower Madison. Put in at Black's Ford and float to Three Forks. I've hunted Ennis Lake a lot back when I still had a Jon boat. Put in on the north end and motor to the south end where the river starts snaking towards the lake. Limits almost every day I hunted.

Don't bother with anything along 191. You need horses to hunt that well. The elk are WAY high through there due to hunting pressure. If you down something in there, be prepared for a long fight.

Access is easier the further you get from Bozo. Public roads go further up into the mountains. Especially along the divide. Even the upper Madison valley has lots of access across the Gravellys. That would be a good spot after opening weekend.

One other note... if you are hunting alone, get a Spot or some other beacon. Never know what may happen. When we hunt (3 of us) one person always has a Spot on their person. If you are out there and break a leg, you're screwed without one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Good stuff man.  Good suggestion on the Spot.  That sucks about the people not letting hunters cross their land to get on public plots.  maybe one day we'll get some good access laws like we have for the streams.  I sold my flat bottom i used for waterfowl before the move up here.  nowhere to keep it at the apartment complex so it paid for my gas getting up here in may.  it looks like i'm going to have to scout around for some flooded timber or some good (my preferred method besides boat) layout blind spots for the ducks this year.  Hopefully i can find some avid waterfowlers before then and make a group out of it.  Love hanging out with just the dog, but freezing my a** off seems less miserable when i know the guys next to me are too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Block management.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Get in shape and buy good synthetic clothing.  It's brutally cold during rifle season in Montucky, plus the mountainous terrain and thick brush will wear you out.  Most of my offseason prep involves alot of exercise, if you have poor cardiovascular your heartbeat will shake your sight picture, or you'll just get plain worn out.

I don't bowhunt, but it's a warm weather alternative to general rifle season.  

Don't get discouraged when it seems like everyone else is taggin' out.  Many get access to private land and wont admit it, cause they usually just got a phone call and drove on over to the old ranch.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm slowing trying to get used to the mountain hiking, i consider myself to be in pretty decent shape (competition shooter, and just got done playing college baseball) but the mountains add a new issues.  That and getting the gear to be able to be out in the field for multiple days.  don't have a good frame pack yet, never needed one for whitetail in Kansas.  I've been trying to (slowly and when on sale) add some sitka pieces to my arsenal.  Im definitely a work in progress.  hopefully i'm ready by elk/deer this year.  the thought of having to wait until spring black bear to hunt is eating at me haha
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#21]
You're better off than probably 75% of hunters in MT then. You live here, so acclimation to the altitude helps a lot. Story time: every February, some buddies from the flatlands come visit to ski at Big Sky. Most of them are in better shape than I am. That said, when we get to the top of the peak and are skiing down, I'm not the one huffing and puffing.

Check out Kuiu clothing. I have their Guide Line and love it. Layers mean everything here.

Check out the Mystery Ranch Metcalf pack.

You don't need all kinds of gee whiz gear to get it done for elk. 95% of it is mindset and determination.

What do you have for a rifle?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got a couple Kuiu pieces.  Their new merino base layers are UNREAL comfortable.  my plan is, get the set of kuiu base layers (just because i find them more comfortable than sitkas) try and find a decent priced insulating layer before the summer sale is over, and use my sitka gear i have now as my outer layer.  i don't bowhunt so camo pattern isn't near as important.  But staying warm is haha. I've been hiking the 'M' a few times a week because it's close and seems decently difficult? but i'm comparing it to hills in kansas so it might not be a realistic representation of what i'm going to run into chasing elk and bear
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#23]
i run a few different upper, on my AR depending on what i'm doing.  i have a 16" .223 that gets put to use on foxes mostly.  8.5" 300BLK that i used to use in the deer stand back in Kansas.  20" 6.5 grendel that has been my deer/coyote gun when i'm expecting to take some longer shots, a 458 socom upper that i used for hogs in oklahoma/texas mostly (thats where my rents live)  i've got a Rem 700 in 308 too.  i figured the 308 or 6.5 would be coming with me for elk/bear/pronghorn
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#24]
How fast can you do the M? It's a pretty decent indicator, as it's sort of realistic. A lot of elk hunting (at least in my experience) is humping quickly up 1k of elevation or so, then glassing for a good 30-60 minutes. The biggest thing the M doesn't simulate is moving through timber. Quietly.

I can't tell ya how many elk I've spooked within 50 yards in timber. Even when trying to move quietly. At that point it's just a watch and admire thing. They'll cover an amazing distance in an even more amazing amount of time.

Play the wind as much as possible when you can. Always stay cognizant of the wind.

Sounds like you're pretty decent on clothing. I just use a regular fleece and/or a down jacket (temp and precipitation dependent) as insulating layers. I figure guys have been stalking and killing elk with red plaid wool for years... no reason my Kuiu outer layers alone won't work.

I did spend like $50 for a razor knife with replaceable blades and a short bone saw with the bumper on the end. I'll see if I can find an Amazon link for you. Probably my two most valued pieces of gear... in addition to a Jetboil stove and freeze dried meals.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Never timed myself on the M so i might have to do that this weekend if it's not too packed.  people have been killing all sorts of big game much longer than they have in camo.  I like good camo not because the pattern, but because its usually made really well and keeps my butt warm/dry without adding a ton of bulk.  Is your blade a havalon? i have one of theirs and LOVE it.  never sharpening a blade again lol.  I'd be interested in some guys doing a "gear dump" so to speak to see what all they're packing in on these hunts.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Knife

Rib Cage Saw

Jetboil Stove

Food

If you aren't familiar with Randy Newberg, look up some of his stuff on Youtube.  He does a bag breakdown - really good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never timed myself on the M so i might have to do that this weekend if it's not too packed.  people have been killing all sorts of big game much longer than they have in camo.  I like good camo not because the pattern, but because its usually made really well and keeps my butt warm/dry without adding a ton of bulk.  Is your blade a havalon? i have one of theirs and LOVE it.  never sharpening a blade again lol.  I'd be interested in some guys doing a "gear dump" so to speak to see what all they're packing in on these hunts.
View Quote
Bozeman local, CPA by day, madman big game hunter by fall.  Here's his bag dump:

Newberg bag dump
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Randy is also the host of the RMEF banquet each spring here in Bozeman.  Great guy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I've seen a couple of his videos before, not elk hunting though.  I didn't know he was a Bozo local! might see if i can track him down and have him put me in his pack on his next hunt with some bino's just for the education
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've seen a couple of his videos before, not elk hunting though.  I didn't know he was a Bozo local! might see if i can track him down and have him put me in his pack on his next hunt with some bino's just for the education
View Quote
That'd be awesome!  I don't think any of us could keep up with him on foot!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#31]
There's no substitute for experience i suppose! maybe i should start by trying to find a local grunt like me who's willing to take me on instead of shooting for the local celebrity right out of the gate? haha
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Check your Private Messages
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#33]
OnX. More land than you could ever hunt.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#34]
That seems to be the consensus.  My problem is the land that is connected to public roads seem to be popular spots for target shooting (as can be expected).  Makes trying to set up a stand for coyotes or deer pretty tough when guns are blasting all the time scaring everything off
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quality bootleather is something you are gonna need. Get a mile off the road and most days you will have it to yourself.

Your waterfowling skills will be useful, but you have a new skill set to work on. Navigation and overland travel are really fun, and really important.

Decent binoculars are critical.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Good Binos are on my list just under a good gps (the cellphone just wont cut it most of the time i've found).  Speaking of getting a mile or more off the road, where do people park for these sort of endeavors? Trail heads and then go off trail?  Most of the public land over here (state and some BLM) is usually in 1/4-3/4 mile square plots.  I think if i want to get that far of the beaten path i'm going to need to get into the national forest land up in the mountains unless i'm missing something (which so far is usually the case) ha
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#37]
What maps are you using? Are you utilizing the state one? BLM? You know there is an OnX app for your phone that is pretty cheap? Download maps at home and then put your phone on Airplane mode in the field.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I generally go off of the Wildlife and Parks website.  They have a map that shows the state, BLM, national forest, wildlife and parks land, and national parks on their "hunt planner"  its a pretty cool interactive map.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Ya, I've looked it over. Doesn't work worth a damn on my phone for some reason.

I don't even hunt Montana. I was just in the same place as you when I started going west, and some very cool people were willing to help me out. Figured I could do the same when the opportunity presents itself.

Small can be good, but big and far from the road is better.

USGS has free maps for download. Not sure it works on a phone.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#40]
its pretty difficult to work on a phone unfortunately.  Any help is appreciated.  Hunting out west is very different than what I'm used to in Kansas.  Once i get a couple good reliable places for coyotes to stay sharp on the long gun i'll feel a lot better.  I imagine ducks will be a blast up here.  The deer and elk are just going to be a learning experience i think.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't hunt in MT but I do pretty close just over the border in Idaho.

Some sites I've found helpful are: gohunt.com, and onxmaps.com. You can get pretty much the same information elsewhere in a bunch of different places on most fish and game websites(or the courthouse), but it's so convenient having all of it consolidated into just two things to look at. Randy Newberg has a treasure trove of information and lots of videos on youtube as well that will help.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Go here and read for a few days or weeks.  Lots of MT hunters in there.  

My screen name is the same over there.  I moved out of state but plan to get back for non-resident some day.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#43]
good tip there.  Been reading a ton so far.  Lots of friendly guys
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm in the Bitterroot. You can find great hunting pretty much everywhere in MT. Where you go depends largely on what you're going to hunt. You can find elk just about everywhere. I'm heading south to the Dillon area tomorrow night for an antelope hunt. If you like to get away from people, get into bow hunting.

As someone else pointed out, get a GPS and a chip showing private property boundaries. You really do need it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Some sites I've found helpful are: gohunt.com, and onxmaps.com. You can get pretty much the same information elsewhere in a bunch of different places on most fish and game websites(or the courthouse), but it's so convenient having all of it consolidated into just two things to look at. Randy Newberg has a treasure trove of information and lots of videos on youtube as well that will help.
View Quote
fun fact: onxmaps is based in Missoula. I was offered a job there a few years back but turned it down.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
fun fact: onxmaps is based in Missoula. I was offered a job there a few years back but turned it down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CEO is a smart dude. I had classes with him at MSU.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top