Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2017 2:58:26 PM EDT
I have a few questions about propane. Specifically the 20# bottles (typical white BBQ grill bottle) and 1# bottle (green Coleman type).

1. What is the head pressure at room temperature?

2. What do typical regulators drop the pressure down to?

3. Is there a standard pressure that grills/stoves use?

4. In regards to the 20# bottles, is there a difference between connecting a line that screws to the outside of the bottle fitting versus one that screws into the fitting?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a few questions about propane. Specifically the 20# bottles (typical white BBQ grill bottle) and 1# bottle (green Coleman type).

1. What is the head pressure at room temperature?
At 60 degrees F it is 90 PSI, source: this chart

2. What do typical regulators drop the pressure down to?
I've seen 5psi and 11" water depending on the BTU needs, I think 11" w.c. is more common

3. Is there a standard pressure that grills/stoves use?
11" w.c. for the grill I have and others I've seen. I think its probably more like weed burners and possibly turkey fryers that would use more in the 5psi range

4. In regards to the 20# bottles, is there a difference between connecting a line that screws to the outside of the bottle fitting versus one that screws into the fitting?
In effectiveness, no. The internal threads are left hand threaded and have a lot more turns because the thread is finer. THe outside acme threads are very coarse so it only takes a little bit of turning to get it to tighten. Also, usually the outside ones have the plastic handle so its much easier to get a tight connection.
Thanks in advance!
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP if I might ask, what project are you working on?

Oh and welcome to Homestead and Garden!

View Quote
Thanks. Spudgunr  certainly answered my questions! I had been given a few Coleman propane stoves that were in pretty bad shape and missing the regulators. I had cleaned them up in hopes of coming across the regulators. In the mean time I have a metal scrapper friend that usually comes across old BBQ grills. He said he cuts the hose and regulators off while sorting the metals. It sounds like, from this new found knowledge, I should be able to use the regulators from the BBQ grills on the stoves. I know they make replacement regulators, but this isn't something I want to put any money into at this time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:37:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top