Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Hello,

The landscape beds around the front of our house became infested with
weeds at the end of last year.

What is the best way to eliminate now and keep from coming back?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Hello,

Cincinnati, Ohio area.
Not planning on anything from seed.
There is a Dogwood that my wife wants to keep.

ThanksAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 6:40:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Good Morning,

Yes, we want to get rid of the woody plants and prepare the area for mulch
and additional plants.

Thanks again for doing this.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Last set of questions (maybe) for @L45

Okey Dokey...
I have this plan in my head, and the more I learn about you and what you want/how you want to live, the better the plan gets.  

PLEASE forgive me for the ton of questions.  I’m not there to get to know you, talk to you in person, get a FEEL for who you are, how you want to live, and I can’t walk around your landscape and see its potential in person.  Your photos and my questions are the way I have to do that.  I know it’s a pain for you to keep answering and posting.

That said….this MAY be the last round of questions.  Everything in my head is working so far. BUT…

PRE-question:  Is this house a split level?????Yes.
(I ask because the bedrooms are on the ground floor, and that usually means split level.  That might mean a difference in how you use your indoor-meets-outdoor space.)

Okay so here we go…

1-One thing you will notice about all the photos you picked out in the earlier post, is that the yard is nice.  It's green, largely weed-free and well kept.  One of the things people forget when they look at photos of nice gardens and beautiful homes is that the lawn is the "frame" for the scene you're creating.  The green space adds a luxury to a landscape that is hard to get any other way.  

So...when we design your yard, you will have LESS lawn space, because we will be putting some hardscape, family areas and plantings in there to surround and set off the areas you want to enjoy.  However to get what I think you want, you will need to commit to lawn care--either having it treated, or doing that yourself.  It's not too onerous to do for yourself once you get it going, and you could begin that immediately.  It's a good time of year to get started.    You already have irrigation, so you are WAY ahead of most people.  HOWEVER…you may just freaking HATE lawn care.  And if that’s the case, we have to address that.  If you want beautiful, you have to either do it, or hire somebody.  I’m going to reduce the square footage you need to maintain, so that might be some help when you think about paying a lawn treatment service.

How are you with that? I am used to lawn care. I don't particularly enjoy it, but I am okay with doing yard work.

2-What kind of soil do you have?  Is it dry and sandy?  Clay?  Any wet spots that don't drain well?  You had any experience with things that “just won’t grow” for you?  Tell me about that. Clay mixed with gravel. The patchy grass and weeds grow pretty well. The septic line from the tank running downhill needs more fill and reseed.

3-Anything buried in your yard that I need to know about? Septic?  Lateral lines?  Cable or electrical, gas, etc?  Only septic tank, septic line out to drain field, and sprinkler lines. Nothing else.
Here's what I see.  
http://www.fototime.com/D50EEF09F822771/standard.jpg

Those pink dots I will ask about in a minute.  But do I have the septic tank anywhere near correct?  yes.

Your "drain line" goes out past the treeline.  Does that mean there is no lateral field in your actual yard? yes.

Where are the sprinkler heads? (If you haven’t used the system and haven’t turned it on for the year (guessing you would not have where you live)  that’s okay.  But if I put a landscape feature on top of one, do you have the know-how to move it and/or extend it somewhere else, and/or change the head for a different one for, say, a flower bed or something?  Or will that cause you big trouble? I have located sprinklers and have the ability to make changes to the lines/heads.

4-Are the pavers around your fire pit set in concrete?  Looks like they are really tightly placed (good job!) but you have that little plastic edging around it, so I’m unsure how it’s put together. Flag stones are set in elastomeric sand, the plastic edging was border that I used and didn't get pulled up :)

5-In an earlier question and answer, I said:
“That patio area under the deck...why does that not get used much? (or is it just the yard beyond, by the wall, that doesn't get used?) What's inside those sliders under the deck? (what room of the house?)” It is a storage room and guest room when we have company. The room is just not used during the course of the day unless we have guests which is often in the summer.

And you said:  “Guest bedroom and storage. It's just not easy to get to from the deck or from the slider at the hot tub. It's also a pain to mow and weed wack in that area.”

Question…why is it a pain to mow and trim in that area?  ….. the angle along the patio and the retaining wall makes a 90 degree angle. Hard to mow with the riding mower. Weed wacking makes a mess under the deck. The deck above is not solid, so rain/snowmelt drips down to below patio area.

Along with that question…I’m gonna go a little esoteric and new agey on you here with my language, so forgive me. I just don’t have better language than this to describe it….I’m getting the sense that you don’t like the feeling in that area—that maybe it’s sort of “stagnant” and doesn’t feel good when you’re over there?(I have areas of my yard that are this way for me. I just don’t like to go over there.)  I extrapolated that from your statements about it above, and the fact that you want a water feature there—moving water/moving energy—to brighten it.  Okay that’s the end of the new agey language.  Am I anywhere near right?  Trying to make sure I understand what that area feels like to you.  In the photos it looks sort of like a dead corner that just doesn’t have a use so you stack chairs there. that could be accurate. It is usually shaded, cool, and even damp. The space doesn't have a great "feel" but I don't subscribe to the new-ager stuff per-se. We store outdoor chairs under the nook because it is solid and dry under there. Also, the house heat pump is under the nook as well.

I have a use in mind for it, but trying to make sure I’m not way off base.

3-That same patio area….how high is the “ceiling” when you’re under there? 9 feet

What is the room above it…the octagonal part of your house?  By chance, is that a kitchen/dining nook area? kitchen/dining nook

4-If not, where is the kitchen?

5-Is there access to the back yard from the deck? I can’t see it in the photos if it’s there.   If not, why?  And if not, are you willing or able to add a small gate/opening and  build some steps? I think access to the back yard from your deck is going to be one of the main keys to making your whole outdoor living space come together into a “whole.”

So if we can't have that, I need to know it now. It will affect your design.
access from deck is not direct. Currently have to go through side garden/dog run, then through gate to get to upper part of back yard (adjacent to the retaining wall.) I am not opposed to adding stairs for direct access. In fact, I was thinking that building stairs down direct from the deck would be a great idea!

6-Okay aside from the bears and other wildlife…..Is there a reason you grill on the front driveway instead of the deck?

Listen…I don’t live where bears live (raccoons and possums are small potatoes), so please tell me if NOBODY in your world has any kind of outdoor kitchen with a grill that does not get brought inside at night.   This is not my world, so If that’s not even POSSIBLE, please explain how it works and I will take that into account.
This is most direct to kitchen without having to go up and down interior stairs. We have used grill on deck before, but aren't able to store it inside which is a must as the grills don't last long if left out in the rain/snow/sun.

Here's how I'm seeing it:

You are going to have this amazing space in the back, and you said a great time would be cooking over the fire pit/dutch oven/etc.  But it would seem natural to ALSO have the grilling area be a part of that same “this is our downtime” space, with an area devoted to that, so that cooking and eating the food would all be part of the “together time” for either friends (guy’s night out in the back yard….will there be a tub of ice with beer or soft drinks? ) or family  (maybe the grandkids would be there and there would be popsicles in the little plug-in freezer cooler, or a pitcher of lemonade on the little “counter” near the firepit) I like where you're going here...:)  

Maybe the grill is in a little shed built into the outdoor space that actually closes and locks so animals can’t get into it? That could work. But it would still be a pain going up and down stairs to get to and fro the kitchen.

Anyway…. (It works well in the “joining landscape elements together” plan, so I need to know if it won’t work for some other reason, like…”I am Genghis Khan of the Grill and  I don’t want anybody near me when I’m plotting world domination/ grilling” or something. ) I like company while I cook, so no biggie if everybody's around :)

7-The rock the chimney is made of…is that the indigenous rock in your area?  If not, what is the natural rock?  I’m going after “what rock can be had at low cost, and what rock costs a lot?”  By this I mean both big rocks and small.  Ideally, the rocks you use in your backyard landscape will match that chimney rock. But if that is brought in from elsewhere and is expensive, it's not worth it.  You should go with a local rock. There will be enough of it that it will work just fine. Chimney stone was imported from the landscape quarry and pretty expensive. I have a little left over, maybe enough for accents, but it is too expensive to use a lot. Also, the flagstones around the fire pit are also imported, they are much cheaper, but I'd like to use local if possible. Local rock is crumbly shale type stone or dark basalt. There is a lot of round river rock on my property as well.

8-What are the trees in the pots?  Are they something you plan to plant in the landscape?  
Yes, we are planning to plant them. 2 Redbud, 2 ornamental cherry, and 3 autumn blaze maple.
9-I thought I had asked this, but I can’t find it….

When friends come over to join you for an evening of “good times” around the fire pit and maybe having a meal together, they park over there in the gravel area by the North end of the house, right?   Do they come THROUGH the house to get to the back yard? (this does not seem likely because they are right there by the back yard already).  Or do they just walk down the little slope into the back yard? Yes, that is parking area. Most people come through the house, drop off food in kitchen, then head downstairs to back yard. I would like an actual walkway from the parking that went directly down to the backyard.

10-Flash forward into the future in your “best of times” vision as I understand it…

So…it’s late spring/early summer. Maybe Memorial Day weekend.  People you love are over for a gathering..the adults and old folks  are cooking around the fire pit. Maybe earlier in the day you had a target set up on the west side of the tree line, and y’all were shooting and teaching the kids to shoot.

But NOW...the sun has set.  The kids of friends and your grandkids are running around the yard playing tag. (do kids even play tag anymore? Or do they just screw around on their iphones? )

Anyway in my vision, there are happy shrieks and laughter. “Moooooom, can I have another cupcake?”  Maybe they’re playing badminton, chasing lightning bugs, and eating watermelon.  Maybe they're spitting seeds, trying to spit seeds as far as YOU can.  The teenagers are splashing in and out of the hot tub  “Moooooom, will you make him(the kid brother) stop putting bugs in my hair?” (By this point there might be a rustic, heavy-beamed play/swing set in the lawn area for the little ones “Moooooom!  Look how high I can go!”)  

On the other hand, maybe the ladies are all over at the patio table, having wine or lemonade or tea, maybe playing rummy or just chatting…just a girl’s night out, and this night, the men are in charge of the kids.

Either way….Where is the closest bathroom everybody will use? (Which set of sliding doors) and Where do the kids change into swimsuits, and come in and out of the house to get to the hot tub?) Downstairs bathroom is where changing/potty would happen. The traffic would go through the slider next to the hot tub under the future pergola. Your descriptions and writing is great. btw! The pictures you describe make me smile :)

Think about the comings and goings of any “gathering” of people you love at your home.  How does it move NOW?  We will talk about how it could move differently if your yard was set up for your best life (maybe, cuz we are not adding bathrooms) later.

But that all goes into the plan, because any home should be the place where these best times happen. I grew up with 30 people at holidays and one bathroom, and it worked out fine. (NOW I realize a lot of the guys were probably watering a lot of trees, but when I was little, I did not realize that.) Those times are what home is about, and when I think about your landscape, I want to know how you see those times happening in your yard. We are very casual, easy going, laid back people. We don't get worked up about a lot of things and we like to enjoy simple things with friends and family. We play music, sing songs, kick and catch balls, shoot bows into hay bales (gun shooting' is out behind the shop ;) We like to have a glass of wine while the suns going down and the day is cooling down. We like to talk around the fire at night and tell stories. Just real casual and easy going. I hope that helps you frame a picture :)

11-I feel like I’ve misunderstood something I asked earlier..

It’s only 20’ from the “water feature” retaining wall to the firepit? Your house looks bigger than that in the photos.   Tell me again…the measurement from the hot tub to the fire pit, and from the “water feature” wall to the fire pit.  Just to make sure I've got it right. Sorry about that! Hot tub to fire pit: 20'. "Water feature" to fire pit about 80'

12-I need one more set of pics.

Stand on the pink dots...take photos of the house--let me see the area under the octagonal bit by the deck, and how that part meets the rest of the concrete patio.
(That #3 pink dot is up in the yard beyond the retaining wall. My photo editing skills are not great.)

http://www.fototime.com/D50EEF09F822771/standard.jpg

ALSO...Stand at the retaining wall by the hot tub and take a pic of the area between that small retaining wall and the parking area.  I need to see how steep it is and how far it is from parking to the back yard proper. I will update with photos tomorrow :) Attachment Attached File

13-How big is the hot tub? (I mean is it 8' X 8'?  Or what?)  I need to know this when I start to draw. 8x8
Hope this helps! Excited to see what you're cooking up!
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#9]
My turn to pick Arfcom's landscape experts brains.

Moved into my house two years ago. House is located on the side of a hill in SE PA. As you can see by the pics, there's quite a slope along the side of the house. Problem I'm having is erosion. A decent rain will wash the soil out and deposit it on the walkway. The pic was taken last month, before cleanup and laying down of mulch. Any recommendations on the best way to minimize the erosion.

First pic. Upper side of the house is to the right, where the driveway in. Left side is where the walkway is and where all the eroded soil ends up. Its not terrible erosion, but over a period of two years it adds up

Better pic indicating the slope.

Last two pic. The landscape rock will give you a feel for much erosion took place over a 2 year period...The soil erodes unearthing all those lovely SE PA rocks..

I have no issues bring in a bunch of fill to replace it and making a nice even, gentle slope (as it was), but I just need to know if there's anything I can do to keep it there. Curious if it would be better to take everything out except the trees and just laying down grass seed..

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for some incredible information! I'm not beyond doing as much grunt work as necessary in order to get this done. I'm enclosing a few pics with some MsPaint in them to further explain where I believe the water is coming from, which is exactly the way you mentioned in your reply. Its obvious you've got a good eye and quite a bit of experience as I think you nailed it.. Roof water drainage is a non issue. All the gutters empty into underground piping that daylights approximately 20-30 feet into the back yard.

Here is the google maps view. The area outlined in red is the garden bed in question. The driveway leading to the house is also sloped downward towards the house. Consider the street to be at the top of the hill and the driveway slopes down towards the house, which is on the slope of the hill. The driveway is crowned in such a way that the overwhelming majority of the water follows the route in green. The water runs along the green line, past the house and empties harmlessly onto the grass. The yellow line denotes where I believe the issue is (and is consistent with your beliefs stated above). Some water runoff travles along the yellow line and deposits itself right where the garden edge meets the lawn. (More on that in a few pics)

In this pic, the yellow line is a continuation of where I believe the water flows, which happens to be consistent with what you posted. . The red dot is a drain designed to collect the water (Pics of drain to follow)

This pic is taken from the driveway looking towards the house and to the area in question. I continued the yellow line from the above image (indicating water flow) for reference. The group of rocks located by the alarm security sign seems to bolster my belief that it was placed there to control or slow down the water flow.

This pic is the opposite of the above pic. Looking up the driveway. Yellow and green lines (runoff flow) are there for reference .

Here is a picture of the drain I mentioned. Denoted as the red circle in the second picture.. Again, yellow line is water flow..

And here's a pic of the water basin, looking up toward the garden area in question. Yellow line indicates water flow from the driveway, along the edge of the garden and lawn and into the drain. The yellow arrows indicate what you were talking about (good eye), where the water deviates and causes the most erosion...

Hope these pics paint a clearer picture of what potentially is happening and may allow you to further narrow down your recommendations. Again, I'm not beyond doing the work necessary to remedy the issue. Thank you for all you've said so far. Your advice is greatly appreciated..
Could the solution be as simple as digging a narrow trench along the edge of the garden and lawn from the driveway to the drain (along the yellow line) and filling it with river rock to give the rain water a route to travel directly into the drain? As a side note, I barely noticed (if any) erosion the first summer. Most of this happened this past summer when we had the most rainfall in over 2 decades, and that included several torrential downpours that lasted hours and caused historic flooding, even in areas that were never known to flood...

Here are the pics you requested.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Okay this just got a little easier I think.  Well...the problem got easier to SOLVE, anyay...

So you ARE getting water from up top in the planting bed by the tree, but the MOST water is coming off the driveway.

If this were mine, I would go at it in four steps.

1-I would fix the bulk of the problem by draining that water coming off the driveway and moving it to my advantage.

I would do that in this way..

You're gonna have to move those rocks at the top, because they are keeping your driveway from washing out, but they are not helping the drainage problem itself. So you are going to move them, and USE them.

First, I think you need to do something like this.

http://www.fototime.com/EB3ED5E33B9144D/standard.jpg

That green dot is a surface water catch basin like this one  

I"d go 18 X 18 if I could, because I overbuild stuff like this and if you build it, Mother Nature will try it out and see if she can max it out. (She always can, but anyway...)

The green line is an undergound line taking the water down the hill.  

Here is how I'd do it.

It looks to me like you've essentially got a hole right here--

http://www.fototime.com/612A5340FE3109B/standard.jpg

So....since you've already got timbers as part of your landscaping (that's a big timber beside your driveway, right?)  I'd use timbers like that.  They're cheap, they're durable, and they will work with your existing landscape.

First, drive a rod into the dirt in that area to make sure you won't hit bedrock two inches down or something.  When original owners or builders fudged a solution instead of going for a real one, I always start looking for "why?" and the "why" may be that there was no soil there to move to install the thing.

So let's assume you've got decent depth to work with (you don't need as much as it seems like cuz....there's a hole.

Stack the timbers and build a box.

http://www.fototime.com/3592F29A1A0686C/standard.jpg

Line the box with landscape fabric and back fill it, installing the surface drain basin into it.

Make sure you orient all of it a couple of inches below the driveway level, with a slope down into the catch basin.

Pipe the water from the basin out the back and down the hill.

6" pipe is better than 4"  Just sayin.  More expensive, but....more capacity and fewer issues with clogging, etc.

http://www.fototime.com/096BE606A845381/xlarge.jpg

You can take the drain down the hill to some innocuous place (you will have to rock the termination point with some rip-rap-size rocks at the very least, and still it may wash) or you can take it over toward the existing drain, and make a rock swale to carry it on to it. (that's why my green line has two options). I can explain how to build this rock swale so you can mow around it and it's not a PITA.

Step 2 for me would be to make a dry creekbed coming down the hill beside the flower bed because it looks to me like you STILL will have drainage from the top of the bed and from the grassy area beside it--that's what the yellow arrows are in the photo-- creating its own wash down the edge of the landscape bed.  You will need more than "gravel" because anything that could be called gravel will wash right down that hill no matter what you do.

It will need to be bigger rocks.  Rip-rap size, and you can get pretty ones--like river rocks--that large, and buy them by the ton so it's not so expensive.

I would pause every few feet and shove a big-ass rock in there on one side or the other, just to make it prettier and to make it hold better.  Slow the water down more, right?

Step 3 would be to build the 2-stone high retaining wall (you already sort of have one, it's just not tall enough) backfill and fill that area with liriope and dense grasses.

Okay, tell me what does not make sense.

Honestly you could JUST do the river-rock dry creekbed, but I think it's not enough.  I think you need to divert most of the water, then deal with what remains.

You could do one step at a time, see how it works, then move on to the others as you see the need.

Thoughts?

ETA:  That's a really pretty home and property you have!
View Quote

Sounds like a plan! I;ll do both the basin add dry creek bed. Thankfully, I have a SCUT with a back hoe that will make this a whole lot easier to accomplish. I'm inclined to tie in the termination of the drain pipe into the existing basin located at the bottom next to the walkway. Its either that or I'll have to tear up the paver walkway to route it under as I don't want to daylight the drain pipe to where it may potentially cause issues with the detached garage... Any issues with cutting a hole into the side of the existing basin and routing the 6" drain line directly into it?

One last question regarding the dry creek bed  bordering the the garden and lawn. Any specific depth or width I should dig it? Should I line it with anything before adding river rock?

Can't thank you enough for the help...Its greatly appreciated...
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Answers in RED.

Lemme think on the size. I'm about to ask a question in team, hoping for a civil engineer to get an answer for the property I'm problem solving right now in real life.  My gut says build it OVERALL three feet wide and a foot deep, (that includes shallow edges to deeper center) but give me a bit of time to think on that, too.  I may be going too deep.  It's that tendency to overbuild I have.  In this case, you want adequate, but you don't want to overdo it cuz it's too much work and rock.  

I wish I had a sense of how much water actually comes running down that hill in an ordinary rain.

You will line the whole thing with heavy landscape fabric (geofabric they call it now).  Be sure to tuck this fabric into the little "shelves" I'm suggesting below, tightly, so you don't tear it or stretch it when you pack the stones. I'll link to a video that is a sales tool for a pondless water feature, but it shows the guys building one, tucking fabric in, etc.  YOUR fabric won't be this waterproof (edpm I think they call it) stuff, as you are not intending to contain the water, and some permeability/seepage through the fabric is fine, as long as the seepage is SLOW.  Your goal is to hold the bank, not allow it to wash out under the fabric.  Does that make sense?

ETA:  You CAN use the edpm fabric.  Let me look at the latest fabric and see the longevity.  The real trouble is...none of this stuff lasts forever.  You want the longest-lasting stuff, as you don't wanna do this again cuz yours is a big project and not just for viewing pleasure.  Stand by and let me look at the latest stuff.  

It's very important that you dig little "terraces" (shelves) into this dry creek as you are using the hoe, so you can create sort of a "waterfall" effect as you go downhill because your slope is so steep.  Don't space the terraces out evenly cuz that will make your landscape feel like a plastic kid's play set.  Lay larger rocks in the bottom and at the sides of these terraces, some of them flat if you can, to act as "steps" to slow the water, obstacles to slow the water, etc,  as ANYTHING smaller than your foot will wash down that hill in a big rain.  Or else the dirt will wash out from around the big stone as you so clearly demonstrated in your original photos showcasing the problem.  The terraces don't need to be deep or profound.  Just think, what would water do?  Then think, "how can I slow it down?  Watching a real-live meandering stream running down into a holler (you folks up there know what a "holler" is?) would help you, or videos of other water features with falls.  There's a ton of them on youtube.  You're not going for beautiful. (It will be beautiful anyway though).  Just "slow this water down."  Watching some water move around rocks will teach you about how water acts.

SLOWING The flow down the hill is paramount.   You are actually making the water flow more easily by putting in this creekbed, see? Which seems counterintuitive, because water flows better through rocks than it does across soil.   But you're doing all this with the end result in mind, which is not creating the equivalent of a spillway, with water rushing downhill like crazy, but keeping the rate somewhat reasonable while holding the soil in place and redirecting the water in a way that is advantageous to you.

That means flow, slowdown, flow, slow down, flow, hit something to make it slow down....

Rinse and repeat, all the way to the drain.

Does that make sense?

I will look tonight and next couple of days to see if I can find an image that fits your situation better than what I found before.  The right key words in a search are paramount, and I didn't get them exactly right with those photos above.

Here's the video that shows the people building this "pond-free" waterfall feature.  FWIW, I think waterfalls seeming to come out of a board fence are a little weird, so this is NOT my design sensibility (Some larger landscaping behind it, pulling the feature closer to the patio would make a lot more sense to me, and when the fence rots, which it will, it has ZERO physical involvement with my water feature, but just sayin'.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxMc3wO6BzM

ETA: Forgot to say... When the stream curves, the stream has to get a little wider on the "outside" of the curve, because water doesn't LIKE to slow down to make turns.  And when you ask it to, it builds up a little and tends to a-overflow banks and b-CUT OUT the bank because the water that was moving straight HITS the outside bank head-on, and cuts it out wider.  SO...YOU cut it out wider, and place BIGGER rocks on the outside of the curve.

ETA2:  This next is an excellent video showing an important part of the rock installation--how to set up the flat rocks you use, with big rocks to the sides.   FWIW, I think parts of this look too "man made" because they have too many same-size rocks all in a row at the very sides in some spots.   Don't do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3xPqXD6ncc

ETA3 cuz I can't shut up.  The steeper the slope, the more "drops" you need...so if the view from the bottom walkway is at all realistic (cameras fool the eye with steepness of slope sometimes), you will have more "drops up at the top, then ease off on those as you come down the hill. By the time you get near the bottom, you will have mostly just "stream bed".  I see where would be a really good place to terminate the main pipe just above the bottom drain, and feed that right into the same "stream bed in a "y" shape, with lots of small and large rocks around that drain.  I'll edit one of your photos as soon as I can.

meantime...I've gotta go work on a landscape.
View Quote

Thank you. Understood everything you've posted. The second video was quite helpful... In answer to your one question regarding rainfall amount the answer is the runoff is not that bad during normal rains. This past year we had record fain fall, to include some prolonged downpours that haven't been seen in decades. Lots of insane flooding, to include areas of the County that have never flooded before. Sadly, a few deaths as a result also. That's what I believe caused the bulk of the erosion as I barely saw any my first year living there... One last question based on research I'm doing: Woven or no-woven geotextile? Which would you recommend?
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm researching all the geotextiles right now.  Give me a bit to figure it out based on what I have done in the past, and what is available now.

I haven't done a steep slope in a while, and technology is moving at the speed of light.

I have a steep slope to do like...yesterday, in real life, for my business, and I'm researching for THAT, so I will tell you what I find out, but gotta get the time online and in phone calls to pick the brains of the people I trust about this.

I will say that if the rainfall that caused the most erosion was record rainfall, you could probably go quite a bit smaller for the creekbed.

Sooo...What size is your hoe?  18"?

Or is it bigger?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you. Understood everything you've posted. The second video was quite helpful... In answer to your one question regarding rainfall amount the answer is the runoff is not that bad during normal rains. This past year we had record fain fall, to include some prolonged downpours that haven't been seen in decades. Lots of insane flooding, to include areas of the County that have never flooded before. Sadly, a few deaths as a result also. That's what I believe caused the bulk of the erosion as I barely saw any my first year living there... One last question based on research I'm doing: Woven or no-woven geotextile? Which would you recommend?

I'm researching all the geotextiles right now.  Give me a bit to figure it out based on what I have done in the past, and what is available now.

I haven't done a steep slope in a while, and technology is moving at the speed of light.

I have a steep slope to do like...yesterday, in real life, for my business, and I'm researching for THAT, so I will tell you what I find out, but gotta get the time online and in phone calls to pick the brains of the people I trust about this.

I will say that if the rainfall that caused the most erosion was record rainfall, you could probably go quite a bit smaller for the creekbed.

Sooo...What size is your hoe?  18"?

Or is it bigger?

I have a Kubota BX23s w/ a 12" bucket. Fantastic little machine and that 12" hoe sure beats digging...
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone ever plant hydrangeas before? Trying to figure out if I want to plant quart sized ones and hope they grow quick for $15/ea. Or spend $45-100 on gallon sized ones that are already nice and big? How long do they take to grow from quart sized?
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anyone ever plant hydrangeas before? Trying to figure out if I want to plant quart sized ones and hope they grow quick for $15/ea. Or spend $45-100 on gallon sized ones that are already nice and big? How long do they take to grow from quart sized?
View Quote

Mine grew really fast from quart sized, to the point I pruned them back every year.

They couldn't take the Texas heat and finally died off though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#21]
This is probably a noob question...

I have some oaks that need trimming. Is that pruning spray worth a shit or should I just wait till late fall to trim them up?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In most cases, the pruning spray is not useful.

Can you post pics of the trees so I know what kind, and what needs trimmed?

View Quote

Here's the more concerning in question

I would like do take these 2 limbs as they hang low, very horizontal and over the fence

The second tree:

A few limbs over the house

Thanks!

Edit: fixed pictures
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So that first picture...that horizontal cut that takes half the trunk?

Don't do that.

Let's figure out a better way to do that.

Don't make any cuts that leave a flat surface like that.  Rain will soak into the wood and rot the tree.  Rot equals death.

Can you back off and take another photo and I will help you best I can with cuts to take the limbs you are worried about over the fence?

Let me look tomorrow at the photos of the one over your house.

How far is that tree from the house, and how far over the house do the limbs hang?

View Quote

Poor picture on my part. That horizontal line is at a Y, and would be cut vertically at the Y. I'll set a reminder to take a better picture at home and take a few measurements on tree #2.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Tree #2 from the previous post is roughly 15' from the house. Branches overhang roughly 10'.

Hope these help, it started snowing shortly after. I'll try to get some more if need be tomorrow
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Are they regularly dropping limbs?  Is that why you're concerned?

I notice that you have a LOT of dead wood in those trees.

That needs to come out, and the cuts you're considering aren't going to take care of that.

I'm not sure you can get the dead wood that needs pruned unless you have a bucket and a right fair bit of training so you won't die.

Tell me more about your situation so I understand how to advise?

Cutting out half of a tree is never going to be good for it.  So that's why I'm hesitating to say what I recommend, cuz I feel like I don't understand fully what's going on for you.

I know you don't want limbs falling on your house. But...the whole tree could blow onto your house (or on your fence).  There must be some reason why you feel concerned about those limbs in particular.  If I sound skeptical I don't mean to. I don't feel that way.  I'm just frowning at the photos going, "a lot needs done there but I don't see how those cuts are going to fix it."

Okay does that make sense?
View Quote

Makes sense. That's why I'm asking

My biggest reason behind the low hanging limbs is that in a decent breeze, they swing low enough to smack my head. Learned that this past fall.

In general I want to clean up the trees, I moved into the house October last year. I would rather be proactive about it than reactive.

The tree hanging over the house inst dropping much and isn't a ton of concern to me, but my wife is concerned so I figured I'd ask.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@L45  I'm sorry I haven't done your drawing yet.

I draw the old fashioned way (no Computer Assisted Design) so I have to find the chunk of time to do that since it's not something I can just "answer based on what I already know).

I have not forgotten about you.

View Quote

No problem at all!
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Okay.  

Lemme get some time and I'll use your photos and say how I'd approach it.  I cannot tell by the photos how low the limbs hang.  They will hang lower with leaves on them, too.
View Quote

Take your time and thank you for the help!
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:30:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#36]
@kitties-with-sigs

I can't thank you enough! Thank you, seriously.

So as a matter of fact, I just may be able to do some cuts, take pictures and wait. I have a 10 week little one so getting 4 hours to go to town cutting isn't likely.

As long as the weather is halfway decent I plan on cutting a lot of the garbage that is blocking views in the picture. And if time allows, I'll make some of those cuts we both agree on. And hopefully with some of the brush down it will look more clear.

I'll edit this with some more response when little man goes down for the night and I can get in front of a computer

Edit:
So in the first picture, all the way to the right, that is my neighbors tree. He said it is coming down this year. Regardless, nothing I can do about it.

The second from the right, the furthest at the top. that limb is healthy but a concern of mine. Unfortunately there isnt much I can do with that one on my own.

Third from the right is a cut that looks like it was made years ago. I hope I can reach high enough to cut it back to the Y.

The 3 remaining are all dead, and within what I can do. 1st and 2nd from the left are the same dead limb sitting in the tree. I tried throwing a rope over it and pulling it out with no luck. So i'll be trying to see if I can reach it with the pole saw next.

I'll update when I clear some of the brush out and get those limbs I can get to. Hopefully this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@ReaperWaterfowl

Regarding the brush you're going to clear...

Go to your local Tractor Supply or country hardware store..dunno if Ace has it..

Get some Tordon.

Not from amazon, but this is the link I could get to show the product..

Tordon

Each time you use your loppers or saw to cut down a bit of brush, take the Tordon and drip it onto the cut stump.  It's blue.  Just make sure the blue covers the cut. Don't overdo it.  MORE is NOT better.

It translocates to the roots of the plant and it won't grow back.

BUT...if you put this on a sprout of something you want to live?  You will KILL whatever it is.

Be careful what you do with this stuff. It's powerful.

But all that scrub brush by your trees...if you want it to be gone and not grow back..the way to do that is to cut it, paint the cut with this stuff, and the plant will die.

Use it carefully.

View Quote

I'll check out tractor supply tomorrow. Supposed to get up into the 50's tomorrow so as long as the 4"ish we got last night doesnt muddy things up too much, I'll get some brush clearing done. A lot of it is buckthorn. More inclined to torch it all and start over

Edit:
Little man that's keeping me busy
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Awwww!  

THIS is the reason we want to make our homes safe, healthy and beautiful.

So nice to see he's doing well.
View Quote

@kitties-with-sigs

Thanks, he's a handful! Didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted. Here's an updated picture.

Hoping tomorrow I can get the rest of the lower limb there and clear out some more brush
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So I see the limb at the bottom. You will take it back to the branch collar at the trunk (but not cut into the branch collar) right?

But there's one at the top, too...looks like it's been cut. Unless the image is tricking me, that also needs to come back to the limb below it.

Am I seeing that right?

I know that probably requires climbing and may be a whole nuther issue, even with a pole saw.

http://www.fototime.com/6F840F8CE20B9EF/xlarge.jpg

The tree already looks better. More open.

I think you're doing a great job!

View Quote

That limb at the top is a mirage. Bad angle and bad photography. It's a part of the neighbors dead tree sitting in my tree.

I had to go out and stare at it for a few minutes to figure it out. It was looking like a phantom limb for a second.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I have been enjoying this topic for some time. We purchased a foreclosure in 2018 and it's been an adventure (er...nightmare) to get the house to a point where we can focus on landscaping. We knew it would be a lot of work going in. I know next to nothing about plants / landscaping so I figured I would reach out for some advice. House is located in Annapolis, MD. Faces west. Many tall trees around the cleared area of the 2 acre lot. I ripped out the existing landscaping around the front sidewalk. It was overgrown and lots of dead patches in the bushes. There a probably two dozen azaleas in the front area. Many of them were way overgrown so we cut them back last year. Starting to see flowers for the first time since trimming back (did it at wrong time of year but needed to be done. The front yard slopes slightly away from the house. The photos were taken from the road, just beyond the mulch bed, and up and down the sidewalk. Looking for any advice on plants (low maintenance, perennials preferred--I think). Looking forward to getting the outside in order. Thanks in advance!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#45]
For a little humor....

Earlier in the thread I shared my pruning efforts on some roses in the back yard. My intent was to bring everything down to a manageable size then convert the sprinklers to a drip. The whole flower bed would flood regardless of how long the sprinklers were on. I suspected it was just because all the heads were blocked by poor placement and mature rose bushes. WRONG!

I found two sources of the excess water. One was a broken supply line that was impossible to see through the roses, no big deal. The other sources of the standing water? I present curbing idiocy 101,

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Worse, it's a sprinkler head.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Absolutely! No rush. Looking forward to it! Thank you.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top