Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2016 2:30:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:42:38 AM EDT
[#1]
personally , if i was to use nosler, i would go with an accubond or partition. ive never taken game with the ballistic tip, but have heard of the jacket separating at high velocity. deer are much more fragile then elk , but are still taken with moderately small calibers/bullet combos.  

if you are limiting to 100 yards and under, it should perform fine for you though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I would use a heavier constructed bullet; I use 95GR BT's in my 6mm and the boy I take out will be using them in a .243Win next month but I consider them deer only propositions.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a rifle elk hunt coming up soon and wanted to get the hive's opinion on something first.  I use Nosler 165 grain Ballistic Tips for deer hunting and I have found them to be devastating on our little coues deer.  Of course it don't take much for those little suckers but still.

My rifle is a 16" tOBR and I would guesstimate the bullets are leaving the muzzle at around 2500 FPS (no chrony to accurately measure but I think that's close).  

Anyhow, my question is, are the 165 grain Ballistic Tips too lightly constructed for elk at the given muzzle velocity?  Range at impact would probably be less than 100 yards.  

I've been advised to shoot for the shoulder instead of right behind it to try to keep the animal from running off.  Is the Ballistic Tip likely to be tough enough to punch through or is it more likely to come apart?  

Mind you, these are not varmint bullets.  They are made for big game hunting, specifically deer.

I have some 150 grain bonded bullets that I can also use but for educational purposes I'm curious about the opinions and experiences of others regarding using the Ballistic Tip hunting bullets on big game.
View Quote

Your Ideal aiming point will be determined by your bullet choice and cartridge choice.  I am guessing your using a 308, the ballistic tips would work well for double lung shots, at slower speeds they will hold together pretty well, but I wouldn't trust one to break a elk shoulder bone.  If shooting factory look at the hornady superformance with the 150 grain gmx or 150/165 interbond.  The superformance gets good velocity out of shorter barrels.  The solid copper or alloy bullets(gmx,barnes ttsx) will hold together and penetrate but won't open up real wide at the lower velocities of a short barreled 308.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:49:14 AM EDT
[#4]
180 gr nosler partition
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Mason at work shot a nice 6X6 out of the Black Hills two weeks ago. Shot it with a .270 at 375 yards. He practices regularly, and felt the rifle was adequate. He did not count on having to shoot that far half a hour into the season. Told me his load was wrong for it and he would have changed it if he could. Too late when lead starts flying. Shot it six times to stop it. Three of those hit the shoulder and failed to penetrate the bone. Just balled up under the skin.

Point being, take the biggest, toughest, fastest bullet you can find that shoots straight out of your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#6]
the 165 ballistic tip is great for behind the shoulder at those velocities, but I would opt for something more stoutly constructed for a shoulder shot.  A 165 Federal trophy bonded tip, 165/168 Barnes Tipped triple shock, 165 Hornady GMX, Nosler 165gr Accubond--all of them will do what you seek on the shoulder shots.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#7]
There's a lot of good offerings out there, but I like copper.  Take a look at TSX or TTSX stuff.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Accubond or Partition over the BTip. I find the Accuband just as accurate and very effecting on hard hits. My BTip experience on hard hits has not been great.

This year my 300 WSM is loaded with 180 TSX and my backup 25-06 is loaded with 110 Accubonds.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you reloading?
I've found that the Accubond and the Ballistic Tip, in the same weight, shoot almost identically.
The Accubond would be a much better choice for elk even at your lower velocity and self imposed 100 yard limit.

That being said, I use a 300 Win Mag with 180 grain Accubonds for elk, and I'm not going to hope I get 6 shots into it.

It would be hard for me to see that big 6X6 at 300 yards and know I didn't have the reach for it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#10]
200gr Nosler partions for me.  Out of a 300wm.

Knocks down elk good.

Knocks down mule deer too good.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I've used Nosler bullets extensively for over 20 years.  I've learned one really important thing:  IMPACT SPEEDS ARE CRITICAL!!!  That bullet that is totally awesome at 3000 fps will fail at 2300 fps. And vice versa.

The Ballistic Tip is an awesome deer bullet, provided it isn't driven too fast.  At typical 308 speeds it is wonderful.  It will penetrate a few inches, open up rapidly and expansively and destroy a volume of tissue roughly the size of a smallish melon, then taper down to a small exit.  Virtually all that expansion is timed to occur in the center of a broadside deer, roughly between about 4 and 12 inches of penetration.  Unfortunately, that would amount to shallow penetration on something like an elk or moose.  I've tried other bullets for deer but keep coming back to the 165 BT for my Model Seven 308.  I would NEVER use it in a faster rifle like any 300 mag...

I've used the accubond too.  It's definitely harder and deeper penetrating.  In my experience I've used both the 165 BT and the 165 AB in exactly the same load out of the 308 on deer (2620 FPS).  I don't like the AB.  My 308 isn't pushing them fast enough to open them up really well.  As a result, I get longer deeper wounds, but they are narrow wounds.  Most of the 'killing' energy and potential wounding is happening outside the deer, where its wasted.  I suspect that these would be really good at higher speeds out of a 300 mag.

The partitions might be your best choice.  Old school, but they work.  They open harder and faster than the AB.  This is good, since it means your modest 308 speeds will open the front end faster than an AB, meaning larger diameter wound channels.  Yet the rear end will hold together and punch through the far side.  Again, choices might be different in a 300 WSM, but out of anything 308 speeds, I really and honestly believe the partition is your very best choice.  It will open almost as fast as a BT, and punch as deep as the AB. Best of both worlds.  

If it means anything, I've got BT's. AB's and Partitions on hand.  I continue to use the BT in the 165 308 load for deer.   But anything faster or used on bigger game gets the partition.  

The BT is good, but its too lightly constructed to punch deeply.  If you slow it down some, like you are doing with the 2500 fps, its a bit more controlled but now you don't have the speed for as much energy at impact.   Given the scenario you are listing, I'd use the 165 Partition.

Edit:  I would NOT use a TSX or similar in your case.  The Barnes are EXCELLENT bullets, especially in the high speed magnums.  However, they respond best at high speeds, and don't open well at slow speeds.  As a result, they are excellent in 300 mags, but frequently are far from wonderful at the low impact speeds caused by low muzzle velocities and longer range in a 308.  With starting speeds of only 2500, these will open very controlled, punch a very deep but VERY narrow channel and cause relatively little wounding.  Bullet performance at magnum speeds of 3000+ FPS may be great, but effect at slow 308 speeds will suck.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#12]
BT won't be enough to break the shoulder and you'll ruin a lot of meat in that shoulder. And I've seen plenty of elk run on three legs.

No elk will survive a double lung shot. Accubonds or Partitions.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I've never shot an elk but I did recover a 168 TTSX out of an antelope that I shot facing me at 330yds. Bullet looked like a champ and worked better than I wanted it to. Shot a little higher than I wanted and ruined part of the left tenderloin. Crossed the spine/vertebrae into the body cavity ruining one of the inner tenderloins and finally stopped in one of the rear roasts at the leg bone breaking it. Almost a body length of penetration. Not my favorite shot on an animal but one of those split second decisions. Just an FYI since you don't have a chrono I was pushing these bullets at 2520 out of a 20" barrel. 168 AMAX hit 2600 on the dot. Noslers are damn good bullets too and wouldn't be afraid to use them but Barnes have never let me down or anyone that has used my gun.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I've used the 165 ballistic tips on deer for years.  The performance of the BT really depends on impact speed.  I use them out of a 20" 308 at fairly mild velocities (usually mid 2500's)  and at ranges of 50-150 yards they are truly devastating.  they penetrate about 2 inches, begin to really open up, the  liquify a small melon sized volume of tissue before tapering the wound channel back down .  Most of that damage is between 3"and 12".  Exits are always there, but are pin holes.

On a critter the size of an elk this wound channel is too shallow.  I would NOT use the BT on elk at muzzle velocities of 2500 or more.  They simply open too fast.  You want something that opens a bit 'later' and deeper.

My money is on the Nosler Partition.  I tried the accubond, but find that they open and leave a narrow wound.  The partition has a softer front end.  They seem to open a little more violently than the  Accubond and cut a little bigger diameter hole.  The accubond would likely work really well in anything faster, with mussel velocities of 2900 or more.  But 2500 is pretty sedate.  The partition will open to a great extend, and foo more damage than the accubond will.  And with MV of 2500, you really don't need anything bonded.  

I;ve tried all sorts of bullets on deer.  And been able to conduct the post mortem.  The 165 Nolser BT is likely my absolute favorite deer bullet, provided its used at modest speeds (under 2700). I absolutely love them and I get a whole bunch of 'dead-right-there" lighting strike kills.  At modest speeds these are as near a perfect bullet for deer as you can get.  However, I would NEVER use them on anything bigger or at faster speeds.

Seriously, try a partition.  I know its old school, and lacks all the sexy plastic tip and marketing.  However, at modest speeds the partiions open easier and still drive deep.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Have used 165 Accubonds out of a 308 since they came out on Moose, Elk, Black Bear, hogs, and deer. Have performed very well and my rifle loves them. Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your Ideal aiming point will be determined by your bullet choice and cartridge choice.  I am guessing your using a 308, the ballistic tips would work well for double lung shots, at slower speeds they will hold together pretty well, but I wouldn't trust one to break a elk shoulder bone.  If shooting factory look at the hornady superformance with the 150 grain gmx or 150/165 interbond.  The superformance gets good velocity out of shorter barrels.  The solid copper or alloy bullets(gmx,barnes ttsx) will hold together and penetrate but won't open up real wide at the lower velocities of a short barreled 308.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a rifle elk hunt coming up soon and wanted to get the hive's opinion on something first.  I use Nosler 165 grain Ballistic Tips for deer hunting and I have found them to be devastating on our little coues deer.  Of course it don't take much for those little suckers but still.

My rifle is a 16" tOBR and I would guesstimate the bullets are leaving the muzzle at around 2500 FPS (no chrony to accurately measure but I think that's close).  

Anyhow, my question is, are the 165 grain Ballistic Tips too lightly constructed for elk at the given muzzle velocity?  Range at impact would probably be less than 100 yards.  

I've been advised to shoot for the shoulder instead of right behind it to try to keep the animal from running off.  Is the Ballistic Tip likely to be tough enough to punch through or is it more likely to come apart?  

Mind you, these are not varmint bullets.  They are made for big game hunting, specifically deer.

I have some 150 grain bonded bullets that I can also use but for educational purposes I'm curious about the opinions and experiences of others regarding using the Ballistic Tip hunting bullets on big game.

Super Performance is not to be used in gas guns.

The BT could work, but I would use a bonded bullet or TTSX to open up placement options.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I loaded some 150 ttsx's for my co-workers wife/daughters several years back and they have taken two cow's and one bull plus a few deer. the elk were all under 245 yds and the furthest deer was just over 350 if I recall. I don't think the velocity was very high. I just used barne's load data for their accuracy load with H4895. the bull was under 100yds and he said it dropped like it was struck with lightning. broke both shoulders and the shank was found under the hide on the offside.(sheared the petals off) all of the rest were full pass throughs no bullet recovered. if your stuck on noslers I'd run the165 accubond.

I ran PP2000MR in my 16" gas gun and I was getting 3/4 MOA with 168a-max's at 2600ft/sec which was still 1gr below max.

If your up to making an hour drive your welcome to use my chrono (I also have my cousin's lab radar right now)

(I may be in Tucson Saturday but I don't believe you guys have anywhere to shoot out there any more other than way outside town)
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Nosler Partition and done. This truly is the bullet that everything else is compared to for a good reason. It just works.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been loading with the partition for years.  My son-in-law has taken several bulls with a 200 gr partition out of a .300 win mag.

I whacked a cow yesterday with a 150 gr partition out of my .270 winchester.  Double lunged it (close range - maybe 50 yds)  Both lungs were soup. She took about 4 steps and piled up (and slid 100 yds down the darn hill).  Recovered the bullet under the hide on the off side - typical partition, rear half 100% intact, no trace of the front half lead core.  Bullet entered immediately behind the left side scapula, and was recovered just forward of the diaphragm on the right side.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
200gr Nosler partions for me.  Out of a 300wm.

Knocks down elk good.

Knocks down mule deer too good.
View Quote
My brother. 
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:10:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I've had 165 grain ballistic tips from an '06 merely blow up very shallowly on a deer's shoulder without penetrating the bone.  It ran past my nephew and he dropped it with his 6520 shooting power points.  I was really disappointed in the Winchester Ballistic silvertips.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#22]
BT's are hell on Coues deer for sure. I nearly cut a little buck in half with a 1/4 on point of shoulder hit.

For elk I've used-
.270 Win w/ 130gr Trophy Bonded, heart shot DRT
7mm Rem mag w/ 160gr Partition, neck shot DRT
.375 H&H w/ 270gr Partition, shoulders, dbl lung, 2 steps and down

The Partitions shoot the best through two of my rifles.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:42:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd go with an ELD-X bullet.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
personally , if i was to use nosler, i would go with an accubond or partition. ive never taken game with the ballistic tip, but have heard of the jacket separating at high velocity. deer are much more fragile then elk , but are still taken with moderately small calibers/bullet combos.  

if you are limiting to 100 yards and under, it should perform fine for you though.
View Quote
Personally the BT is too lightly constructed for my taste when used on edible game.  It's a great paper puncher or varmint bullet.

I have no personal experience (yet) with the AB, but I'll be trying it this year for the very slight ballistic coefficient advantage over the partition.  

Hard to go wrong with the tried and true partition.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone tried the Hornady GMX bullet? I'll be going on my first Elk hunt this year and using a 30-o6, I was thinking about using the 165gr.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll be trying out the barnes TTSX 190gr this year.  300 win mag
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'll be trying out the barnes TTSX 190gr this year.  300 win mag
View Quote
I am using the 180 TSX in my 300WSM. It is very accurate and very effective. The 190 TTSX should rock in the wm.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:50:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I always aim for opposite shoulder, Behind closer one. Provides a clean heart/ lung shot and hopefully an interior shoulder hit (broken 1, did serious damage to 2nd) elk are TOUGH, be ready for a second or 3rd shot.

An accubond or partition bullet over 160 is going to be better.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Super Performance is not to be used in gas guns.

The BT could work, but I would use a bonded bullet or TTSX to open up placement options.
View Quote
The SP work fine in DI guns but are really hard on M1 type designs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Good thread so far! I am also getting ready for an elk hunt and I am gonna try the178gr eldx in my -06 and was thinking of using some old 150gr partitions for my daughters ar308. Maybe I will reconsider the 150's.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I always aim for opposite shoulder, Behind closer one. Provides a clean heart/ lung shot and hopefully an interior shoulder hit (broken 1, did serious damage to 2nd) elk are TOUGH, be ready for a second or 3rd shot.

An accubond or partition bullet over 160 is going to be better.
View Quote
Yes elk are almost bullet proof. Luckily the one I shot last year with a 123 grain sst took 3 steps and was dead after one shot. Elk die just as fast as a antelope if you put the bullet in the right spot. Think this year I'll go to one of my bigger elk guns and use a 7mm-08. Go bonded and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:14:33 AM EDT
[#32]
150g TTSX out of a 20" 308 worked great on good sized mature cow at about 360 yards.  Complete passthrough, didn't recover the bullet.  Double lung and they die.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#33]
For factory ammo you will mostly see the partition or accubond recommended from Nosler. You might also look into the A frames by Remington or swift.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#34]
That's a lot of animal for that round...and frankly...I don't think a TOBR is the best way to get it there...but YMMV.

If you are going to carry a 308, your issue is going to be range/velocity.  Yes, I know snipers use it and can ding steel at crazy distances...with calculators and laser range finders.

If you are going to run that rifle for that application...Barnes TSX bullets, likely in the 165gr range...  Aim for the lungs as you have the largest target and you are likely to get some deviation from your POA at distance with a 308.  

For a hunting bullet, the TSX is spectacular.  I used them quite a bit in the Yukon and they flat out work.  Expand, retain near 100% of their weight, and are accurate.  

Good luck and have a great hunt.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I know lots and lots of game has been taken over a lot of years with shoulder shots but I've never liked that method, personally.  I've used my .270 on numerous mule deer and elk for close to 40 years.  Nosler partitions always do the job, preferably 150 grain but I have used 130 grain in a pinch.

This year, I'll be using a recently acquired Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor for my deer hunt and, the plan is, to also use it for my late season, private land elk harvest.  Don't anticipate ranges much over 250 yards in the hay meadows to fill that tag.  Bullet selection for both will be the 143 grain, Hornady ELD-X.  

As with any live target...shot placement is STILL the key.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top