BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:38:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You asphyxiate a tree when you pile too much mulch or soil around the base.

Do you think mulch generates too much heat?

What do you think the soil temperature is when it's 100 degrees in full sun on bare soil?

It's freaking hot! I'm looking at it the other way, trying to keep the roots from burning up during those extreme temperature swings.
View Quote
What I posted earlier on mulching was a quick down and dirty on the basics of applying hardwood mulch.  I am now including reference material.  I don't claim to be as polished in my presentation as the UT college guys, but I did hit the high points.  

https://extension.tennessee.edu/publications/documents/sp617.pdf
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the most efficient and cost effective way to keep a border around a small orchard?  7 rows with 6 fruit trees in each.  

I started last year with cardboard and 6 inches of mulch as a weed barrier but the grass is coming over the mulch.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I would love to try this plant, if it won't short you.

Finish your planting first, for certain.

And thank you for that great offer!
View Quote
Done and plenty to spare

Finished planting in a muddy soggy mess yesterday, but it's done.

IM me where you'd like them sent.

If it goes invasive, well - we're making KY green again! 

@Swire - let me know if you'd like some as well, can drop them by if so.  Maybe trade for a tomato if you still have spares!
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Done and plenty to spare

@Swire - let me know if you'd like some as well, can drop them by if so.  Maybe trade for a tomato if you still have spares!
View Quote
Thanks for the tag.  I need to read this thread as well.  I've fallen behind on all things this past week.  I have plenty of tomato plants if you want them regardless.  The rain has pushed off getting them in the ground all last week and weekend.

I will have to look into your plant.  I do could use a tall privacy border.  My brother works for a company that clears out invasive species and has been doing work on Phragmites.  Same type of plant as what you have but a lot more aggressive from the sound of it.  I will ask him about it.  He said the Phragmites will push under asphalt and then the shoots will bust up  through it.  No containing that plant.

More information on that specific problem.
https://www.ksl.com/?sid=36443888&nid=148
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I will need major landscaping help, especially with those stupid black walnut trees surrounding the house.    I am nowhere near to the point of making things pretty though.  Right now I'm just going for not full of weeds and poison ivy. 

However, I do have one small area that I am currently working on.  It is the circle drive where guests would pull up.  We came across the fountain at a great price and grabbed it.  It is 80 plus inches tall and weighs over 1,000 pounds but comes apart in 200+ pound pieces.  I have a solid foundation of compacted stone and 4 inches of concrete under it, with a 3/4 inch conduit running to it for power.  The power hasn't been completed and water hasn't been run out there either.

I was thinking of building what looked like a square garden post but it would actually be a frame with cedar boards so the inside would be hollow.  Then I could mount an external electrical outlet in the hollow space and also run a water line.  Not sure on the water line but I would want a never freeze option so I wouldn't have to worry about draining the line every winter.  Then also lighting on the fountain and possible lighting for the trees.  Not sure if the lights should be shining up or shining down.

The garden is about level with the driveway.  The side of the driveway towards the road might be lowered a bit as I want to level out that whole area and the hill to the road at some point.  The goal would be to turn that area into a jaw dropping master piece that guests would see when they first pull up.  

We have a second build in our minds with the fountain.  A circular base, 6 to 8 feet wide that the fountain would sit in and have the water cascading 3 levels instead of two.  It seems like I should be able to cast/form/build something to do that but I don't have time for it.  We would want to be able to walk to the fountain so adding a stone border and/or raising the bed really isn't something we want to do even though that would really set it apart from everything else.  As you can see around the tulips I was going with a very light colored mulch, actually just plain fine cut wood chips from the property.  That makes the area pop a bit as it is under the shade of two large trees.  

There is also this old paver walkway right next to the house.  I was thinking of either moving it out away from the house a bit, as we have large window boxes that will be going in, or just widening it from 3 feet to 5 feet and redoing it.  It could still use something along the edge to liven it up a bit.  

Obviously the stone needs to be refreshed or concrete poured.  That comes after the whole area is leveled though.

Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What I posted earlier on mulching was a quick down and dirty on the basics of applying hardwood mulch.  I am now including reference material.  I don't claim to be as polished in my presentation as the UT college guys, but I did hit the high points.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You asphyxiate a tree when you pile too much mulch or soil around the base.

Do you think mulch generates too much heat?

What do you think the soil temperature is when it's 100 degrees in full sun on bare soil?

It's freaking hot! I'm looking at it the other way, trying to keep the roots from burning up during those extreme temperature swings.

That article is fine. I was just curious about the mulch generating heat. It shouldn't generate much of anything unless it's composting, at which point, you know it's too thick. The only problem I have with mulch is reworking a bed. If you don't pull it off, it gets worked into the soil. A little isn't bad, but too much and it can eat up your nitrogen, at which point, your plants suffer unless you put nitrogen back in.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You need a division between your property and the neighboring yards.  
View Quote
You mean over grown honeysuckle doesn't count?    That is what I have right now and it sort of works.  City ordinance prohibits any fence over 4 feet tall between the front of the house and the street.  So that is a factor.  Also what can't be seen is that my driveway already sits 18 inches above the neighbors yard.  There is a concrete retaining wall over there and will be a factor in what I can put in. There is about 2 to 3 foot wide "flower bed" over that that I could put something that would provide the break.  Past the front of my house a tall fence is needed.  However, further back there is an old stone fence that is still in place for part of the yard.  On the other side I have a stone fence from the house almost all the way back to the creek.  However, it doesn't provide any privacy or keep people out.  Stone fences, especially if they are used a partial retaining wall, tend to fall over or fall apart.  There is never a simple or easy answer with an old property.

The size of the fountain might not be apparent.  The bottom bowl is almost 4 feet across.  A 6 foot basin would only be 1 foot wider on each side.  The height is 7 feet.  The center area is around 30 feet in diameter.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Kittie, I don't remember if this is neon or brilliant, but its in between buildings  and it's not watered, ever. As a matter of fact, no one remembers when or why it was potted up, it's just always been here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone have experience with artificial grass? I am thinking of using that in lieu of sod, because dog piss.

There are sooooo many brands, anyone have a recommended one?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, I have a 200' wide, give or take 50' at any point, by 2300'+ lot. Nearly all forested except the area between home and road. Completely surrounded by tens of thousands of acres of forest.

I'm basically cutting, clearing, and replanting an acre or two every year. All by hand/pickup truck except for 3-4 days that I rent a construction tractor to move fill around to make driveable paths and move rocks/stumps.

Northern property line gets a line of sugar maple with scattered white oak. I add about a hundred linnear feet of this every year. I'm considering adding small 4-5 tree areas of beech running south of that property line at a right angle to the line every 100 feet or so. I have also made some "clumps" of hazlenut bushes in that manner.

On the southern property line (both long lines are roughly E/W in direction) i have done a few hundred feet of apple x3; plum x3; apple x3; pear x3. Will be adding more apple and some cherry this year.

Between the two property lines I have been planting patches of clover, different types of food plot, various grasses, and some naturally occurring ground cover.

Generally, I'm clearing the whole lot, minus some stands of old hardwoods, some islands of large white pine/spruce, and a couple thick stands of juvenile firs I have cultivated. I want to add some clumps of varied berry bushes (chokecherry, chokeberry, elderberry, etc) and some small 3-5 tree islands of various fruit trees in the middle.

How far should these be from the two lines of trees lining the property lines? Everything is on standard rootstock and most of my new trees to plant start as 1/2 to 1 inch diameter stock.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Done and plenty to spare

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would love to try this plant, if it won't short you.

Finish your planting first, for certain.

And thank you for that great offer!
Done and plenty to spare

Snapped a few pics tonight of the stretch where I planted the grass as well as some other projects on that side of the property.

Panoramic of the grass bed  adjacent to the fence.  The planting is a straight line, the panoramic mode of course makes it look curved.  Runs almost straight east to west and the field in front is due north.

The bed is about 400' long - hard to show distance due to the slope.

Hidden behind the clump of trees in the middle of the photo above is one of two small ponds that have been dry and over grown since we bought the place.  Had a neighbor bring his Cat over and he excavated one of them for me and used the spoils to build a berm off the side.  Pond is holding water so far.  A bit slow to fill given the small watershed area, but going in the right direction.  The area to the right and behind the dog on the far right is the berm built from the spoils.  It runs back from the pond side walls at a 90 degree and hooks around a bit like a comma.  From an aerial perspective the pond and berm would look a bit like a Q.

A pic of the backstop berm dead ahead.  The side wall to the right is backside of the pond.  Scale and slope is deceiving in pictures.  The height is 10' at the lowest and the berm face is extremely steep.  The 2x4 is a 12' and marks the area that I'm planning to enclose with side and overhead covers as well as put a few feet of clean sand on the berm face.  

Lots of work to be done still - and these projects aren't even my main ones... not enough time in the day!
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Awesome that it's holding water!

Help me understand what you're going to do with the berm?

I first thought, backstop for shooting (since this is, you know, AR15.com )  but then you talked about sides and a back and I got lost.  (Not hard to do these days...I'm juggling a lot and am a bit scattered.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snapped a few pics tonight of the stretch where I planted the grass as well as some other projects on that side of the property.

Panoramic of the grass bed  adjacent to the fence.  The planting is a straight line, the panoramic mode of course makes it look curved.  Runs almost straight east to west and the field in front is due north.

The bed is about 400' long - hard to show distance due to the slope.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/grass1-206506.jpg

Hidden behind the clump of trees in the middle of the photo above is one of two small ponds that have been dry and over grown since we bought the place.  Had a neighbor bring his Cat over and he excavated one of them for me and used the spoils to build a berm off the side.  Pond is holding water so far.  A bit slow to fill given the small watershed area, but going in the right direction.  The area to the right and behind the dog on the far right is the berm built from the spoils.  It runs back from the pond side walls at a 90 degree and hooks around a bit like a comma.  From an aerial perspective the pond and berm would look a bit like a Q.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/pond-206507.jpg

A pic of the backstop berm dead ahead.  The side wall to the right is backside of the pond.  Scale and slope is deceiving in pictures.  The height is 10' at the lowest and the berm face is extremely steep.  The 2x4 is a 12' and marks the area that I'm planning to enclose with side and overhead covers as well as put a few feet of clean sand on the berm face.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/berm1-206501.jpg

Lots of work to be done still - and these projects aren't even my main ones... not enough time in the day!
Awesome that it's holding water!

Help me understand what you're going to do with the berm?

I first thought, backstop for shooting (since this is, you know, AR15.com )  but then you talked about sides and a back and I got lost.  (Not hard to do these days...I'm juggling a lot and am a bit scattered.)
I wasn't very clear.  Yes, a range berm.  I plan to enclose it to catch any ricochet  from shooting steel (or a hidden rock!).

Something along the lines of

Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm not ignoring you.  But I'm running pretty hard these next few days.

It will take me a bit to try to sketch this out and try to get a visual idea from the text descriptions.

If you feel like sketching the site plan on a piece of paper and taking a photo, that would be a big help.

If you can't do that, just give me time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, I have a 200' wide, give or take 50' at any point, by 2300'+ lot. Nearly all forested except the area between home and road. Completely surrounded by tens of thousands of acres of forest.

I'm basically cutting, clearing, and replanting an acre or two every year. All by hand/pickup truck except for 3-4 days that I rent a construction tractor to move fill around to make driveable paths and move rocks/stumps.

Northern property line gets a line of sugar maple with scattered white oak. I add about a hundred linnear feet of this every year. I'm considering adding small 4-5 tree areas of beech running south of that property line at a right angle to the line every 100 feet or so. I have also made some "clumps" of hazlenut bushes in that manner.

On the southern property line (both long lines are roughly E/W in direction) i have done a few hundred feet of apple x3; plum x3; apple x3; pear x3. Will be adding more apple and some cherry this year.

Between the two property lines I have been planting patches of clover, different types of food plot, various grasses, and some naturally occurring ground cover.

Generally, I'm clearing the whole lot, minus some stands of old hardwoods, some islands of large white pine/spruce, and a couple thick stands of juvenile firs I have cultivated. I want to add some clumps of varied berry bushes (chokecherry, chokeberry, elderberry, etc) and some small 3-5 tree islands of various fruit trees in the middle.

How far should these be from the two lines of trees lining the property lines? Everything is on standard rootstock and most of my new trees to plant start as 1/2 to 1 inch diameter stock.
I'm not ignoring you.  But I'm running pretty hard these next few days.

It will take me a bit to try to sketch this out and try to get a visual idea from the text descriptions.

If you feel like sketching the site plan on a piece of paper and taking a photo, that would be a big help.

If you can't do that, just give me time.
No worries at all. Its not going anywhere! Pretty much a rectangle, a little more than ten times as long as it is wide. The distance between my northern new treeline and my southern new treeline is about 150ft.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:40:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I asked my brother about the grass.  He said it is called Chinese Silver Grass and it spreads by the roots which are pretty aggressive.  However, mowing the boundary edges will keep it under control.  The good news is the seeds are mostly sterile so it should only spread through the roots.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Is it a creeper?

If so, that's freaking perfect!

Listen, do you have a deadline?

I am buried through the 18th, unless I catch a break.  I mean 16 hour work days or more.

I pulled out the graph paper today, but I've gotta just get the little break to do the drawing on the 10 x 40' bed.

Uxb has an interview tomorrow in Chattanooga, and we are driving down there.  I may have some time while he's in the interview. I have no idea how long it will run.

If I can't draw for you then, it may be next week.

If you have a deadline, tell me and I'll get take-out one night instead of cooking.

ETA: Oh wait...it's Sedum spectabile, isn't it?  

I thought you meant it had been there a long time and was still only that tall.

It'll get tall like Autumn joy, right?

(Sorry...I just saw that short Sedum and thought "prostrate".  )
View Quote
Yes, spectibilis, upright sedum.

I know they are dedicating the fire station soon, so I may be running out of time and I may just load the trailer up tomorrow and drive down there and start working on it, and just see who can show up to volunteer. The elementary school that I'm working with keeps pissing me. I grew off a ton of material for them to plant up on a specific date, then they didn't have anything ready, so that's in a holding pattern. Hell they could call me today and tell me they're ready to plant to tomorrow, but I know how fate and karma and all that bullshit works, I won't get a phone call until I try to schedule something at the fire station. So please don't worry about planning. I was just looking for some quick ideas.

I'm about to rotate out my stock houses and we were scrapping and planning yesterday. I have about 2 dozen monarda for the school now, but I have a ton of quart prostrate rosemary, gray santolina, Furman red salvia Greggii, and Becky Luecanthemem (shasta).

My thought is now to put grey santolina and prostrate rosemary on the sidewalk side. Put the artemsia and salvia greggii on the fire truck parking side. Then I'll make clumps of material inside there and just fly by the seat of my pants. There are lots of opinionated women in this small town, so there will be no shortage of ideas once I start pulling plants out of the trailer. Then just try to stick with red, orange, yellow colors so it looks like fire.

I've got some aniscathus flame, mexican humming bird bush, turks cap. I dunno, maybe I'll throw some blues and pinks in there anyway, like mexican bush sage or pavonia. We'll just see when I start loading.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I asked my brother about the grass.  He said it is called Chinese Silver Grass and it spreads by the roots which are pretty aggressive.  However, mowing the boundary edges will keep it under control.  The good news is the seeds are mostly sterile so it should only spread through the roots.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was close! 

Chinese Silver Grass is miscanthus sinensis.  The variety I'm planting is a seed sterile cross, miscanthus x giganteus, with less aggressive rhizome spread.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Update with photos on the previous page.  I do not have a deadline.  :)  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:36:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I want to make my own mulch out of all the branches and twigs that end up on my lawn.  Am I stuck paying $800 for a gas powered chipper/mulcher or can I buy one of the electric suburban dad specials for $100 and expect it to last for a few years of light/non professional use?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:21:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks, I have ash and maple trees.  I compost too, and always have multiple piles going since I'm too cheap to pay to have leaves hauled away.  I also throw the Christmas tree behind the garage every January and usually end up using it for bonfire fuel.  Just trying to figure out if I can use all this stuff instead of burning it in the fire pit.  

That's my GSD, four and a half years old now.  He loves to help in the yard, especially when I'm digging, lol.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thanks, I have ash and maple trees.  I compost too, and always have multiple piles going since I'm too cheap to pay to have leaves hauled away.  I also throw the Christmas tree behind the garage every January and usually end up using it for bonfire fuel.  Just trying to figure out if I can use all this stuff instead of burning it in the fire pit.  

That's my GSD, four and a half years old now.  He loves to help in the yard, especially when I'm digging, lol.
View Quote
My front yard had a dozen or so wonderful ash trees that provided great shade.

Lost them all to the emerald ash borer beetle in two short years. 
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My front yard had a dozen or so wonderful ash trees that provided great shade.

Lost them all to the emerald ash borer beetle in two short years. 
View Quote
Yeah, it's a matter of time before mine are gone too.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It is done. I think they were surprised how much stuff I brought and I don't think they were prepared for that much work. After two hours, they were ready to go home and told me it wasn't my responsibility to do it alone. Another crew came in Saturday night and finished it. Gonna get some fertilizer on it this week. Fire station dedication is next weekend.

I got one more big bed to go for the school if they can get their act together before school is out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Okay this is great, and your photos are perfect. PLEASE DON'T TAKE THE PLUNGE ON THE FENCE AROUND THE POOL YET.  If you use any ideas like the ones I give you, you'll need to expand it outward just a bit.  

I need to know...

1-It sounds like you do not plan to keep the pool fence in place forever.  Can you explain your reasoning?  (I don't have a pool and don't know about the removeable mesh-type fence.)  If I could get a feel for what you are thinking with this, and your plan for future, that would be really helpful.

2-Are you planning on staying in this house for a long time?  Or is it an interim property for you?

3-How far is it from the edge of the middle of the pool to the back fence?

4-Your little one is very small.  That does not look like a "football tossing" yard, but if you see yourself tossing a football back there in a few years, I need to know that. Tossing a football with your little one is WAY more important than any pretty landscape design.  Just sayin.
View Quote
Here is an overhead view.  I estimate the center of the pool to the back fence to be about 65 feet, so the yard is a hair bigger than the pictures indicate, although it's fairly small.

1) the pool fence thoughts mainly come from not knowing how/where to place a wrought iron fence and make it look like something we want to keep around for a long time.  Our first goal is to keep my and others' young'uns safe, and then we are hoping to make something aesthetic.  The mesh fencing seemed like it might be contoured to the shape of the pool more easily and to be a bit less intrusive?  I really have no better explanation than that...  I don't have to install the fence immediately, but by some time in June.

2) we don't know for sure.  I imagine at least a few years.  in the meantime, we are trying to make it as much of "home" as possible without breaking the bank.  the house interior has been painted and a few things tweaked and the kitchen updated, so I'm willing to put forth effort on the yard, too, but I really don't have any ideas other than a preference for plants that require only moderate maintenance and watering.  Of course, every time I move, I put in a little vegetable garden plot and plant fruit trees and even if I don't get to enjoy fruit from them, others may someday.  But as far as landscaping goes, well, that's why I'm in this thread!!

3) ~65 ft.

4)  It'll be a few years before we are tossing foot balls as Wiggly Squirmus isn't quite crawling yet.  I would like to leave space for that sort of thing.  The teens next door practice lacrosse in their back yard (no pool).
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:30:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Now then..perhaps owners of chipper/shredders will weigh in. I would love to be wrong.

There are some that you should ABSOLUTELY not use for mulch.  They will kill other plants.
View Quote
I have a gas powered chipper with a 10hp motor on it and a 3 inch opening.  Most consumer chippers only come with a 5 hp motor now and a 2 inch opening.  That said, I'm still temped to go out and rent a 5 or 6 inch chipper because my 10hp seems slow and limited.  Also since you are chipping things, a huge pile of branches does not go very far.  I have a 6 cubic foot wheel borrow.  The bag on my chipper will fill it almost full and it takes about 30 minutes of chipping to fill the bag.  That is after the brush is already gathered and laid out for the chipper.  I have a flower bed about 30 foot diameter.  It will take about 12 wheel borrows full of mulch to get everything covered.  That is 6 hours of pushing branches in the chipper, plus the time to gather the branches, plus the time to move and spread the mulch.  I have a lot of brush but I don't think I have enough to cover that one flower bed.

Now if you are working on a smaller area and just have small sticks, the 5hp chippers will do what you want.  You can find them Craigs list cheap but you have to watch for them.  I got my 10hp for $250 and it was barely used.  The new price is close to $600.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#34]
What's the easiest way to get a yard leveled out.

Between moles and ruts from having a well put in and some other plumbing work in the back yard it's gotten pretty rough. It wasn't take care of right when it happened because it was winter and the ground was soggy. Now the grass has grown back and I get beat to hell riding the mower around. 
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I want to make my own mulch out of all the branches and twigs that end up on my lawn.  Am I stuck paying $800 for a gas powered chipper/mulcher or can I buy one of the electric suburban dad specials for $100 and expect it to last for a few years of light/non professional use?    
View Quote
Theres a beefy one in the new harbor freight ad for like 3-something.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#37]
KwS,

First, thank you so much for the wonderful post and your creativity, time, and efforts!!

I am absorbing the post and thinking it out a bit.

I'm not opposed to deciduous near the pool, it's really not that big a pain to scoop, and enough blows over the fence from the neighbors' and in from the rose bushes that I'm not sure how much a difference I would see.  Those redbuds would be gorgeous and they are native to within a county or two, so the climate would not be an issue.

However, I am also very interested in the tall grasses idea - some structure in the winter months and the hardiness in our 100F June-July-Aug-half of Sep summers is very appealing.  We are a zone 8a and I'm still getting used to the idea of rain once a month even though I've been here for years.

I am still deliberating where to tie the fence in back at the rear of the house as I need to also isolate access between the back door from the pool.  That's going to be a little tougher to figure out.  

Both variations are wonderful and provide a lot of help. Bear with me as I think of questions. Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Some updates

Used a sod cutter to take the top 4 inches of hard clay soil and a couple catastrophically failed layers of sod out.  
Attachment Attached File

Tilled in about 2 cubic yards of compost I got for free.  Went about 8 or 10 inches deep.  No half measures this time... the soil consistency was such that there would be very lumpy and crappy sinkholes.... soil is uniform nao.

Attachment Attached File

Arranging some papers to join stairs and patio.

Attachment Attached File

Outlined with bender board, put down drain rock

Attachment Attached File

Put some more trex decking at the base of the hot tub stairs

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Pavers set in cement. And what is this new development? 3" of class II base rock with plate tamper, then 1.5" of decomposed granite with plate tamper!  No more sinkholes... but what comes next?

Attachment Attached File

....Tore out the right rosemary bush, making a more open feel in that area
The rosemary was ancient and on its last legs, anyway.  Will eventually be replaced with something, veggies or flowers most likely.

Attachment Attached File

Hauled quite a few cubic yards of rock.   Good workout!

Attachment Attached File

But what the heck is he doing with all that rock, after tilling?  Well, he said he didn't want no damned sinkholes, but what do you put over 5" of Tilled soIL, rolled, then 5" of base rock mix, tamped for hours?

Attachment Attached File

You  put some high end turf in!!!!! Impervious to drought, female dog piss, neglect, and the pix do NOT do it justice, it looks and feels fantastic!!

Here are my helpers checking my work.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

Local building inspectors checking for code:

Attachment Attached File

Having a landing at the bottom of hot tub stairs that's not crappy adobe dirt is nice...

Attachment Attached File

The walkway to the patio from the stairs really brought things together.

Attachment Attached File

The dogs approve.  And they don't get dirty and muddy from lying on patchy crappy clay soil/sod chunks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

Left some about 3 ft fore and aft of the left side of turf for pots, planters, whatever.

Buried a X-shaped pvc pipe under the whole portion of this yard before rock and tamping etc, for extra hose/sprinkler hookups
 Because why not.  I like to over-engineer.  There is already a drip system that covers everything, but just in case...

Attachment Attached File

Massively pruned the potato vine on the back fence, and have dug 4 4ft deep post holes.  Going to put up a trellis-like structure that will take the weight of.the vine off the fence and provide a little.organic shade and grotto-like effect in part of the hot tub.  Plan is for it to basically go the width of that part of the yard, and come out about 3ft from the back fence and have the vines grow on it.

Really over engineering this too lol, that vine was heavy, I have about 1100 pounds of cement for a few post holes lol.  It was about to pull the fence down, in fact there were actually already a couple 4x4 put in a couple years ago, and they are tipping forward from.the weight of the vines.  I think those are about 6ft tall and only had about 2ft of depth/cement. So clearly that was not strong enough, as there were also the fence post 4x4's holding it up too.

Here's the detached mancave next to the hot tub.  

Attachment Attached File

The turf has an 18yr warranty and was made locally in the USA.  Most turf is Chinese and has lead and all kinds of gross chemicals in it for the manufacturers to save a few pennies per SqFt.

Attachment Attached File

Did I mention this stuff looks great? Well it feels great too, I just wanna lie in it. And you don't get grass stains on your clothes or track mud into the hot tub

Here's a new bougainvillea variety that I put in on this fence to fill in the gap.  Bear in mind that these pics are heavily compressed from about 18 to 3me to fit in the arf uploader parameters. This stuff looks much better than I had even hoped for.  Better than any other turf I've seen installed anywhere else.  It's a 94oz weight, 2" height, with a good amount of thatch. It looks better than the displays that the landscaper supply shops had.  

Attachment Attached File

The infill is a blend of fancy odor and dirt trapping stuff called zeofill, and green sand.  

Other than taking a leaf blower to it occasionally, zero maintenance. And the plants are all on a drip line with timers, so they're zero.maintenance too
 Other than adding more
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#43]
KwS, I basically used ur exact shapes for the grass and walkway areas, and avoiding the use of blocks/rocks for borders is something I really took to heart, to good effect.  It took some convincing of the family that they're not needed, and that soft borders would look better, but now everyone is super happy that we didn't add a bunch of unnecessary rocks.

Everything is not done, lots of contractor bags and plants that were moved when I took the pics, but it's coming along more than nicely.

I have looked up ideas for the freestanding trellis/vine thingy..  I mean it's not rocket surgery, but if you have an opinion on shape I would like to hear your advice.  Haven't decided between a flat top and an arched top.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#44]
@Kitties-with-Sigs
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Whoops, double tap
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:16:06 AM EDT
[#47]
It's artificial turf. It has holes in the bottom and has all.kinds of fancy infill.that kill smells. The dogs don't even like.to go on it at the moment anyway.

It's rated to drain something like 130gph per SF (or was it Sq inch? SF at most.  5 inches of rock or so below it.

It's awesome stuff.  18 year full warranty.

So yeah the, back fence was falling down from the weight of the vines and I untangled them, built a thingy, and weaved them back up.

Its probably not the ideal style but I have that same lattice going around the other 3 sides of the yard, just not as high.  Basically just hoping the vines fill it back in asap.

Attachment Attached File

I pruned it so that it will grow back in thick.  Sucks to break it up but now there's room to walk behind the back of the "studio", behind the hot tub.

Argticial turf ftw.  Everything else is on drip Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

My second volunteer project this spring. A local elementary school wanted to restart their pollinator garden. I grew this material out especially for them, then held it 6 weeks in the greenhouse waiting for them to get a bed ready, so most of it was really overgrown.  It was supposed to be butterfly shaped. Installation wasn't my job. Looks like they didn't water it before installation either. Good thing it rained 5 inches over the weekend.

It just illustrates what most people don't understand about a garden. To get it started, you have to monitor it daily, maybe even water it daily. If you skip a day because it's the weekend, that could be the end of it. And then there's the timing aspect. The sooner you get it in before it turns 100 degrees, the better. Those first few months, you have to treat it more like a cat or a dog and less like a plant till it gets established.  I'm sure I'll do some replacements for next year.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#49]
I have one tree in the front yard.  It is a red maple, 10" diameter.  I have very heavy clay soil.  The tree has grown a root ball at the base of its trunk - tapering out fairly steeply to about 3 feet in diameter.  I have been doing some fill and grade work after a foundation project, and would like to put about six inches of sand fill at the base of the tree.  Not up the trunk.  Not even right up to the trunk.  Just enough to take the steep taper out of the root ball so I can mow up to it with the lawnmower, and also continue to direct the water downhill and away from the house.

The tree is already somewhat distressed.  Will this kill the tree any sooner?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top