Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:38:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Disease has arrived.  After a week of rain, powdery mildew should not be a surprise. Some other type of rot is also trying to set up house keeping.

Got most of the tomatoes tied up again today.

Rattlesnake pole beans tied up.

Entropy is a cruel task master.

Romas are getting huge.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:43:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:44:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:10:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Planted two 20' rows of crowder peas. There were several stretches about 2-3' long where not 1 seed sprouted. So I re-seeded, but this time I put Miracle Grow potting soil in it. Still not one single seed has germinated.

This has me baffled. Did I just happen to randomly pick and plant 50 or so seeds in a row from a bag of seeds that were bad...not once but twice?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By billyhill:
Disease has arrived.  After a week of rain, powdery mildew should not be a surprise. Some other type of rot is also trying to set up house keeping.

Got most of the tomatoes tied up again today.

Rattlesnake pole beans tied up.

Entropy is a cruel task master.

Romas are getting huge.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105091/Screenshot_20210612-233043_Gallery_jpg-1976725.JPG
View Quote

It's my understanding that Neem Oil takes care of powdery mildew in addition to many varieties of bugs

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 6:16:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrTinkles] [#6]
I planted some random pepper plants in pots on the porch and they seem to be doing good.

Not sure what i should use to feed them, i used potting soil mixed with homemade compost initially
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

You should take photos of that for all the "I'm a new gardener and I'm going to try an acre this year" posts we get each winter.  
View Quote

Which part you want me to show them? The weeds, disease, pest, or the heartbreak of 70 lbs of tomatoes winding up in the kitchen at one time???
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Avidrook:

It's my understanding that Neem Oil takes care of powdery mildew in addition to many varieties of bugs

View Quote

Looks like we are going to find out.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MrTinkles:
I planted some random pepper plants in pots on the porch and they seem to be doing good.

Not sure what i should use to feed them, i used potting soil mixed with homemade compost initially
View Quote

Miracle grow works and is easy

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Which part you want me to show them? The weeds, disease, pest, or the heartbreak of 70 lbs of tomatoes winding up in the kitchen at one time???
View Quote

LOL

Time to spend a day in the kitchen canning tomatoes

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#11]
That is a fine problem to have.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I have peas ready to pick now.   I got them planted on St Padraigs day.  The earliest I think I’ve ever been able to get them in.   The vines are looking very nice.   Still making lots of blossoms too, and the bees are helping, plus it’s going to cool down for the next week or so.  
But so much rain and so little time aside from work I’m have a hard time getting other things transplanted.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#13]
My peas are about 2" long. I am way behind. But, pea plant health looks good. About 400 row feet of peas currently.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:59:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Avidrook] [#14]
I must be way ahead of the game, except for billy and his tomatoes

I'm thinking about a second planting already.  What and when?

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I went small this year and gave my little beds some rest for the season and went for containers.  

Noticed after all the week of rain I am getting baby mushrooms growing in my a few of my tomatoes.  I am afraid it is a fungal problem.  Anybody with suggestions how to curb this before it gets worse?
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Got all the lettuce we can eat now, but not much else is ready. Only lost 3 cabbage plants, and didn’t get the potatoes in until late. Everything else is doing well, and all 16 chickens have survived and are growing like weeds.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:46:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#17]
Ground drying up enough to till

May try to put in some peanuts.

Some tomatoes may be showing signs of southern blight. Spraying and praying is about all I can do for it. The spraying probably won't help much if it is SB.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By gotuonpaper:
Noticed after all the week of rain I am getting baby mushrooms growing in my a few of my tomatoes.  I am afraid it is a fungal problem.  Anybody with suggestions how to curb this before it gets worse?
View Quote

I'm far from an expert, but I think the fungicide Dactonyl (sp?) is what was recommended to me in years past.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:

I'm far from an expert, but I think the fungicide Dactonyl (sp?) is what was recommended to me in years past.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I think I have some Mancozeb somewhere in my shed.  You spray the leaves or the soil?
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I think I have some Mancozeb somewhere in my shed.  You spray the leaves or the soil?
View Quote

It's been a few years, but I think that the product I used was diluted in water and applied directly to the leaves.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Ground drying up enough to till

May try to put in some peanuts.

Some tomatoes may be showing signs of southern blight. Spraying and praying is about all I can do for it. The spraying probably won't help much if it is SB.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105091/20210614_180258_jpg-1980005.JPG
View Quote

That's pretty

Did you grow that?

Link Posted: 6/16/2021 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Getting ready to put the last of the melon transplants out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Avidrook:

That's pretty

Did you grow that?

View Quote

Probably last one out, Cole crops are about done till fall.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#24]

It's been a few years, but I think that the product I used was diluted in water and applied directly to the leaves.
View All Quotes

I got it our last evening and did exactly that. We will see how it works. Fingers crossed. These tomatoes are looking better than any early signs I’ve seen our of my tries since I’ve lived here.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

Blanching kale for the freezer. Pulled last of it last night. It was starting to bolt. Potato kale soup on the menu tonight.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#26]
My very first cucumber ever. The plants have hundreds of blooms but haven't seen any baby cukes until I spotted this one this morning. Maybe they'll start coming on all at once now.

Have some Burpee picklebush in a pot that are looking good and have some Boston pickling cukes that I'll transplant in a couple weeks.

Link Posted: 6/19/2021 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

And there is always one

LCP for size

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/19/2021 8:36:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#28]
Quick pickles are on the agenda today. Rain, rain go away...

Some ask for a corn picture to show its recovery from the blow down

Attachment Attached File

Sorry for the sideways
Attachment Attached File
ok
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:06:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#29]
Potatoes
Attachment Attached File

Potato kale soup

Attachment Attached File

Yesterdays haul
Attachment Attached File

Tomatoes are getting close
Attachment Attached File

Refrigerator pickles
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:28:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#31]
Need to do more. Kitty's comments earlier warning about over reach is real. This isn't my first rodeo and only about 1/2 the size of my largest garden and it is kicking my butt. It is going to get real interesting as the tomatoes and peas and corn come in and need to be frozen or canned.
Attachment Attached File

Drying squash.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By bc5000:
Planted two 20' rows of crowder peas. There were several stretches about 2-3' long where not 1 seed sprouted. So I re-seeded, but this time I put Miracle Grow potting soil in it. Still not one single seed has germinated.

This has me baffled. Did I just happen to randomly pick and plant 50 or so seeds in a row from a bag of seeds that were bad...not once but twice?
View Quote

Is it possible that some sort of pre-emergent or some other random chemical made its way onto this area?
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone have any idea what's up with these green beans?

It's kind of a blue or purple (i'm color blind) and I've found maybe 8 beans like this

It's hard to tell but they may be from the same plant

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:52:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#35]
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Yes.  all of it.

The new gardener's eyes are always bigger than his back is strong, in December and January and February.

View Quote

I’ve been guilty of it. My wife and I have a small lot and places to plant around the house.

We just plant what we can use then supplement with bulk buys from farmers to can and preserve.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I went to Florida for a week.  Just got back today.   After months of drought we get downpours and tons of weeds.  Corn is choking in them despite weed cover in between the rows. Spent an hour picking potato bugs. Squash os powdery. Ugh!
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By LRLaurel:

Is it possible that some sort of pre-emergent or some other random chemical made its way onto this area?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LRLaurel:

Absolutely no chance.

I got some more seeds from a different company and reseeded for the 3rd time a couple days ago. A few have already sprouted. I also noticed something has been digging up a few of the seeds I just reseeded. A perfectly round hole about the size of my thumb. What kind of little creature would know there's a seed in that exact spot an inch under the surface?
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:35:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#39]
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Tomatoes and squash starting to produce in some quantities.
Attachment Attached File

Bruschetta and squash gratin on the menu tonight.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I never cared much for raw cucumbers for some reason, but I love pickles. Tonight I sliced up the first small cuke I picked and dipped each slice in ranch dip while dinner was cooking. I'll be doing this again soon.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I never cared much for raw cucumbers for some reason, but I love pickles. Tonight I sliced up the first small cuke I picked and dipped each slice in ranch dip while dinner was cooking. I'll be doing this again soon.
View Quote

Peel and slice them then with some white onion and put in a cold water salt brine for about 30 minutes. Talk about good.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Peel and slice them then with some white onion and put in a cold water salt brine for about 30 minutes. Talk about good.
View All Quotes

Tomato and cucumber salad is awesome
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Tomato and cucumber salad is awesome
View Quote

Agreed.  

I also do one with unpeeled sliced cukes tossed in ACV, EVOO, Sugar and S/P.

Delicious
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I found this hiding under a leaf today

It should be ready soon

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Deer got in the fence and wreaked havoc. All the strawberries are gone, all the grapes below the fence defoliated. 6 or 7 trees hit hard.

They didnt touch the tomatoes though...

about time for SSS......
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Eggplant Parm for dinner tonight  

Attachment Attached File

And a few other goodies

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#48]
My biggest eggplant is about the size of my thumb.

I am going to try and ferment a gallon of pickles starting today. Made kraut several times but never done pickles.

I think I'm going to fire up the new food mill and make some tomato sauce.

It is amazing how much garden work takes place in the kitchen
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#49]

I am going to try and ferment a gallon of pickles starting today. Made kraut several times but never done pickles.

View Quote

Yep, once you grow it you have to do something with it

Link Posted: 6/28/2021 12:18:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotuonpaper] [#50]

View Quote

ETA: nvm.  you read my response in your other thread.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top