User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Be careful what you ask for...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Friends birthday dinner yesterday was spaghetti and bruschetta.  The tomatoes for the sauce and topping were still on the vine at 0630 that morning. Spent today processing the last of the peas for a while (more coming), rattlesnake beans, and more tomatoes.  Going to cut last of the corn this evening, it got blown down but is ready to harvest.

This has been the wettest summer in a very long time.  I have never seen fungal problems this bad. Weird year overall.

Should I till my old pea vines under or mow them first and then till? May not be able to get a mower in there as wet as it is. Same question for the corn, i guess.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By billyhill:
Friends birthday dinner yesterday was spaghetti and bruschetta.  The tomatoes for the sauce and topping were still on the vine at 0630 that morning. Spent today processing the last of the peas for a while (more coming), rattlesnake beans, and more tomatoes.  Going to cut last of the corn this evening, it got blown down but is ready to harvest.

This has been the wettest summer in a very long time.  I have never seen fungal problems this bad. Weird year overall.

Should I till my old pea vines under or mow them first and then till? May not be able to get a mower in there as wet as it is. Same question for the corn, i guess.
View Quote

My wife wanted bruschetta for our anniversary and we had to buy tomatoes. I have hundreds of them in the garden but nothing red yet
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 5:50:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#4]
Sorry to hear that, the good news is they will be worth waiting for.

@Buckshot4U

I hope you are happy, I wasted entirely too much time trying to get appropriately good cheesecake garden photos. The winter squash in the duct tape bikini was a concern considering the strict enforcement of COC.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear that, the good news is they will be worth waiting for.

@Buckshot4U

I hope you are happy, I wasted entirely too much time trying to get appropriately good cheesecake garden photos. The winter squash in the duct tape bikini was a concern considering the strict enforcement of COC.
View Quote

Excellent hair removal tool though.  You're welcome.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I feel like Michael Corleon with these peas, everytime I think I'm out, they drag me back in. I am officially out of freezer space.

Link Posted: 7/24/2021 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Be careful what you ask for...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105091/20210720_113113_jpg-2021485.JPG
View Quote

Are those eat 'em now potatoes or for long term storage?

I have a couple of plants and they are starting to die back.  I want long term so I read I should leave them in the ground for a couple of weeks before digging

Storage is also a problem.  Who has a 40* dark place to store spuds?  Not me

Now that's assuming there are potatoes in the ground

Link Posted: 7/24/2021 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Storage issues are a major reason I still have potatoes in the ground.  These should be tempered for storage and the tops have died back. Thought about storing in the crawl space beneath the house. Will probably give most away and store those I keep in bin in the kitchen.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#10]
We don't eat a lot of potatoes so I hope to give some away and store some.

I planted them as an experiment more than anything

I hope it wasn't a waste of garden space

Link Posted: 7/25/2021 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I was taking out the dead potato plants and I found this

Attachment Attached File

I hope this isn't what I worked so hard for!
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#12]
There are probably more. Just started raining ... Mother In Law put in an order for 5 lbs for potatoe salad at church and wanted them today. She is a good woman and will probably get her taters even if I am digging in the rain.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

What I am doing at 2230. Keep it in mind when you think you want a big garden.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#17]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105091/20210725_222600_jpg-2028261.JPG

What I am doing at 2230. Keep it in mind when you think you want a big garden.
View Quote

Green beans are a pain to pick and process. I cut way back this year.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 8:03:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#18]
Yep, these are pole beans. Much easier on the back. I was planning on planting  butter beans and accidentally bought bush instead of pole and never stuck them in the ground.

Got a pile of 30 to 40 lbs of tomatoes to process today. I think a lot of those will be oven roasted and turned into a tomatoe paste.

Almost forgot,  I've got 40 ears of corn to cut and try to find freezer space.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:11:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#19]
Originally Posted By Avidrook:
I was taking out the dead potato plants and I found this

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/295532/IMG_2155_JPG-2027716.JPG

I hope this isn't what I worked so hard for!
View Quote

A quarter?!   I wish I’d find some coins in the garden.  
I found a rebar stake with the rotor tiller on my kubota once.  
That was a mess getting it out.

I am getting green beans as of a week now i think - I have been planting Fortex pole beans for a few years.  I think they have good taste and texture. And they are pretty prolific producers with good weather.  

Zucchini terrible.  Never got around to starting my own seeds so bought a couple plants.  Have not done well

Tomato plants doing good so far, but nothing red yet.  I did get them started and transplanted a couple weeks later than usual

Peppers one hot pepper maybe a Hungarian so far.  No bell yet.  
Got my cabbage and broccoli/cauliflower in late and had to restart half of them.  Plants look good but no broccoli head yet.  Been spraying with bT - lots of cabbage moths around this year.

Cantaloupes and watermelon got in late.  
Same with cucumbers- these I didn’t start my own and bought plants.   Some haven’t done so well. have got a few so far

I need to till my spring peas under and finally try planting a fall
crop

Corn looks really good so far   But need some rain soon.  
I got my potatoes in late but they are looking OK. Hilled them again last night.  They need some rain too.  Have a few volunteers but they are right in with the first corn rows, those vines are drying up, but they will have to wait.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Cucumbers are really starting to hit, doing 4 quarts of pickles every couple days. Gonna try my first ear of corn in a day or two. Any tips for tomatoes in wind storms? I have the nice heavy duty cages but some of the tomatoes are so big they got bent up a little in a storm, supposed to be stormy again tonight.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#21]
So far we have 20 quarts of half runner beans canned, 10 quarts of tomatoes, and close to 10 quarts of zucchini relish canned.  

The tomatoes are really starting to hit now.  We picked close to 50 last night and will get more today.  Total, we probably have another 8 quarts to do this weekend.

We'll get our last run of beans off of these plants today.  Maybe another 5 quarts.  We may try to replant and see if we can get another round in before the first freeze.

That's on top of eating cucumbers and tomatoes at almost every meal.

My wife's green thumb is getting greener...
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Bout only thing left is a second planting of peas that is not ready. Tom's straggling in but pass their prime. Pole beans are peaking, but I have no freezer space left. Can probably squeeze in a few more. Peanuts will not be ready for a while. Starting to think about fall. It will be time to plant it soon. Carrots, daikon, Chinese cabbages,  broc/cabbage/cauliflower. Need it to dry up enough to turn in the weeds.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By crawej21:
Cucumbers are really starting to hit, doing 4 quarts of pickles every couple days. Gonna try my first ear of corn in a day or two. Any tips for tomatoes in wind storms? I have the nice heavy duty cages but some of the tomatoes are so big they got bent up a little in a storm, supposed to be stormy again tonight.
View Quote

After that happened to me I now drive a stake on two sides of my cages and tie it to the cage with wire in a couple places. I just use the 1x1 wooden garden stakes from Home Depot or walmart, they last me several years.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Dinner  

That's what I love about having a garden

What's for dinner?  Well let us see what we have in the garden

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Just had corn smut quesadillas out of the garden (huitlacoche) done up with sweet corn, mushrooms, Anaheim chilies, and onions with provolone cheese.  Not bad. May post some pics up in the cooking forum.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I sound like a broken record, but this is the sorriest garden I've ever had.  I'm chalking it up to poor soil amendments, several plants getting nipped by a late frost, poor weed control and lack of consistent H20... lots of room for improvement...  I pulled the corn up and fed the stalks to the calves.  Spindly maters, peppers, cucs and squash.  On the bright side, the zucs did pretty OK, but are going down hill.  The pumpkins and watermelons appear to be going gangbuster.  The biggest ones are almost volleyball sized.
Pathetic garden:
Attachment Attached File

Decent pumpkin coming in:
Attachment Attached File

Biggest of the 15 or so melons:
Attachment Attached File

Last nights "haul" with the first of the maters:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice, I will dig the last of mine tomorrow. They have been way more productive than I thought they would be.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Nice, I will dig the last of mine tomorrow. They have been way more productive than I thought they would be.
View Quote

When is the proper time to dig them up?

Can you tell by looking at the plant or is it a time thing?

Never done a potato's before. Older man in my church gave me a bunch of sprouts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#30]
You can start to dig them as "new potatoes" after they flower. To go to full maturity,wait until the plants die back.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Attachment Attached File

Getting about this many cukes every couple days.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#32]
You can start to dig them as "new potatoes" after they flower. To go to full maturity,wait until the plants die back.
View Quote

OK thanks. Mine hasnt flowered yet. They are growing and look nice.

Was gone on vaction for a week and had a friend tend the garden. He didnt weed as much as I do so its in shambles now but going to work it some more when I get off work.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I read that you wait until the plants die, then let the potatoes stay in the ground to harden

I'm going to dig mine in about 2 weeks

I want storage potatoes, not new potatoes

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

Was gone on vaction for a week and had a friend tend the garden. He didnt weed as much as I do so its in shambles now but going to work it some more when I get off work.
View Quote

Some plants will never flower. Why I don't know.  They still can tater.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Great thread, OP!

Here’s my humble contribution…

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Some plants will never flower. Why I don't know.  They still can tater.
View Quote

Ok.

Here is some pics from today. Still need to do some work.

Attachment Attached File

Potato’s
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 3:28:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Avidrook] [#37]
We've had a fairly productive day

This morning I picked butter beans, then shelled, blanched and packaged for the freezer.  I probably should have waited another week so there would be more speckles.

Two pounds of shelled beans equals 6 dinner size packs for the wife and I

Then I pulled up the BB plants and planted a fall crop of Bok Choy and did general garden maintenance

ETA: I also picked two large eggplant and 2 medium ones.  You know it's hard to give them away and we can eat only so much.  The wife came up with the idea of slicing and drying in the oven (she found this online) and when they cool she will bag and freeze.  According to the internet they are good for 8 months.  We'll see

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:21:35 AM EDT
[#39]
The wife unit canned some tomato juice tonight.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:46:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#40]
I made up a 2 qt jar of refrigerator dill pickles yesterday.  My first attempt.  My Dad always used to make them.   Have enough to do a couple more jars.

Will try to add a picture later, they look nice anyways.  Most of the jar I filled with smaller whole cucumbers and then filled up gaps with spears from ones I quartered.  A couple dried hot peppers (cherry and two others I don’t remember- maybe cayenne or serranos?)
Also a whole small head of garlic   Put in a couple small white onions too.  They didn’t last too long - tops died after I weeded but the weeds were thick

Pickle picture
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Picked my first sweet corn yesterday too.  Probably could’ve stood to be out for another day or two.  But it was good.  

Also got some more beans

Nothing else is ready yet.  Tomatoes will be at least another week before I get any red ones.  Seeing some broccoli heads forming up.  

Finally had a nice rain yesterday.  After at least two weeks of nothing.  So things should start moving again in my garden pretty good.  I did fertilize again Thursday evening when we were supposed to get rain, but only turned out to be a couple drops.

And the ground is still dry.  Needed a couple hours of rain.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Picked sweet corn too late.  It tastes horrible and is all thick and pasty.  Fail.  

Any recipes to make use of past-its-prime sweet corn or feed it to the chickens?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Had some new potatoes over the weekend, getting some cucumbers and tomatoes here and there. Looking like there will be a bunch ready later this week that aren’t ripe yet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#43]
We are in full production. Hit with some cabbage worms again and one tomato worm. Peas, cauliflower, broccoli and most cabbages are done here and I just planted for fall. My corn stand did not do well. Last year was pretty good.

Link Posted: 8/3/2021 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Pole beans, tomatoes, a few peas, and 5 spaghetti squash today. I am about done with the spring / summer garden and trying to figure out how to bushhog it.

Milo starting to flower. Peanuts are still flowering. Okra is starting to produce.The peanuts may not make it. There are only a few days on the calendar between when they should mature and first frost date. Half my pole Lima beans went down in the last storm

Bugs and disease are rampant. Going  to spray with sevin this evening
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Picked 44 pickling cucumbers this morning, been about that many every couple days. Tomatoes are gonna start hitting real soon. Been watering the sweet corn a bunch trying to get the kernels plumped up.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Picked my first crowder peas this week. Got 2 lbs. I put a bunch of rib meat in them from baby backs I smoked and had them for lunch today.

Just got through canning 5 more jars of sweet & spicy pickles.

I wonder how much heat 1 whole dried cayenne pepper dropped in a pint of pickles would give it. I wanted to try it but didn't feel like driving to the store.

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Help a fellow out?

Here is a picture of "something" on my Okra.  They/it is on the main stalk and leaf stalks.  They look like eggs to me.  I was able to easily wipe them off

This photo was after I sprayed with Malathion.  Before the plants were covered

Attachment Attached File

Any idea what kind of bug laid these eggs and if I did the right thing by spraying?

Link Posted: 8/5/2021 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By bc5000:
I wonder how much heat 1 whole dried cayenne pepper dropped in a pint of pickles would give it. I wanted to try it but didn't feel like driving to the store.
View Quote

My pickle recipe is already fairly heavy on crushed red pepper, so it's got a little bite anyhow.  When I add a single jalep, it borders on too hot for weinies.  In my experience, a cayenne has quite a bit more kick than a jalep, so depending on your other ingredients, I'm betting it has some kick.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 8:18:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Former11BRAVO] [#49]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

View Quote

I put 3-4" of mulch over my entire garden and it worked wonders, so far as weeding. I think I'll do it every year from here on.

Our 'maters aren't really ripening, though, but we're not suffering the blossom-end-rot we did last year (thank God!). Cukes are kinda small, too, but they did manage to collapse their trellace.

Getting tons of beans, though; easily filling a one+ gallon basket everyday for the last week or so.

Grrrr.... the GF left out all the pole and bush bean she harvested this morning and they're done - totally dried out!
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:

My pickle recipe is already fairly heavy on crushed red pepper, so it's got a little bite anyhow.  When I add a single jalep, it borders on too hot for weinies.  In my experience, a cayenne has quite a bit more kick than a jalep, so depending on your other ingredients, I'm betting it has some kick.
View Quote

My recipe also has crushed red pepper. I even added a little more to the batch yesterday. The cayenne pepper is way hotter on the heat scale than a jalapeno, I think I'll leave them out.

Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:

I put 3-4" of mulch over my entire garden and it worked wonders, so far as weeding. I think I'll do it every year from here on.

Our 'maters aren't really ripening, though, but we're not suffering the blossom-end-rot we did last year (thank God!). Cukes are kinda small, too, but they did manage to collapse their trellace.

Getting tons of beans, though; easily filling a one+ gallon basket everyday for the last week or so.

Grrrr.... the GF left out all the pole and bush bean she harvested this morning and they're done - totally dried out!
View Quote

My garden was getting overrun by weeds until I dumped about 4" of grass clippings on it.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top