BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@watercat

I saw some other photos of the shed area, and the slope in your back yard (in a thread in DIY).

It's not nearly as sloped as I though it might be.

I think I would still consider checking whether there is adequate drainage by that side of the house, carrying the water AWAY from the foundation.  But I would not imagine that you would need more tiles (even if you need that) unless the area is incredibly poorly drained, and you would know that by now.

Take pics if you can, when you cut that corner down and get some of that dirt out of there.  And let us know how it works when you get some good rains.  I bet the removal of the sniper perch shed, and the removal of any "hump" that's by the driveway, will do what you need.
View Quote
Thank you Kitties! I haven't replied because we haven't actually worked any on it yet.  Stuff happened and we haven't had time. 

It's really hard to get a picture of a slope, especially when it is (1) gradual and (2) changes slope midway through the yard. I took a bunch of pictures trying to get it. I don't *think* water pools along the foundation of the house/garage, although I'll admit that I haven't walked back there during or after a really heavy rain to check. At the edge of the yard/driveway interface there is some sort of old-to-ancient drain that routes water around the perimeter of the house and exits towards the base of the driveway. I'm assuming that's the drain tile you say would be helpful. I can't get a picture of it because there isn't really anything to photograph - it's a little strip in the driveway and a hidden PVC exit pipe. We have no clue how it works, and hiring a company to scope it for us isn't high on our priority list since it still generally works with minimal maintenance from us. 

The plan, when we get to it, is to do as you suggested about grading the dirt to try and prevent ponding. You're right about the little shed dumping water onto the area that drains into the garden we had problems with. We do intend to get rid of it, when my dad and uncles can coordinate and come get it. I'm hoping that we can at least get the grading done this fall so we can see what happens when it rains during the fall, before we can sod it in the spring. 

(On a side question, can we in north Texas lay sod in early February, successfully? In Houston, we did sod in January and it took off fantastically, but Houston doesn't freeze...)
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@Joemama  

Post above...question at bottom about sod in North Tejas.

Watercat, if it's working, you're right to not mess with it.  If you see water coming out of it when it rains, and it's not soggy by your foundation, you have what you need.  But that is something to check for.  Over years, a drain CAN fill up, and result in damage to the foundation.  So if you start seeing soggy against the house in a rainy season, pay attention.  

Note:  I'm not talking about those times it comes what some of the  old folks in certain parts of the county here would call a "Goose Drownder"  (Yes, that's right.  Not a goose drowner, but a goose DROWNDER, with a D)  when rain is pouring over the edges of the gutters and there is water everywhere.  Most drains can't keep up with that even in perfect condition.  But if you get a day or two of rain, go out there, and it's mushy right up against your house, you should pay attention to that.  So just notice it every year or two.  

It's a good excuse to go out in a nice, warm rain and splash in the puddles and remember what it felt like to be a kid, too.  We don't do nearly enough of that.  At least I don't.
View Quote
We'll do that the next time it really rains. I took the toddler out in the rain for the first time this summer once he learned how to walk and it was a lot of adorable fun watching him. 
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag for later.  some good stuff here.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 11:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
We have a great long growing season.  However that also manifests itself in the huge amount of trimming and maintenance on the greenery around the house.  Rosebushes all around the house cut back from 7' back to 3 feet just like we did last year.  The crepe myrtles got cut way back and trimmed way up.  Had to take the dead top out of a juniper that frames the entrance to the house - it was succumbing to the same bug that killed two other evergreens in my yard.  Hopefully the BT spray my neighbor offered takes care of the problem.  The trimmings were clipped and compacted but still took up six full cardboard boxes which were big enough to fit dining room chairs.  I haven't gotten to the fruit trees that we planted early this year yet as I am waiting for a freeze to kill the leaves first.

There is one tree or bush I am unable to identify, and was hoping someone here could help me out.  It is badly unkempt and doesn't appear to have been pruned before.  I am hopeful it is some sort of mast producing tree.   Height is about 5-6 foot.  Location is north central TX if that helps.  Sorry about the ipotato.

tree

leaves
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#8]
No maam. Nothing of the sort.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Hi,
I'm wanting to create several raised beds for blooming pollinator plants. Some of these plants may be started from seeds and others from potted plants. The planter boxes will have full sun so moisture control is a concern initially.

What is good height for the side walls? Is there any health concerns about using pressure treated lumber verses cedar? Do you recommend placing a weed cloth/barrier down before adding the grow materials? If so, which one? Any other suggestions would be helpful...

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 11:59:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bumpity Bump Bump.

It's about that time.
View Quote
I still have trees to cut down before the ground thaws out!

I will be coming here for some advice on varieties and how to arrange some things. Want to do things a bit more 'by the book' this time around instead of shooting from the hip. Probably save time/aggravation, money? later on down the line.

And now the Excursion just broke down today. Sounds like about $500 in parts to rebuild the front end . Lost the hub. Since I'm going to be in there, it will get both hubs, u joints, ball joints, axle seals, maybe fix whatever is making the steering loose....
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#17]
The topo is kind of crappy, but the hill I'm going to want to terrace on will be about a 20 ft total drop, but I may not use all of it.

I'll have to work on surveying it myself at some point here.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:55:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Twenty feet over how much distance?
View Quote
30-40ft maybe in one spot?

I need to break out the survey stuff
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
*whistles*

That's a drop.
View Quote
Yeah, this side of the ridge can have some steep hills.

Glacial action run amok.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 1:50:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bump.

Anybody got immediate needs coming into spring landscaping season?
View Quote
Yes, but I don't even know where to start.

I'll draw up what I've got now, what Im planning, and would love to hear your ideas if you don't mind.

Looking to do a mix of edibles and ornamental.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 8:09:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Will do! Thanks for the help.

Probably won't be until tomorrow. My 3 yo daughter had eye surgery today, so it's been a long one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Have new house build, moved in last Oct.
House sits in approx 3 acre old farm field in edge of woods.
Put in lawn last fall, approx 20-25 ft all around house and barn.
Used "eco-lawn" fine fescues, seems to be doing real well so far.
1) any experience with just fine fescues?
rest of field is going to be native grasses and forbs, think prairie.
.6 acres is already going, has one summer growth on it.
the rest approx 2 acres will be seeded this may/june and covered with straw to keep moisture in and erosion down.
2) any words of wisdom with native grasses and forbs?
Need to add plants around house itself.
Talked to several landscape designers.
Very disappointing. Only one took a good look at place, took pictures, asked questions.
3)Why do all landscape designer and garden centers only seem knowledgeable on cultivars and hybrids?
No knowledge on native plants, better for pollinators, birds and wildlife.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Also mixed small white clover with grass/fescues.
Seemed like a good idea, they kind of complement each other.
Any thoughts on that?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Here  you go Kitties

Looking at house to the east, from west side of field where driveway meets field, exits woods.

Looking to the west from second story window, you can see driveway where it passes from woods to field,.

looking at south east corner of house.

Looking at north east corner of house.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#35]

view from 2nd story west window looking to north west
3 white tree protectors for apple/crab apple trees.
the entire field here will be "native grasses/forbs"

View from 2nd story east window looking to south east.
my property ends at fence line, other side of fence line is neighbors mowed ATV trail, past that is pine plantation/field.

You can see planted yard grass curving up from right side just past roof edge. From yard grass to fence line will be native grasses/forbs.

Looking to south from 2nd story dormer windows.
at lower left corner you can see edge of yard grass, rest of this field is going to be native grasses/forbs
You can see at edge of snow approx 20 apple/crab apple trees. The green stripe going left to right in the middle of the field is south edge of septic feild. Septic field is relatively flat then drops of about 3 ft and heads down hill again all the way to old rock wall and the woods on the far side.

this is view from south woods looking north at house, you can see apple/crab apple trees and that the house is up hill from where picture is taken.

House is approx 125 ft from woods on west side (left in picture) and approx 75 ft from fence line on east side (right in picture).
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#36]

here is picture looking south from where driveway exits woods and enters field.
Divider of woods/field is stone wall I made a couple of years ago.
Hard to see but at end of snow is an old massive rock wall that divides field from woods on south side
Again this whole area will be native grasses/forbs.

Plan for native grasses is north and east side will be tall grasses and forbs (6-8 ft tall)
west side will be short grasses/forbs (3-4 ft tall) and from house south to south side of septic field will be short grass and from there the rest of the way to the woods (approx 80-90 ft) will be tall grasses.

On the entire east side of rock wall will be a walking trail (approx 4 ft wide),  this trail will be around entire field, so there will be a walking trail that divides the prairie from the woods. There will also be trails that wind thru middle of prairie.

this is view from north looking south to house. The top of this hill/field is the previously planted prairie.

This is view of south side of house looking west. Shows the existing gravel/rock we put around house (for drainage and weed prevention) and existing yard grass. We want to plant landscaping shrubs/flowers  between the gravel and the yard in a strip of mulched ( with bark). strip of gravel/rock is approx 3 ft with bump outs for downspouts.

Here  is view of front porch on west side of house. Gravel/rock is only 1 ft wide here. We are planing on a narrow strip of perrenials in fronnt of porch. would like to keep them so they are maybe just above top of porch (approx 20 inches high).

Yard grass is about 25 ft out from edge of house. After planting bushes/flowers it'll be less.
Also I'm planning on putting in 3) raised gardens (3ft x 12ft) on south edge of lawn running east to west. Will put down approx 3 ft of mulch all around raised beds. Raised bed areas with mulch will take away from native grass/forb area.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#37]
to give you idea on size of field its 250 ft east to west x about 900 ft north to south.
House is located so that it can't be seen from road. driveway goes thru approx 900 ft of woods till it hits fields. When I bought the place the field was an old farm field that had not been used in approx 20 years. So it was over grown with lots of box elder and ash, mostly canada golden rod. Some buckthorn and multiflora rose which I cut and cleared all of it.

Woods are typical northern hardwoods, sugar maple, red and white oak, lots of shag bark hickory, Black Cherry, Aspen, some beech, bitternut hickory and a few elm, red maple. Not really lots of under growth in most areas. But what there is is usually gray dogwood, hazelnut, ironwood and forbs.
Lots of woodland flowers in spring, bloodroot, wild geranium, triliums, poke milkweed that sort of stuff.

I would like to hear your thoughts on landscaping around house.
Your comment on a smooth edge from native grasses to woods is not of concern as it will be trail and rock walls for the most part. It did make me think of edge from yard to native grasses. I have thought of a good blend between those 2 and I can't come up with any thing.

Around the house we would like to keep bushes shrubs no taller than 6 ft on south side (bottom of windows) and about 3-4 ft on the rest of the house.

General ideas and dos and don'ts are helpful.
If you want more infor pictures let me know.
House is not on google earth yet.

Thanks much, any words of wisdom are always appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I just got through having several thousand dollars worth of sewer work done and now my front yard looks like a WWI battlefield, only without the barbed wire and mustard gas.  The worst part is that when they filled in the hole, any topsoil I had is at the bottom, and all I have in my front yard is clay and (eventually) weeds.

I spoke to my local dirt source, and they sent a guy out that said I need $500 worth of "shredded" dirt and $500 worth of work, but since I more or less have to start from scratch, I am open to suggestions...

The plumbers said that they weren't landscapers or concrete guys, and they weren't kidding.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Great thread. I have been trying to figure out what to do with my landscaping.  I had the concrete guys tear out the nasty mess of bushes that were there when I bought the house, and I haven't figured out what to do since. Simple planter(s) along the edge of the walk and possibly the yard.  minimal maintenance. Don't know anything about design and plants though. Any helpful hints or advice would be great.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Couple feet elevation change down to the sidewalk
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#41]
And the back patio area of the deck and behind the garage. Ash tree is coming out and need to decide what all to do.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Questions:

1-On the front, you said, "simple planters, low maintenance...."  etc.

a-Are you saying you want NO in-ground landscaping in front? Should have said planting beds. Was thinking in ground. Open to options

b-how "deep" is that front yard?  I mean how far is it from the sidewalk to the edge of the front porch?   25ft about

c-How deep is the porch from outside edge to front door?4 ft

d-It looks like the columns go from the porch up to the roof, spanning two stories.  Is this correct? 1.5 stories, house is split level

2-In the back...

a- why is the ash tree coming out?  Is it sick? not sure, ash borer is in the area though. Branches are a mess and seems to be losing some more recently. An opportunity came up to get it out of there by trading off some stuff so I took it.

b-Were those pavers there, and you took them up? Do you have plans for those? Yes they were. around the tree and everything. Started taking the ones out around the tree, but didn't pull any more so it wouldn't become a muddy mess. No real plans for them.

c-What do you want to use that space for?  is that going to be the outside entertaining area?    Tell me what you want to do back there.  I had thought about outside entertaining space. Possibly a place for a non-permanent fire pit, I think that would add the most value and appeal. Otherwise just more yard and keep a walkway to the garage.

ETA:  d--how long have you been in this house?  Did you just move here?  have you seen what comes up in/around the yard through a full season?  I'm looking at that curious mound of dirt in the middle of that back "patio" area.  I'm wondering if that's a bunch of cool flowers that are not up yet.  You're in a colder climate, so everything you have will be way behind what I have here.been here 9 years, the curious mound of dirt is exactly that LOL. Dirt/sod I dumped there last fall. More limestone under that area. I have zero plants or flowers anywhere in the landscaping.

ETA2:  I love the color of your siding and the columns.  Is this a split level?  The windows at front porch level are throwing me.  Thank you. I had all that done a couple of years ago. House is a split level.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Okay I have a design in mind for you that I think would complement the formal, symmetrical lines of your house and show off those lovely columns and front door.

The back will be a little harder, but not troublesome.  I hate that you're losing the tree.  That's a nice asset. there is a maple in the backyard as well. Shades the deck/patio area in the aftenoon

Is that door coming out to the pavers --is that the garage? yes, garage access door

Where is the kitchen door?  Off the deck? slider on the deck coming off the dining room

Any plans to expand the deck at all?  Do you store stuff under it? no plans to expand the deck - I have crap under it now, but plans to clean it out and finish the lathe around the bottom. Side facing the golf coarse is done. Not opposed to plantings around the deck.

Is there currently a path around the side of the house to the back from the front? No path

Do you want plantings down the sides of the house?Wouldn't be opposed to them.

What capabilities do you have, and what would you have to hire out?  (Basically what are you willing to do/plan to do and how hard are you willing to work? ) Willing to put in the work. I'm handy enough to do the work, just need some help with the designs.

What was there before that you thought was ugly? Only landscaping ever was some unkempt overgrown bush (juniper?) along the entire front that completely blocked everything off.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 12:39:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Your property is lovely, and I really like the choices you made with your house.  It's gorgeous.  I love the red.  In winter, that will look like a postcard.

If I were doing the prairie grass thing, I would do a transition strip of shorter grasses between my yard and the taller grasses/forbs in all places where the tall ones are going.  In my experience, being at the edge of a yard with the taller grasses and herbaceous plants right beside me, is that it's a little "too close" and I'd rather have a buffer zone that eases me into it, both visually and physically when I'm walking through. (does that make sense?)  it feels less like a wall and more like a natural transition.

Nature does natural, curving transitions.  You''ve done great with the curves.

Now I have some questions...

1-What do you want for your back yard.  How do you plan to use that?  As a patio?  Will there be a deck?  Is that an entertaining space?  A play yard for kids, complete with equipment?

If you can take Google earth and draw your house on it (just a square will do), with outbuilding and the other structures, that would be really helpful for offering specifics rather than just generalities.  Don't know if that's possible for you.

Here is picture of back of house looking south west., patio area can be seen. No deck, not party people, just a couple of friends now and then. Grilling out, table and chairs. Kids are all adults, no equipment. I have a drwing of house in field, will see if I can post it here.

2-Do you want shade?  any sizeable trees close to house

No, not really, wife does not want trees close to house (no raking of leaves). Shade will be sitting on either east or west side of house. Patio is on east side so shaded in afternoon when grilling out. Porch on west side so there is only sun on it for a little while in late afternoon. Once sun drops behind trees its shaded in evening. Will sit out on porch with wife and drink a cold beverage in the evening.

3-Tell me how you envision using these spaces.  What is your everyday life like in this new home?  Do you like long views across the yard?  Or do you like avenues of longer view, mixed with groupings of plantings that lend a cozier, more intimate feeling to the area around your house?  If you're not clear by what I mean when I talk in these abstract ideas, just holler.  I'll find examples.

enjoy walks around woods and prairies, looking at plants, animals, wildlife. Yes we like the "long" views. right around house we do not want obstructions when looking out windows. I guess we kind of envision the landscaping around yard to soften the house and make it look like it fits in, not just dropped in like it does now.

When I look out at that space, from both the ground at your house and from the upstairs windows, my tendency is to want to soften the edges of the prairie grass/lawn transitions with a few groupings of small trees.  Like maybe an evergreen or two and a dogwood or redbud against them.   I also think a transition at the sides of the driveway where it exits the woods might be nice.

BUT....I need to know how YOU see your property, what YOU think is beautiful, and when you're lying in your hammock on warm spring afternoons a few years from now, what you'd like to see, where that hammock will be, and what your ideal property will look like.  Make sense?

I have thought about the edge between the native grass and the yard. I could use short grass seeds as a transition to the tall grass. Another thing to keep in mind is the lawn is fine fescues, only grow 6" per year, don't have to mow, plan on leaving it a long flowing grass. Not a traditional lawn. Here is limk to grass type
https://www.prairiemoon.com/eco-grass-low-maintenance-lawn-alternative.html
you can see that I think it does blend well into taller grasses/forbs. another thing is even the taller stuff has most of the leaves/body of the plant lower down, top is usually stalk of flower heads. Don't know if it'll be OK, thought of the strict border does concern me.
I'm not a fan of "orderly" gardens or a well manicured look, like a wild native look. But around house needs to be somewhat less wild (wife's orders). Maybe some certain prairie plants at the transition from lawn to native area. I guess I could do some low bushes in areas. Clusters of them?
I don't know what the prairie you see is like but I would say its not a solid looking thing, solid green at the bottom but as you increase in height above ground  the plants tend to thin out, you end up with a thining of plants till they stop and the sky/background takes over.

ETA:  Basically I would want to maintain many views of the woods from all vantage points, but intersperse those views with some closer groups of plantings  here and there.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 12:49:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Kitties, drawing of house in field,

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top