Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2017 10:33:18 PM EDT
Which is purple potatoes, I get one that looks like an Idaho potato.   Do they mutate?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I grow purple potatoes; getting ready to dig another hill up with the grandkids, actually.

The thing is, what I stuck in the ground this spring was purple too.  I expected purple potatoes and got them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Figured out why the Idaho among the purple.  Last year I planted an Idaho potato in the area.  Plant did not take but apparently survived and the sole Idaho is from it.  I'll see if it sprouts so I can grow Idaho next year.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Mom dug the largest sweet tater I ever seen yesterday. It's bigger than a softball. I'll try and remember to get a pic tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes to Sweet Potato pics.  I tried to grow them one year and got these green bean length and shaped ones.  No big fat sweet potatoes.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:14:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Did someone say sweet potatoes?  I grew Beauregard and Purple Passion this year.  I'm not sure if I will bother with the Purple Passions again next year.  They grew well but the tubers grow long instead of ovalish which makes them really hard to get out of the ground without breaking them once they get large.

The medium sized tubers get eaten first and the big ones are stored for later.  The little ones won't store very long but they get used for making dog food.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did someone say sweet potatoes?  I grew Beauregard and Purple Passion this year.  I'm not sure if I will bother with the Purple Passions again next year.  They grew well but the tubers grow long instead of ovalish which makes them really hard to get out of the ground without breaking them once they get large.

The medium sized tubers get eaten first and the big ones are stored for later.  The little ones won't store very long but they get used for making dog food.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23635/20170920_132050-331237.JPG
View Quote
Purple passion like a really sandy loam soil. I forgot what mom planted all I know is she planted way to many. Has anyone fixed sweet taters on the grill?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#7]
We planted Beauregard around May 20th Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I think we planted 24 set's sprouted from last year's crop. We were just a little late digging.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#8]
That's nice to have sandy loam soil.  I have clay loam and many of my potatoes are finger potatoes or egg sized.  Some do get better, but most don't.   I've broke up the soil 2 feet down before I planted too.  Now, the stuff in the planter box comes out big (fist sized plus).
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's nice to have sandy loam soil.  I have clay loam and many of my potatoes are finger potatoes or egg sized.  Some do get better, but most don't.   I've broke up the soil 2 feet down before I planted too.  Now, the stuff in the planter box comes out big (fist sized plus).
View Quote
We add the barnyard mulch from where we feed and that helps. The sandy part gets dry really quick. Then we got a red clay base at around eight inches deep.  Just keep working all the barn yard material in that you can and it will come around.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks SparkyD.  I'll have to try that next year.  I've got three planter boxes (2 are 3 x 3 and one is 3 x 6) ready for next year.  I'll put squash in one small one and potatoes in the others.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Dug all mine out this afternoon with the help of my granddaughters.  Yield was on the small side; it was a newish area where the soil is still a bit too heavy (lots of clay here).

They have a potato song they sing when they find a potato.  Two singsongy words, over and over again:  poTAYto poTAHto.  

They were having fun.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I grow mine in a raised bed that is a 50/50 mix of native soil and compost.  Over the 4 or 5 months that I had the sweet potatoes in the ground the soil compacted quite a bit compared to how it was when I started (double dug bed).  It is a first year bed though so it will only get loamier as time goes on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top