Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are even THINKING of a 200 amp service, you need 2 1/2" conduit (the grey PVC). 4/0 aluminum wire does not like to bend, especially in the confined space of a conduit. Trust me, its a PITA to deal with. 

You can't put 4/0 on circuit breakers, or at least any breakers I've ever seen. Biggest I've seen breakers for is 2/0 (90 amp) aluminum wire for subpanels. 

Of course you could go copper, but holy $$$$$.

I truly think that 100 (90) amp will be PLENTY for that, even with electric appliances. If you get a standard electric water heater, you can set it to run on 120 VAC by either wiring it a bit different or switching to 120v elements. That will save a bug chunk of power, but slower re-charge times. Like I said, our old house is all electric (and far more heat than you could possibly need down there) and we NEVER had issues blowing the main, just some branch circuits because apparently whomever wired our house figured that all outlets for the entire house only need to be divided onto 2 breakers 
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you on propane? 

Could go with an on-demand point-of-use propane hot water heater. Unlimited hot water for 1-2 fixtures for about $400 for a manual model.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Okay I finally got to watch these videos.

The guy in the second video about wiring for the slab--confused me.

I *think* I understood that I would be running a copper wire from my panel inside, out through the wall, to the grounding rod which is driven into the ground.
'
When he speaks of grounding the slab itself, it sounds like this copper wire --the ufer some of you mentioned--needs to go INSIDE the building.  That's what's new to me.
View Quote
Ideally, you would have boughten 2 pieces of rebar and put them (touching each other) into the footer while it was poured, with a foot or so sticking up (on the inside of the building) where the panel will be. Could do the same thing with the slab I suppose.

It makes zero sense to me, because rust and stuff that happens to rebar, but the inspector claims it is something like 5x more conductive than a pair of copper clad grounding rods.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Typically, you DO bond to the footer, the footer then is the "earth". Since your footers are poured, I'm not sure if its OK to put your grounding rebar in the slab or not. 

Honestly, your next move is to call your local electrical inspector and check.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#10]
How far are you running the pex into your slab.

In your situation, I would just use 1 1/2 or 2" pvc , ideally bell ended from a irrigation supplier.

Slowly Heat it up with a weed burner hooked to a 20lb bropane tank, rolling it as you go to heat it evenly, and bend it into a very long turn 90 to pull the pex through.

Or, pull an extra 3/4 pex as a backup.
Wrap them with foam pipe insulation for protection.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#11]
You can easily put power in a trench, up to the building in a conduit, and right through the outside wall to the interior distribution box. 

That is actually what is normally done.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Some bad news...there is no 1 1/2" black poly pipe to be had in my area without ordering it.  There's no time to order it.  
View Quote
Bummer.  If you need to get over the hump this week by using the PVC..

The schedule 40 PVC that electricians use is compatible with your DWV pipe that you have on hand..  This is only for the sleeve only so it's legal to mix the pipe.  There is a long sweep 90 available that is much longer and has a radius that you can push the pex through if you don't want to mess around with two 45s or a heat gun.  When you see one it will make sense...

Hopefully you can find one locally.  We tried to keep a few in stock at our shop, one of your electrical friends may have one...

Note the radius

If you do decide to use a heat gun to bend a piece of your existing PVC, it helps to stuff a rag in each end of the pipe to prevent a flue like effect cooling the interior of the pipe.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've seen those extra long sweep 90s before.  I'm sure I can find one.
View Quote
Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#16]
don't want to compromise anonymity and security, but how about a google maps style overhead shot or even ms paint  so we could see where things are in relation to each other, where utilities are presently located, trees you want to save,  etc. i don't know about anyone else, but the pics of the footers and the access hole in the fence from ground level don't really help me visualize the space.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#18]
gracias! that may help solutions present themselves
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:37:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Some bad news...there is no 1 1/2" black poly pipe to be had in my area without ordering it.  There's no time to order it.  So I'm going to have to either fudge together 2" PVC, or use 1 1/4" black poly.  Not much of it around, but there is SOME.  It's fallen out of favor around here, and nobody is using it much anymore, so nobody keeps it.  Plumbing supply houses can't even get it.  I have to go to farm supply or building supply places in the small towns near me. I found the 1 1/4" at TSC.  The PEX fits into it, but once I start really curving it, I'm not sure it's going to be easy.

@AR-jedi, would you use 1 1/4 if that's the biggest you could get?  Or would you try to make pvc work?
View Quote
3/4" PEX has an OD of 0.825"
1-1/4" poly has an ID of 1.097".  

yes the PEX fits into the poly, but it's pretty tight.  

do you have an irrigation/sprinkler supply house nearby?
do you see an irrigation truck driving around town?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-Drainage-Systems-1-1-2-in-x-100-ft-IPS-80-PSI-UTY-Poly-Pipe-15080100/202282491

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#22]
If the irrigation supply doesn't have what you want and you aren't comfortable heat bending, a real electrical supply house will have the 90 degree ells.
Setup a cash account wherever you can and you'll get better pricing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad you have that monkey off of your back.

Since seeing the pics, that would have been a pita with pvc.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like a good place for a panel to me.

Just make sure with the door closed you have 36" in width and depth in front of the panel for clearance.

The simplest way to get power in is to surface mount the conduit on the exterior and just run it right into the back of the panel with a lb.

If you don't want to see the pipe you'll have to stub inside the wall.

I would go ahead and run 2.5 or 3" conduit to the panel and install a 200 amp panel in case 100 amps isn't enough.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:50:03 AM EDT
[#30]
FYI, 2 sticks of 8ft isn't enough for grounding. Needs to be 2 twenty foot sticks that are touching, at least when they are in the footers.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:30:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't understand the line in green above.  Do you mean the PANEL door?

Or do you mean the entry door?

Entry door, no problem.

I just don't plan to access the electrical panel with the garden door open.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a good place for a panel to me.

Just make sure with the door closed you have 36" in width and depth in front of the panel for clearance.

The simplest way to get power in is to surface mount the conduit on the exterior and just run it right into the back of the panel with a lb.

If you don't want to see the pipe you'll have to stub inside the wall.

I would go ahead and run 2.5 or 3" conduit to the panel and install a 200 amp panel in case 100 amps isn't enough.

Entry door, no problem.

You are correct about the line in green.

As far as the grounds, at this point I would just pound in two ground rods close to where the power goes in the new building.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Entry door, no problem.

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Ufer is an alternate to two ground rods.  Since you have no rebar, encased in concrete,  in direct contact with the earth, just drive two rods at the exterior of the building when the electrical service is installed.

The first paragraph- "can serve".  Link
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Regarding the slab.  I think your weather is similar to our's for the next few days.  Sunshine but cooler Fall season temps.. After the pour I would cover the slab with plastic or wet it with a hose for the first 3 or 4 days.  It creates a nice dense surface and limits the number of curing cracks.

I don't know if the slab crew is going to add water or use plasticizer to the concrete for the slab.  The use of plasticizer is beneficial because there is less shrinkage and it doesn't weaken the concrete mix.  Having said that, they'll probably add water to the truck/mix because plasticizer adds about $5.00 to their cost per yard.  On commercial projects you can't do that.  They should provide, at a minimum, one saw cut from corner to corner where you have the offset in the foundation wall.  Those areas almost always crack so it's best to control the crack in a straight line.  That way if you lay tile over the area it's easier to deal with it with a bridging membrane.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
FYI, 2 sticks of 8ft isn't enough for grounding. Needs to be 2 twenty foot sticks that are touching, at least when they are in the footers.
View Quote
know your audience.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's higher pressure than I need, and cost more than the black would have, but I don't care at this point.  Unless one of y'all tell me this blue stuff will turn my PEX into goo, I'm calling this part done (for now anyway).  Guy swore it was the same stuff, just blue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's higher pressure than I need, and cost more than the black would have, but I don't care at this point.  Unless one of y'all tell me this blue stuff will turn my PEX into goo, I'm calling this part done (for now anyway).  Guy swore it was the same stuff, just blue.
looks great!  plus, if you ever need MORE water in that building, well the stuff you got is the cat's pajamas of 1-1/2" poly pipe so just pull the PEX out of it and plumb up the blue stuff.  

Quoted:
Also...I did pick up a pack of the duct seal, and hate to sound like such a fraidy cat, but after finding out that TAPE will destroy PEX, I think I should ask... @ar-Jedi  did you check on using this against the PEX?   I know you did, because you're more thorough than I am, even.   Just worrying that whatever keeps the play-doh soft will damage the polymers in the pipe.
just double check and make sure the duct seal package says "compatible with WHITE PEX *and* BLUE POLY when applied in Kentucky under a full moon".  

(that's a joke).  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ufer is an alternate to two ground rods.  Since you have no rebar, encased in concrete,  in direct contact with the earth, just drive two rods at the exterior of the building when the electrical service is installed.
The first paragraph- "can serve".  Link
View Quote
^^^ this.

also, scroll back to somewhere in this thread where i put "here is some bedtime reading..."  

don't worry, i found it.  
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Ain-t-Yer-Ordinary-Shed-Kitties-Building-in-the-Back-Yard/19-690562/?page=3#i11817565

the service panel in your outbuilding shed-thing-with-bath requires a separate ground.  you can follow the pictures on the first page of that thread above.  so 2 driven rods, separated by 6 feet, with a contiguous wire connecting them together and then extending into the structure to the service panel.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yep, I got teh separate ground part.  It's the "in the footers" part that sent me off the rails.
The regular old ground should be no problem.  Don't have a clue where I'll PUT it, but I'll figure that part out.
View Quote
my suggestion would be in the trench, along with the electrical conduit running to your shed-with-shower-thingy.  
see the "bedtime reading" link for some pictures.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:53:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
my suggestion would be in the trench, along with the electrical conduit running to your shed-with-shower-thingy.  

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, I got teh separate ground part.  It's the "in the footers" part that sent me off the rails.
The regular old ground should be no problem.  Don't have a clue where I'll PUT it, but I'll figure that part out.

ar-jedi
^^ That. 

Your going to bury the grounding rods anyway, may as well utilize the trench. Just make sure its a SINGLE piece of grounding copper wire, #4, solid, clamped with PROPER sized clamps (there are ratings) and that the electrical inspector sees it BEFORE you bury it, or you will be digging it back up for inspection.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
^^ That. 

Your going to bury the grounding rods anyway, may as well utilize the trench. Just make sure its a SINGLE piece of grounding copper wire, #4, solid, clamped with PROPER sized clamps (there are ratings) and that the electrical inspector sees it BEFORE you bury it, or you will be digging it back up for inspection.
View Quote
^^^ this.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#47]
And make sure to ask your foundation contractor and/ or electrician buddy if you can borrow
a sds max combo-hammer & ground rod driver attachment.

Foundation contractor should have a sds max hammer.

If you can't find the ground rod attachment, I can send you one to borrow in a usps flat rate box.

Just need to know if you need 1/2 or 5/8.  

Thank you for taking the time to post your built. Very interesting read.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

We have concrete.

View Quote
#fakenews
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top