Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I must do the second mowing of the lawn today for the spring season.

Should I use my weed and feed now? Its still cool but it's going to hit 90s in a few weeks. Maybe 1-2 mowing from now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#2]
If your grass is actively growing, ~50% green up, I'd go ahead and fertalize. I put pre-emergent down earlier as soil temps reach 55 degrees which is before most summer weeds begin germinating.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 12:38:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#3]
So the big giant evergreens are back of yard, we will stay about 20' from them and drop elevation about 8' so we will have a 30x70 backyard and front will slope to road. And yup that's snow from this morning

Attachment Attached File

Silver thing is a 10x10 chicken coup
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Forgive me if you said this.   Are you going to scrape off the topsoil and save it?  

Cuz...8 feet down, you won't have anything good.   What you save will be cheaper than what you buy.

I'm not dodging your questions. Just trying to understand exactly what will be happening.
View Quote

Yeah, a good dozer pilot will make piles based on composition - topsoil, clay, fill/rock, etc - and redeploy them where appropriate.

Might as well have him cut your pond it while he's here.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Plan is to have him save top soil, and a pond is probably going to happen cuz' wife wants one

and 8ft was my guess he says it probably wont be that much
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Plan is to have him save top soil, and a pond is probably going to happen cuz' wife wants one

and 8ft was my guess he says it probably wont be that much
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Kitties I hope you’re doing well! You helped me a couple of years ago and now I’m back to ask for further assistance I know you don’t deal with warm season grasses but maybe you can point me in the right direction.

I’m in a new build near Houston Texas. St Augustine sod laid in January 2022. The ground is what we call gumbo which is a sticky wet clay, then a couple of inches of sand/clay mix and then the sod was laid on top. So the only soil/nutrients are in the sod.

Everything for the most part is green besides some pieces of sod that never took, and random dead spots where I’m finding builders treasures that were buried. I was told not to put any pre emergent down for the first year on new sod so I’m coming to seek advice for post emergent stuff.

I’ve for sure got the following weeds and probably some more: henbit deadnettle, poa annua, spiny snowthistle, marsh parsley, lesser swinecress, scarlet pimpernel, Common mugwort, common carpet grass, Virginia plantain, chickweed, and garden sorrel.

My research so far has lead me to believe that Celsius and Certainty make for a good combo for post emergent with my current weeds and warmer temps.

I’ve got an irrigation system to water deep in the morning before sunrise.

This past weekend was my 3rd mow and I applied Lesco 20-5-10 fert afterwards and watered in.

Also, the guys who laid the sod did a great job of spacing the pieces out by an inch or 2 instead of touching them so I’ve got a lot of unevenness and divots. Would it make sense to get some masonry sand and try to level things out next month once things get growing more?

Sorry for all the questions at once, I’ve been meaning to post here a little at a time but getting settled into a new house takes all of my free time

ETA: I have not had a soil test done. With it being sod, sand and clay, should I still get one done or wait until next year?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:54:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheStig] [#11]
Originally Posted By sg1991:
Hey Kitties I hope you’re doing well! You helped me a couple of years ago and now I’m back to ask for further assistance I know you don’t deal with warm season grasses but maybe you can point me in the right direction.

I’m in a new build near Houston Texas. St Augustine sod laid in January 2022. The ground is what we call gumbo which is a sticky wet clay, then a couple of inches of sand/clay mix and then the sod was laid on top. So the only soil/nutrients are in the sod.

Everything for the most part is green besides some pieces of sod that never took, and random dead spots where I’m finding builders treasures that were buried. I was told not to put any pre emergent down for the first year on new sod so I’m coming to seek advice for post emergent stuff.

I’ve for sure got the following weeds and probably some more: henbit deadnettle, poa annua, spiny snowthistle, marsh parsley, lesser swinecress, scarlet pimpernel, Common mugwort, common carpet grass, Virginia plantain, chickweed, and garden sorrel.

My research so far has lead me to believe that Celsius and Certainty make for a good combo for post emergent with my current weeds and warmer temps.

I’ve got an irrigation system to water deep in the morning before sunrise.

This past weekend was my 3rd mow and I applied Lesco 20-5-10 fert afterwards and watered in.

Also, the guys who laid the sod did a great job of spacing the pieces out by an inch or 2 instead of touching them so I’ve got a lot of unevenness and divots. Would it make sense to get some masonry sand and try to level things out next month once things get growing more?

Sorry for all the questions at once, I’ve been meaning to post here a little at a time but getting settled into a new house takes all of my free time

ETA: I have not had a soil test done. With it being sod, sand and clay, should I still get one done or wait until next year?
View Quote

While I'm not Kitties, I can try to help answer some questions here  -  

It looks like you have a good plan in place and are doing the right things. Feed, water, and mow, and it'll fill out quickly once we are consistently in the 80s+! Celsius and Certainty seems to be the go to for post-emergent weed control in warm season grass. I haven't tried them yet but currently spot spray various selective herbicides (2-4d, sedgehammer, etc) based on my situation but will likely switch to that combo soon enough.

If you haven't yet, test your watering zones to see how long it takes to put down 1" of water. You can do this in a bunch of different ways but I marked some old tupperware containers at 1/2" spaced out in an area in a single zone and timed how long that took to reach the 1/2" mark - rinse and repeat for each zone. Also keep an eye out for excess water run-off and if you need to, space out waterings enough to it soak in (spaced out though in one day per week). ETA: For new sod you want to water daily and keep the ground moist for about a week.

I'd wait until the grass is established to begin pre-emergent. That's when the roots have taken hold and you cannot easily pull up the sod. You might be good to start by this fall.

For sand leveling, it is typically recommended to wait until the middle of summer, when the grass is growing fastest and the likelihood of strong storms with high precipitation are the lowest. I spot-leveled a couple weeks back up here in Fort Worth and plan on doing a full level soon. As long as the grass is actively growing you are good to level.

Soil testing is never a bad idea but not 100% necessary in my opinion unless you have some problems. I think people are too quick to recommend folks get them done. That being said, if you decide to get one, go with A&M if you can since you're in Tx (http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/webpages/forms.html) - will be much more accurate than those soil tests you get from amazon or other online stores.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TheStig:

While I'm not Kitties, I can try to help answer some questions here  -  

It looks like you have a good plan in place and are doing the right things. Feed, water, and mow, and it'll fill out quickly once we are consistently in the 80s+! Celsius and Certainty seems to be the go to for post-emergent weed control in warm season grass. I haven't tried them yet but currently spot spray various selective herbicides (2-4d, sedgehammer, etc) based on my situation but will likely switch to that combo soon enough.

If you haven't yet, test your watering zones to see how long it takes to put down 1" of water. You can do this in a bunch of different ways but I marked some old tupperware containers at 1/2" spaced out in an area in a single zone and timed how long that took to reach the 1/2" mark - rinse and repeat for each zone. Also keep an eye out for excess water run-off and if you need to, space out waterings enough to it soak in (spaced out though in one day per week). ETA: For new sod you want to water daily and keep the ground moist for about a week.

I'd wait until the grass is established to begin pre-emergent. That's when the roots have taken hold and you cannot easily pull up the sod. You might be good to start by this fall.

For sand leveling, it is typically recommended to wait until the middle of summer, when the grass is growing fastest and the likelihood of strong storms with high precipitation are the lowest. I spot-leveled a couple weeks back up here in Fort Worth and plan on doing a full level soon. As long as the grass is actively growing you are good to level.

Soil testing is never a bad idea but not 100% necessary in my opinion unless you have some problems. I think people are too quick to recommend folks get them done. That being said, if you decide to get one, go with A&M if you can since you're in Tx (http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/webpages/forms.html) - will be much more accurate than those soil tests you get from amazon or other online stores.

Hope this helps!
View Quote

No worries I just mentioned him since he helped me last time.

I’m looking at a ryobi backpack sprayer to mix the herbicides. Also going to get some dye so I don’t overspray areas.

I do need to fine tune my sprinkler times and plan to do the tuna can test so I can put down an inch a week.

Ah yes I’ll wait June to get the sand to level it. Gotta do a lot of spot filling and then maybe next year I’ll do a big leveling job. The builders will probably need to regrade some of my yard once I convince them their grading job only made a bowl of part of my backyard.

I appreciate the help! Trying to make it a good yard for my kid to run around in and not twist an ankle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sg1991:

No worries I just mentioned him since he helped me last time.

I’m looking at a ryobi backpack sprayer to mix the herbicides. Also going to get some dye so I don’t overspray areas.

I do need to fine tune my sprinkler times and plan to do the tuna can test so I can put down an inch a week.

Ah yes I’ll wait June to get the sand to level it. Gotta do a lot of spot filling and then maybe next year I’ll do a big leveling job. The builders will probably need to regrade some of my yard once I convince them their grading job only made a bowl of part of my backyard.

I appreciate the help! Trying to make it a good yard for my kid to run around in and not twist an ankle.
View Quote

Depending on what you spray, it might be beneficial to use different nozzles.  Here's the spray tips I recently picked up for my sprayer (My4Sons backpack):

For soil apps (bigger droplet size, less affected by wind):
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00CMU33JQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
For foliar apps (very fine spray mist, don't use on windy days):
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00CMU77U2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Good luck and post some pics once it's greened up!
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone know what this growing plant is? Popping up all over my yard. And how do I get rid of it?

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 2:50:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheStig] [#15]
Originally Posted By fuzzy03cls:
Anyone know what this growing plant is? Popping up all over my yard. And how do I get rid of it?
https://i.imgur.com/ApStOJU.jpg
View Quote

The white flowering one? Possibly hairy bittercress, whitlow-grass, or common chickweed maybe. Got a larger/higher res pic? Just guessing based on some quick and dirty google searching. 2,4d might knock it out. Do what Kitties suggested below - positive ID first before just spraying and praying. Not good to just guess and throw down chems (especially -ides).
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TheStig:

Depending on what you spray, it might be beneficial to use different nozzles.  Here's the spray tips I recently picked up for my sprayer (My4Sons backpack):

For soil apps (bigger droplet size, less affected by wind):
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00CMU33JQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
For foliar apps (very fine spray mist, don't use on windy days):
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00CMU77U2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Good luck and post some pics once it's greened up!
View Quote

Thanks for those recommendations! I’m probably going to have to use the bigger droplet size. I live by the coast and have a constant wind to deal with.

The grass really took off this last week since I put the fert down and we’ve had constantly warm temps, going to have to raise the height of the mower.

Anyone here have success weedeating around a “good neighbor” fence? It’a good idea in theory but creates a lot of corners that the strings don’t go into. And of course trying to get into the corners will tear up the fence. I can post a picture if y’all are unfamiliar with it. I’m sort of tempted to put 4” metal flashing on the bottom of the fence going all the way around my yard because I know over the years the weed eater line is going to eat away at the fence no matter how gentle I am. There’s around 300’ of fence line to deal with.
Eventually I’ll do mulch beds and have plants along the fence but I’m not ready for the landscaping yet.

Any and all ideas are welcome :)
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe power rotary scissors would work? They're all the rage at the moment and seem to be preferred for tough spots where you don't want to potentially damage something nearby with a string trimmer. If you have the type of trimmer that has different attachments, you can just swap out the head for a Stens I believe.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:08:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#19]
1st order of business will be covering a bank to control erosion, good thing is there is not alot of water runoff due to already established routes to control water.

Let's guess 5 ft at 45* slop leading to a sharper 5ft drop.

Exposure is 95% east, will be shaded after 13:00

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Hi, long time lurker, first time posting here...

I have this growing in my yard.. very fast.. I think it's pokeweed but all the pictures I can find of it online are mature plants with the berries.  These don't have berries (maybe not yet).  They have a deep root that I have to dig down to get at.  I've been trying to dig them out as I see them but they're growing too fast for me, I don't have much down time.  I bought a glyphosate concentrate that I plant on spot treating.  I don't want to apply directly to the soil, yet.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This is still roughed in for footers etc,

Any thoughts?

Other than an arf wine tour
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:14:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#22]
Originally Posted By chriscamilo:
Hi, long time lurker, first time posting here...

I have this growing in my yard.. very fast.. I think it's pokeweed but all the pictures I can find of it online are mature plants with the berries.  These don't have berries (maybe not yet).  They have a deep root that I have to dig down to get at.  I've been trying to dig them out as I see them but they're growing too fast for me, I don't have much down time.  I bought a glyphosate concentrate that I plant on spot treating.  I don't want to apply directly to the soil, yet.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/437374/IMG_4718_JPEG-2361957.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/437374/IMG_4719_JPEG-2361958.JPG
View Quote

Sorry 😞  yup...hate it, but when you kill everything else it grows back...don't eat it unless you research it....

To add, if you kill it it comes back, if you let it go to green berries and chop them off, up...they don't grow back...

We spray fence rows, everything dies, then poke grows

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 12:19:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chriscamilo] [#23]
Originally Posted By bansil:

Sorry 😞  yup...hate it, but when you kill everything else it grows back...don't eat it unless you research it....

To add, if you kill it it comes back, if you let it go to green berries and chop them off, up...they don't grow back...

We spray fence rows, everything dies, then poke grows

View Quote

This thing is relentless. I bought the house last summer and I'm trying to clean up a garden that was unattended for the last 10 years.  The previous owner's had a couple of mulch bags near the garden and the pokeweed is growing under  and finding it's way out and through the bags!

I read that it was poisonous, definitely not eating it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#27]
For my Bermuda brothers here, give the Bermuda Bible a good read over at the lawn forum - it is a great resource.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:09:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#29]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:47:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#30]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:30:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chriscamilo] [#31]

@chriscamilo

That's not poke.  Poke does not have heart-shaped leaves.  

Here is a page full of photos, mostly all of which are pokeweed.  You will see that almost none of them have heart-shaped leaves.  And the growth habit when poke is young is absolutely NOTHING like what you have pictured here.

Google page for Pokeweed

Here is a page that does a good job of picturing pokeweed, from young through maturity.  
Good writeup on Poke.

You will see that none of the leaves have the distinctive heart shape of the plant in your photo. Nor do they have the distinctive red veins in the leaves. The growth habit is also completely different not only when young, but also throughout the plant's life cycle.  What you have is not pokeweed, but I will need some time to identify it accurately.

Identification is the first step to erradication.

But the main points are, a-dont' eat it (you can eat young poke. I grew up harvesting it and my people cooked and ate it. I hated it so did not eat it much.)  b-don't spray anything on it and waste the money or the time, and spray something into the world that might not kill it, until you know what it is.

It's in pots.  You are saying it is also in your yard?  I looked wrong.  

If you want to kill the plants without hurting anything else, pick a day when there isn't wind, and mix the glyphosate in a jar of water.  Get a cheap paintbrush and wear rubber gloves. Paint the herbicide onto the leaves of the plant.  Don't drip it on anythign you don't want to die.    

Tell me where you are located and I will be better able to help with weed identification.

ETA:  SORRY!  At first glance, I thought you had it in pots or a flower bed.  It sounds like that's not correct though.

Can we see it in the actual yard?

Also...don't apply glyphosate to the actual soil.  You won't kill anything that way.

I can recommend the right thing/way to kill this if painting it with glyphosate won't do it.  (Glyphosate has to be applied to something GREEN to do anything.  It gets absorbed through foliage only.  It is not taken up by roots)  

Let's figure out what you have, and we can help you kill it.
View Quote

Got your IM and replied to it,  Thanks!

ETA: Looked at more pictures online and now I'm certain is Japanese Knotweed...
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:51:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#32]
Question for the lawn/grass experts:

Is there a kind of grass that resembles Poa Annua, but isn't? The reason I'm using poa annua as a comparison is simply due to the color. The grass I'm wondering about is a VERY noticeably lighter, bright green than the deeper, darker green of the typical mix of Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue and Ryegrass seen in this part of MI. The color difference sticks out like the photos I've seen of lawns with patches of poa annua

A little more detail:

About 15 years ago, I had an old lady neighbor who lived on her own (husband had passed away years prior), who wasn't in good enough health to mow her own yard, so when I mowed mine, I'd mow hers as well.

The first year, I noticed this small ~2' patch of a much lighter green grass, growing in a narrow gap between a bush and tree near one corner of the house. Over the 3-4 years that I lived next to her, that patch continued to spread, eventually growing to about 15' x 20'.

I really noticed it when it first expanded into the path of the lawnmower. The pitch/sound of the mower changed, and I realized it was because the mower blades set at ~3.5" weren't touching this grass. It was shorter than the usual KBG, Fescue, Ryegrass mix that's common here. I crouched down to examine it more carefully and the blades were a much lighter, bright almost neon looking green (especially in contrast to the darker green of the common stuff). The blades were short, about 3", and finer/thinner/narrower.

Over the years, as the patch continued to expand, I noticed more features of this stuff. It was obviously more aggressive than the regular grass, as the patch continually expanded, but during dandelion season, I realized that her whole lawn was dotted with dandelions except for this patch of light, almost neon green grass. Dandelions (or ANY weeds) never really grew on it.

The other thing I noticed, was during the hot, dry months. The old lady was on a limited fixed income, so she NEVER watered the lawn. The rest of the lawn would turn brown, but this patch of grass stayed the same light neon green.

That's what made me think that it's NOT poa annua/poa trivialis. As I understand it,
1) poa annua will grow longer than 3"
2) the main reason people hate poa annua is because with the shallow roots, it's far more susceptible to drought and turns brown much more easily than regular grass.

I don't recall ever having seen 'seedheads' on this patch of grass. Over the years, the mower set at ~3.5" rarely if ever made contact with the stuff.

I always thought about cutting out a patch to take to an expert to figure out what it was, because it seemed like the ultimate lawn grass;  stayed short and didn't really need mowing. With no care/maintenance other than mowing once a week, the stuff didn't grow weeds, and unlike the rest of the lawn, this stuff didn't turn brown when it got hot and dry despite the lady not watering the lawn.

I regret not ever cutting out a patch of that grass to have it ID'ed, and after the old lady had to be moved into a senior care facility for health reasons, the new tenants mowed the lawn themselves.

Years later, when I went back out of curiosity about this grass, it was all gone. Someone probably thought it was poa annua and removed it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:46:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#33]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#36]

There are a number of grasses that can mimic Poa annua.

Without a photo, it's hard.

Poa annua cannot take heat, and is an annual grass.  It's not perennial. It comes up each year from seed, which germinates in the fall or very early spring. (It takes a fall pre-emergent to control it.)  So people don't like it because it's not a year-round grass.  It checks out when temps get hot, and the seeds lie in wait to come up after soil temps drop below 70 ish in the fall.  As far north as you are, you probably don't see a lot of it coming up until after the winter because you get snow cover I'm guessing?

Now...there may be some regional differences, but HERE, it stays very short.  You will almost never get it with a mower unless you are mowing your cool season grass way too short. One way to tell it is that it has those little pyramid shaped seed heads LONG before your normal fescues or KBG seeds.

Another grass people confuse with Poa annua is creeping red fescue.  I doubt it was that, but it has a very fine, sometimes neon-green blade.   (And most people want a darker green lawn.)

The neon-green color is most often associated with Poa trivialis, but it is generally taller, and grows faster than the rest of the grass.  In spring it looks like a soft carpet of bright green against the darker green of the desirable turfgrass.  Later in the summer, it develops a coarser appearance as the stems and leaves get taller.  

Here is a good writeup to help know the difference between Poa annua and Poa trivialis, but even with these things, all of us stop and stare at these grasses and go, "is that what I think it is?"  I don't do that with annua any more because I am so familiar with it, but trivialis always makes me stop and double-take, then look closer.  

Take a look at this from Purdue.

Here is a page of images of creeping red fescue.  Note the fine grass blades, and the paler green color.

There are a lot of reasons to NOT grow this grass, but some people do love it.  

ETA:  I should say this here...there are a number of conversations around professional circles about Poa annua becoming more heat tolerant, meaning it may stay around all year instead of dying out in the heat (for you, the dieback would come later anyway, because the heat likely comes later in the season for you) and thus it might become a perennial grass.   That's bad, because it means we can't get rid of it with any kind of pre-emergent or selective herbicide.  But so you know, like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, plants adapt and change to survive.  The undesirable Poa species may well be changing right in front of us.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:
Question for the lawn/grass experts:

Is there a kind of grass that resembles Poa Annua, but isn't? The reason I'm using poa annua as a comparison is simply due to the color. The grass I'm wondering about is a VERY noticeably lighter, bright green than the deeper, darker green of the typical mix of Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue and Ryegrass seen in this part of MI. The color difference sticks out like the photos I've seen of lawns with patches of poa annua

A little more detail:

About 15 years ago, I had an old lady neighbor who lived on her own (husband had passed away years prior), who wasn't in good enough health to mow her own yard, so when I mowed mine, I'd mow hers as well.

The first year, I noticed this small ~2' patch of a much lighter green grass, growing in a narrow gap between a bush and tree near one corner of the house. Over the 3-4 years that I lived next to her, that patch continued to spread, eventually growing to about 15' x 20'.

I really noticed it when it first expanded into the path of the lawnmower. The pitch/sound of the mower changed, and I realized it was because the mower blades set at ~3.5" weren't touching this grass. It was shorter than the usual KBG, Fescue, Ryegrass mix that's common here. I crouched down to examine it more carefully and the blades were a much lighter, bright almost neon looking green (especially in contrast to the darker green of the common stuff). The blades were short, about 3", and finer/thinner/narrower.

Over the years, as the patch continued to expand, I noticed more features of this stuff. It was obviously more aggressive than the regular grass, as the patch continually expanded, but during dandelion season, I realized that her whole lawn was dotted with dandelions except for this patch of light, almost neon green grass. Dandelions (or ANY weeds) never really grew on it.

The other thing I noticed, was during the hot, dry months. The old lady was on a limited fixed income, so she NEVER watered the lawn. The rest of the lawn would turn brown, but this patch of grass stayed the same light neon green.

That's what made me think that it's NOT poa annua/poa trivialis. As I understand it,
1) poa annua will grow longer than 3"
2) the main reason people hate poa annua is because with the shallow roots, it's far more susceptible to drought and turns brown much more easily than regular grass.

I don't recall ever having seen 'seedheads' on this patch of grass. Over the years, the mower set at ~3.5" rarely if ever made contact with the stuff.

I always thought about cutting out a patch to take to an expert to figure out what it was, because it seemed like the ultimate lawn grass;  stayed short and didn't really need mowing. With no care/maintenance other than mowing once a week, the stuff didn't grow weeds, and unlike the rest of the lawn, this stuff didn't turn brown when it got hot and dry despite the lady not watering the lawn.

I regret not ever cutting out a patch of that grass to have it ID'ed, and after the old lady had to be moved into a senior care facility for health reasons, the new tenants mowed the lawn themselves.

Years later, when I went back out of curiosity about this grass, it was all gone. Someone probably thought it was poa annua and removed it.

There are a number of grasses that can mimic Poa annua.

Without a photo, it's hard.

Poa annua cannot take heat, and is an annual grass.  It's not perennial. It comes up each year from seed, which germinates in the fall or very early spring. (It takes a fall pre-emergent to control it.)  So people don't like it because it's not a year-round grass.  It checks out when temps get hot, and the seeds lie in wait to come up after soil temps drop below 70 ish in the fall.  As far north as you are, you probably don't see a lot of it coming up until after the winter because you get snow cover I'm guessing?

Now...there may be some regional differences, but HERE, it stays very short.  You will almost never get it with a mower unless you are mowing your cool season grass way too short. One way to tell it is that it has those little pyramid shaped seed heads LONG before your normal fescues or KBG seeds.

Another grass people confuse with Poa annua is creeping red fescue.  I doubt it was that, but it has a very fine, sometimes neon-green blade.   (And most people want a darker green lawn.)

The neon-green color is most often associated with Poa trivialis, but it is generally taller, and grows faster than the rest of the grass.  In spring it looks like a soft carpet of bright green against the darker green of the desirable turfgrass.  Later in the summer, it develops a coarser appearance as the stems and leaves get taller.  

Here is a good writeup to help know the difference between Poa annua and Poa trivialis, but even with these things, all of us stop and stare at these grasses and go, "is that what I think it is?"  I don't do that with annua any more because I am so familiar with it, but trivialis always makes me stop and double-take, then look closer.  

Take a look at this from Purdue.

Here is a page of images of creeping red fescue.  Note the fine grass blades, and the paler green color.

There are a lot of reasons to NOT grow this grass, but some people do love it.  

ETA:  I should say this here...there are a number of conversations around professional circles about Poa annua becoming more heat tolerant, meaning it may stay around all year instead of dying out in the heat (for you, the dieback would come later anyway, because the heat likely comes later in the season for you) and thus it might become a perennial grass.   That's bad, because it means we can't get rid of it with any kind of pre-emergent or selective herbicide.  But so you know, like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, plants adapt and change to survive.  The undesirable Poa species may well be changing right in front of us.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't creeping red fescue, based on the pics in the link. I've seen thst stuff before, and always thought of it as 'green hair' , as it can grow to look like longish messy hair.

This grass never got much longer than about 3" over the 3-4 years that I mowed the neighbor's lawn for her. I don't really recall seeing seedheads in that patch of grass, which is why I thought it might be something other than poa annua/trivialis. It just stayed this short, fine, soft neon green carpet.

And yes, we do get snow cover here, including stretches where snow blankets the lawn continuously for weeks to a couple months.

TBH, what thought of doing was cutting up some sections to take to someone to ID, then plant it around my own yard, since it seemed to spread quite well. Although the color certainly looked markedly different than everyone else's lawns, the big draw for me was how little maintenance this stuff seemed to need. Didn't really need mowing, weeding or watering. Perfect for someone like me who doesn't find any enjoyment in yardwork.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Going back through here, I think I missed this.   Did I?

If I did, @PewPewPew1212 can you get a photo of the weed you call "sticker burrs/grassburs"?   That will help with knowing what to put on the ones you might get breaking through your pre-emergent.  

View Quote

None popping up yet but they didn’t show until a little later in the season last year.  I’ll get some pics on here when I see some!  Thanks for the great info here btw!
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Thank you for this thread.  I've not been able to focus much on my lawn during the past couple of years and it shows.  I'm probably too late to make a significant difference for this year, but I'll be paying attention to this thread and will try to turn things around.  I've got some devil weed that's spread pretty bad on about 1/3 of the lawn, but I don't want to spray herbicides.  Perhaps an irrigation system by August would be a good investment to start turning things around.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Not exactly homesteading but...we've lived in this house for about 5 years. I think the previous owners just laid down new sawd before they sold.

We've been cutting the grass weekly during spring/fall/summer seasons and I water twice per week, 15 minutes per zone. No lawn care products of any type.

This year, the grass is coming in but there is a lot of brown, dead grass where before we had nice lush green. See pics... some of the area gets a lot of shade due to the large trees in the front...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:36:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheStig] [#42]
Originally Posted By Voland:
...snip...
View Quote

That looks like St. Aug which is fairly shade tolerant but still needs some sun (3-4 hours direct sun a day minimum). If you're not getting that you may need to raise the tree canopy a bit or thin it out. It spreads primarily by runners (stolons) so those spots should fill in with proper watering and fertilizing - you don't really need to worry about the dead stuff (thatch) unless it's really thick (more than 1"). From the looks of it, you don't have much, if any weed pressure which is great. At the bare minimum I would recommend fertilizing .5lb-1lb of Nitrogen (per 1k sqft) per month, mowing it twice a week if possible (cutting no more than 1/3 of the grass height off at a time) and try to keep waterings to once week as well; 1" total per week including rain (google/youtube "tuna can test irrigation") set to start early in the morning and cycling/soaking zones if need be to avoid run-off/wasting water. Though keep in mind you could also be deficient in other important macro nutrients like Phosphorus and Potassium and without knowing that or where your soil pH is at, it's going to be hard to recommend exactly what you should do and therefore would recommend you get a soil test done (Texas A&M Ag Extension).

Check out the lawn care nut on youtube - his older videos have some good content on caring for St. Augustine grass (newer ones seem to be more him promoting his business rather than pure content).
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:53:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheStig] [#46]

You are WAY more in tune with warm season than I am.    I will say there appears to be a LOT of either thatch, or dead something in that lawn.

I would not have been able to instantly ID this as St. Aug, and I'm interested in how you did that?

Of course, I don't have that grass up here.

So the learning curve is steep for me with the warm season grasses.

@TheStig

View Quote

I ASSuMEd based on the pics of the grass and that his location is TX. Most people here tend to either have that or Bermuda or Zoysia and that wide grass leaf and straw-like thatch layer looks like my St. Aug patch in my backyard. It could be Centipede but I think SA is more popular/prevalent and from the pics I've seen above and others of Centipede, I'd say the leaf structure here resembles SA more than anything else I've come across in my limited and non-professional experience.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#47]
@Kitties-with-Sigs @TheStig

Thank you both! I found the YouTube channel and down the rabbit hole I go... Ill look at getting a soil sample done and add some nutrients based on that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#49]
So, everything I've read online indicates that Fall is preferable for overseeding.

What are the realistic limitations/expectations for overseeding now in MI (zone 5 or 6?)?

Daytime temps just hit the 80s for the first time this year, and are supposed to be highs in the 80s until Saturday, then dropping back to highs in the 70s and possibly 60s for the next 2 weeks. Night time temps in the 50s and 60s.

Assuming this lawn clueless noob bought grass seed already; If overseeding now isn't ideal, will the seed store just fine until this Fall?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:42:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#50]
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top