BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ok first things first, you are going to have to lose the SMV placard (reflective triangle).  

double check the front axle fluid level after a few hours of operation, for whatever reason it tends to "settle" a bit after the dealer fill.
note the "trick" above using the FEL to pull the MMM deck off, it makes it a lot easier to slide it out from under the tractor.
that said, you can leave the MMM on for 99% of what you are doing -- it comes up high enough that it (typically) isn't in the way.

ar-jedi

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/18250-1/DSCN0911.JPG
View Quote

No worries there... The dealer didn't use Nylock nuts and I lost one of them within the first two hours of running.  It's sitting on top of my tool box right now (note it's missing from the last picture...).  Thanks for the tip on checking fluids.  I didn't get around to removing the deck but I will this weekend.  Not a big deal anyways with where I'm currently working in the driveway.  It's been 2 years since I ran the backhoe on the rented machine we used to dig my FIL's small pond...but I picked it up again quickly.  I'm glad I went with the backhoe.  I'll use the shit out of it from what I have on my to-do list right now.  The ROI will take a bit but I believe it will be worth the investment.)
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#2]

so I’m going to do a dry stacked boulder/stone wall. Highest height will be about 3’ tall against the garage and then about 2’ as it tapers off around the driveway towards a light pole.
View Quote

some ideas...

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@diggerwolf

I plan on tying the end of the wall in with the corner of the garage.  There’s a dip there now that I’ll backfill with the extra dirt (cinderblock level right of the boom in the second picture). I’m blessed and cursed with a stone and boulder filled property (first picture...tree line ), so I’m going to do a dry stacked boulder/stone wall. Highest height will be about 3’ tall against the garage and then about 2’ as it tapers off around the driveway towards a light pole. Plan is to dig out a foot or so past the planned wall location. Then dig a foot deep trench and install a French drain. Once installed, I’ll level the ground and then tamp down the foundation area.  Before the first layer I’ll lay landscaping fabric (not plastic) and the excess will go against the uphill slope. First layer will go down with the largest and flattest stones. Shim them as necessary and place packing around and behind those. Then add the second layer...shimming and packing again. The pull the fabric back over the first two layers and backfill with dirt. Fold the fabric back over the uphill slope out of the way and repeat for the next two levels. I plan on maintaining a 1:6” batter. One inch in for every 6” of elevation. I’ll cap it with some nice looking flat stones and masonry cement. The remainder of the landscape fabric gets left folded over towards the uphill slope and buried about 8-10” under the top level of dirt. Still unsure if I’ll plant grass up to the wall or do mulch and flowers or something. The deer will probably destroy them if I do so it’s a toss up right now but that’s a spring problem.

Today’s after work process... I know many suggested getting a larger tractor, but even with the rocky terrain the 23S will serve me well.  It may take a bit longer but it's quite capable.  I like the newer placement of loader control versus the higher and further forward lever on older models like my father in law has.

View Quote

First, are you not worried about runoff/erosion getting concentrated toward the side of the garage?

Second, I'd subscribe to a build/progress thread if you were so inclined...
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 2:40:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No worries there... The dealer didn't use Nylock nuts and I lost one of them within the first two hours of running.  It's sitting on top of my tool box right now (note it's missing from the last picture...).  Thanks for the tip on checking fluids.  I didn't get around to removing the deck but I will this weekend.  Not a big deal anyways with where I'm currently working in the driveway.  It's been 2 years since I ran the backhoe on the rented machine we used to dig my FIL's small pond...but I picked it up again quickly.  I'm glad I went with the backhoe.  I'll use the shit out of it from what I have on my to-do list right now.  The ROI will take a bit but I believe it will be worth the investment.)
View Quote

The same thing happened to my smv placard.

My front axle took a full qt to hit the spot on the dipstick.

Also check your zerks, I had a few that were painted over.

Buy a filter wrench before your 50 hr service the filters are gorilla tight.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The same thing happened to my smv placard.

My front axle took a full qt to hit the spot on the dipstick.

Also check your zerks, I had a few that were painted over.

View Quote

How many hours did you wait to let the front axle settle?  I have about 6.5 on it so far. Been busy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How many hours did you wait to let the front axle settle?  I have about 6.5 on it so far. Been busy.
View Quote

They add up quick.

I hit 50 hrs in about a month, read about it on OTT/TBN but forgot to check until I did my 50 hr service.

Also good practice to exercise the bucket QD pins after your 10 hr greasings.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

just a couple of hours should do it.
it takes 30 seconds and a paper towel to check both the front and rear.

also, you may want to order a couple of filter kits from messicks.  
air filter replacement interval will depend on your environment, e.g. how dusty your work area is.

https://messicks.com/wiki/kubota/bx23s
https://www.messicks.com/part/77700-03362/kubota-bx-series-filter-kit-model-variation

check your part numbers.
messicks is gtg btw.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

get the kind on the left, not the kind on the right.  

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top