Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2016 1:02:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Guy at work did it last year. Pretty amazing journey. There are some real secluded areas to hunt if you can travel. He hiked in with his buddy and the took a route over a mountain so they rented llamas...yes llamas... You are also allowed to use atv's to move equipment to and from your camp. I'm not sure where he hunted but like I said there are huge areas to hunt. Out of state licence and tag was over $500 together. If it is like Wyoming there will be areas where you need a guide if your not a resident. Figure out the area you like and get a blm map, will show you the public and private lands.

I took my hunter safety course online for free. Check your fish and game commission for that you will probably need the card to hunt anywhere out west. Hunting license and elk tag is probably all you need. I'd wear orange even if not required, you get lost out there and it will help people find  you. Enjoy, I'm looking forward to a trip out there one day.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have friends that grew up in N.Idaho that always hunted St.Regis area, MT Idaho border.

When they moved to Mt to work they went to the same area on the Mt side.

Forest service public land and A lot of country. Seen many elk they have brought home and some book makers.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm contemplating an archery and/or rifle elk and mule deer hunt in Idaho this year and would like some help from folks in the know.  I am also considering Colorado, but I will start another thread for that.

I know it is getting close to opening for archery season and I've missed the window to draw a tag so I am looking at hunts where I can purchase the tags over the counter.

I likely won't be able to scout before the hunt(s) start but should have the time available to hunt the duration of the season and possibly even be able to arrive a few days before the hunt begins to learn the lay of the land.

Also, I don't mind hiking in several miles to secluded spots and actually prefer hunting further from the easy access areas but I also want to be somewhere that I can drive in to set up a base camp.

I'm an experienced hunter although this year will be my first time hunting elk.  Having said that, I have some experience with elk and their behavior.  I am also experienced with the outdoors so hunting alone in rugged areas with no one around and no cell phone coverage isn't a problem for me.

Here are some questions I have:

What are some good areas to hunt where I will a) have public access and b) will be able to find at least decent populations of both elk and mule deer?  In AZ, the Game and Fish sells elk tags for units that basically don't have any elk.  I would like to avoid that situation with an expensive out of state hunt.

What are the weather conditions like in the areas suggested?  I will need to know what to expect for September, October, and November.  

Also, if you recommend an area to hunt, what kind of terrain should I expect to encounter there?  If it is forest, how thick is it?  If mountainous, what kind of elevations will I be dealing with?

Are the elk and deer still in velvet in September?  Will the elk be in the rut then?

What are Idaho's pre-requisites for hunting big game?  From what I have gathered so far, I will need to buy a hunting license, a tag for the animals I want to hunt, and take a hunter education course.  

Can I take the hunter ed course online?  Are there any other requirements, such as something like a conservation stamp?  What about hunt reporting requirements?  Do I need to wear any blaze orange clothing while hunting?

For the general deer tags, they are good for either mule deer or whitetail, correct?  I would prefer to hunt mule deer but if a nice whitetail were to walk by and it was legal, I'm not one to pass up a golden opportunity.

It looks like the Lolo, Elk City, and Dworshak Zones still have archery elk tags available.  Can someone explain to me how to find out if there are corresponding archery mule deer tags currently available in these areas for the Aug. 30-Sep. 30 hunts?  The Idaho F&G list deer tags as being available but as far as I can tell doesn't include any information about dates or areas for the tags.

If a unit is listed in the zone, I'm guessing that means the tag is only good for that unit, correct?  If no unit is given and only the zone is listed, does that mean the tag is good for the entire zone?

What is the difference between an A and a B tag?

Of what is currently available, are there any particular hunts that you would recommend for a non-resident's first time hunting in Idaho?  If so, why?  Ideally I would like to hunt both elk and mule deer, but I am also open to just elk if a corresponding mule deer tag isn't available for a recommended hunt.

I'm sure I will have more questions to ask later but that is all I can think of at the moment.  I appreciate any and all help that is offered.  Muddling one's way through another state's hunting regulations can be pretty confusing for those not familiar with the process.

View Quote
An A tag would be Antlered deer , B tag would be a doe. Some tags will be specific to which one.

Some tags may say either sex, either specie, mule deer or white tail.

You may be able to buy a tag for each as well. In whatever combination that fish and game puts out for the year.

An out of state combo license may include black bear as well.  

An online application will show what's available for each area after clicking that area.  You might be running short of time for some areas to get a tag,
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An A tag would be Antlered deer , B tag would be a doe. Some tags will be specific to which one.

You may be able to buy a tag for each as well. In whatever combination that fish and game puts out for the year.

An online application will show what's available for each area after clicking that area.  You might be running short of time for some areas to get a tag,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm contemplating an archery and/or rifle elk and mule deer hunt in Idaho this year and would like some help from folks in the know.  I am also considering Colorado, but I will start another thread for that.

I know it is getting close to opening for archery season and I've missed the window to draw a tag so I am looking at hunts where I can purchase the tags over the counter.

I likely won't be able to scout before the hunt(s) start but should have the time available to hunt the duration of the season and possibly even be able to arrive a few days before the hunt begins to learn the lay of the land.

Also, I don't mind hiking in several miles to secluded spots and actually prefer hunting further from the easy access areas but I also want to be somewhere that I can drive in to set up a base camp.

I'm an experienced hunter although this year will be my first time hunting elk.  Having said that, I have some experience with elk and their behavior.  I am also experienced with the outdoors so hunting alone in rugged areas with no one around and no cell phone coverage isn't a problem for me.

Here are some questions I have:

What are some good areas to hunt where I will a) have public access and b) will be able to find at least decent populations of both elk and mule deer?  In AZ, the Game and Fish sells elk tags for units that basically don't have any elk.  I would like to avoid that situation with an expensive out of state hunt.

What are the weather conditions like in the areas suggested?  I will need to know what to expect for September, October, and November.  

Also, if you recommend an area to hunt, what kind of terrain should I expect to encounter there?  If it is forest, how thick is it?  If mountainous, what kind of elevations will I be dealing with?

Are the elk and deer still in velvet in September?  Will the elk be in the rut then?

What are Idaho's pre-requisites for hunting big game?  From what I have gathered so far, I will need to buy a hunting license, a tag for the animals I want to hunt, and take a hunter education course.  

Can I take the hunter ed course online?  Are there any other requirements, such as something like a conservation stamp?  What about hunt reporting requirements?  Do I need to wear any blaze orange clothing while hunting?

For the general deer tags, they are good for either mule deer or whitetail, correct?  I would prefer to hunt mule deer but if a nice whitetail were to walk by and it was legal, I'm not one to pass up a golden opportunity.

It looks like the Lolo, Elk City, and Dworshak Zones still have archery elk tags available.  Can someone explain to me how to find out if there are corresponding archery mule deer tags currently available in these areas for the Aug. 30-Sep. 30 hunts?  The Idaho F&G list deer tags as being available but as far as I can tell doesn't include any information about dates or areas for the tags.

If a unit is listed in the zone, I'm guessing that means the tag is only good for that unit, correct?  If no unit is given and only the zone is listed, does that mean the tag is good for the entire zone?

What is the difference between an A and a B tag?

Of what is currently available, are there any particular hunts that you would recommend for a non-resident's first time hunting in Idaho?  If so, why?  Ideally I would like to hunt both elk and mule deer, but I am also open to just elk if a corresponding mule deer tag isn't available for a recommended hunt.

I'm sure I will have more questions to ask later but that is all I can think of at the moment.  I appreciate any and all help that is offered.  Muddling one's way through another state's hunting regulations can be pretty confusing for those not familiar with the process.

Portion highlighted in Red is incorrect.  It is unit dependent but as a general rule of thumb an A tag is an archery and muzzleloader tag.  A B tag is basically a rifle tag.  Now each unit has different rules for each type of tag.  You can go to the Idaho Fish and Game website and look at a copy of the current regulations.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:29:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I kind of got the jist of the A tag and B tag system.

I think I know the answer to this next question, but just in case, I'll ask it anyway.  If I buy an A tag and there are multiple hunts listed for it ( for example, Sep. archery, Nov. muzzle loader, Dec. archery) that tag remains good for all those hunts, provided it hasn't been filled on an earlier hunt, correct?
View Quote

Correct.  For example, let's say you have an A tag for a unit that lets you harvest a bull elk archery hunting.  Season is something like September 1st through the 30th.  If you don't fill your tag archery hunting, but the unit A tag has a cow/spike muzzle loader season in November you can use that tag to try and harvest that way.

Just can't buy multiple tags really.  I mean you can if your a resident who also buys an extra out of state tag.  But for someone like yourself you will need to pick just 1 tag A or B for a unit.  Just FYI some over the counter units are already sold out.  

For deer tags in Idaho (non draw) you buy either a regular deer tag or a whitetail only tag.  Regular deer lets you hunt mule deer and white tail, but the whitetail season on that tag sucks.  Whitetail only means just that, no shooting a mule deer.  Which tag you get really depends on the unit and deer population.  In general for over the counter tags whitetail only is a better tag for anything north of Cascade/McCall(there are a few exceptions to the east).  South of that and east of that the regular deer tag is what you want if your gonna chase mule deer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 1:12:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 1:34:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

One thing I haven't been able to establish yet is if I need to be wearing any blaze orange.  I think I saw it suggested somewhere on the Fish and Game website, but I haven't seen anything stating it was a requirement.

Another thing I would like to find out but forgot to ask the Fish and Game, is it legal for me to carry a pistol for protection while participating in an Archery only hunt?  I know some states don't allow it, some states only allow guides to, and some states allow the carrying of "short barreled" pistols only.
View Quote

Idaho prides itself in being a free state.
As such they don't tell you what clothes to wear.
And yes, you can carry a defensive side-arm.
Good hunting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Non-residents are allowed to buy an unsold non-resident elk or deer tag, to use as a second tag, starting August 1.  That's from the book and was confirmed by the Idaho Fish and Game lady I spoke with before mailing off my application.  There's no where on the application to put in for the second tag but she told me to just write the details in the margin and tack another $300.75 onto my check.

I put in for an Elk City A tag and a Selway A tag.  I also picked up a regular deer tag.  My intention is to camp on National Forest land and hike in to hunt the wilderness areas.  Judging from Google Earth, I should be able to drive reasonably close to the Gospel Hump and Selway Bitterroot Wildernesses.

It looks like I will be a little far North for mule deer but that's okay.  I'll still take a whitetail if the opportunity presents itself and if I tag out early on elk I can always move camp further South to hunt mulies.

Why do you say the seasons suck for whitetail on the regular tag?  Is it just because they aren't rutting?  Rut rifle tags in AZ are so hard to get that the only time I get to hunt deer in the rut down here is with our OTC archery tags.

One thing I haven't been able to establish yet is if I need to be wearing any blaze orange.  I think I saw it suggested somewhere on the Fish and Game website, but I haven't seen anything stating it was a requirement.

Another thing I would like to find out but forgot to ask the Fish and Game, is it legal for me to carry a pistol for protection while participating in an Archery only hunt?  I know some states don't allow it, some states only allow guides to, and some states allow the carrying of "short barreled" pistols only.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I kind of got the jist of the A tag and B tag system.

I think I know the answer to this next question, but just in case, I'll ask it anyway.  If I buy an A tag and there are multiple hunts listed for it ( for example, Sep. archery, Nov. muzzle loader, Dec. archery) that tag remains good for all those hunts, provided it hasn't been filled on an earlier hunt, correct?

Correct.  For example, let's say you have an A tag for a unit that lets you harvest a bull elk archery hunting.  Season is something like September 1st through the 30th.  If you don't fill your tag archery hunting, but the unit A tag has a cow/spike muzzle loader season in November you can use that tag to try and harvest that way.

Just can't buy multiple tags really.  I mean you can if your a resident who also buys an extra out of state tag.  But for someone like yourself you will need to pick just 1 tag A or B for a unit.  Just FYI some over the counter units are already sold out.  

For deer tags in Idaho (non draw) you buy either a regular deer tag or a whitetail only tag.  Regular deer lets you hunt mule deer and white tail, but the whitetail season on that tag sucks.  Whitetail only means just that, no shooting a mule deer.  Which tag you get really depends on the unit and deer population.  In general for over the counter tags whitetail only is a better tag for anything north of Cascade/McCall(there are a few exceptions to the east).  South of that and east of that the regular deer tag is what you want if your gonna chase mule deer.

Non-residents are allowed to buy an unsold non-resident elk or deer tag, to use as a second tag, starting August 1.  That's from the book and was confirmed by the Idaho Fish and Game lady I spoke with before mailing off my application.  There's no where on the application to put in for the second tag but she told me to just write the details in the margin and tack another $300.75 onto my check.

I put in for an Elk City A tag and a Selway A tag.  I also picked up a regular deer tag.  My intention is to camp on National Forest land and hike in to hunt the wilderness areas.  Judging from Google Earth, I should be able to drive reasonably close to the Gospel Hump and Selway Bitterroot Wildernesses.

It looks like I will be a little far North for mule deer but that's okay.  I'll still take a whitetail if the opportunity presents itself and if I tag out early on elk I can always move camp further South to hunt mulies.

Why do you say the seasons suck for whitetail on the regular tag?  Is it just because they aren't rutting?  Rut rifle tags in AZ are so hard to get that the only time I get to hunt deer in the rut down here is with our OTC archery tags.

Elk City and Selway both have mulies. I saw many of them a few years back when I was there. Just none I wanted to shoot. That is some steep and rough area. So be prepared and in shape. Better have good boots. Also be sure you do carry a pistol big enough for bears (grizzly) they are present. Wolves are also abundant in that area. Orange is not required. I spent 8 days in Selway and never saw another hunter.

I will be out there in October with a B tag for elk. May also get a wolf tag since I saw some last time and did not have a tag. Will get a bear tag as well so if I do shoot a elk then I can sit on the gut pile a couple days for bear or wolf
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#12]
.223 is legal for both wolf and lion.  Wouldn't recommend it for wolf as they are bigger and tougher than you would think.  And typically if your going to get a shot at one its gonna be out a ways.  Not saying it wouldn't work, but something with a bit heavier bullet and a little more oomph would be better.  .243 Winchester would be a good starting point.  Lions are tough to hunt without dogs, but if you do see one at a reasonable distance I dont see why .223 wouldn't work.  No mag capacity restrictions, just overall weight of the gun restrictions (keeps people from hunting with .50cal barretts is my guess).  

If I was gonna be hunting wolves/lion/bear I would carry my .270 or .243, but thats just me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'll be taking an AR and a 30-06 just in case.  I'm not really planning on doing any hunting with them unless I fill my archery elk tag early but better to bring them along than get up there and wish I had brought them.

I'm getting excited; it's almost time to head North!

I asked in the IDHTF but figure it can't hurt to ask here too.  Can anyone suggest the best place to pick up some topo maps?  Right now I'm hoping I will be able to find some at the Cabela's in Boise.

It looks like I will be passing through Twin Falls, Boise, and Grangeville.  Elk City will be close enough that I could stop in there too.
View Quote

You can buy some good maps from the forest service station in Grangeville.  Not full on topo maps but they do have some elevation marks.  Just ask to buy a forest map for the nez perce and Clearwater forests.  Any ranger station should have them in the area, but Grangeville is the largest and best bet.  Just an FYI in case you didn't know, elk city is about 1.5 hours from grangeville(driving).  It's a very small town with not much more than a store/bars/gas station.  

Can't help ya with a game processor, always did my own.  There are several around that area though, just ask around a bit and someone can point ya in the right direction.  Good place to ask would be Rae Bros sporting goods store in Grangeville.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#17]
You still in ID OP?

From your options in the OP, I recommend the palisades zones. 64-67 if I remember right. For rifle, grab a B tag for elk, and a general deer tag. The seasons overlap.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:11:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Intrested to hear your report.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Taggage

Went fly fishing in the Bighorn Crags last year and it was awesome. Some hellacious hiking going from sea level to 9K feet but I loved ID!
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Good wrap-up OP. Sounds like typical elk hunting to me, good times, even when we don't pack meat home.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:16:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm going to be heading back for my rifle hunt soon.  It runs until the end of the month.  Can anyone advise whether I will likely need tire chains or not?  I will be in the Grangeville/Elk City area again at about 7500 feet.
View Quote

There is a good chance you will have snow in the high country.  Better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#25]
For no more than they cost it is a wise investment.

Tire chains.com is where I got mine.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Just one simple question OP.   What backpack did you use on your trip?

Also, thank you for the great post trip write-up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#28]
awesome.  thx for the backpack info.

Im in the market for a new pack.  Im looking at the Mystery mtn stuff but it is very spendy.

I need something for long trips that will haul all my camping equipment but also double as a meat hauler on the way out.  I wont sabotage your thread anymore though
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Awesome thread OP. Good on you for challenging yourself. We did our first Wyoming deer hunt(actually any deer hunt)this year. Nine days off the grid. I'd go again right now. We learned so much. SD tags to hunt in a couple weeks.

I used a Cabela's Alaskan frame with a Camelback day pack strapped to it with a Kifaru Gunbearer. Works really well to carry all that's needed while keeping the hands free to glass. I can post a picture if you'd like to see it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Photobucket is beyond stupid. So full of click bait and virus I can't get it to do anything productive.

There are some amazing packs out there for hunting if a guy drops the cash, but using a solid external frame and some sort of bag is a viable option. I stole the idea, but it is a good one. At the beginning of our trip I had the full pack on my frame but came to realize it was far to bulky and noisy to work for spot and stalk. I have had the small Camelback I put on it for years. Tough enough and set up with a bladder. I have a small Old Navy pack that I will try in November. It will be too cold to use or need a bladder then.

The big thing to me is the Kifaru Gunbearer. Honestly. This thing is awesome. It does takes a minute to get used to but I won't go afield without it. At leat as far as spot and stalk type hunting is concerned. It holds my rifle in a secure location that is fast to access, allows my hands to stay free, and adds nothing in weight. Look into it. Best $35 I spent on this trip. After nine days with that thing I highly recommend it.

I need to find another image hosting site. When I do I will throw some pics up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Sorry if I missed it, what altitudes were you hunting in? We are headed into the Frank Church wilderness on the 8th. I hope the snow has hit the high country in there...
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks! You were much higher than we will be. Our base camp will be at 4,400 and the peaks we will hunt @ 8,000'. The snow will be welcomed as far as I am concerned.

I am glad you had a good time and tested the limits of your legs. I have a feeling I will be doing the same in two weeks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#38]
We are flying in to Cabin Creek and hunting out of there. I will try to remember to take pictures and to give an aar.

I am working nonstop until we leave. I will be glad to get out of dodge!
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Took awhile but here is a picture of my pack loaded.

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Appreciate everyone sharing info.
Have done DIY moose, gator, antelope, etc, but planning on elk soon. Have about 18 CO pref pts, just wish my legs and back were 18 years younger!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top