Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheStig:

Sounds like maybe ya waited a little too long in between mows. I maintain my backyard (common Bermuda mixed with some St Augustine - which has started mixing together in what I now refer to as St Bermudastine) at 2" and mow every 3-4ish days and never have an issue with the mower bogging down and it is pretty thick. I was keeping it at 1 1/4" but didn't want to have to mow just the bermuda sections then stop and raise the cutting height to then mow over the StA (which really likes mowing heights of 3" or more).

One thing that I like with bermuda is if you let it grow too high, you can always reset the HoC (Height of Cut) at any point during the growing season. Just scalp it on one setting lower than where you want to maintain it (would suggest bagging clippings for this to reduce excess thatch buildup); EG if you want to maintain at 1.5", scalp at 1.25". Hit it with some nitrogen and water it in, and it'll be green again within a week. Then just keep it at 1.5" and you're good to go.

Thick growth means healthy turf and no weed pressure. Healthy turf and no weed pressure means less chems you need to apply (herbicides/fungicides). At that point it is super easy to maintain. Just mow, feed, water, and apply pre-emergents when needed (twice yearly).

Then if you want once it's good and thick and healthy, you can always apply a PGR (Plant Growth Regulator) which will allow you to go longer without mowing as it stifles growth. Though you definitely don't want to apply if you're fighting disease/pests or trying to get it to fill in more or if it isn't fully established grass.
View Quote
It had been about 3 weeks since mowed and the gardener before was mowing it too tall anyways. So I scalped it back to 2", may go down to 1.5" next week at next mow. Going to see how it recovers first. It really needs some nitrogen and a bunch more water. He had severely cut back on the water to about 1" every 2 weeks. Its going to be a real challenge out here to keep his lawn green with the new water restrictions in place out here.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By savage1971:
It had been about 3 weeks since mowed and the gardener before was mowing it too tall anyways. So I scalped it back to 2", may go down to 1.5" next week at next mow. Going to see how it recovers first. It really needs some nitrogen and a bunch more water. He had severely cut back on the water to about 1" every 2 weeks. Its going to be a real challenge out here to keep his lawn green with the new water restrictions in place out here.
View Quote

Ah yeah that'll do it. You may want to look into Hydretain. I've never used it but I have heard it works exceptionally well in cases where lack of watering can occur. What are the restrictions? Can you only water once every two weeks?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009KS5ZF8?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Ah yeah that'll do it. You may want to look into Hydretain. I've never used it but I have heard it works exceptionally well in cases where lack of watering can occur. What are the restrictions? Can you only water once every two weeks?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009KS5ZF8?tag=arfcom00-20
View Quote
The restriction by the city is 1 time weekly, either sat or sunday depending on if you are odd or even. Although we are not on city water on our end and on Golden State, their restrictions are 3 times a week, but all the Karen's in town are running around reporting you to the city, even though the city has no power over Golden state water
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#4]
The restriction by the city is 1 time weekly, either sat or sunday depending on if you are odd or even. Although we are not on city water on our end and on Golden State, their restrictions are 3 times a week, but all the Karen's in town are running around reporting you to the city, even though the city has no power over Golden state water
View Quote

Gotchya. If once weekly is the limit he should be fine and actually if you only water once per week and can get down the right amount that will promote strong and deep root growth. Just need to make sure he's getting about 1"-1.5" of water down in that one watering per week (including rainfall) and he should be fine. To avoid run-off or wasting water I'd set it up to water a zone for as long as you can before you get any pooling or run off then switch to another zone and let it soak for 10-15 minutes before watering that zone again (just swagging it but it could take longer or less time depending on how hydrophobic the soil is). If not done already, will need to calculate how long it takes though to get down that much water (via tuna can method or similar).

But you can definitely get the grass trained to survive and flourish just fine with once per week watering.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:37:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Three weeks is WAY too freaking long to wait to mow.

You MUST mow at least once a week, especially in spring, and that is with ANY grass.

The shorter you mow it, the faster it grows.  So if you cut it to 1" you have to mow it more often to keep it that way.

A 2" cut is a decent cut, but in springtime everything is growing like crazy, so you may need to cut more often.

1" every two weeks is really dry.  What does the restriction say?  How much can he water?

View Quote
If you go by the guidance the city put out, it is max of 1 day a week for 8 min a zone. It is crazy. It has already been so bad with water pricing for a while that probably 60% of the local houses have just let it go to weed, a bunch now have weed filled desert landscape because they didnt realize getting all those weeds out of those pretty rocks is a pain, and a few have artificial.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#8]
If you go by the guidance the city put out, it is max of 1 day a week for 8 min a zone. It is crazy. It has already been so bad with water pricing for a while that probably 60% of the local houses have just let it go to weed, a bunch now have weed filled desert landscape because they didnt realize getting all those weeds out of those pretty rocks is a pain, and a few have artificial.
View Quote

Wow, they actually restrict individual zone times? That's a special kind of dumb considering you could have one sprinkler that puts out .25gpm and another that puts out 6gpm, guess which will put down more water after 8 minutes lol.

Is it 8 min total per zone at a single watering or can you do say 5 minutes on zone A, soak for 10 minutes then another 5 min on zone A - therefore never hitting the maximum for a single zone? That would actually be beneficial to prevent runoff or wasting water.

Also, any restrictions on hand watering? Sometimes watering restrictions exclude that so maybe an option? Hopefully you get some fast release nitrogen from the sky (rain) soon to reduce those restrictions. I'd be gutted watching my hard work turn to dirt and weeds from harsh watering restrictions but when it comes down to it, having drinkable water is more important than a pretty landscape.

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Wow, they actually restrict individual zone times? That's a special kind of dumb considering you could have one sprinkler that puts out .25gpm and another that puts out 6gpm, guess which will put down more water after 8 minutes lol.

Is it 8 min total per zone at a single watering or can you do say 5 minutes on zone A, soak for 10 minutes then another 5 min on zone A - therefore never hitting the maximum for a single zone? That would actually be beneficial to prevent runoff or wasting water.

Also, any restrictions on hand watering? Sometimes watering restrictions exclude that so maybe an option? Hopefully you get some fast release nitrogen from the sky (rain) soon to reduce those restrictions. I'd be gutted watching my hard work turn to dirt and weeds from harsh watering restrictions but when it comes down to it, having drinkable water is more important than a pretty landscape.

View Quote
I havent checked on the hand watering guidelines. It's all nonsense regardless. I cant wait until they complain about my property across the street. My property is zoned farmland/agriculture and the house is registered as a farm because I have 2 or more of the same type of fruit trees, that and I have a grandfathered well on my property that I use for all my irrigation.
As to rain? I doubt it, we are past our rain season and probably wont see any measurable amount until sept or so.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 2:35:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheStig] [#10]
Minor update on the bermudagrass mites - I think I have them under control at this point. I put down Bifen XTS a few weeks ago in the front then the following week put down DeltaGard G, and finally have switched to weekly Abamectin applications and will continue to do so for the remainder of the growing season.

In addition to chemical warfare I also scalped the front and have been bagging clippings every mow. Have noticed a gradual decrease in the "witches broom" damage on the spots that were hit the hardest. Grass in those areas is still pretty thin from loss but I'm sure it'll fill in quickly since my PGR should be wearing off and will avoid applying again for now. I will miss having to mow only once every 3-4 days but don't mind doing every other day (ask me again in a month when we are hitting triple digits every day).

Pic taken today after a fresh cut and one day post-foliar iron app. Had put down 12-12-12 last weekend as well and plan to go back to Ammonium Sulfate 21-0-0 for my next fert app. Cheers!

Link Posted: 6/3/2022 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 12:03:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#12]
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are a conservative voter, Tennessee and Kentucky are beautiful, with people friendlier than you likely have ever met before, and kindness at hand.

You would be welcome in our neighborhood.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
If you are a conservative voter, Tennessee and Kentucky are beautiful, with people friendlier than you likely have ever met before, and kindness at hand.

Hey, Texas needs more conservative expatriates as well and my home will be on the market around December, just sayin'. I'll even throw in a pmag!

Gorgeous yard.  Those stripes are STUNNING!!!!

Try doing those diagonals on the curb strip.   Dooooooo Ittttttt!    

ETA:  Just mow straight across the sidewalk and continue the diagonal.

(Not sure how you will get over the curb, but I bet you can figure that part out.)

Thank you, sir!

I'll give it a shot. The mower weighs about 150lbs so turning at the edge of the curb might be a bit of a challenge. If I don't post again in the next couple days, send help - the mower has fallen on me and the wife will be looking to collect life insurance.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#14]

I am so very sorry that you live in a country with a different reality.

And yes, I know you live in California, which is technically part of the US.

But it has left us in all thought and action.

1 day per week at 8 minutes per zone means you probably cannot keep anything alive, unless you get rain.  And I understand it "never rains in..Southern California"..you may not be in that part. I think Northern California is different.

You can manage a desert landscape easily if you have chemical controls, but I think they are all now illegal where you are.  

View Quote
Trust me, if my wife and I didnt have kids from previous marriages and the other parents are here locally, we would be gone. We could sell our acre here in the middle of town and we could easily retire. Granted then would bulldoze my house and shop and put in 60 townhomes, but it wouldnt be my worry then. My oldest daughter left Ca already for Texas and loves it. I have always been a fan of norther Arkansas, but there are countless places in this country I could call home.

As to rain here, ya, we are not getting any, anytime soon anyways. We average about 18" or so a year, although the last storm we had about 2 months ago dumped about 4-5"

As to the desert landscape, not my thing. I will have grass at my home regardless of what some dictator says. It is funny, all the rich areas in neighboring area, Malibu, Beverly hills, etc, they dont have water restrictions, but we do. It is a 25 min drive for me to Malibu. Makes no sense unless you realize it is not about water, It is about control.  It is funny, we are in a "drought" but yet my static well water height is 10 ft higher this year compared to years in the past.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 4:19:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#15]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 3:28:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheStig] [#16]

I never even thought of that.   Running the stripes across the curb strip is easy on my ZTR.  I've never actually run a reel mower.
View Quote

Operation continual stripes was successful, though did not yield anticipated results. Stripes weren't really visible and as expected was a pain to turn at the curb.

So on the plus side, I didn't die though managed to give myself a scare when I stupidly thought "meh, I'll just edge quickly without putting on safety squints" and a sliver of concrete flew back at my cheek. I promptly put down the edger and went to get eye pro. I know better, you know better, we all know better... friendly reminder to folks to not get complacent and always wear eye pro when shooting/mowing/edging/weed eating/etc!
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Take pictures.  If you don't want to spray any herbicides, I will tell you that you have some work cut out for you, but take pictures and let us see this devil weed.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By abnk:
Thank you for this thread.  I've not been able to focus much on my lawn during the past couple of years and it shows.  I'm probably too late to make a significant difference for this year, but I'll be paying attention to this thread and will try to turn things around.  I've got some devil weed that's spread pretty bad on about 1/3 of the lawn, but I don't want to spray herbicides.  Perhaps an irrigation system by August would be a good investment to start turning things around.

Take pictures.  If you don't want to spray any herbicides, I will tell you that you have some work cut out for you, but take pictures and let us see this devil weed.

I have spent hours pulling it, but I guess not enough to make it not come back.  Those yellow flowers turn into small green berries, which turn black later.  I'm sure it's the seeds that make it come back.  I think I tried ORTHO weed killer a couple of years ago, but I don't remember it doing anything to this weed.  The root is like a mouse tail, but it broke off when I pulled this one.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Kittie, @ didnt work as for kind of grass

Wife wants concrete and wood decks.....#$&$_÷/ grass in backyard.

Yet landscape guy is doing almost 300 juniper bushes? To cover banks etc.

I will post pics in a separate thread....after 23 ...years. it hopefully won't be one of the curses

She is doing shit.....Noone in our county has done before.....stay tuned....
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:46:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:57:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#22]

So help me understand.

You used Ortho a couple of years ago.

But you won't use herbicides now?

Cuz...to get that, you're going to either have to dig it out, tap root and all (you can't just pull it) or you're going to have to spray it.

I'm okay either way, but I have to understand your philosophy to know how to help.

View All Quotes

I have spent hours pulling it, but I guess not enough to make it not come back.  Those yellow flowers turn into small green berries, which turn black later.  I'm sure it's the seeds that make it come back.  I think I tried ORTHO weed killer a couple of years ago, but I don't remember it doing anything to this weed.  The root is like a mouse tail, but it broke off when I pulled this one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59617/EDDD8A77-2F52-4E8A-AF92-9B1EE167B758_jpe-2410777.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59617/0C887A73-0CE4-4723-A243-E3F428BB2CA8_jpe-2410779.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59617/BD78040A-B4CA-4108-9D9C-47A076A9362B_jpe-2410780.JPG

So help me understand.

You used Ortho a couple of years ago.

But you won't use herbicides now?

Cuz...to get that, you're going to either have to dig it out, tap root and all (you can't just pull it) or you're going to have to spray it.

I'm okay either way, but I have to understand your philosophy to know how to help.

Are you saying I lack the capacity to change?

Correct, I have not used herbicides in a couple of years and do not wish to use them again.  When I said pull, I did mean including the root.  I try to pick a day after a good rain when the ground is soft and it's usually not too hard to eradicate them individually.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:55:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheStig] [#23]

Correct, I have not used herbicides in a couple of years and do not wish to use them again.  When I said pull, I did mean including the root.  I try to pick a day after a good rain when the ground is soft and it's usually not too hard to eradicate them individually.
View Quote

Would you be open to putting down a pre-emergent or are you wanting to avoid chemicals period? A pre-emergent would at least prevent seeds from germinating. Typically you'd want to apply once in the fall and once again in spring but any time is better than not at all if that's an option for you.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:13:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: abnk] [#24]

Would you be open to putting down a pre-emergent or are you wanting to avoid chemicals period? A pre-emergent would at least prevent seeds from germinating. Typically you'd want to apply once in the fall and once again in spring but any time is better than not at all if that's an option for you.
View All Quotes

I have used pre-emergents before, would like to avoid them altogether.  Thank you for the suggestion though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:57:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheStig] [#25]
Small update on my yard -
Triple digit temps in my neck of the woods for the next 2 weeks at least here and the grass is growing like crazy. I started spoon feeding Ammonium Sulfate at a rate of .25 lbs of N per 1k sqft every week (Lesco N-Rich 21-0-0). Have yet to put down a second app of PGR to let it fill in a few thin spots but having to mow every day is killer. Trying to hold out till the end of the month but we shall see.

Most of the mite damage is gone but continuing my weekly Abamectin dosage and collecting all my clippings. Also started running the sprinklers for a few minutes during the hottest part of the day to evaporatively cool the grass a little. Seems to be working so far - had one spot that was checking out due to heat stress and an hour after hitting it with water it woke right back up; was pretty cool to observe.

Noted a few spots that are struggling to fill in still which seem to be hydrophobic so going to continue with spot treating with a wetting agent (Soil Loosener) as a stop gap in between soil amendment (Essential G) apps. I'm thinking of getting some Hydretain soon to help the soil retain moisture better.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:39:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#27]
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#30]
@Kitties-with-Sigs

Thanks again for your insight here! I did have some Air-8 but ran out but do have some RGS/Humic12 I can put down. I will definitely follow the instructions for the Hydretain and water it in immediately.

Also, I watched the video and he hit the nail on the head when it comes to reel mowing. It is NOT for everyone. I still rotary mow my backyard and while I'm still a noob when it comes to reel mowing, I can firmly say I enjoy it and will likely be a gateway to a greens mower one day.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#31]

That looks like oxalis/yellow wood sorrel.

Take a look at this and see if it is.  In your photos I don't have close-ups of the leaves or flowers to make absolutely certain, so inspect it carefully.  See if you note any differences.    Here is a page of oxalis/wood sorrel images.

oxalis/yellow wood sorrel
View Quote

It is not sorrel.  We have some sorrel, which my wife loves, but this is not it.  I'll see if I can get better photos.  

So some thoughts here....You may not need any of this, but somebody else interested in the pesticide free lawn might gain from it.

Here's what I tell You in particular, as well as other homeowners who want to do their own lawn care without pesticides....

Okay so assuming that is oxalis of some kind, you have a fight on your hands that I am afraid to say you can win using only manual labor, and that's pretty much all you've got, because you've got a seed bank in that soil, and oxalis is notoriously difficult to control.

So if it were me and I would not use herbicides at all, I would dedicate all the time I could to hand pulling, and that means watering regularly so you CAN pull the weeds and get root and all.

INVEST IN SOME MANUAL WEED CONTROL TOOLS.... Some type of stand-up weeder would be a good investment, as would a good weed torch, though I have not found one that is effective and inexpensive at the same time.  

So my process would be as follows:

1-Focus on growing great grass.

a-Mow properly.   Once a week at minimum, and tall rather than short.  Follow the "one-third rule."   If you're not going to help your grass along with chemical weed control (don't take that as a hit toward your philosophy--it's not one, but you are not artificially creating an easy life for the grass the way most of us do it ) at least don't abuse it with the mower.

b-maintain a thick stand--you will need to aerate and overseed in the fall  (prepare to bend over. Grass seed is gold right now).  You may need to dethatch. I can't tell without looking at your lawn and/or a cross section to see if you have actual thatch.  At the very least, it looks like you might have a lot of dead grass clipping/other material in the undercanopy that needs to come out, which means a power rake.  You would need to take these steps before you overseed.  What you are after is good seed-soil contact.

c- water regularly as needed.  Nice and deep and fairly infrequently in dry times, more often in drought, etc (this is not the same watering you do when you are growing new seed...that's different.)

d-Get a soil test.  Find out what's under there.   Focus on the soil--build good soil and the soil will grow good grass.

e-Make a feeding program for your lawn to keep it in top shape.   You can't expect it to fend off weeds if it's struggling.

2-I suggest you get to know some of the youtubers who grow great grass.  

Allyn Hayne (The Lawn Care Nut) Especially the older videos  He is not pesticide free, but you will learn about grass and he is entertaining, fun and a great guy.

John Perry (Lawncology)--He grows such great grass that he ends up using almost NO herbicides.  You want to follow his example. You will also like the products he makes if you want to remain as sustainable/synthetic-chemical-free as possible.   If I watched no other channel but one, I would choose this one, go back to the beginning, and watch them all.

3-Spend some money on weed removal equipment as stated above including a good-quality weed torch (High BTU) and find a stand-up "weed popper" or manual tool that you can use without bending over as much.    Plan to water before you weed so you can get the entire root

4-Understand that you will have weeds.  Some invasions, depending on where you live, you won't win.  So the bar has to be a little lower. Nothing wrong with that.
View Quote

I really appreciate you taking the time to write this post.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:00:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#32]
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 12:40:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 12:53:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 1:33:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#36]
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Did I get one oddball piece of midiron in my load of Tiffway 419?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 1:56:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#38]
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 2:11:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#39]
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:51:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheStig] [#40]

Do you happen to have a window of roughly the same shape on that side of your house near the spot? If so, maybe sunlight is hitting it and bouncing off to the grass heating it up more in that area than the surrounding turf?

ETA: That's some thick 419, looks great!
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:01:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheStig] [#41]

@TheStig  I'm going back through the thread, trying to determine whether I've missed anybody's post, and I saw that you got your new grooved roller.

Some questions from a non-reel mower:

1-What did you have before?

2-Are the grooves an improvement?  If so, why?

View Quote

@Kitties-with-Sigs

1) I was using a smooth roller
2) I think so but I'm only planning on using it for the summer months

The smooth roller *feels* like it makes the mower easier to control and it seems to me like it slides around a little less and definitely turns easier. The quality of cut also *appears* to have improved slightly as it is not laying down all the grass along the width of the roller. This is all subjective though and honestly probably makes little to no difference at the cutting height I'm currently at. At 1/2" or less, they are typically recommended though over a smooth roller to give a more even and consistent cut (from what I've read and from a discussion I had with CT). Grooved rollers are not recommended for new turf/sod as they tend to dig into the ground a bit more and can cause damage with a soft ground so it's best to use them only on established turf or during peak growing months. I plan to switch it out for the smooth roller for the fall and spring.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:46:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: savage1971] [#42]
@Savage1971

Something I just noticed:

I was reading back through the thread, because sometimes I miss posts, and I don't want to leave anybody out cuz I had a brain fart.

I saw that you said one thing you don't like about your fescue is...it requires weekly mowings.

Any grass you put in is going to need that, if you want a good lawn.

I *think* you realize that, but I wanted to just be certain.  The Bermuda definitely requires weekly mowings, and actually could do with more if you want perfect.  Doesnt' mean you have to do more.  Bazillions of Bermuda lawn owners mow once a week.

But while fescue looks bad if you let it go too long, then take too much off?

Bermuda looks like absolute butt if you do that.

So....plan to mow.  Get yourself a mower you love.  Don't mow the Bermuda first, then the fescue, cuz you will have a Bermuda front yard within three years.  I would lay money on the table that this will happen.

You have to keep them completely separate, and that means cleaning the mower like crazy. I think you said you won't take the Bermuda mower into the front yard.  Just don't forget and mow with the small mower to trim out back, then take it in front.  

This has to be like "don't spread covid."

Only..Bermuda is more contagios than covid.

Just sayin.

View Quote
I don't mind mowing the front fescue every week, but didnt want to have to mow the other 25,000 ft every week, but I have already conceded that I will have to.
One of the things I thought, was that fescue put out a ton of clippings weekly. I have learned that is not the case when compared to bermuda. I have been doing my brother in laws bermuda now for the past 3 or 4 weeks. I will get about 2 bushels of clippings off my fescue which has grown probably 3 inches in the week. My brother in laws bermuda has maybe grown 5/8 of an inch and I will pull off almost 6 bushels of clippings off his yard and they are close to the same size. I guess there are way more blades at 5/8" than there are at 3" on my fescue.

I did finally decide to go with bermuda and chose an oasis blend. I think it will do nicely and hold up to the traffic well. I finished dragging my lower part of my field last weekend and am going to try and get it planted this coming weekend.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#43]

Are you talking about that paled-out rectangle?

So this was sod?

And you know for CERTAIN that this piece starts and ends where the rectangle starts and ends?

Cuz it sure as heck looks like it.

Either you have something perfectly rectangular under that piece of lawn, or you got a piece of different sod.

ETA:  First, I'd pull a core on that...or drive a piece of rebar into the middle of it..or...anything to make sure there's nothing down there (I know there's not and you know there's not but....yeah).

Then assuming nothing is under there I'd cut that out and replace it.

ETA2:  It's weird because it looks like I can see the lines at the ends of the two pieces adjacent to it, and it looks like they all end at the same point.  That may be an illusion, cuz that should be laid staggered, like a wood floor.  That's why it's important to know for sure the piece of sod starts and ends exactly where the rectangle does.  Cuz if that's not the case, something else is wrong.
View Quote
Yes, it's sod. I just put it down a month ago. It looks great except for that one piece. I didn't notice right away. Then I thought it was just dryer and would come around.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#44]

Do you happen to have a window of roughly the same shape on that side of your house near the spot? If so, maybe sunlight is hitting it and bouncing off to the grass heating it up more in that area than the surrounding turf?

ETA: That's some thick 419, looks great!
View Quote
Thanks. I couldn't find anyone to do it, timely. So, I laid it myself.

The only other issues I have are two giant, furry assholes that tear ass and piss all over it. The urine burns the grass.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#45]

That looks like oxalis/yellow wood sorrel.

Take a look at this and see if it is.  In your photos I don't have close-ups of the leaves or flowers to make absolutely certain, so inspect it carefully.  See if you note any differences.    Here is a page of oxalis/wood sorrel images.

oxalis/yellow wood sorrel
View Quote

Looks like black medic.  I have lots of the stuff.

I just read where bpi Gordon t-zone is effective.  Has triclopyr, 2,4-d, & dicambra in it.

I'm about ready to try it. We have black medic (clover family), thistles, & spurge - no shortage of dandelions either.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#46]

@abnk

I showed your photo to some friends who work lawns in Indiana, and am told that it is Lesser Trefoil.   Lesser Trefoil

I have not faced this, but it is kin to the clovers/oxalis/wood sorrels and is a difficult weed to manage.  Hopefully the link will be some help.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59617/EDDD8A77-2F52-4E8A-AF92-9B1EE167B758_jpe-2410777.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59617/0C887A73-0CE4-4723-A243-E3F428BB2CA8_jpe-2410779.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59617/BD78040A-B4CA-4108-9D9C-47A076A9362B_jpe-2410780.JPG

@abnk

I showed your photo to some friends who work lawns in Indiana, and am told that it is Lesser Trefoil.   Lesser Trefoil

I have not faced this, but it is kin to the clovers/oxalis/wood sorrels and is a difficult weed to manage.  Hopefully the link will be some help.

It is not lesser treefoil, but your link pointed me in the right direction.  Thank you very much.

From your link:

It is quite often mistaken for Black Medic Medicaga lupulina as they look very similar. The only real way of telling the difference between them is the seed pods of black medic turn black late in the growing season.

From my original description:

Those yellow flowers turn into small green berries, which turn black later.

After looking at the photos in that page, it is unquestionably black medic.

Cultural control

Hand weeding can prove effective, taking care to remove the whole plant.
Maintain good turf health with proper feeding and irrigate during times of drought.
Raking the weed into an upright position prior to cutting the lawn will help remove leaves and stems of the plant, thus weakening it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Combo question here. I haven't treated my lawn with any kind of herbicide for a couple of years, since I started keeping chickens, that primarily free range. The clover and miscellaneous lawn weeds are now out of control and it is driving me crazy. If I treat my lawn with a mild 24d or other lawn weed mix, what would be least harmful to the hens, and how long do I have to keep them locked up before its safe to let them back on the lawn. I've heard three days but that doesn't seem long enough.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#49]
PGR has been applied along with Hydretain this past week and also started spoon feeding fast release Ammonium Sulfate once weekly. I unfortunately let it grow a bit too much in between mows and have started to see scalp marks in a few spots. Mowing about every other day (some times every day when able) has been tough in this heat so had to get that PGR down. Planning on doing a HoC reset this weekend so it will look like poop for a few weeks but should come back in nicely and really start to thicken up.

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top