Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The big walnut tree right behind the house dropped another branch, during the day with no wind.  It's about 6 ft long and 3 inches in diameter.  This was right at the bottom of the steps.  That 3 branches in 2 months in the standing/sitting area right behind the house.  I've been hit by a 2 foot 1.5 inch diameter branch that fell about 15 feet.  That gave me a decent knock to my head.  This branch would have sent someone to the hospital.  All all the debris, leaves and walnuts on the ground came from this tree.  

The tree is officially on the list of trees that need to be removed.  Once the retaining wall is up and backfilled, this tree will be taken down.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:59:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Update from the horticulturalist at the Extension Office.

Hi SWIRE,  I have checked on the walnut sample and the lab is still working on it.  They have brought in consultation from the UK Forestry department to help evaluate whether this could be the Thousand Cankers disease of black walnut. The lab spokesperson said that Thousand Cankers disease is being watched, but it hasn't been confirmed in Kentucky to date.  The lab suspects this is not Thousand Cankers disease, and the cause for decline in your tree, but lab procedure deems they must be sure. Testing is a bit complicated, so expect it to take longer than normal. Thanks for your patience.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Huh.  I saw a map that had it in Northern Kentucky.  Interesting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SWIRE:
Update from the horticulturalist at the Extension Office.

Hi SWIRE,  I have checked on the walnut sample and the lab is still working on it.  They have brought in consultation from the UK Forestry department to help evaluate whether this could be the Thousand Cankers disease of black walnut. The lab spokesperson said that Thousand Cankers disease is being watched, but it hasn't been confirmed in Kentucky to date.  The lab suspects this is not Thousand Cankers disease, and the cause for decline in your tree, but lab procedure deems they must be sure. Testing is a bit complicated, so expect it to take longer than normal. Thanks for your patience.

Huh.  I saw a map that had it in Northern Kentucky.  Interesting.

I've seen conflicting information as well. Lots of reports of it actually being here but then the official statement from the state is it is not here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#6]
A small weekend waterline project.  My parents came down and my father wanted to help me on a house project.  There is a lack of pictures of pictures as this was labor intensive and I simply didn't think about it.  We took a break at this point which is why I have these.

The old line was 3/4" galvanized pipe.  It runs under the sidewalk, made a couple turns in the yard, goes under the brick porch and into a crawl space that anyone over 150 lbs can't fit into.  That crawlspace can freeze if the heat went out.  The shutoff valve is an iron valve under the brick porch and the previous owner believes it is rusted to the point that trying to use it will cause it to leak.  The line in the yard previously rusted through and leaked a couple years back.  I posted pictures of that repair.

The new line is/will be 1 1/4" poly used as a sleeve for 3/4" Uponor Pex (PEX-A).  It will be routed under 2 sidewalks and then into the basement of the 2 story section of the house.  That will make the line freeze proof and create an easy to access shutoff valve.  

The sidewalk is 6" thick which is noticeable when you compare it to the width of the 2x4 it is sitting on.  I have a 9" cutoff saw that cuts 3 1/2" deep.  That didn't work so I rented a 14" saw cut 5" deep.  It still took the backhoe bucket a lot of effort to get that last inch to bust.  Then we were able to slide it over and out the way.

The backhoe made digging down to the lines easy but it can't dig under the wall.  The base of the back of the wall is about 2 feet thick.  It took both of us an hour of digging to get below the wall and create an opening.  I ran some additional conduit and sleeves in the trench as well for future expansion.  Not sure if/when I will use them but at least they are there.  

We did our best to level the ground before putting the slab back in but the bottom of the slab is very uneven.  The slab is back in place but not lined up or leveled enough to be considered good.  I don't have any pictures of the lines in the trench or anything going back in.  The goal was try to get the sidewalk cleared and opened back up. I will be able to get pictures of the back of the wall.  The forecast had be 50% chance of 0.3 inches of rain.  According to local weather stations we ended up getting 1" of rain.  

At least the main nightmare of the project is over.  I still have to more sidewalks to bust out, then dig 2 feet down next to the foundation of the house and then drill a 1.5" hole through 20-24 inches of limestone rock for the water pipe.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2021 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
wow that rock wall goes deep!
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:20:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Back side of the wall.  The depth perspective is lost but from the conduits to the top of the wall is 5 feet.  The wall is about 3ft above ground level and I dug down 24 inches below that.

The only things that remains is a job that will be no fun.  Repacking all the dirt under the wall and putting back a couple rocks that we knocked loose.

The front side of the wall is done and has been put back.  The only remaining evidence of work is one sidewalk block has a seem in the middle where it was cut in half.  It was only when I looked at these pictures did I notice the additional inground control box was not parallel to the sidewalk.  Hopefully the grass will grow in and it won't be as noticeable.  I had to use a pick axe to bust out rock to get it to fit in the first place, so it is most likely staying where it is at.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:24:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#10]
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Looks to me like you got that piece of sidewalk in great.  I think I would have ditched it and poured new rather than try to level it with that uneven concrete bottom.

ETA:  You are are at the EXACT right time of year to grow grass!  All you need is a sprinkler out there to keep it watered while it comes in.
View All Quotes
Back side of the wall.  The depth perspective is lost but from the conduits to the top of the wall is 5 feet.  The wall is about 3ft above ground level and I dug down 24 inches below that.

The only things that remains is a job that will be no fun.  Repacking all the dirt under the wall and putting back a couple rocks that we knocked loose.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/wall3_JPG-2081311.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/wall4_JPG-2081310.jpg

The front side of the wall is done and has been put back.  The only remaining evidence of work is one sidewalk block has a seem in the middle where it was cut in half.  It was only when I looked at these pictures did I notice the additional inground control box was not parallel to the sidewalk.  Hopefully the grass will grow in and it won't be as noticeable.  I had to use a pick axe to bust out rock to get it to fit in the first place, so it is most likely staying where it is at.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/wall5_JPG-2081309.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/wall6_JPG-2081324.jpg

Looks to me like you got that piece of sidewalk in great.  I think I would have ditched it and poured new rather than try to level it with that uneven concrete bottom.

ETA:  You are are at the EXACT right time of year to grow grass!  All you need is a sprinkler out there to keep it watered while it comes in.

With the backhoe moving the piece of sidewalk wasn't difficult once it finally broke away.  Putting it back in was another story as I had tore up the other side of the walk and could position the backhoe in a way to pick it again.  It a little bit to figure out how to work with that large piece of concrete but in the end landscaping post and a 3,000 lb scissor jack was enough to repeatedly lift it high enough to level under it. I saw a YouTube video the other day where a crew had little hooks to lift sections of sidewalks and relevel it, which is what gave me the idea.  Of course they had an easy to lift and relevel.  All I can say now is the sidewalk sections all match.  I had rented a jack hammer as well, just in case I ran into problems and already have a cement mixer.  That was plan B.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Love the updates.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#13]
@swire - Here's some of that elephant grass nearing end of season growth - tractor for scale.

It's almost caught up to the 15 year old thujas to the right.

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:
@swire - Here's some of that elephant grass nearing end of season growth - tractor for scale.

It's almost caught up to the 15 year old thujas to the right.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20210919_160110_896-2097481.jpg
View Quote

Awesome, that is even taller than I expected it to be.  You said it stays standing through the winter as well?  I would assume it needs full sun to get that thick and to that height.  I have some areas where I could use a privacy screen but they all are partial to full shade.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:13:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#15]
The fox is still around.  Pictures from 9/19/21.

This one is interesting.  The fox is the object on the left and a cat that hangs around is on the right.  The cat is big with long hair.  At night with shadows they look almost the same size and it is hard to tell them apart.  The fox is afraid of the cat.  I've see the cat chase off the fox a couple times now.  

There are also some newer animals that I have not seen before.  The other night I saw a full grown one.  This picture is of a juvenile I saw the following night.
It was difficult to get a good picture and I wasn't going to push my luck in trying to get it for obvious reasons.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:10:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought I had posted an update about finally seeing the beaver that was cutting down some smaller trees.  He was not that afraid of me, just stayed their looking at me.  Then I found the next tree he is working on.  It isn't a small tree, it's a 14" diameter hackberry.  Not sure what he is thinking with that one other than he wants to block up the entire creek.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought I had posted an update about finally seeing the beaver that was cutting down some smaller trees.  He was not that afraid of me, just stayed their looking at me.  Then I found the next tree he is working on.  It isn't a small tree, it's a 14" diameter hackberry.  Not sure what he is thinking with that one other than he wants to block up the entire creek.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/bever-2099021.jpg
View Quote

You have quite the menagerie in that little slice of nature!

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 11:33:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#18]
An update on another project that I have been working on during the summer, expanding the mid-yard fire pit area by moving the garden and rock wall.

Due to the other projects and rain slowing everything down, I'm at least 2 weeks behind where I wanted to be on the finished stages of this project.  I have an event planned in about 3 1/2 weeks and the new grass most likely will not be in as thick as I would like.  The rock wall has not been restacked yet and I still need to move the other side of the garden and wall.  I doubt that happens during the remainder of this year.

This picture is from several years ago.  Everything was overgrown with honeysuckle bushes and this is after I cut them down but hadn't removed them yet.  The area had about a 5' wide path through the brush.

This was last fall.  All the brush has been removed from the area but with a firepit, straw bales, and one table it is still a very tight spot.  The rock wall is visible just to the left of the table.

This summer I worked on relocating the garden and moving the back wall of the garden about 15 feet away.  All year long as flowers and plants would start to surface I would move them out of the garden area.  After that I dug up the stones and moved those to the general area of the new wall.  The corner stones for the wall are not just a stone, they are multiple stones concreted together.   I'm not sure why they were done that way but they were and it was difficult to move the first one.  It was everything my little tractor could do to move it, most of the moving was done by rolling the stone as it was too big to pick up.

This is the first corner stone.  Half of it was buried and I didn't realize that.  This is near the new location for it after I dug a hole for it.  The backhoe bucket can tilt it but can't reach under it to grab it.  It was a series for ramming it, using the loader bucker or bachhoe hydraulics to tip it, and then try to drive to flip it the rest of the way over.  I got it moved though.  

The new event space.  The ground isn't as level as I would want but it is as level as it will get for now, especially with all the rain.  I'll have to bring in some dirt when it is dry to finish leveling it but that can wait for another year.  

This is after the grass seed is in, starter fertilizer down, and the surface raked to get the seed in better contact with the dirt.  The straw is same straw from second picture, I had it wrapped in a tarp but the rodents and weather still got to it and had caused it to deteriorate.  

I put in 2 sprinklers hooked up to a timer that is connected to the pump in the cistern, they run for 20 minutes every 6 hours.  I have multiple types of grass seed down, including a couple fast growing varieties.  Hopefully the watering schedule will boost how it grows.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:03:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#19]

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/bever-2099021.jpg

The other night I was standing in the back yard about 30ft from the skunk, the cat that adopted me was at my feet, the fox came back and sat down about 20 feet away from me and an owl near by was hooting.  Pretty unique experience in downtown.  

Also have caught these guys on the trail camera at the bridge.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#20]
While all the other projects have been going on I have also been working at the other end of the waterline and where it goes into the house.  The foundation is stacked limestone rock.  I expected it to be 20-24" thick but it is over 28" thick.  

Let me back up a step first.  The previous waterline was galvanized steel pipe that went under the brick and concrete front porch into a crawlspace that I can't fit into that isn't deep enough to keep it from freezing in the winter.  There is a shutoff valve under the brick porch but the previous owner was scared that using it would cause it leak because it is so old.  The steel pipe corroded and leaked the other year.  The inside plumbing is a mash up of steel, copper, and a bit of PVC connected mostly with compression fittings.  All the lines are in crawlspaces that can freeze in the winter.  So a complete upgrade is in order.  

My first priority is getting a new waterline run to the house and into the basement under the 2 story part.  At least then I can install a proper shutoff valve and have it in a space that might not freeze.  From there new pex lines can be ran all over the house and will be more resistant to freezing.

The red line is the existing line and the yellow line the planned path for the new line.  I am running a 1 1/4" black poly pipe as the sleeve and a 3/4" PEX-A line inside it.  

At the house it doesn't seem like the lines would be that far apart but the red line goes into a crawlspace maybe 12" deep and the yellow line goes into a basement that is over 6' deep.

I started drilling holes on the inside of the basement going out and did so before I removed any dirt.  The bit on the rotary hammer drill is a 1-3/4"  and has about a 22" reach.  The large bottom hole is where the waterline will go.  It is a lot deeper than required but hopefully that will keep it from ever getting hit or crushed.

The hole above it was made with a 1-1/4" bit and will be used with a 1" sleeve to run an irrigation line back out to the yard.  I don't have any plans on installing something like that any time soon but since I will have a trench open in the yard I wanted to run everything I could think of.

There are two more holes on the right by the tape measure.  One will be for an electrical circuit and the other for low voltage stuff like camera wires or sprinkler valve control wires.

After drilling the holes I used the backhoe to dig next to the house.  There was a concrete slab over that area which I removed the other week when my father was here.  

The rebar sticking out is the from the bottom hole on the right side of the picture above.  It is a bit off from where I thought it would be.  I had expected it to come out on the left side of the shovel.  Since the rocks are 28" thick and the drill bit only gets about 22" deep I ran into a problem getting through the wall.  Another problem I ran into was using a rotary hammer on a stacked wall only works until you make half way through.  After that it just starts pushing the stacked rocks out of the wall.  The same with the rebar trying to hammer it through to find out where the opening was.

The main waterline and the irrigation line holes ended up running into the foundation rocks on the other side of the house.  I had to redrill those at a better angle.  

I managed to get a hole big enough for the 1-1/4" black poly pipe; however, it took half the foundation rocks out of the wall during the process.  

Daylight

This line is just a short piece for the purpose of making sure the line fits and then figuring out how to get the real line through the wall.  The real lines will be coming from the backside into the basement which makes it more difficult.  

The solution that I've come up with is to take a 2" PVC pipe and I will use that as a sleeve for the sleeve in the opening and then repair the foundation wall using concrete.  There is not way to stack the stones and them back in as tight as they were to begin with. Adding the PVC sleeves will allow me to rebuild the wall without having to dig the rest of the trench and run all the lines first.  The sooner that foundation is repaired the better I will feel about it.  

Whatever mortar or stucco they used in the basement has failed.  At this point it is just basically damp sand stuck to the wall.  Besides repairing the exterior foundation wall I can add redoing the interior wall of the basement.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#21]
The new grass in the back yard is starting to come in.

The skunk, given the name Flower, comes back almost every night to eat the remainder of any food I put out.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2021 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Critters the other night.  From back to front; fox, skunk, cat that adopted me.  The skunk doesn't show any concern about the fox.  I need to setup critter lighting if they are going to keep coming together like this.

Not the posture one wants to see.  This is from a few nights ago.  Both cat and fox were running around, they weren't paying any attention to the skunk but it still had it on edge.  

This is from last night, much calmer body language.

Link Posted: 10/5/2021 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Fox Photo Montage 10/5/2021.  I brought some lights and a better camera out with me tonight.

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#24]
That's a healthy looking fox
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 11:44:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#26]

The cat that adopted you....does it live at the house?

View Quote

The cat is always around.  It will sleep under the trailer or tractor, some place where larger animals can't get to it easily.  I have a little shelter for it down by the gardens, I put that up so I could put food out for it and it wouldn't get rain in the bowl.  I plan on getting something better built for it up by the house.

The skunk has stopped coming around which I'm fine with.  However, raccoons have found the cat food and started showing up.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I can blow those gutters out for you. Looks like they are clogged with leaves and debris.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:
I can blow those gutters out for you. Looks like they are clogged with leaves and debris.
View Quote

The house has box gutters, basically just a slight ledge that redirects water.  They don't need to be blown out as much as swept off.  A heavy wind or rain cleans it off pretty good as well.  

I do need a carpenter though, someone that can patch solid wood floor or rebuild 200 year old soffits.  The soffits are pretty straight forward and I could do the work but it would go much faster with even a 2 person crew that knew what they were doing and had the ladders/scaffolding.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:34:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#29]
So many updates to report, some are still in progress.

I'll start with this one.  I've been seeing ruts in my grass between the street and sidewalk.  In fact two days after I had replaced the waterline under the sidewalk, put in a sprinkler control valve box, and plated the grass seed where I had disturbed the dirt; I found a 2 inch deep rut in my fresh soil that went right over my control box and pushed it 2 inches further into the ground.

I had heard from a couple people that saw a lawn care company parking there.  I finally noticed and documented the situation.  They are doing work for the neighbors and decided my yard and sidewalk was the best place to park.  There are two different sideroads 1 house down from where they are working.  They could have easily parked on those instead of my lawn on the main road.  

I took pictures to documentation the situation and was going to firmly but politely ask them to not do that as it was causing damage.  The lawn care guy was half polite half major asshole.  He said he would fix whatever damage, I told him that wasn't necessary as I would fix it and I just wanted him to move and not park there.  

Then he went off on me about how dare I take pictures of his truck, that was his property and I had no right to take pictures of his truck.    I replied that he was in public view and parked on my property, so yes I had a right to take pictures.  He went off on me again about how I was a terrible person for taking a picture of his truck, that he didn't know who I was or if I even lived there...then proceeded to chew me out again for taking pictures of his truck.    I finally just said move your truck and walked away.  

I need to reposition cameras for my video surveillance system.  I don't expect any problems from him but as angry as he got about me taking pictures of his truck I could see him running over the lawn on purpose now.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:22:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#30]
Another project update involves replacing a waterline in a very tight crawl space.  This has been a project that I have been dreading for a couple years now.  I had to bring a tiny 2 ft long shovel to dig out under a floor joist so that I could shimmy under it.  

At this point I had dug out up to the last floor joist.  The lamp is one of those small fixtures only 4 to 5 inches wide.  I could fit my head under the floor joist but not enough to be able to even look up to see the pipe.  This dirt hasn't seen rain in easily 150 years, it was like a fine powder.  That made it easy to shovel but terrible for everything else.

Then as I was digging I came across this fun item crawl over, a 100 year old rusty nail just buried in the dirt.

I finally cleared enough dirt that get under the floor joist into the next "open" area.  That area was about 3 feet wide and 2 feet deep after I had dug it out.  I was able to cut the old waterline, not sure how they go copper in there as there was no room, rock walls on two sides and 2 layers of old flooring above.  I had hoped to tape the new line to the old line and pull it.  There was enough in room the rock portion of the wall.

However, the hole on the other side goes through two 2x12s and was so tight the copper pipe could barely move.  The new pipe got stuck and would not come through.  That required getting out of this thigh crawl space, checking the other side of the crawl space, and then retrieving my hammer drill with a 22" bit on it.   Remember how I said this "opening" was 3 feet wide, the drill with the bit just barely fit

Chewing through the rock wasn't difficult as there already was a decent hole the hammer drill made quick work of it.  Then I got the 2x12 and hammer drills with concrete bits, even though they say they can go through wood, are terrible at going through wood.
The other holes are by whomever put in the copper lines.  Not sure why they gave up unless they were drilling at and angle because their drill wouldn't fit the opening.

It had to be 30 minutes of drilling to get through both 2x12s.  I lost count of the number of breaks I had to take from holding up the hammer drill.  Finally I got through the wood and could see my lights on the other side.

I'm not sure how the YouTube renovation people claim to do the work and then always look clean...but here is what my clothes looked like after just a couple hours in the crawl space.  They were clean before I went in.  That is what real work looks like.

This was what my arm looked like after my first trip down into the crawl space to shovel some of the work.  That was just 1 of 4 trips into that crawl space.  But the waterline is now through that wall and that crawlspace is opened up enough that I can get to it in the future.  I spent about 4 hours in the crawlspace that night doing the excavating, drilling, pulling pex lines, and then getting it routed into the new hole to get to the other crawlspace.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#31]
One daughter requested an outdoor camping birthday party which we had last week.  The walnut trees were making a mess of everything with walnuts everywhere and we were trying to keep them picked up so we didn't trip on them.  I happened across a guy with 2 kids picking up walnuts from peoples trees and told him he was welcome to take mine.  The guy is retired and taking care of his grandkids, they pickup walnuts and get to keep all the profits.  They came out Saturday morning and spent about 2 hours picking up walnuts.  The truck was half full when they arrived and looked like this as they were leaving.  In addition to the walnuts I gave the kids $20 for picking them up.  That is a lot of walnuts and the kids were stained head to toe, well worth $20 I gave them even they weren't charging for their services.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Birthday party pictures.  This turned out to be a lot bigger production than we had anticipated, just from a logistics side of getting everything out in the yard and setup.  I've been working on the yard/garden area all summer.  The grass came in but not think, plus it rained 3 days in the week prior so everything was muddy.  I put down straw to help with the mud and it worked well.

I finally cleared an area and moved the covered swing to a good location.  Fire was going, tents setup, and straw bales in place.

The elephant ear plants love that area of the garden.  Additional tent visible.  The rock wall on the left is inline with where the rock wall on the right used to be.

The weather got a bit cold but other than that it was a great night for everyone.

This is a reminder of what that area looked like a few years back after I had taken down a lot of the brush.

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:10:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Elephant Ears grow well in juglone-heavy soil?

View All Quotes
Birthday party pictures.  This turned out to be a lot bigger production than we had anticipated, just from a logistics side of getting everything out in the yard and setup.  I've been working on the yard/garden area all summer.  The grass came in but not think, plus it rained 3 days in the week prior so everything was muddy.  I put down straw to help with the mud and it worked well.

I finally cleared an area and moved the covered swing to a good location.  Fire was going, tents setup, and straw bales in place.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/newyard1_JPG-2134237.jpg

The elephant ear plants love that area of the garden.  Additional tent visible.  The rock wall on the left is inline with where the rock wall on the right used to be.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/newyard2_JPG-2134236.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/newyard3_JPG-2134235.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/newyard4_JPG-2134234.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/newyard5_JPG-2134233.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/newyard6_JPG-2134232.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/newyard7_JPG-2134231.jpg

The weather got a bit cold but other than that it was a great night for everyone.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/newyard8_JPG-2134230.jpg

This is a reminder of what that area looked like a few years back after I had taken down a lot of the brush.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/yard1-2104021.jpg

Elephant Ears grow well in juglone-heavy soil?

These grew that big in the shade and in juglone soil.  There are 3 walnut trees within 50 feet of the plants.  The specific area they are in is slightly further away from the walnut trees and I've been adding compost to the soil every time I work on it.  

The tall plants on the left, I forget their name, were planted this spring.  Go back to page 19 and look up the update from 3/25/2021 and the trench I was digging with my backhoe is how I amended the soil for those plants.  The elephant ears I have had growing in containers for years. The leaves maybe were 2 feet long and a foot wide.  I got tired of dealing with the containers so I just put the plants in the garden to see what happened.

The annuals in front came from the FFA greenhouse sale.  Those were put right at the edge of the grass and the soil was not amended other than putting some compost around them after they were planted.

The tree the picnic table is leaning up against is a walnut tree about 40 feet away.

Link Posted: 10/24/2021 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Interested to see how the elephant ears do.  Will you dig the bulb and bring them in?  They won't survive the winter.

View Quote

Up until this summer the elephant ears were in containers and I bring all them into the basement for the winter.  Tomorrow I'll get a picture of one of the containers and the size they grow in them.  It is crazy how tiny they are in the containers and how big they got in the garden.

I've seen two methods of how to handle them in the winter.  One is to wait until the first frost which will kill off the leaves and then dig up the bulbs and store them in a cool dry place until spring.  The other is to cut the leaves off now, dig up the plant and throw it into a container and put it under lights for the winter.  

I was leaning towards the second option but I read if the bulb has divided into multiple bulbs then it is better to let everything dry out before trying to separate the baby bulbs.  The two big plants have at least 3 new bulbs/shoots coming up around them.  Maybe I will try one each way to see what happens.  

If anyone wants some elephant ear bulbs/tubers let me know. I'll be happy to give some away.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 6:04:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#39]
Nice pics of the BD party Swire. Thanks for those.

I can't imagine a better person to have taken over the stewardship of that property than you.

A trout fishing hole in the creek would have thrown things over the top.

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

I can't imagine a better person to have taken over the stewardship of that property than you.

View Quote

That is a possibility if I could keep the trout in the 600 ft of creek that flows through what I own.  It's got riffles and deep holes.  Heavy rains will raise the creek way up though, huge trees get flushed through it, and I doubt there is enough food in the stream to keep the trout there given that it is a spring that comes out of the ground only 1/4 mile away.  

Anyone know if there is any type of food I could toss into the creek that wouldn't immediately wash away and get fish to come to it?
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 1:27:26 AM EDT
[#41]
I have updates from the past month that I need to post, I just haven't gotten around to it.  The frost finally did get the elephant ears which I dug up and have in my basement.  The largest leaf was 41 inches by 30 inches.  All my container plants were moved inside.  I used the straw from the parties as mulch around the perennials for winter.  The garden prep/clean up is where most my effort went.  Rural King had $9 perennial plants marked down to 25 cents at the end of the season and they were severely neglected.  I bought a dozen and put them in the ground.  Not sure how they will do but if even one makes it then I still got a good deal.  

There are still a ton of projects to finish up.  For example the retaining wall, that is still where I left it as my last update as I shifted to the water line.  The line is in and trench filled but the pavers have not be put back in place yet as I'm waiting to see if the ground will settle any.  The conduit box I installed in the yard still needs some work done on it.  I was actually short on dirt after putting the line in, usually there would be a mound of extra dirt because it needs to settle.

I blew a tire on my mower which then bent part of the parking break mechanism so no fall leaf clean up has been attempted.  I have the new tire and will have to bend the parking break mechanism out of the way to put it on.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#42]

That is a possibility if I could keep the trout in the 600 ft of creek that flows through what I own.  It's got riffles and deep holes.  Heavy rains will raise the creek way up though, huge trees get flushed through it, and I doubt there is enough food in the stream to keep the trout there given that it is a spring that comes out of the ground only 1/4 mile away.  

Anyone know if there is any type of food I could toss into the creek that wouldn't immediately wash away and get fish to come to it?
View All Quotes

Gizzards or roadkill in a mesh sack hung over the stream?
Flies->eggs->maggots which will drop into the water occasionally.  

It won't do anything for the ambiance.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By lokt:

View All Quotes

That might work for the human nuisance problem that I have as well such as homeless people going through my yard to get to the creek to wash up and the scavengers that wade the creek looking for anything on land that isn't tied down.  I don't have any problem with those types of people thinking "that guy is crazy" it is the best way to keep them at bay.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#44]

That might work for the human nuisance problem that I have as well such as homeless people going through my yard to get to the creek to wash up and the scavengers that wade the creek looking for anything on land that isn't tied down.  I don't have any problem with those types of people thinking "that guy is crazy" it is the best way to keep them at bay.
View All Quotes

Ah. Well then it might help the ambiance if it keeps the hobos away.

Link Posted: 12/31/2021 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I haven't done much in the last month and a half but I have updates from before that which I need to post.  Unstable weather gives me migraines and pretty much since Thanksgiving the weather has been all over the place.  Feeding the animals is about all I accomplish and that seems like a major effort some days.

The fox still comes around.  I was able to get a couple pictures with my cellphone tonight.\

He is not acting aggressive, just chewing on food while watching me and listening for sounds behind him.

To give an idea of how close the fox will get to me, I am kneeling next to the flashlight when I am taking the pictures.

Link Posted: 1/1/2022 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 12:14:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#47]

Aww...glad he's still around!  Are you able to go every day?  

View Quote

I go every night unless it is raining or I'm out of town.  He doesn't show up every night though.  This has been going on for about 2 years and he is still very skittish when it comes to getting close to me.  He will sit 20-30 feet away and just hang out if I'm doing things.  Any closer and he is on edge and if I move quick, stumble, or sneeze he will run away.  He will get as close as 5 feet to grab a piece of food but then moves back to at least 10 feet.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:07:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#49]

So many would kill him out of prejudice

View Quote

Of the animals that come onto the property the fox and the possums are least offensive.  I save my prejudice for the squirrels, ground hogs, and now my focus has shifted to the raccoons.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:34:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#50]
Finally getting around to updating the thread.  I really haven't done much since mid-November when the weather started to change but here are all the things I had done prior and just didn't have the energy to post about.  

On the waterline project I used the backhoe to dig the trench and ran 4 different lines.  One water line, one line to be used for irrigation if I put that in, one for low voltage wires such as network cables for cameras or sprinkler control valves, and one for electrical.  I don't have many pictures as I was rushing just to get things done before the weather turned cold.

The new waterline trench to the house.

The fittings through the rock foundation into the basement.  I ended up using 3 of the 80lb bags of quikrete to support the rock foundation as some of the work knocked some rocks out.  That corner is stronger than ever now as I pushed concrete into the gaps of the remaining rocks.

I've already posted a couple pictures of trying to run the line inside the house.  There is still more work to on that and I will have more pictures once I get back to it.  

The back yard in September.  Still a slight mess and construction materials around but it starting to take shape.

Back yard in October.  The new area of grass was starting to come in.  It finally turned green in November and the extra open flat space completely changes the feel of the area.  I still have the garden on the other side to move forward which will start in the spring.

Regarding the elephant ears, for anyone that was curious the largest leaf was 42 inches long and 31 inches wide.

The main plant with 3 new plant shoots coming off of it.

Here is what they look like after a hard frost.  They actually survived two different periods of light frost but the hard frost did them in.

The size of the main steam after cutting back all the leaves.  That is a full size shovel next to it.

That is the whole root system.  Not much to it.  The picture doesn't do it justice, the root ball is about 16 inches in diameter.  I planted one and moved it to my winter grow area and the other I just let sit dry in a tote.  They are supposed to be able to over winter like that so I guess I will find out.

The tote is about 18" x 28".  The core of the elephant ear still seems small in the picture but takes up most of the tote.

My over winter area and plant collection.  I have a drip line with emitters every 12" connected to a timer supplying the water.  Above it is a fixture with 8 4' fluorescent bulbs.
It's a mixture of many types of plants.  Multiple tropical hibiscus, two rose bushes, many elephant ears, a day lily, a thyme plant, an aloe plant, multiple Amaryllis plants that I get to rebloom every year, and even a Miltoniopsis orchid which keeps living no matter what I do to it.

A newer project is a war on the raccoons.  They are everywhere and inside buildings that they should not be in.  The biggest problem is they know how to steal the bait from the traps without tripping them.

I have caught 3 so far but I have seen others.

Not only are they smart enough to not trip the trap but if they accidentally do they are strong enough to rip open the metal trap and get out. Imagine having that large and pissed off raccoon living in your attic.  

Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top