Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2017 5:07:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out Wilson cell phone boosters, I've used one in the past with great results(weak signal outside the house and zero inside before the booster, worked perfectly with the booster). Whichever you choose, use a panel antenna for the outdoor antenna and an omnidirectional one inside, mount the panel as high as possible and aim for that nearest cell tower.

The problem is your signal is almost not a signal at all. If you can get the db up to -100 or so you'd be in great shape, is there a higher/better spot than where you've tested so far? Wilson wants -115 or better for their $399 option to work, the next step whether weboost or Wilson or others can be $1k plus.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#3]
You might be able to improve your chances with a tower & directional antenna pointed towards the closest (or best sight line) tower, used in conjunction with a Wilson repeater.   What is the topography around your site & between you and the towers? There are a lot of options for free standing or guyed towers & masts.

Nick
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might be able to improve your chances with a tower & directional antenna pointed towards the closest (or best sight line) tower, used in conjunction with a Wilson repeater.   What is the topography around your site & between you and the towers? There are a lot of options for free standing or guyed towers & masts.

Nick
View Quote
Exactly, hopefully a little altitude gets him a better sight line to the nearest tower. BayEagle, keep in mind the wire lengths allowed between outdoor antenna and amplifier. They may come with a 25' cable but allow 70'.  If you order the longer wire that gives you some room to run up a mast/tower 50' with 20' to get inside, etc. Also NO splices/joints/connectors allowed anywhere, get one cable for each segment that's at least as long as you need.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess it depends on the tree and how much it sways, but any foliage at all would affect and maybe kill your signal.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#7]
We purchased a booster system and it worked ok for a few months until lightening took it out.  I was exploring new systems and my a/c guy, who was fixing my outside unit, same lightening strike, ask me what type of phone I had.  I phone, he showed my how to activate my WiFi setting on my phone and I have the best phone connection I have ever had.  I have satellite internet, which works great.  So with the right phone and internet satellite, you don't need a booster.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We purchased a booster system and it worked ok for a few months until lightening took it out.  I was exploring new systems and my a/c guy, who was fixing my outside unit, same lightening strike, ask me what type of phone I had.  I phone, he showed my how to activate my WiFi setting on my phone and I have the best phone connection I have ever had.  I have satellite internet, which works great.  So with the right phone and internet satellite, you don't need a booster.
View Quote
What does using your phone via internet do to data usage?  Is it a data drain?  

Thanks,
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What does using your phone via internet do to data usage?  Is it a data drain?  

Thanks,
View Quote
If you watch videos from the internet or game,  it uses a lot of data.  Between my wife on her IPAD and me on my IPhone, we rarely go over.  I think we had 25 GB and she just updated it to 40 or so.  The internet is fast enough to game if you want. 
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Wilson probably still has for around 100 to 200 bucks an automotive cell phone booster thingy.  Had a magnetic little antenna.

I had a useable signal outside the house.

House was built in such a way or signal was so weak that could not use the phone inside.

Booster allowed me to use phone inside and I used phone back then for internet and phone use.

But the booster needed a useable signal to boost.  

Another neighbor bought it first and it did not work.  I got to try it out when they said they were going to send it back and I wound up just buying it from them.

My booster would not work in your situation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top