Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2017 1:51:07 PM EDT
I have been doing some research on adding wheel spacers to my BX. I don't use a mid mount mower, so that isn't a concern. Is it a good option to increase stability while using FEL? If so, where did you get yours and what size did you go with? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I will start by saying that I haven' researched any of this, it's only my educated opinion.

Wheel spacers increase axle stresses (for rear axles) and bearing/pivot stress (for front wheels). The physics involved say that the stress is increased somewhat proportionally to stability. While I certainly agree that they are ridiculously unstable with a FEL, adding spacers small enough to not cause major over-stress of the axles will not help stability by a measurable amount.

Just my opinion. Any engineer worth his weight should be able to run the simple statics numbers for you.

FWIW, I don't own a BX, but my dad has one he has left at my place for the last 4 months. I nearly tipped it on a grade no more than 10% with a bucket full of stone no higher than the grill; and that was with a weighted box-grader on the back for counter-balance (should help lock the rear wheels to the ground better).
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I have considered many times spacing out the wheels on my Bx's, but I have not done it. Stress on axles, mid mount mower in the way all lead to me just not doing it.
7 days a week i mow with the BX and every section has some steep side hills I have to mow. I just shift my ass over to the high side and so far so good.
This BX I got in the spring I ordered with the overhead canopy and it is more tipsy then the BX I traded in. The old one I had loaded the front tires with foam and that did help some.
I dont load the back tires because I dont want to add that much weight to the machine for mowing Tee boxes that I dont want to compact.
I would half load the rear tires with liquid if it were not for that and I would put on 1" wheel spacers if I could, maybe 2".

Are you getting the load of rocks moved with it ok? I assume it is a little scary for ya or you would not be asking.
I dont think 1 or 2" wheel spacers would hurt anything but I think you would need 3-4" to really make a difference.
I would love to add duel wheels to the back of mine but then it would not fit in the shop. My employees would be hitting everything on the way in.
I dont wear the seat-belt ever because of having to shift my weight over but you should. I have flipped many log skidders, bulldozers, tractors and other equipment over
and I can tell you to stay with the machine, dont bail off if it goes over, trust your roll bar but that is easier said then done.
I flipped a Farmal M over when I was 13 and my dad never let me forget it. We didn't have roll bars then.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The rock moving is slow and steady. Tractor is doing well. I have a downward slope from where the rockpile is to the lake edge. Its amazing how unstable it gets with the smallest lateral slope change while going down hill. I have the box blade on the rear and have not filled the tires yet. Just looking for something to give me a little more lateral stability. Loving the tractor so far. I put a tooth bar on it and that really helped digging in to the rock pile.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The rock moving is slow and steady. Tractor is doing well. I have a downward slope from where the rockpile is to the lake edge. Its amazing how unstable it gets with the smallest lateral slope change while going down hill. I have the box blade on the rear and have not filled the tires yet. Just looking for something to give me a little more lateral stability. Loving the tractor so far. I put a tooth bar on it and that really helped digging in to the rock pile.
View Quote
Great glad to hear your happy with it, keep the box blade as low as you dare and the bucket as low as you can.
Stay safe, take your time, dont have to have a full bucket all the time with rock.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I put 2” spacers from Brotek on my BX25.

As others have said, I was worried about axle stresses if I went bigger.

It does feel more stable to me.

You could also consider loading the tires. I decided not to do this. I didn’t want my better half mad at me for leaving deeper tracks in the yard.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#6]
My L was fitted with Kubota factory spacers at the dealer.

1.5" spacers.

Might want to see what they offer for BX factory spacers OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top