Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2017 7:53:44 PM EDT
Its that season and i dont have one. Lets keep recommendations under $100
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a Fiskar splitting axe, sledge and wedge, if you're after a splitting maul, I'd give this one a look, a neighbor just purchased one and even though I haven't used it I'm impressed with it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a Fiskars splitting maul, it worked great for a while till we noticed the head was cracked.

Contacted Fiskar and they replaced it immediately with no questions asked.  Could not have asked for better service.

Only issue I could see of why it cracked is we routinely used a sledge to drive the maul through a tough split when necessary.

Fortunately that issue went away when we picked up a used 27 ton hydraulic splitter for $350 last spring.  

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a Fiskars splitting maul, it worked great for a while till we noticed the head was cracked.

Contacted Fiskar and they replaced it immediately with no questions asked.  Could not have asked for better service.

Only issue I could see of why it cracked is we routinely used a sledge to drive the maul through a tough split when necessary.

Fortunately that issue went away when we picked up a used 27 ton hydraulic splitter for $350 last spring.  

Semper Fi
View Quote
Dont get me wrong id love to get a hydraulic press but have one where i am moving to so no point in investing.

But ill look at thr fiskars
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used probably 20 different splitting mauls over the years, and this is by far the best I've split with.  The steel collar saves the handle, and it is just heavy enough to crack open even White Oak with no problem, without being too heavy.  You should be able to get one out the door for around $100-120.00.  I dress up the edge a bit with a file before every use.  

Stihl Pro Splitting Maul
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The Fiskars Splitting axe is much lighter.  I think it is more efficient than a maul.  It swings FAST.  Make sure you get the one with the 36" handle.  On bigger stuff I use a big triangular wedge and an eight pound sledge.   I keep a 12 pounder nearby for the reallly big stuff.  But honestly that lightweight Fiskars will split pretty much anything.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have used probably 20 different splitting mauls over the years, and this is by far the best I've split with.  The steel collar saves the handle, and it is just heavy enough to crack open even White Oak with no problem, without being too heavy.  You should be able to get one out the door for around $100-120.00.  I dress up the edge a bit with a file before every use.  

Stihl Pro Splitting Maul
View Quote
I like the concept of that steel collar. Seen many handles snapped by accidentally hitting a wedge right behind the head on the handle.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I ended going with the fiskars
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Fiskars 36
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one been using for years. Fiberglass handle, not sure of make but bought
it at lowes and it is still working great even after some handle strikes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Fiskars is the best thing short of a hydraulic splitter.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#13]
i hate mauls. They make you work hard. My boys thought they worked good,, until we split beside each other one day,,and this 61 yr old with a fiskers could outlast/outsplit the youngens using that heavy maul.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top