[#2]
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks!
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure if this has been addressed but I'd like recommendations for the best shrub to plant along the tree line to serve as a visual border between grass and woods. Currently the lines are filled with a multitude of weeds and it is not attractive.

I'm thinking azaleas might be a good fit. I would like something that is relatively quick to fill in, can prune to a max height of 4-5 feet, and flowering. Most of the woodline gets sun in the mornings, then shaded in the afternoon, only 40 feet or so will be north facing.

Something inexpensive would be a bonus, I'll have to order from a wholesale nursery as I will need 250+ feet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I will fire my question here.  I have several low spots in my yard and then a few areas I would like to move some dirt for better drainage.  It will require more dirt than I have but in the mean time I can fix probably 75% of my issues with the dirt I am going to move.  

Basic question would be time of year to do this and be able to grow grass and not have mud holes in the yard for an extended amount of time.  I live in the southeast (USDA plant hardiness zone 8a) and normal grass around here seems to be a mix of fescue and maybe some KY blue grass in shaded areas.  I like KY blue grass better but a twister took down the large tree in my front yard this past spring so the shade is non-existent.  

As a side note all I have is a box blade and never used it before......  I might need some time to fix my screw ups....
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I want a more defined border between where the grass (green in the yard that’s mostly clover and weeds) is full and where it peeters out in patches heading into the tree line. Also if I can fill a solidish hedge line at 4’ tall I can completely obscure the woods and the deadfall and all from the house. It will provide a more finished look.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Nearest city of size is Chattanooga TN.  

I have not seen berumda since I left FL but admit I hate that stuff, might be in the area but I will avoid it in my yard.  I would love to have a nice green soft lawn so not sure the best choice for my location but think most go with a fescue of some sort or a mix.  I am at the base of a hill so all the runoff during a rain storm starts to gather on my property but I still have a 20-25ft drop over a 200ft run.  I am going to try and redirect the water that is heading straight towards the foundation of my home.....  This is the reason for me to start tearing up the yard but figured I would be better off doing it during a planting season so it might grow.  Overall my yard is terrible.  I probably have 50% grass and 50% weeds at this point.  The other parts of the yard are where my shed was and the root ball of the tree that fell left a huge dirt spot.  

Eventually I would love to plant a type of evergreen tree (s) to set up a fence between me and my neighbors.  I hope they would grow to around 6-8 ft tall and around a 5 ft diameter and plant a long row of them (probably around 150 ft).  There was one that turned yellow in the winter that I like but think it had some quirk that it either might have a hard time growing or bugs usually take them out.  

On the last note I prefer stuff that is easy to take care of.  I have some health issues and my body has a hard time controlling my body temperature in extreme heat and 85% of people get skin cancer within ten years after the surgery I had.....  I just made a year back in May.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@billith777

Look at this link.

Then we can talk about what might be right for you.  I have a hunch that one of these PLUS something else will be your perfect solution.

13 types of azalea
View Quote

3. Sweet Azalea - Looks to be right size. Would do well in 70% of where I want them to go IE full sun to partial shade. It wants moist soil though,we can get dry hot spells in this part of the state.

4. Florida Flame Azalea - same as above but looks like it might tolerate more shade.

7. Roseshell Azalea - looks to be a good fit but "very cold hardy" might not enjoy 95* and dry for 6 weeks.

8. Royal Azalea - same as #7

9. Plumleaf Azalea - Might be a winner....

11. Pink-Shell Azalea - Might be a winner...

I guess the next big step is calling local nurseries and seeing what they recommend and what I can get in bulk at a good price.

Here is a sample of the woodline I want to fill in. Ignore the grass we're still recovering from when they cut the hill to clear the land. Overseeding is happening in a month. This is roughly 50-60 feet across and I'm standing about 40-50 feet away. The camera is looking due west.

Link Posted: 9/22/2020 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Good Morning Kitties,
I remember you talking about a liquid aeration product and one of your clients had you use it on a hill that stayed sloppy wet for long periods.  I have the same issue with my backyard.  I have a fairly steep hill that just will NOT dry out after a rain.  It stays soggy and squishy and if you run much more than a riding lawn mower over it, the "grass" (our weed mixture that stands in for grass! ) just gets torn right off.  The hill is about 40ish feet wide and maybe 80-100 feet long but I would likely need to treat most of the back yard as it all stays wetter than I would like due to the HEAVY NC clay we have here!

Do you think the same product will work for me?  Also is it possible to apply it as a homeowner?  I don't have more than a handheld 2 gallon sprayer although I *might* know someone I could borrow a larger (10 or 20) gallon tow behind tank from but it still just has a hand wand.  Or should I just hire this job out?  Should I mechanically aerate first to increase the penetration of the product?  I have a cheesy slit aerator but the price was right!

I appreciate any and all advice.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Hi Kitties,
I have been........how do you say.........SLACK and I have not done it yet.  Should I just wait until spring now or can I still do it while it is sort of chilly here?  My part of NC doesn't usually get "real" winter though it *might* snow a tiny bit during the winter.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@billth777  Did you do anything with this plan for azaleas yet?

View Quote

I havent, its gotten pushed because ive decided to pull out the plastic shed and replace with a 14x24 pole barn about 20' behind where that shed is now.

Plus now that the leaves are down in the garden i've taken down the fence to expand another 50' up and add in 3 rows of grapes. Then the chicken coop then raised beds, then some shed or awning for the mill........and it never stops.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:29:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@Scoobysmak

Have you been able to make progress?

Did I answer what you needed?  Feel free to poke at the answer and let us know what you need different, or if I didn't make sense.

Kitties
View Quote

Well I have failed miserably. My tractor had an incident, I will blame it on myself, and was out of commission for a few months.  Then I was in an auto accident that totaled out my car (I wasn’t totaled but they did take me to the hospital for precautionary reasons though). Tractor is running again but time has not been my friend.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I have grand plans for my new-old property, but I'm running out of time completing my big drainage project that will hopefully de-swampify the place over time.  So for now I'm gonna lay down cardboard over two 4ft x 32ft spots in the back yard to kill the grass, and start the transplant-happy plant seeds indoors to get some extra time, rather than shelter.

Soil here is straight black gumbo garbage clay, not one pebble or spec of organic matter past about 4" down.  So the plan is to dump some garden soil on top of it once the grass is dead, after breaking up the hard clay with a fork to start the long, long, long process of making it usable soil.

Between the addition/generation of compost and relocation of some of my excavated dirt from the drainage project, I hope to get the beds slightly elevated, so I can get proper borders made for them next year & continue gradually filling them up the rest of the way with good soil (more drainage projects to come in the future will ensure more fill dirt)

By this summer my place should be free of ponding from heavy rains (especially near the house), I'll have irrigation access near all my planned garden areas, a late-planted first-year garden conditioning the soil & maybe paying its way somewhat, and about a dozen fruit trees getting started (in addition to however many or few of my three dozen Satsumas survived this frost)

By next spring I hope to have low-raised beds of decent soil, compost production, a simple drip irrigation system, row covers, and a focus on actually using the produce rather than getting it to grow, period .  Assuming we don't get another 100yr freeze event, most of the stuff I've planted should have overwintered & come back very strong, too.  Some of the fruit trees I'm planting are allegedly able to produce in their second year, but I'm doubtful.

For now I'm focusing on beans, sweet potatoes, and nightshades (tomatillos, ground cherries, peppers, that sort of thing) because the soil is so godawful, with smelly herbs & flowers interspersed as a pest deterrent.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You are so correct.  It never stops.  I typed a thing, thinking I was typing to GreenGiant, but then realized he was wet hill, you were azaleas.

Anyway, here it is, should you need it:

View Quote

I've bailed all together on the azaleas. Current plans are for sheep in the future. azalea is toxic.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Can you design my landscape pls?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I've bailed all together on the azaleas. Current plans are for sheep in the future. azalea is toxic.
View Quote

Sheep in Georgia?

You could go with nandina. Pretty cheap, grows like a weed in the south. Once it’s established it only needs trimming; you can cut them in half once a year and they will grow right back.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a poured, concrete retaining wall that is 9' at its highest and slopes down to grade over ~ 40'.  

Insurance co. wants me to put up a fence at the top of the wall to keep anyone from falling who is walking on the ground above.  

I would rather put up some form of bush as a barrier ... it'll look nicer, and, hopefully be less maintenance.  

Must be deer/wildlife resistant.  

Would like it to aesthetically pleasing.  

My land is in north east MO.  

I'd like holly but am told that isn't deer resistant.  Maybe firebush?  

The primary quality is it must be thick/tough enough to keep people away from the ledge.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#42]
As a folllow up to my bush question, attached are 3 pics of the retaining wall.

The left, high end is 8' tall, the middle, where it bends ~20*, is 6 feet tall and the right end is 4' tall.

The 8' to 6' run is 16' long and from the 6' to 4' is a 14' run.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#43]
As a folllow up to my bush question, attached are 3 pics of the retaining wall.

The left, high end is 8' tall, the middle, where it bends ~20*, is 6 feet tall and the right end is 4' tall.

The 8' to 6' run is 16' long and from the 6' to 4' is a 14' run.

Thanks  

Attachment Attached File

Oh well, the pics are > 5meg so I cannot upload the other 2
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Do you have the option of doing both fence AND plantings?

I ask because if you're talking about firethorn, that's quite an undertaking because it's serious business to prune it, or manipulate it in any way. And if there are small children in the picture, even though I believe in letting kids learn about the real world by experiencing it, firethorn is harsh.

ETA: If you'd like to email me the pics, I can resize them for you so they will upload more easily.

Let me know and we can IM.  No pressure. I know that's a security issue for many.

View Quote

@Kitties-with-Sigs

Thanks Kitties, I sent you an email.

There can be an occasional grandchild around.  

I can do both fence and bush and/or either/or both.  

What is the best solution?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Kitties,

I have a question related to layout, size, and termination of mulched beds around a patio.  House and garage are about the right perspective/ratio.  front and back stoop are filled in dark brown.  Grass runs up to patio in back.  The mulched flower beds fit and flow ok in front, but the termination around the angled rear corner of the patio isn't right, and I'm at a loss as to what to do to improve the look.

Any suggestions?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Existing, back corner I never finished, can change.  Hope you are healing up well.  

Thanks!
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top