Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Blackx-runner, your front yard needs some sweet sweet fake grass goodness.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Heres some quotes work pics from a few pages back... project details on page 2.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pavers set in cement. And what is this new development? 3" of class II base rock with plate tamper, then 1.5" of decomposed granite with plate tamper!  No more sinkholes... but what comes next?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/389059/20170527-140111-220554.JPG

....Tore out the right rosemary bush, making a more open feel in that area
The rosemary was ancient and on its last legs, anyway.  Will eventually be replaced with something, veggies or flowers most likely.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/389059/20170527-140109-220558.JPG

Hauled quite a few cubic yards of rock.   Good workout!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/389059/20170527-140127-220563.JPG

But what the heck is he doing with all that rock, after tilling?  Well, he said he didn't want no damned sinkholes, but what do you put over 5" of Tilled soIL, rolled, then 5" of base rock mix, tamped for hours?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/389059/20170531-120811-220569.JPG

You  put some high end turf in!!!!! Impervious to drought, female dog piss, neglect, and the pix do NOT do it justice, it looks and feels fantastic!!

Here are my helpers checking my work.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/389059/20170528-201239-220571.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

That vine on the back blew up.

The soil is all crap here, so tilling was key.

@kitties-with-sigs
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Blackx-runner, your front yard needs some sweet sweet fake grass goodness.  
View Quote
Would be a whole lot easier than trying to grow the stuff on the hill
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh man, wish I'd found this thread a year ago.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

So far that wheelbarrow and I have moved 20+ yards of dirt into the backyard to backfill the retaining wall.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you! It's been quite the project, so I'm happy to hear it doesn't look like too much of a disaster! I basically followed this diagram, the wall on the left side. It's a little simplistic, but it works.

First I dug and leveled the whole trench, and then put down a 6"+ bed of gravel that I then compacted and leveled. I used this gravel (lowes).

The blocks (lowes) fit together as shown in the diagram, so I knocked that ledge off of the bottom row of blocks to make it easier to level. Leveling the bottom row was the most tedious part; I used a rubber mallet and small torpedo level to check and adjust each block. Originally it would take me 5 to 10 minutes per block to make sure it was both level and on the same plane as the block next to it, but now I can knock one out in a minute tops. After the first row is done, the rest of it goes relatively quickly. I did make the job harder for myself by not digging the trench wide enough.

Behind the retaining wall I have gardening fabric layed down in a U form, with a base of river rock at the bottom of the U, followed by a perforated corrugated black pipe, followed by more river rock. The river rock goes all the way to just under the topmost block on the wall, where the gardening fabric is folded over, and normal dirt is put on top. The corrugated pipe terminates at one end of the wall where it drains out behind a couple blocks.

I then back filled the retaining wall first with a sandy/clay mix, with topsoil on top of that. I should have used more of the sandy/clay mix as right now I'm at 16 yards of the topsoil and probably need another 12.
The steps are a work in progress, but I'll try and get some more pictures. I debated for a while pouring concrete steps, but wanted to give this a try first.

The plastic wheelbarrow is awesome. It does want to try and tip over if it's not on level ground, but that's more the double wheels. I've noticed some deflection on the plastic bucket when I really have it loaded down, but I haven't found any stress marks or obvious points of failure yet.

I'm using this landscaping fabric (lowes) and it seems to be working fine for water permeability. It does seem to slow down the water, but we have had some seriously heavy rains and I haven't seen any issues.
Attachment Attached File

This is Bandit, he is my buddy. He is an 8 year old Dutch Shepherd, and enjoys trying to grab the shovel out of my hands when I'm working on the yard.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:11:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@Blackx-runner

Good timing.  I had a design almost drawn, and stopped when I looked back and saw these bare spots.

http://www.fototime.com/72F16003A81BECD/standard.jpg

Questions:

1-The red arrow on the left...I know that's not technically your yard, but is that thin area because of water runoff?  If so, is it coming directly off of your yard?  Or is it running down the sidewalk and exiting to the street at that point?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@Blackx-runner

Good timing.  I had a design almost drawn, and stopped when I looked back and saw these bare spots.

http://www.fototime.com/72F16003A81BECD/standard.jpg

Questions:

1-The red arrow on the left...I know that's not technically your yard, but is that thin area because of water runoff?  If so, is it coming directly off of your yard?  Or is it running down the sidewalk and exiting to the street at that point?
City took out a big tree there and I have been waiting for years to get a replacement so I never replanted until this fall when I finally got my new tree.

2-The red arrow on the right....That's DEFINITELY your yard.  Does water run there?  Is that why grass does not grow in that funky, curvy pattern?
3-As to the bank--have you sewn grass seed there and failed?  Why do you think it's failed?

4-The YELLOW arrow--it looks like there's a thin spot in the grass, running down the property line.  Is that true, or a trick of the light.  If it's true, do you know why?  Is that a water shed?  Seems like it would go downhill to the neighbor first.
No water or runoff issues in the front causing any issues. The thin grass on the hill is from work I did this spring after the sidewalk was replaced. Raked and planted more seed this fall to fill it in. There was some minor areas where things washed out, but we're getting those filled back in. Once I get the grass thickened up it won't be any issues.

5-YOUR YARD NEAR THE HOUSE (This is VERY important)

Does water EVER pool in front of your front porch?  In heavy rains, does it get soggy there?  Does the soggy last any time?  Tell me about your front yard when there is a LOT of rain.
No water pooling anymore. Used to get water collecting and running back to the house, but I got all that fixed shortly after I moved in.

6-Tell me about your soil...have you dug in it?  What is it like?

Ever had it tested?
Good black soil. There is a strip of sandy fill over the sewer line, but still plenty of black soil over the top. Never had it tested.

Know anything about the soil in your neighborhood based on comment from other people?

Any information will help (information that you have firsthand.  I can get general knowledge about Iowa from the web and your extension service. )

ETA: I know it seems like I'm stalling, but honest, I'm not.  Trying to get this right for you in the Great White North.  I have this design in my head, and I'm translating it to a piece of paper, which I will scan and upload.  But it's not useful to you unless I have the details.  It could cost you wasted money if I don't have all the information.    So I keep asking questions as I come to them.

ETA2:  Be sure to let me know if there are major utilities running to the sidewalk somewhere in this front yard section.  Mostly they'll be deep enough that it won't matter, but not always.
Sewer and water come through the front yard. I assume Natural gas does too. Those are plenty deep up by the house where any work would be happening. The backyard is where I have a maze of phone/cable/satelite/power lines running that are a pain to work around.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@Blackx-runner

LISTEN..

Kitties did not design in the age of CAD (computer assisted design).  Kitties designed when people DREW landscapes.

And Kitties no longer has all those tools, cuz she does not do this for a living

So she's improvising with  VERY ROUGH TOOLS..markers, colored pencils, and wine. (Do not discount this last design influence. )

Uxb ran away when I went rampaging through the house, looking for a pencil or marker that would reasonably represent the shrub I wanted ot use.

Anyway...

Working on your landscape, though I don't have all the details, I realized I could not do it from overhead (at first).  I needed to visualize the plantings from the street.

So I sketched (sort of )  your house.

http://www.fototime.com/8EBA2E4B73D691F/standard.jpg

Then I dug around for colored pencils and markers to make the plants.

It's REALLY rough, and I could not scan the whole thing in one photo,  but before I do an overhead view, with spacing and sizing exact, let me know if you hate this general idea.

If you hate it, I won't do that overhead view.  I will change the design for something more suited to you.

1-You asked for "simple"--

There are only five plants in this landscape (though there will be one more (small tree near the sidewalk, in keeping with what I see in your neighborhood) if you like this idea and want to see the overhead)  Only one of those plants  is expensive.  (expensive for me, anyway)

All of them will grow well and easily for you, as far as I can tell.  (I'm relying on research for this.  NOT the same as being a landscaper in your area.)  None of them is a significant deer magnet (which seems to be an issue for northern midwest landscapes)

2-This has four-season interest, which means your landscape will not be ugly even in winter.  But it will have color for at least three seasons, and I believe it can survive in your (challenging) climate.

3-It can be flexible.  If you hate something, there are ways to flex the design and still maintain the basic shape and idea.

This is about basic shapes and overall design..

Your house is in two sections cuz...big drawing, small scanner capability, and I don't have the technology to make them one.

http://www.fototime.com/7D7D7B024508D5D/standard.jpg  (That whole "no-cad" thing.

http://www.fototime.com/444963DB9A6C69E/standard.jpg

I will give you lots of details and options for moving stuff around.  But first....the question is...do you like this idea at all? Hate it?

Give me some ideas about what will or will not work for you based on this.)
View Quote
I like the idea. Looks clean and simple, doesn't block any of the windows.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@watercat

I saw some other photos of the shed area, and the slope in your back yard (in a thread in DIY).

It's not nearly as sloped as I though it might be.

I think I would still consider checking whether there is adequate drainage by that side of the house, carrying the water AWAY from the foundation.  But I would not imagine that you would need more tiles (even if you need that) unless the area is incredibly poorly drained, and you would know that by now.

Take pics if you can, when you cut that corner down and get some of that dirt out of there.  And let us know how it works when you get some good rains.  I bet the removal of the sniper perch shed, and the removal of any "hump" that's by the driveway, will do what you need.
View Quote
This is way late, but a needy newborn took over and I forgot to post an update. The original pictures and question are on page 4...

We decided to till, approximate the slope, and sod with matching St Augustine. It worked great, stood up to our normal spring rain amounts and the normal North Texas summer heat, with my husband driving his car over the grass twice a day during the work week. Then came the monsoon that has been our fall. DFW has gotten over 28 inches of rain in the last 2 months. Average is 7. Needless to say, we discovered some issues.

As it turns out, the driveway and drain channel USED to extend further into what we thought was the yard. It was just pisspoor work and cracked and sunk over however many years the previous owners drove on it. It is now a muddy pit, but I don't think it's because of the work we did.

We knew there was a little concrete (4 inches or so) under the driveway edge of the sod, but we thought it was just a few broken bits, so we covered it instead of taking the effort to dig them out.

I'm not sure what we're going to do about the mess. Right now we're trying to let it dry out, and my husband is trying to avoid driving on it, which is hard since it takes up about half of "his" approach to the garage.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#18]
btt
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:28:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 1:03:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been having issues with the corner of my yard retaining water for days after even a light rain. This is the lowest point in my yard, so a traditional gravity drain wouldn't do me any good. There is, however, a slightly elevated storm drain located on the other side of my fence.

Attachment Attached File

My solution was to dig a french drain and install a sump pump in the bottom of the catch basin. The water is then pumped to the storm drain on the other side of my fence.

Attachment Attached File

Sounds pretty normal, except I didn't have an electrical outlet on that side of the house, and didn't want to go through the trouble of trenching and running a new electrical line into the yard. So I decided to go solar.

Attachment Attached File

I picked up a cheap 40w solar panel from Amazon, along with a charge controller, 12v DC marine bilge pump and automatic float, and a boat bilge pump switch. Turns out the charge controller requires a battery to function, so I grabbed an old junk one out of the garage and hooked it up.

It worked exactly as I had hoped, and drained all the standing water within 5 minutes. That spot in the yard gets about an hour of direct sun, but if I trim a couple branches I think I can gain another hour or so for the solar panel. All I have left to do is grab a cheap marine battery case and permanently wire the battery into the system.

As for the rest of the yard, I finally finished the retaining wall, and even brought in a couple pallets of sod.

Attachment Attached File

Still a lot of work to do on the rest of the yard.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@IslandTimes

That is freaking AWESOME!

You really should do a thread about how you set this up... OR...I would welcome a complete writeup on how you built that solar powered drain system, here in this thread.  You are ABSOLUTELY welcome to do that.  I may get bogged down by life and not be able to keep this out of the archives, but I will do my best as long as anybody has interest.

Either way, that is amazing, and on that installation!

Question:  Is the drain you're pumping into on YOUR property?  Or is that the neighbor?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been having issues with the corner of my yard retaining water for days after even a light rain. This is the lowest point in my yard, so a traditional gravity drain wouldn't do me any good. There is, however, a slightly elevated storm drain located on the other side of my fence.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/290770/IMG_20190414_155153_jpg-919619.JPG

My solution was to dig a french drain and install a sump pump in the bottom of the catch basin. The water is then pumped to the storm drain on the other side of my fence.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/290770/IMG_20190414_190104_jpg-919617.JPG

Sounds pretty normal, except I didn't have an electrical outlet on that side of the house, and didn't want to go through the trouble of trenching and running a new electrical line into the yard. So I decided to go solar.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/290770/IMG_20190420_142204_jpg-919625.JPG

I picked up a cheap 40w solar panel from Amazon, along with a charge controller, 12v DC marine bilge pump and automatic float, and a boat bilge pump switch. Turns out the charge controller requires a battery to function, so I grabbed an old junk one out of the garage and hooked it up.

It worked exactly as I had hoped, and drained all the standing water within 5 minutes. That spot in the yard gets about an hour of direct sun, but if I trim a couple branches I think I can gain another hour or so for the solar panel. All I have left to do is grab a cheap marine battery case and permanently wire the battery into the system.

As for the rest of the yard, I finally finished the retaining wall, and even brought in a couple pallets of sod.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/290770/IMG_20190330_183735_2_jpg-919638.JPG

Still a lot of work to do on the rest of the yard.
@IslandTimes

That is freaking AWESOME!

You really should do a thread about how you set this up... OR...I would welcome a complete writeup on how you built that solar powered drain system, here in this thread.  You are ABSOLUTELY welcome to do that.  I may get bogged down by life and not be able to keep this out of the archives, but I will do my best as long as anybody has interest.

Either way, that is amazing, and on that installation!

Question:  Is the drain you're pumping into on YOUR property?  Or is that the neighbor?  
Thank you!

I unfortunately didn't take as many pictures as I wanted, but I do have a wiring diagram drawn up, so I'll try and get a write up together in a couple days.

The storm drain is actually in my yard, but the previous owner didn't fence to the property line. At some point I'll probably just move the fence and take out the pump and french drain, but until then this seems to be working well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@Watercat  have you done anything with this?

If not, I will say one thing for certain.  If there is driveway under that corner of the yard, I would uncover that driveway, pull the soil back away from it, and form a plan that includes whatever is necessary to keep that dirt from washing over that corner of the driveway again.

You need it to drive on.  Dirt there won't work and grass there will NEVER do well.  Never.

Grass roots go much deeper than most people realize, and Warm Season grasses in a hot climate need those deep roots.

So....you will probably find your easiest way to approach that corner is to uncover any driveway that's there, and if you need MORE driveway, pull the dirt back even farther and add some gravel or other substrate that can take the abuse of the car going over it.  There are a number of options that might look nice.

As to the drainage issue, I've gotta go back and look at the original posts.  Tell me where you are with this, because I owe some people some answers/ designs from a year ago before I had to take care of my mom.  I want to take them in order, but don't want to leave you hanging.

~Kitties
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is way late, but a needy newborn took over and I forgot to post an update. The original pictures and question are on page 4...

We decided to till, approximate the slope, and sod with matching St Augustine. It worked great, stood up to our normal spring rain amounts and the normal North Texas summer heat, with my husband driving his car over the grass twice a day during the work week. Then came the monsoon that has been our fall. DFW has gotten over 28 inches of rain in the last 2 months. Average is 7. Needless to say, we discovered some issues.

As it turns out, the driveway and drain channel USED to extend further into what we thought was the yard. It was just pisspoor work and cracked and sunk over however many years the previous owners drove on it. It is now a muddy pit, but I don't think it's because of the work we did.

We knew there was a little concrete (4 inches or so) under the driveway edge of the sod, but we thought it was just a few broken bits, so we covered it instead of taking the effort to dig them out.

I'm not sure what we're going to do about the mess. Right now we're trying to let it dry out, and my husband is trying to avoid driving on it, which is hard since it takes up about half of "his" approach to the garage.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/276779/IMG_20181106_092943-2016x1512_jpg-730604.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/276779/sketch-1541553295588-1296x972_png-730611.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/276779/sketch-1541553520744-1296x972-1166x875_png-730612.JPG
@Watercat  have you done anything with this?

If not, I will say one thing for certain.  If there is driveway under that corner of the yard, I would uncover that driveway, pull the soil back away from it, and form a plan that includes whatever is necessary to keep that dirt from washing over that corner of the driveway again.

You need it to drive on.  Dirt there won't work and grass there will NEVER do well.  Never.

Grass roots go much deeper than most people realize, and Warm Season grasses in a hot climate need those deep roots.

So....you will probably find your easiest way to approach that corner is to uncover any driveway that's there, and if you need MORE driveway, pull the dirt back even farther and add some gravel or other substrate that can take the abuse of the car going over it.  There are a number of options that might look nice.

As to the drainage issue, I've gotta go back and look at the original posts.  Tell me where you are with this, because I owe some people some answers/ designs from a year ago before I had to take care of my mom.  I want to take them in order, but don't want to leave you hanging.

~Kitties
Last winter and spring just kind of went. Other problems took precedence, and nothing has really changed. He can't avoid driving on it completely, because the approach to his side of the garage is too tight. He avoided it when he could, it turned into a puddle each time it got wet. The toddlers both love stomping in it, digging in it, and playing in it. The older toddler likes to take the water hose and "make more mud."

How much gravel would be required to not sink into the mud and disappear? We dumped about 3 bags of the bigger stones into a hole at the base of our driveway, and they just... vanished?

The drainage in the yard is mostly fixed. We have some low spots that we've been slowly adding topsoil into, but that's not really an overall yard problem. The drainage out if the yard (under the house using that thing in the driveway) is slowly getting worse. It looks to be made of pvc (why the hell would you put pvc in a DRIVEWAY??). The pvc is slowly breaking, so the channel is getting clogged. Right now, we can pull leaves and dirt out of the terminus, where it goes under the house, but I think it's getting clogged in the underground pipe from the detritus that can now get in. We've talked about using a pressure washer to try to blow it out, but we would have to buy one... To truly fix the problem, we need a new driveway, sloped such that the water goes around the house instead of under it. But that's a lot of driveway, and we have other house repairs looming that will take a chunk of money and will be more pressing when they happen. So a new driveway is a dream at this point, and we're trying our best to keep the drain functioning.

Thank you for continuing to keep up with us!
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@Watercat..

You can use a drain snake in PVC.  If it's so old it's gotten really brittle, I'm not sure you won't damage it further, but if it's clogged, you're not going to get much life out of it anyway.

You can rent one of these, or hire a plumber to snake it out (if he's honest, he'll tell you if he thinks he'll destroy your drain)

Maybe you want a pressure washer anyway?  But not sure it would work.  Might just kind of explode the pipe. I have no idea. Not a pressure washer person. (though I am about to buy one--whole nuther story).

To answer your question, it takes a LOT of gravel to not disappear into mud.  AND...it takes a "base" of bigger rock...not rip rap, but very course rock--bigger than you can buy in a bag (I can never remember the designations)-- moving down in size to #69 (which is, I think, course driveway gravel) and I wouldn't go any smaller than that. But you are talking wheelbarrow loads- -several.

I still say if there is concrete under there, USE THAT.

Dig down to the concrete and remove the dirt on top of it.  Take the driveway back to its original shape so there's enough room for husband to make his turn.  Build a little 12" retaining wall in a curve toward the former sniper perch.  Plant some pretty flowers at the top of the wall.

ETA:  With a $140 rotary hammer from Harbor freight (THANK YOU to my shed thread, and all the people in there, who helped me figure this out) you can cut a trench across your driveway, pull the old drain out, put in a new one (I'm not opposed to the heavy pvc for this, honestly--it's cheap and strong, and will last many years. There's one rated for this use I think.  Schedule 80 maybe?  Don't hold me to that. I've had wine and I am NOT a PVC expert by a long stretch  @Handydave can  you help?) ..

Anyway...So you drop the kids off at grammas for the weekend, use your Harbor Freight rotary Hammer and cut a trench across your driveway, (this is not as onerous as it sounds...The pipe is about 5" outside diameter I bet. That means your trench needs to be only about 8" wide) pull out the asphalt, pull out the old drain, dig out around it a little cuz you'll need to clean out the trench some (a small handheld hoe is all you need) drop in a new drain, then a few bags of concrete mix done up in a wheelbarrow, smooth it out with a trowel (or heck, a hoe--it's a driveway)...then a hot shower, couple of glasses of wine, grill some steaks, put on some mood music, and have a saturday night and sunday with the hubs.

Be sure to park by the old sniper perch so you don't drive over your work until it's set really well.  A few days at least I'd say. Concrete guys might say sooner.  I'm definitely not a concrete guy but I would not be afraid to take this on.

ETA2:  I do have a concern...you're filling the small issues in your yard with dirt...that's good.  BUT...if the drain under your driveway has failed, I'm a little (or more than a little) worried about the one behind your house.  If they were installed at the same time, they both may be due for fixing/cleaning/something.

That one behind your house is a lot more important than the driveway one.
View Quote
@Kitties-with-Sigs

I'll show this to my husband. That's a lot of work. Edit: he wants to know how deep to dig out the dirt before laying the rock and gravel.

We only have the one drain, leading from the edge of the yard, across the driveway, and under the house. We never have standing water behind the house, or anywhere else for that matter. I'll have to go take a picture of it, though, because it's nowhere as big as you say it should be. The pvc along the driveway appears to be less than an inch, and the pvc at the exit is maybe 1.5 inches.

Drain across the driveway:
Attachment Attached File

Who knows how big the tunnel under the house is, but I'm assuming it isn't bigger. It drains, it isn't clogged, it's just slow. EDIT: husband says it drains, he thinks it isn't clogged just slow because of how much water needs to go down it.

Drain where it exits the driveway and goes under the house:
Attachment Attached File

Drain depth, maybe?, under the house
Attachment Attached File

Drain exit at the front of the house, hidden in the grass at the edge of the driveway. That measurement is approximate, as there is so much dirt packed behind it that I couldn't easily get to it.
Attachment Attached File

It could be because it is too small?
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@watercat

I'm WAY confused.

The driveway drain goes under your actual house?

Clearly I've missed something, and I apologize..

And if that drain is only a one-inch pipe, you can't snake that.  No way.
View Quote
@Kitties-with-Sigs
Yep, it goes under the patio, under the house, under part of the front yard, and exits onto the front third of the driveway. I'm sorry if I didn't say that earlier, but I've made so many posts on this thread that I don't remember what I've posted. (as an aside, we think this is the reason the bottom of the driveway has washed out. I posted a thread about fixing that in the DIY forum a few years ago...)

I'm assuming that the pipe is slightly bigger than the tape measure indicates, because part of it is buried in concrete. But it's nowhere near 5 in. My husband calls it a stupid design. He thinks that fixing it correctly would require a new driveway with slopes in the driveway surface to route the water around the house instead of under the house.

At this point, I'm just happy that we've managed to get a nice grass surface in place of the raised flower bed. The grass does not puddle and swamp up like the flower bed did, and the kids are able to play on it. I really appreciate your help in getting us this far
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well, I don't think I've helped at all!

I think I've just mostly asked questions.

That whole "around the house instead of under the house" takes this in a realm I can't answer, mostly.

I can help with that tight corner so it's not mud.  But once you said the drain goes under your house, that is definitely not within the scope of this thread or anything I can do.
View Quote
@Kitties-with-Sigs
You underestimate the value of someone outside the problem among questions. You haven't been staring at it for 6 years trying to make it better, so the fresh perspective is much appreciated!

At this juncture, we'll work on making the mud less, and deal with the driveway when the drain breaks completely.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#37]
It's me - I'm back again. I got some great help in this thread a year or so ago and I'm back with another question. I've started getting patches of this grass (I hope it's grass and not a weed ) in my lawn - it's the lower patch in this picture:

Attachment Attached File

Distinctly different from the other grass and seems to be very matted and what to lay down:

Attachment Attached File

Here is what it looks like when you "fluff" it up:

Attachment Attached File

Any thoughts, landscape gurus? Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Okay first...what is your normal turfgrass?

Second...the new grass is pushed over so far and flat that it's hard to tell from the pic.  So...

Go out there, pick ONE grass plant...pick a blade/stem, and follow it CAREFULLY all the way to the ground.  Feel around down there and find the whole "plant"--which may contain many leaves.  Use both hands and push the other grass back until you can get to ONE grass plant.  Then grab it at the absolute ground level.  NO HIGHER.   Grab the WHOLE THING.  And see if you can gently pull it up,.

Then take pictures of that plant.

View Quote
Thanks! OK - here goes - hopefully this is good enough.

Here's the normal grass that's in the yard:

Attachment Attached File

and here's the species that is invading:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#44]
The other rose thread has motivated me to look deeper into the proper care and pruning of roses. I know nothing about them but I'll learn enough to keep them alive. Here is the late summer overgrown hedge of roses off our back deck. I've had to pull a few because they've grown over some of the valve boxes I need access to. I'll replant with some low growing ground cover or just a weed block and rock. The ones I didn't pull I've trimmed back to about 18". I don't think I should have gone that far, now that I've read a little. I'll see next spring how they do in the winter.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Out front I've trimmed a lot of them back to a more manageable hedge with the trimmers and they look a lot better. I think this is the direction I'll go with the roses in back, as well as the ones along the front fence line.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Today I'm going to fire up the hedge trimmer and get these things down to a manageable size. I'm still learning about the plants. Some of these giant plants I left unattended all summer just to see what they do. they do nothing, no flowers, no bees, just a fast growing bush of some sort. Oh well at least it's green. First a pic of early spring and how much they were trimmed back by the previous owner. And then what they look like now. The stems turn a dark red in the winter so they do offer some color. If I'm correct it's some kind of Dogwood.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I also have no idea what this thing is

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Wow that's a ton of good info there. Regarding the hedge trimmers, I think you are spot on. I use them more than I should. Most of the time it's because it interfere's with the mower or sprinklers and once I start I do try to "shape" it. Apparently not correctly. Thanks for the nuggets.

After using the hedge trimmers on the roses I can see how much it butchers the plant. I know roses are more susceptible to disease so I'll have to rethink that. I guess me and thorns will become one.

It's funny you mention yew. We also have a bunch of that and they were all trimmed into "gumballs" and I hate it. Unfortunately there are a lot of sprinkler heads buried inside the yew so then someone thought it would be good to put all the sprinklers on 24" risers. Then it looks like some of them may have died off, got squeezed out, or simply pulled so there is no hedge where it looks like there used to be a plan for a hedge.

Yes we have a lot of gumballs. I'll figure out a plan to make it looks less gumbally.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top