Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2017 8:38:21 AM EDT
I have a 50 yard driveway made of small crushed stone and asphalt. Is their a home brew style weed killer that i can make, that will kill the weeds growing in my driveway?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I just buy glyphosphate from the local agri store and mix it up. It works great and is 1/3 the cost of round-up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Vinegar
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a 50 yard driveway made of small crushed stone and asphalt. Is their a home brew style weed killer that i can make, that will kill the weeds growing in my driveway?
View Quote

natural inhibitor in black walnut.  See if you can find someone with black walnut tree.  Offer to collect the leaves, branches, and fallen nuts.  Put through chipper/shredder.  Spread.  Do annually.

don't stop all weeds though.  but is all natural and relatively free.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just buy glyphosphate from the local agri store and mix it up. It works great and is 1/3 the cost of round-up.
View Quote
That do anything to well water? Our driveway is 700+' and about 40' downhill from the well head
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a great excuse to buy a Red Dragon Weed Torch.

Every time I use mine the other men in the neighborhood emerge like the proverbial moth to the flame.  They are fun to use and work well.  I circle back a week or two later and nuke any survivors with Round Up.  It's usually good for six months or more.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Glyphosphate would be the easiest herbicide for spot weed treatment. Vinegar can also be used as a natural alternative.

Or you can use the little flame thrower propane weed burners, those work.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Just throwing it out there if you want dead, burnt, and gone permanently.......Firestorm, though ifmemory serves me correctly, its a Controlled Herbicide so you'll either need a license to get it or know someone who can and spray it for you. Just be careful about spraying it if you can somehow get it, paraquat that's in it is no joke.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#8]
The flame thing is intriguing, does it work pretty well?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes they work well. Just don't burn down the neighborhood. I won't use them in the dry months...
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That do anything to well water? Our driveway is 700+' and about 40' downhill from the well head
View Quote
I have always had well water. My well is 50' from my 50' long driveway and I do a 1:6 ratio and it works well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Fuck chemicals...I want some fiery death! Harbor freight has them for $30
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
It works great for me.  The gutters on my street are lined with red bricks.  The cracks between bricks collect road dirt, and then weeds start to grow there.  Round Up alone never worked very well and I felt bad about using it because the gutters drain to the local lake via the storm drain system.  The torch works better than Round Up, and the torch followed a couple weeks later with a little Round Up on any surviving weeds is usually good for several months.  I usually do this twice a year to keep the gutters fairly weed free for most of the year.

FYI I tried one of the little cane torches that use the green 2 pound propane tanks before I got a Red Dragon, but the cane torch didn't work anywhere near as well as my sister's Red Dragon.  The big torch's output is MUCH greater.  It will melt asphalt or chip bricks if you hold it in one place too long.  Not a toy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Every time I use mine the other men in the neighborhood emerge like the proverbial moth to the flame.  They are fun to use and work well.  I circle back a week or two later and nuke any survivors with Round Up.  It's usually good for six months or more.
View Quote
This is what I'm using to fight the massive goat head problem I have going on in my backyard, I'm slowly but surely gaining ground.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Pramitol mixed with diesel.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Glyphosphate would be the easiest herbicide for spot weed treatment. Vinegar can also be used as a natural alternative.

Or you can use the little flame thrower propane weed burners, those work.
View Quote
Someone here gave that bullshit advice a while ago.  Vinegar won't do shit.  May as well piss on weeds. Yeah, I was dumb enough to try the vinegar. 
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is immediate.  It is also a bit slow with some weeds and really eats the propane.  I keep doing it because the torch sounds like a jet engine.  The torch is great for starting fireplaces and wood for your smoker.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Broadcast rock salt
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Vinegar will definitely kill plants. It has a pH of 2.5ish. The plants need draw it in though, because it will evaporate and it doesn't stick around, but it will definitely kill things.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
The problem with straight glyphosphate is that it's just a weed killer - does nothing to control regrowth (by design).    If you want to kill and keep weeds from growing in your gravel you need something more like Roundup Max \ Extended Control, RM43, or Ortho Groundclear.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had driveway gravel "popcorn" at me (explode and come flying my direction) when using a torch, so be careful with that.

I bought some of the uber-wonder-Roundup (the kind that is supposed to work for months), and the weeds came back in a couple weeks.

So, good luck, I have no clue what really works well
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've had driveway gravel "popcorn" at me (explode and come flying my direction) when using a torch, so be careful with that.

I bought some of the uber-wonder-Roundup (the kind that is supposed to work for months), and the weeds came back in a couple weeks.

So, good luck, I have no clue what really works well
View Quote
Did you do broad cast spray where everything was covered, even bare dirt? If you just spot spray the areas you didn't spray will allow weeds to grow. Did you slightly water it in after a day or two? You have to get the pre emergent in the soil by lightly watering it in. If a big rain comes along before its watered in then it washes it away and it isn't effective. Also if you have a lot of water / rain it will diminish how long coverage lasts.

Round UP 365 would be your best bet for over the counter control.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:23:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Spray product called Barrier. Kills weeds and prevents growth for 6 months. Use it on our farm drives.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Paraquat....firestorm....

Cause chemicals don't make rocks explode in your face...yet lol

Idk Paraquat might.....its crazy stuff
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#29]
OP, here. I made a request from my son for Red Dragon Weed Torch. As Friday is my birthday. I raised him well i should (i hope) have one deliverd next week. I will wear shooting glasses incase of popping rocks. Thank you for the advise and help. How long shouls a BBQ propane sized tank last before a refill is needed?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Did you do broad cast spray where everything was covered, even bare dirt? If you just spot spray the areas you didn't spray will allow weeds to grow. Did you slightly water it in after a day or two? You have to get the pre emergent in the soil by lightly watering it in. If a big rain comes along before its watered in then it washes it away and it isn't effective. Also if you have a lot of water / rain it will diminish how long coverage lasts.

Round UP 365 would be your best bet for over the counter control.
View Quote
I soaked the area pretty well, but rain might have screwed with it.  I'm not sure. I suppose I'll have to keep trying.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Try the 365 if your wanting to use a retail available chemical.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
DUDE! I have been looking for a solution to keeping the weeds around my pond trimmed/killed/ect. I don't like spraying chemicals around water and it's too much to do by hand. This is perfect.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#34]
So, this red dragon weed torch. 

Is it that much better than say a HF offering?

Or a homebrew torch?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
glyphosate = RoundUp
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Pramitol is a ground sterilant and works well. Be careful of what is down hill from where you spray it. Off target activity can happen if it washes it away.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Isnt there something about "salting the ground of your enemies" in the bible
I have just started trying salt as a weed killer, I bought a bag of table salt from Costco for like $5.  I spread it in gravel driveway, around the propane tank, and various other places that I dont want any growth.
It hasnt rained yet so I dont know if it will actually work.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OP, here. I made a request from my son for Red Dragon Weed Torch. As Friday is my birthday. I raised him well i should (i hope) have one deliverd next week. I will wear shooting glasses incase of popping rocks. Thank you for the advise and help. How long shouls a BBQ propane sized tank last before a refill is needed?
View Quote
Glad I clicked on that.  Even though I have three dollies, I have been carrying my propane tank in one hand and using the torch with the other.  One arm is now longer than the other.   Next time I will use my dolly.  

The Harbor Freight torch is much cheaper.  Get the one with the click igniter.  (I didn't)
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#39]
OP, here my son ordered my the Red Dragon for my birthday. I will let you know how it works when it comes. He got me the better one with the squeeze valve. Amy one have an idea how long a 20LB propane tank will last?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Generic roundup (41% concentrate, $35/2.5 gal) and a sprayer.  Cheap and this quantity will last you for years.  Apply once, maybe twice a season.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a torch, not sure which one.  Hooks to 5 gallon propane tank.

Burning stuff is just burning the surface.  If something has roots in place you won't be burning those.

I used to rent a place that needed a few loads of gravel, gravel is consumable in my opinion and you will need more if you have a gravel driveway or parking area.

Anyway, landlord was not worried about it and I had some other things to burn and play with so bought the torch.

Yeah it burns stuff and does fine.  I wear boots and pants and safety glasses when using it, I don't worry about long sleeves but consider a heavier t-shirt required as well.

When someone has a good bonfire to get going or anything else, this will do it.

And you won't need your charcoal chimney anymore either.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Ortho Groundclear. Works well for my 330ft x 10 ft gravel driveway
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#43]
OP, here. got the flame thrower. Hooked up an almost empty BBQ tank. I got about 10 min of burn time, then empty. Worked well, easy to put together hose and valve was hooked up by factory. Took 2 min to put hand truck together. Cheap ass wife stated we don't need another tank for the flame thrower. Can't get a refill today until after 3PM. I will let you know how long a 20LB BBQtank lasts on a 100,000 BTU flame thrower. I hope i can get 3 hrs off a full tank.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Pramitol is a ground sterilant and works well. Be careful of what is down hill from where you spray it. Off target activity can happen if it washes it away.
View Quote
We have a couple of bottles of pramitol and we've been afraid to use it because of possible translocation. My Dad bought some Home Depot sterilent shit and put it out on our business parking lot, it didn't do shit. I'm trying to get some sandburs under control in the ditch and I did have some good luck with a 3 chemical mix.

RoundUp/glyphosate - mix at max strength
Pendulum - pre-emergent mix at max strength
Fusillade 2 - group 1 weedkiller - mix at max strength
mix in the max rate of spreader sticker, I used an organo-silicate called Capsil

Burned the fuck out of everything. Pendulum should keep it down for 3 months, but we'll see. It hasn't rained in 30 days and that's going to affect it's success. I'm probably going to reapply just the pendulum and the Roundup one more time before winter just to make sure the grassburs are fucked.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#45]
All you need to do is change the pH of your soil to control the weeds.  That is what most weed killers do, except they do it inside the plant itself.  A mixture of diesel and rock salt might work and you don't need a lot.  the diesel carries the salt into the plant structure.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#47]
OP, here i did about an hours worth of burn time. Used about a half a tank of propane. 90% of weeds burned an didn't come back (been 9 days now) looks like i will have to do another burn, for the remainder of weeds. Instructions stated don't burn to ash, just wilt the weeds. If you burn to ash the roots don't die, they go dormant, like a forest fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top