Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

That's what I've been thinking.  If I need two types of grease...or like Foxtrot mentioned...a needle greaser (I do not remember when or what, but I do remember having to use one of these in my past for something, a long time ago) or some other specialty thing....it starts to add up.

View Quote

Is that the one for chainsaw blades?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

That's what I've been thinking.  If I need two types of grease...or like Foxtrot mentioned...a needle greaser (I do not remember when or what, but I do remember having to use one of these in my past for something, a long time ago) or some other specialty thing....it starts to add up.

No.

Needle grease heads are literally... a needle.  

Button heads look like a button.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

For reference, your NAPA guy is wrong.

https://locknlube.com/products/alemite-1054-s4-grease-gun-bundle

Made in the USA hand grease gun.  However, it is very expensive at, ~$150.

They are bomb proof still.

None the less, the battery powered is the way to fly in my opinion, if you're just starting out.  We retain hand grease guns in my shop for various specialty applications such as needle greasers, button head grease fittings, and different types of grease.
View All Quotes
Scroll past the story if you just want the link....it's in RED below.

I've been through three manual grease guns in two years.  

I thought I was stupid about grease guns.

Walked into Napa today and asked the guy who never lies to me, "I need a grease gun that isn't crap, and I need you to teach me what I'm doing wrong."

Him:  You're not doing anything wrong probably.  All the new grease guns are made in china and they are garbage.  You need a battery grease gun if you want a good one.

Me:  My dad used the same grease gun for 60 years or more.  I want that grease gun.

Him:  That grease gun isn't made any more.  If you want a good grease gun now, you have to get a battery gun.

Me:  Okay so how much will that cost?  I'm in the DeWalt battery system.

Him:  We have that.  *Looks up price for gun*    $229.00  (I had already looked this up, so knew I didn't have to pay that)

Me:  Hmmm...lemme think about that. Thank you for educating me and helping me understand I'm not an idiot who cannot make her grease gun actually work.

Him: You're not an idiot.  Your grease gun is no good.  Go down to BG Muffler and ask them if they will grease your spreader so you can fertilize your customer's lawn.

Me:  Thank you so much.  

*goes to regular car shop where they take care of our cars, asks for help...they grease my spreader.*

Me:  gets home later, goes online and buys this grease gun for $150.

Here's the Link:
Grease Gun

None the less, the battery powered is the way to fly in my opinion, if you're just starting out.  We retain hand grease guns in my shop for various specialty applications such as needle greasers, button head grease fittings, and different types of grease.

What are you greasing with the needle?  Are you getting past the rubber boots on sealed components?  

I see very mixed guidance on doing that...

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used both powered and manual guns.  The powered guns are really nice.  I am reluctant with them at times, because I have a tractor that you can feel the pressure/resistance rise as you pump grease into some of the fittings.  Specifically, it has a shaft under the front end with two grease fittings.  It is critical to grease it but it is sealed and you can feel the gun get harder to pump as you grease it.  I greased it with a manual gun a few weeks back and pumped it to the point it was hand tight or so...and I couldn't get the gun to disconnect from the fitting.  I had to loosen to tip on the hose and a tad of grease came out as if it were under pressure.  Think I put a bit too much...but it didn't leak an after I ran it a bit, it was fine.  That tactile feel of pressure building is something I can only get with a manual gun.  

I will say that it gets super old to try and grease several tractors with a manual gun....it takes forever and is super messy.  

I still use the manual gun on trailer wheel bearings, fittings that look sealed, and so on.  Hinges...powered all the way.  

I like the Mystic High Temp # 2...it really does seem to work well.  I need to find a really good marine grease though...been using the Mystic for everything.  My boat trailer took a serious beating this winter in deep mud, sitting submerged for hours, pulled down super rough roads, covered in salt for weeks...I just pumped more mystic in it over and over and it worked.  It's currently buried in snow.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FedDC:

What are you greasing with the needle?  Are you getting past the rubber boots on sealed components?  

View All Quotes
Scroll past the story if you just want the link....it's in RED below.

I've been through three manual grease guns in two years.  

I thought I was stupid about grease guns.

Walked into Napa today and asked the guy who never lies to me, "I need a grease gun that isn't crap, and I need you to teach me what I'm doing wrong."

Him:  You're not doing anything wrong probably.  All the new grease guns are made in china and they are garbage.  You need a battery grease gun if you want a good one.

Me:  My dad used the same grease gun for 60 years or more.  I want that grease gun.

Him:  That grease gun isn't made any more.  If you want a good grease gun now, you have to get a battery gun.

Me:  Okay so how much will that cost?  I'm in the DeWalt battery system.

Him:  We have that.  *Looks up price for gun*    $229.00  (I had already looked this up, so knew I didn't have to pay that)

Me:  Hmmm...lemme think about that. Thank you for educating me and helping me understand I'm not an idiot who cannot make her grease gun actually work.

Him: You're not an idiot.  Your grease gun is no good.  Go down to BG Muffler and ask them if they will grease your spreader so you can fertilize your customer's lawn.

Me:  Thank you so much.  

*goes to regular car shop where they take care of our cars, asks for help...they grease my spreader.*

Me:  gets home later, goes online and buys this grease gun for $150.

Here's the Link:
Grease Gun

Mostly?

A very hard to reach, very poorly engineered grease fitting on a small U joint on my 2305 Deere.

It’s between the engine mount on the drive shaft.  The U joint is too small to get a normal fitting on it.  So I put the needle greaser into the ball bearing and pump.

Works.

Otherwise I’ve used it now and again for small quantities of grease in places. Reassembling front hubs on an old ATV.  Getting grease in exact places on old equipment.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I have used both powered and manual guns.  The powered guns are really nice.  I am reluctant with them at times, because I have a tractor that you can feel the pressure/resistance rise as you pump grease into some of the fittings.  Specifically, it has a shaft under the front end with two grease fittings.  It is critical to grease it but it is sealed and you can feel the gun get harder to pump as you grease it.  I greased it with a manual gun a few weeks back and pumped it to the point it was hand tight or so...and I couldn't get the gun to disconnect from the fitting.  I had to loosen to tip on the hose and a tad of grease came out as if it were under pressure.  Think I put a bit too much...but it didn't leak an after I ran it a bit, it was fine.  That tactile feel of pressure building is something I can only get with a manual gun.  

I will say that it gets super old to try and grease several tractors with a manual gun....it takes forever and is super messy.  

I still use the manual gun on trailer wheel bearings, fittings that look sealed, and so on.  Hinges...powered all the way.  

I like the Mystic High Temp # 2...it really does seem to work well.  I need to find a really good marine grease though...been using the Mystic for everything.  My boat trailer took a serious beating this winter in deep mud, sitting submerged for hours, pulled down super rough roads, covered in salt for weeks...I just pumped more mystic in it over and over and it worked.  It's currently buried in snow.  

View Quote

Mystic marine grease is a calcium sulfonate grease. It will resist water wash out way better. And hold up significantly better between greasing.  It also won’t hold the amount of water lithium based greases do.

Lithium holds 1:1 water.

Calcium is .25 to 1.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:55:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SigOwner_P229] [#8]

Yeah but THOSE don't lock, right?  They attach to the lock n lube, but they don't actually lock.

Some engineer type needs to make one that locks.  
View All Quotes

Yeah but THOSE don't lock, right?  They attach to the lock n lube, but they don't actually lock.

Some engineer type needs to make one that locks.  

You may have missed it bc I posted 2 replies in a row. Due to its design the one I mentioned locks on. It has only 1 drawback I've found and that is due to the way it fits on the fitting the seal can't hold extreme pressures so if you have a fitting that is stuck and won't take grease it may not work but for normal flowing fittings it's amazing!

ETA, just screw a normal grease fitting into the female end of the adapter then when you need it clip it into the lock-n-lube then slide it on the fitting and pull back off when done, just as you would with a normal fitting.

Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:

The best 90-degree grease fitting I've found is this Lincoln made for really tight fits... because you still push it on straight in line with the hose it can truly be a lifesaver is really tight spots where you can't fit a hand to push one on from the side.

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Mystic marine grease is a calcium sulfonate grease. It will resist water wash out way better. And hold up significantly better between greasing.  It also won’t hold the amount of water lithium based greases do.

Calcium is .25 to 1.
View All Quotes

Calcium is .25 to 1.

As wrong as it is, I have an old flat bed trailer that has been there for years.  I used to use it to haul firewood and whatnot...dual axle, full sized tires.  It has the EZ Lube axles.  I had a tube of that gimmick green grease that doesn't actually have a rating but spends a lot of marketing.  I greased the heck out of the wheel bearings with it....followed the process on the website, jacked it up, pumped grease while spinning the tire until fresh grease came out...

That trailer got used to haul a tractor that was likely massively overweight for it...went probably 300 miles at highway speeds.  I used it for all kinds of mud/water hauling to get feed into pastures and whatnot.  I just checked the bearings a week ago and that grease must work, they are perfect.  I repeated the process....same tube of grease...old grease was black and a tad thinner but still there and still solid.  

I will say this about that grease....I have never seen anything harder to wash off my hands.  It was almost like it was glued to me.  I had to eventually grab handfuls of sand and try to rub it off as soap and hot water would not touch it.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Does the electric one ooze grease out like the cheap manual ones I'm used to?  (I'm beholden to the Milwaukee batteries though)  I either wrap my gun in plastic, or hang it over gravel.  Don't use it much, just my trailer and a couple fitting on my truck.

FYI, just ordered one of the locking adapters to use.  Actually threw out a few couplers recently that made me madder than anything.

I'd probably order the expensive manual one over a battery one due to not using it daily, and it just being simpler.  I mean, last time I had trouble with my grease gun not working, it turns out I forgot to check if I'd used up all the grease. It was not a short amount of time before I simply unscrewed the end.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#13]

I am embarrassed to say that I haven't used it yet.

I bought some grease.  Not what was recommended by Foxtrot cuz the place I went didn't have that, then the gun and the grease are somewhere in my truck cuz I got busy and have not taken the time to even install the grease.
View Quote

Story of my life, I've taken to holding off tool purchases until after I need them.  Otherwise I'd spend my whole paycheck!  Except my framing nailer.  Got that for a birthday present, and used it for several things before the project we knew it would be worthwhile for.  Or if my other half has a project she really wants done, she'll "make" me get what I need for it, and it'll sit in the TBD pile.

Some people may cringe, but I figure for total loss situations, any grease is good.  I worry more about changing it/add it on time.  If it's engine oil, I check the API donut, and if it's grease in a tube, I look for a familiar name brand.  I'm not using enough for a few bucks to matter, and the few things I use it on aren't real picky.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Recently joined the battery operated grease gun club. Have a new Skid Steer and mulcher being delivered next week, figure it will pay for itself quickly.

Used it last week for the first time. Had to change a hub out on boat trailer. Took about 30 second's to fill with grease (Half a tube). It was very nice.

Dewalt with an upgraded locking tip.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Did you get the locking tip mentioned here in this thread?
View Quote

Will look when I get home and take a pic....
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Me and an uncle farm together and both have Ridgid tools.  They recently came out with a grease gun, so we split on one.  I'm hoping to have an AAR here in a few days when we really get going on getting hay equipment ready.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:01:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NCUrk] [#19]

@NCUrk

Pounding the table..  

The tube of grease I had for my gun exploded in the back of the truck (yeah, cleaning that up was not fun) so I have STILL not loaded my grease gun.  

Just sayin.
View Quote

Old man moment... Forgot I said this...  Give me to the end of the day.

ETA:

Tip I have.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#20]

@NCUrk

Pounding the table..  

The tube of grease I had for my gun exploded in the back of the truck (yeah, cleaning that up was not fun) so I have STILL not loaded my grease gun.  

Just sayin.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NCUrk:

Will look when I get home and take a pic....

@NCUrk

Pounding the table..  

Just sayin.

I hate messy grease.  I ordered a tube of https://www.texasrefinery.com/products/greases/paragon-3000/ and it has stopped any dripping or leaking.  

I figure that I don't really use a lot of grease around the house...so it's not a big $$$ and it is worth it to not have to deal with issues.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2021 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#21]
My wife picked up a dewalt grease gun right after we bought our mini excavator about a month ago and it makes life much easier. I had to tighten one of the tracks on the mini and was thankful to have the dewalt.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:42:55 PM EDT
[#23]

OKay reading back through this and just had a visual of a CV "boot" when you mention the tractor axle seal.  

Is that axle seal a boot type seal?  

And is that the kind of seal that can get damaged?

If so, I know what those look like and could take care when approaching those.
View All Quotes

So 95% of the time no - grease is designed to be used in an open situation. Pins, bushings, open bearings.

Sometimes there will be grease able spots that are semi sealed. Front axles of tractors in some cases.  These will have a rubber seal with a “drip” basically. Over greasing that can cause damage to the seal.  So the way I do it on my tractor is just a quick pull of the trigger and done.

OKay reading back through this and just had a visual of a CV "boot" when you mention the tractor axle seal.  

Is that axle seal a boot type seal?  

And is that the kind of seal that can get damaged?

If so, I know what those look like and could take care when approaching those.

It can get damaged by over greasing and blowing the seal out.

So you basically just put a tiny bit of grease in there at a time.

Eventually the grease will slowly work its way out of the seal / the oil will drop out of the soap of the grease and work it’s way out.

Either way. Just a quick click of an electric grease gun. Or until you feel the pressure on a manual grease gun.

Then you’re good.  

Just a bit. Pushing a ton of grease in there will break the seal.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:06:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:21:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Okay so sounds like what I'm calling a "boot"....where it seals to the axle/hub/whatever on each end....that can rupture if I push too much grease.   Okey dokey...just a quick squeeze.  

View All Quotes

It can get damaged by over greasing and blowing the seal out.

So you basically just put a tiny bit of grease in there at a time.

Eventually the grease will slowly work its way out of the seal / the oil will drop out of the soap of the grease and work it’s way out.

Either way. Just a quick click of an electric grease gun. Or until you feel the pressure on a manual grease gun.

Then you’re good.  

Just a bit. Pushing a ton of grease in there will break the seal.

Okay so sounds like what I'm calling a "boot"....where it seals to the axle/hub/whatever on each end....that can rupture if I push too much grease.   Okey dokey...just a quick squeeze.  

An actual CV boot in today’s world really isn’t grease able. They’re sealed until broken. If the rubber on a cv boot gets tore (like the front drive shafts on a side by side or Atv) - replace it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:40:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Late to the party...

Thanks to all for the LocknLube recommendations, I’d never heard of them.  I will order one of them soon, no doubt.  My 1998 AM General HUMMER has 27 grease points on it, and a few of them are a pain to get done.  I picked up a cheapy electric grease gun years ago, which does the job. I’m quite surprised at how long I’ve gotten use out of it actually, going on 10+ years now.  

My father in law was a former wrench turner for a while, but he still has his own large equipment he takes care of. He just bought the Milwaukee 18v, saying that the guys in his shop at work prefer it over the Dewalt.  (He doesn’t work in the shop anymore, he just brings equipment to them now).

I’m pretty vested in the Dewalt line myself, but since he just got the M18 I’ll hold off on the Dewalt grease gun unless it ends up in my home as a gift. I do look forward to trying his M18 out though.

For grease recommenndations, I make sure it is NGLI #2.  I just grease a 4x4 vehicle though.  I usually get something from Lucas.  One is red (Red N Tacky?), and the other was green.  One time I bought Mobile 1, seemed to be fine as well.

But man, if you leave it in your grease gun after use they all seem to leak out and make a royal mess.  Am I supposed to take out the grease from the gun after use? (ie for storage since it will be 6-8 months before I use it again?)
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JustinOK34:
Late to the party...

Thanks to all for the LocknLube recommendations, I’d never heard of them.  I will order one of them soon, no doubt.  My 1998 AM General HUMMER has 27 grease points on it, and a few of them are a pain to get done.  I picked up a cheapy electric grease gun years ago, which does the job. I’m quite surprised at how long I’ve gotten use out of it actually, going on 10+ years now.  

My father in law was a former wrench turner for a while, but he still has his own large equipment he takes care of. He just bought the Milwaukee 18v, saying that the guys in his shop at work prefer it over the Dewalt.  (He doesn’t work in the shop anymore, he just brings equipment to them now).

I’m pretty vested in the Dewalt line myself, but since he just got the M18 I’ll hold off on the Dewalt grease gun unless it ends up in my home as a gift. I do look forward to trying his M18 out though.

For grease recommenndations, I make sure it is NGLI #2.  I just grease a 4x4 vehicle though.  I usually get something from Lucas.  One is red (Red N Tacky?), and the other was green.  One time I bought Mobile 1, seemed to be fine as well.

But man, if you leave it in your grease gun after use they all seem to leak out and make a royal mess.  Am I supposed to take out the grease from the gun after use? (ie for storage since it will be 6-8 months before I use it again?)
View Quote

Use a better grease and/or store it in a cooler environment.  

Lucas red and tacky is a cheap grease. Oil bleed out is a thing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Every grease I've used seems to melt out of the grease gun.  It's very annoying.  I don't have any climate controlled areas in my workshop, so my grease guns sit in the same 100 degree heat as everything else in there.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#32]
KwS,
a high-quality general-purpose grease, suitable for 99.9% of your greasing problems:
https://www.crcindustries.com/products/sta-plex-8482-extreme-pressure-premium-red-grease-14-wt-oz.html

note:
there are reasons that other types of greases exist.
generally there is some inherent advantage that outweighs the drawbacks.
think of grease as a "sponge" with oil held in it.
the sponge can be made out of a lot of different things.
and, the oil can be of many types as well (natural, synthetic, etc).
finally, solid additives can be mixed in for specific applications (e.g. moly).  

lithium complex NGLI #2 greases (commercial example above) are among the most versatile and most effective.
https://www.chemtool.com/Greases/Types-of-Greases/Lithium-Complex

but if your lubrication problem is special, seek something special.
an easy example is an aluminum complex grease -- nothing tops it for water washout resistance.
https://www.chemtool.com/Greases/Types-of-Greases/Aluminum-Complex
so why not just use an aluminum complex grease everywhere?  
because it's not great in high speed applications, such as motor bearings and such.  
and hence the tradeoffs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 57plymouth:
Every grease I've used seems to melt out of the grease gun.  It's very annoying.  I don't have any climate controlled areas in my workshop, so my grease guns sit in the same 100 degree heat as everything else in there.
View Quote

the lubrication industry terms for this are "separation" and "reversibility" and these have to do with the ability of the base (e.g. lithium complex) to "suck back in" the lubricating oil as the temperature drops.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28761/storing-grease-to-avoid-bleed-separation-
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

the lubrication industry terms for this are "separation" and "reversibility" and these have to do with the ability of the base (e.g. lithium complex) to "suck back in" the lubricating oil as the temperature drops.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28761/storing-grease-to-avoid-bleed-separation-
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

Hey you went into depth so I didn’t have to!

Thank you.

Quality of base oil, quality of soap, goes a long way in grease.

Lucas red and tacky, most auto parts store off the shelf brands will be pretty shitty. They’re just made with light base oils and cheap.  It is what it is.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:03:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FedDC] [#36]

So where do we get the better grease?

WE have to be able to walk into somewhere and buy it...you know...here in retail America.

Not trying to be snarky.  I go to where the good chemicals are.  I will go to where decent grease is too, if there is a reason to do so.

It just has to be....available.

View All Quotes

Thank you.

Lucas red and tacky, most auto parts store off the shelf brands will be pretty shitty. They’re just made with light base oils and cheap.  It is what it is.  

WE have to be able to walk into somewhere and buy it...you know...here in retail America.

Not trying to be snarky.  I go to where the good chemicals are.  I will go to where decent grease is too, if there is a reason to do so.

Serious answer…I order it about once a year.  There is nowhere near me that carries anything beyond what you get at auto zone or wal mart.

If you want top shelf, you likely have to order it.  

I just bit the bullet and got all the lubes I needed for the year in one swoop from Mystik.  Marine 4 stroke oil, lower unit gear lube, 2 stroke oil, grease…all in one order.  Showed up perfect and I got exactly what I wanted for each application.  

Beyond that, I went to a boat dealer and got a tube of high temp boat trailer wheel bearing grease to do my boats and trailers.  It is an AL complex red grease from Evinrude.  Seems to work well as i temp check the hubs and whatnot regularly while towing.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:14:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#37]

View All Quotes

Thank you.

Local oil and fuel distributor.

Local industrial supply facilities.

Online.

Mystik JT6 HT #2 is available widely, however at a number of country stores. It's the number one quality wise, mass distributed grease.

I've interviewed truck drivers and talked to people that are like "Oh I pass by your office twice a day for the last 20 year, never knew you were there!"

Mind you it's a 50,000 SQFT facility, with 128 tanks outside of it... With ANOTHER 20,000 square foot facility down the road... With a THIRD 10,000 square foot facility with truck parking... And only about 50 trucks running out of this one.

You probably have a oil and fuel distributor you pass all the time and never know it.

I'm so sorry.  Edited instead of quoted.  I just took my edit out, but...Apologies...
~Kitties
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:37:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#39]
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 8:02:54 AM EDT
[#40]
The local branch farm and home stores in my area and called Orcheln's.  I was in my local one last week and they had the Mystik that foxtrot spec'ed out, so I grabbed several tubes of it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#41]

I may indeed.

Key Oil Company has two facilities within ten miles of me either way.

I wonder if they have it.

Somebody in Glasgow is set up to serve particularly ag needs.  They might have it.

Maybe my small equipment company (ag equipment dealer) has it.

You have just shifted my thinking from *AdvanceAutomotiveOReilly'sNapa*

Thank you!

I now have a mission to call around and find this grease, or use google to see where it is near me.

ETA:  You know....I've lived where I live for a long time.   And I STILL drive by places and say, "WTF?  I never saw that before."

It's apparently a human thing.  And *I* look around a lot.

When we're kids, we see more.  When we're adults, we miss more, cuz we see what's in our heads, worrying us... I think.
View All Quotes

Online.

Mystik JT6 HT #2 is available widely, however at a number of country stores. It's the number one quality wise, mass distributed grease.

I've interviewed truck drivers and talked to people that are like "Oh I pass by your office twice a day for the last 20 year, never knew you were there!"

Mind you it's a 50,000 SQFT facility, with 128 tanks outside of it... With ANOTHER 20,000 square foot facility down the road... With a THIRD 10,000 square foot facility with truck parking... And only about 50 trucks running out of this one.

You probably have a oil and fuel distributor you pass all the time and never know it.

I may indeed.

Key Oil Company has two facilities within ten miles of me either way.

I wonder if they have it.

Somebody in Glasgow is set up to serve particularly ag needs.  They might have it.

Maybe my small equipment company (ag equipment dealer) has it.

You have just shifted my thinking from *AdvanceAutomotiveOReilly'sNapa*

Thank you!

I now have a mission to call around and find this grease, or use google to see where it is near me.

ETA:  You know....I've lived where I live for a long time.   And I STILL drive by places and say, "WTF?  I never saw that before."

It's apparently a human thing.  And *I* look around a lot.

When we're kids, we see more.  When we're adults, we miss more, cuz we see what's in our heads, worrying us... I think.

Key Oil Company is a Mobil lubricants distributor.

So they’ll absolutely have some top end Greases.  They won’t have Mystik JT6.

The Mobil Delvac xtreme grease gets pretty close.  Still a little lighter of a base oil - iso 320 vs 600.

The Mobil 222 has some moly in it if you’re using it in heavy equipment.  But it’s only a iso 220 base oil.

For reference, Lucas Red and Tacky is an ISO 150 base oil. Part of the reason why it bleeds out so much. Cheaper greases can be the same, if not lighter.  Lucas red and tacky is a cheap grease. If you grease a lot, it’s fine. It’s designed to just be a cheaply made product. Which is okay.

Mobil’s real bread and butter is the SHC series Grease’s. Which, SHC just stands for synthetic hydro carbon. So synthetic greases.  Mostly over kill for almost all regular applications. If you were regularly operating in negative temps, I’d say yeah.  Use a full synthetic.  

Otherwise, as I said - all my trucks and all my equipment get the P66 version of Mystik JT6 HT. It’s really worked for us.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#42]

Online.

I'm so sorry.  Edited instead of quoted.  I just took my edit out, but...Apologies...
~Kitties
View Quote

I see that the Mystik you referenced is available at Northern Tool without mail ordering.

Would this grease be a good selection to use on the FEL on my tractor as a grease that won't potentially bleed out of my grease gun when it's stored?
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#43]

I see that the Mystik you referenced is available at Northern Tool without mail ordering.

Would this grease be a good selection to use on the FEL on my tractor as a grease that won't potentially bleed out of my grease gun when it's stored?
View All Quotes

Online.

~Kitties

Yep.  It would be fantastic for a FEL.

As for bleeding out. It will be less than a lighter base oil grease. But severe temperatures swings will make anything bleed out.  But it will be better than cheap Lucas grease or no name grease.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#45]

Okay so.....serious question (and thank you for this answer.  If I have to order, fine, but at first I'll be ordering very small quantities cuz...I dunno how much I need, with this new gun, yaknow?)  

Anyway.. so if high-temp boat trailer wheel bearing grease is good, why is that not the same grease to lube ANY trailer?  Oh wait...is it because the boat trailer also gets dumped in water when you launch and load?  

So this is a grease than can be in water, but also manage long road trips?

BTW...THANK YOU ALL....THIS IS TURNING INTO THE MOST AWESOME THREAD EVER ABOUT GREASE!!!!
View All Quotes

Serious answer…I order it about once a year.  There is nowhere near me that carries anything beyond what you get at auto zone or wal mart.

If you want top shelf, you likely have to order it.  

I just bit the bullet and got all the lubes I needed for the year in one swoop from Mystik.  Marine 4 stroke oil, lower unit gear lube, 2 stroke oil, grease…all in one order.  Showed up perfect and I got exactly what I wanted for each application.  

Beyond that, I went to a boat dealer and got a tube of high temp boat trailer wheel bearing grease to do my boats and trailers.  It is an AL complex red grease from Evinrude.  Seems to work well as i temp check the hubs and whatnot regularly while towing.  

Okay so.....serious question (and thank you for this answer.  If I have to order, fine, but at first I'll be ordering very small quantities cuz...I dunno how much I need, with this new gun, yaknow?)  

Anyway.. so if high-temp boat trailer wheel bearing grease is good, why is that not the same grease to lube ANY trailer?  Oh wait...is it because the boat trailer also gets dumped in water when you launch and load?  

So this is a grease than can be in water, but also manage long road trips?

BTW...THANK YOU ALL....THIS IS TURNING INTO THE MOST AWESOME THREAD EVER ABOUT GREASE!!!!

This is just my perspective…and there are people in here far more knowledgeable than me-

I don’t want multiple grease guns.  I prefer one grease for everything I use from boats, trailers, cars, tractor, and so on.  

I don’t care about the cost of the grease as I only use 2-3 tubes a year and a bearing failure is a disaster in the places I go.  

I am around salt water regularly and run some vehicles through deep water for an hour or more at a time while duck hunting.  

So, I chose an Aluminium Complex grease for its water/salt protection and went with an extreme pressure/high temp version to cover my bases on wheel bearings.  I needed a clean grease with no molly for bearings.  I found the Evinrude wheel bearing grease and it fit the bill.  

Having said that, I still ended up with 2 grease guns because I wanted a 5% moly grease for my tractor…so I found an Aluminium complex grease with moly from Schaefer that seems to work well.  

On a side note, I used red mystic high temp #2 wheel bearing grease all last year and it worked perfectly with zero issues.  I replaced that tube with the gold tube full synthetic mystic that’s blue.  It’s a lithium grease but I see zero issues with it.  It’s at a vacation house that we go to and the caretaker uses it on everything from tractors to riding mowers to outboards with no issues.  

I would run mystic without hesitation if I couldn’t get an AL complex grease.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#46]
This is a timely thread. I need to grease some trailer hub bearings and some leaf spring bushings, and will be purchasing some Mystic JT6 shortly. I had planned to get one the supposedly decent-quality $30-50 manual grease guns but after reading reviews and this thread, looks like I’m buying the M12 battery-powered one soon.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:20:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cpn_Ron] [#48]
FINALLY found it.

Fleetpride--a truck and trailer parts place.

Even Tractor Supply, which is listed on the Mystik website as a retailer, has switched to valvoline and something else...Imperial or something the girl said.

View Quote

Thanks for the leg work. @Foxtrot8 will love this based on an earlier post, but there are a couple FleetPride locations I’ve driven within a block’s distance for years and never knew it. I’ll stop in this week to grab some rather than that river website.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:49:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#49]
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:57:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top