Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2017 7:55:41 AM EDT
Lets do a thread on poultry setups and flocks. Maybe give ideas to people just getting started.
my pics incoming when i get home
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Current laying hen setup is 50'x50' split down the middle rotated spring, and fall when switching from spring garden to fall garden.
My 4'x8' elevated coop is in the middle with a door on each side, and 6 nest boxes for my 13 hens.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56812/chickens_PNG-336707.png
View Quote
I like the way you have yours setup. In a good two years I should be raising chickens. 4 to 6 laying hens is my plan.
My idea is a central fixed covered coop area with a small covered run. It would be as predator proof as I can get(concrete squares covering floor, 1/4 mesh 2 feet high all around, solid roof, etc)
I will then make a run with I can attach to the sides of the permanent run. Rotate every couple of months.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Well,

I raise over 2 dozen layers, and up to 100 meat birds every year.

The "big" coop is a converted hay rack, with another smaller coop I'm retiring in favor of a much larger coop I will build next year.

I let them all free range this year. Had about a 50% loss of all birds (about half from predators, half were meat hens that the meat roosters raped until they killed them). Also slashed my feed bill letting them forage. 
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Im finishing my coop now, really on the fence about making a big run. Neighbor free ranges his , not sure if hes had losses
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the city with 4 hens in this coop.  Whenever I'm home they roam the yard (completely fenced in).

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top