Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]

I made the mistake of opening this thread.

I am 5 days from closing on property north of you that has been built on, but has a ton of deferred maintenance. By a ton, I mean years worth of being ignored and abused.

It won't be homesteading, but the challenge of cleaning up someone else's mess and deciding what to repair and what to scrap. I've always been a duct tape and baling wire guy, but in this case, I may have to become a better decision maker.

Do you do home visits with your sawmill?

The final issue popped up today, and it is a possible deal killer, but we are working to make it go away for the lender.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TimJ:
Good luck! And consider your own thread!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sneadhearn:

I am 5 days from closing on property north of you that has been built on, but has a ton of deferred maintenance. By a ton, I mean years worth of being ignored and abused.

The final issue popped up today, and it is a possible deal killer, but we are working to make it go away for the lender.

Well damn, the seller just agreed to mitigate the issue. Holy crap I'm moving to Idaho.

A thread may be in order. The place is great but has some oddities for sure. 12 acres of mature cedar, a spring fed pond and a creek are something I never thought I'd own.

No doubt I'll cry a few times before its all over!
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Well damn, the seller just agreed to mitigate the issue. Holy crap I'm moving to Idaho.

A thread may be in order. The place is great but has some oddities for sure. 12 acres of mature cedar, a spring fed pond and a creek are something I never thought I'd own.

View All Quotes

Congratulations!!! Although, at this time my mill is stationary, I may put it on a trailer in the future. Your property sounds great and I look forward to your impending thread!!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Davidrw5150:

Congratulations!!! Although, at this time my mill is stationary, I may put it on a trailer in the future. Your property sounds great and I look forward to your impending thread!!!
View Quote

We'll have to negotiate. I've got 14 actual unfired rounds of .22LR to trade!  

I'll be clearing a bunch of cedar trees, and as luck would have it, I need a bunch of cedar lumber.

You've done a great job of documenting your work. I'm impressed. I'm older than you, but I'm stubborn, so I've got that going for me.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#6]

We'll have to negotiate. I've got 14 actual unfired rounds of .22LR to trade!  

I'll be clearing a bunch of cedar trees, and as luck would have it, I need a bunch of cedar lumber.

You've done a great job of documenting your work. I'm impressed. I'm older than you, but I'm stubborn, so I've got that going for me.

View Quote

14 rounds? Unfired? Are you crazy? That’s like winning the lottery!!!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#8]

14 rounds? Unfired? Are you crazy? That’s like winning the lottery!!!!
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcz6Upapqtg
View Quote

Lol, I'm rich, apparently.

That milling video is great.

Working is tough when dog wants to play
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Ask any questions.  Lot to read through and much is repetitive. Someday (In my dreams) I will do an index. Don't know when or if I will ever get to that.
View Quote

I have been doing a lot of research on the horizontal style hives. I have some plans and hopefully will have time to build a couple next spring/summer....
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:37:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Love the thread and videos, please keep it up. I make sure to like them as I watch.

Any details on the tractor? Last video said it would be down for a while. Sorry to hear that!
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Yes please do a thread!  And congratulations!  
View All Quotes

aaannnndd..

We closed today. The deed has been recorded. I am now an Idaho homeowner. I lived in Idaho in the 1990's. I was a fishing and upland bird guide in the Frank Church Wilderness. I've been trying to figure out how to get back ever since.

I am driving to the place tomorrow, I'll spend the first night there tomorrow night.

I won't be able to move in full time for a month or more, but looking forward to it.

The place was built well in the 1980's, but it has some seriously deferred maintenance. Most of the stuff is "wants" (wife), there are really only three NEEDS.

1) The roof
2) Fire mitigation
3) The water supply

Everything else can wait, but if my wife has her way (she will) a lot of what I think of as "frills" will be done sooner than later.

I'll commence with photos and have a spin off thread.

Thanks for the inspiration,    @Davidrw5150

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:24:47 AM EDT
[#15]

aaannnndd..

We closed today. The deed has been recorded. I am now an Idaho homeowner. I lived in Idaho in the 1990's. I was a fishing and upland bird guide in the Frank Church Wilderness. I've been trying to figure out how to get back ever since.

I am driving to the place tomorrow, I'll spend the first night there tomorrow night.

I won't be able to move in full time for a month or more, but looking forward to it.

The place was built well in the 1980's, but it has some seriously deferred maintenance. Most of the stuff is "wants" (wife), there are really only three NEEDS.

1) The roof
2) Fire mitigation
3) The water supply

Everything else can wait, but if my wife has her way (she will) a lot of what I think of as "frills" will be done sooner than later.

View Quote

OUTSTANDING! I look forward to seeing your journey!!!  We will have to get together sometime after you are settled in a bit!

Welcome Back!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:11:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pcsutton] [#16]

aaannnndd..

1) The roof
2) Fire mitigation
3) The water supply

View Quote
Congrats on the new digs! What part of the state will you be in?

I used to guide in the Church too. North side of the crick.

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:35:12 AM EDT
[#17]

aaannnndd..

1) The roof
2) Fire mitigation
3) The water supply

View All Quotes

aaannnndd..

1) The roof
2) Fire mitigation
3) The water supply

Well, you’ll make inhabitable, and she’ll make it a home Congrats!
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#18]

I am on the property.

I dropped then ran over my phone when I was unloading (sometimes, stupid should hurt)

The seller left the Hughes Sat Internet on - it's paid through the end of the month.

It is slow, but works. I can't post a pic since I killed the phone. Doh!

It is totally silent and totally dark.

I love it.

I will add, however that I nearly pissed myself as the sun was setting. I was walking around a little bit (in the silence, totally alone) and a turkey was apparently stalking me and decide to scream at the top of his lungs at me.

Holy hell I jumped straight up in the air - totally NOT expecting that.

I then laughed it off but that definitely woke me up.

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I will add, however that I nearly pissed myself as the sun was setting. I was walking around a little bit (in the silence, totally alone) and a turkey was apparently stalking me and decide to scream at the top of his lungs at me.

View Quote

I've been startled so many times while out hiking by quail shooting out in the direction away from the trail as I approach that nothing short of a gunshot will startle me now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:30:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By lew:

I've been startled so many times while out hiking by quail shooting out in the direction away from the trail as I approach that nothing short of a gunshot will startle me now.
View All Quotes

I can relate as well.....on Halloween, of all nights, I was in the cabin and Grizz was acting up a bit right as I was getting ready to go to bed......I heard footsteps right outside my front door and though "who the heck would be Trick R Treating way the hell out here!" I opened the front door and a buck was standing on the front porch......He shit, I shit, the dog shit........it was a mess....LOL!
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#21]

I can relate as well.....on Halloween, of all nights, I was in the cabin and Grizz was acting up a bit right as I was getting ready to go to bed......I heard footsteps right outside my front door and though "who the heck would be Trick R Treating way the hell out here!" I opened the front door and a buck was standing on the front porch......He shit, I shit, the dog shit........it was a mess....LOL!
View All Quotes

Yeah, but did the buck get the candy?

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Yeah, but did the buck get the candy?

View Quote

Tootsie Rolls

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:24:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#23]
I spent the day working on the ceilings in the cabin.  I picked up som 1x12x16 rough sawn DF from work and installed them under the loft. The trim will be in the same Doug Fir boards down the road.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I also was able to get the fasciae trim on the front of the loft as well.....

Attachment Attached File

I am gonna build a small closet around the solar system and the electric box that will be going in as well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:19:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#24]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:24:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#26]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#27]
[b]Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:[/

How'd you do the cutouts for the lights?

View Quote

I used a hole saw.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Spent the afternoon priming the walls is the cabin.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I am going to build a small wall around the solar system that can be easily removed/accessed when needed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Let there be light. That should make it a but brighter.  Im going through  a discussion of light with my wife right now. She wants more light bulbs. I want more light surfaces.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#31]
That Douglas Fir looks really good as do the lights you've put in. I have a few questions below if you want to answer and completely understand if you don't.

1. Grizz is growing up fast. What the heck do you feed this guy? gotta be miracle grow.
2. When I lived in ID, i drove from Coeur D'Alene to Moscow, ID down 95 every day. Worley and Plummer were the big towns on that route and had to drive through the CDA Indian res every day. How are things with the native americans these days? It was always depressing to drive through the res.
3. How is work up there? I think you said you do deliveries for a lumber mill? What's that like?
4. Do you plan for this to be a live in bug out location and if so, do you think you need to add in any mods specific to a retreat?
5. Do you ever go into town and just have a beer and socialize with the locals? How important is knowing the people in the area to you and how do you find the social life there?

Thank you for the videos and for this thread. Truly the greatest thread going on ARF at this time. Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By writerdeluxe2006:
That Douglas Fir looks really good as do the lights you've put in. I have a few questions below if you want to answer and completely understand if you don't.

1. Grizz is growing up fast. What the heck do you feed this guy? gotta be miracle grow.
2. When I lived in ID, i drove from Coeur D'Alene to Moscow, ID down 95 every day. Worley and Plummer were the big towns on that route and had to drive through the CDA Indian res every day. How are things with the native americans these days? It was always depressing to drive through the res.
3. How is work up there? I think you said you do deliveries for a lumber mill? What's that like?
4. Do you plan for this to be a live in bug out location and if so, do you think you need to add in any mods specific to a retreat?
5. Do you ever go into town and just have a beer and socialize with the locals? How important is knowing the people in the area to you and how do you find the social life there?

Thank you for the videos and for this thread. Truly the greatest thread going on ARF at this time. Much appreciated!
View Quote

1. I keep a bowl of Call of the wild dry food for him, plus he usually gets  couple eggs a day ( as I am covered up with duck and chicken eggs) He will usually get a very small portion of whatever I make myself for dinner.....
2. I live in the general area, although I only pass through Plummer..... I honestly can’t tell that I am on the reservation as they are building up a lot of things in Worley and Plummer.
3. The job is good. It gets me to town a couple days a week and and that is where I make most of my local contacts.
4.Let’s just say that I have no plans to go anywhere else, for any reason.
5. See 3.

And thanks for taking the time to follow the thread. I greatly appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:03:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#33]
I was able to rough in the solar closet this morning. I built it in such a way the I have to remove 5 screws and can move the entire wall out of the way if needed.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:00:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#35]
That solar setup looks handier than a shirt pocket. Can you tell us a little about it? If you already have, simply ignore and I'll find it in the thread. Thank you and have a fantastic Christmas there with Grizz!
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By writerdeluxe2006:
That solar setup looks handier than a shirt pocket. Can you tell us a little about it? If you already have, simply ignore and I'll find it in the thread. Thank you and have a fantastic Christmas there with Grizz!
View Quote

This is the original system that I bought....
Solar setup

Then I added three more 100 watt panels
Solar panels

Then just last week I upgraded my inverter to this....
Inverter

It is a budget system but since I am not running any appliances it does cover all my needs and right now I get about 3 days worth of usage ( approx 20 hrs) without needing sun...
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Nothing too exciting but I got a strand of LED lights to add some light to the cabin......

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I will be getting a longer strand to go around the front of the cabin.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Nothing too exciting but I got a strand of LED lights to add some light to the cabin......

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384426/02933F11-89F0-40AC-A1EE-B8D00CFEA27E_jpe-1743317.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384426/869E847E-E7D3-4CDE-91CE-26352F3569FD_jpe-1743318.JPG

I will be getting a longer strand to go around the front of the cabin.
View Quote

And we make fun of people who leave Xmas lights up all year.......

I put 2 strands up by the ceiling on the porch at the “farm” (that’s what we call it).
A regular bulb attracted too many bugs.

Can I read by it?
No

Can I see?
Yes.

For your solar set up I’d think those are gonna be perfect.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#39]
This is the original system that I bought....
Solar setup

Then I added three more 100 watt panels
Solar panels

Then just last week I upgraded my inverter to this....
Inverter

It is a budget system but since I am not running any appliances it does cover all my needs and right now I get about 3 days worth of usage ( approx 20 hrs) without needing sun...
View Quote

Your inverter link works, but the others just go to your orders page.  I think I've extracted the right links:
Amazon kit link
Amazon 100w panels link
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

Your inverter link works, but the others just go to your orders page.  I think I've extracted the right links:
Amazon kit link
Amazon 100w panels link
View Quote

Yep, those are the items!
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:33:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#41]
Did some more work in the cabin today. Almost finished with the shiplap! Finished the front wall and the kitchen area this afternoon/evening.....

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I reinstalled my scrap shelves ( temporarily) and also rough in the lights.
Attachment Attached File

I have one short wall and the rest of the bathroom to finish with the shiplap, then I will knockout the remaining metal siding soon as well.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 1:22:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Oh yeah.....

A gratuitous ‘Grizz’ shot!!

He says ‘Hey!’ To everyone!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 1:24:20 AM EDT
[#43]
He's grown so big and fluffy! I hope you got him a special Christmas treat or present from Santa!
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 2:02:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Oh yeah.....

A gratuitous 'Grizz' shot!!

He says 'Hey!' To everyone!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384426/FBE924DC-A62C-4FF4-AD4A-1724D615F4CB_jpe-1747329.JPG
View Quote

I seriously believe he may be my dog reincarnate. He's the right age and has Dooner's eyes.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/25/2020 4:45:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Oh yeah.....

A gratuitous 'Grizz' shot!!

He says 'Hey!' To everyone!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384426/FBE924DC-A62C-4FF4-AD4A-1724D615F4CB_jpe-1747329.JPG
View Quote
Merry Christmas to you and Grizz
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Merry Christmas OP and Grizz!!  
Really enjoy your videos and posts here!
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Merry Christmas to everyone from Grizz and I!
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top