Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Do you have enough of that to section off a bit of it?  I can come up and treat or send you the stuff to treat, and see if the results are any different.  Still won't be random enough to be experimentally significant, but if you get results, we could broaden the experiment and set up experimentally significant, randomized groupings within that area.  If you see results that are documentable in a scenario like that, it would be time to take it to UK--or even KU, if you found interest in researching juglone toxicity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SWIRE:

That was my thought as well.  If I get something I'm fairly confident in I was thinking of taking it to the University of Kentucky and see if they would have any interest in running some trials.  I'm not that confident that I have something yet.

I need to get some pictures today and post an update as there are recent developments, one of which has me scratching my head.  A long hot and dry spell followed by rain, like we just had, is one of the triggers for the negative juglone reactions. I posted pictures of it last year and I'm seeing it this year already, including in one of the plants that should have been more tolerant.  That plant is on the edge in the grass though zone.  That might be where your product would be helpful.

I am starting my next level of experimentation though.  I'm creating the most juglone toxic soil I can imagine and see if I can get my seeds to sprout and then grow.  

Do you have enough of that to section off a bit of it?  I can come up and treat or send you the stuff to treat, and see if the results are any different.  Still won't be random enough to be experimentally significant, but if you get results, we could broaden the experiment and set up experimentally significant, randomized groupings within that area.  If you see results that are documentable in a scenario like that, it would be time to take it to UK--or even KU, if you found interest in researching juglone toxicity.

How big of the section would it need to be?  I have 2 plants are dying off already and a 3rd that isn't looking too hot but they are spread out.  Those areas would be known hot spots that I could treat and try again.  Plants are spaced  3-4 feet apart.

Here is one of the plants that I just lost.  It came from the second batch of planting after the late freeze but it was from same batch of plants.  I had extra that I didn't plant and had been trying to give them away.  It spent an extra 2 weeks in its small grown cell and that seemed to have really stunted them.  The whole second planting looks terrible compared to the earlier batch that got frost bite and lost their main stems.  There is also a possibility this was a seed from a different variety.  Another plant is looking similar to this one and I expect it to be gone in a couple days.  Between these two there is are a couple very healthy plants growing.  

How long does your product take to work?  Is it instant and then should be good to go or does it take time to break down into the soil and it wouldn't be ready to test until next year?

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
This plant I know is of the variety that should be more tolerant.  This was taken 2 days ago the wilting was obvious.  The rest of the plants, other than 2 I previously mentioned, looked great.  Today it was looking better but from what I have seen once the effects start there is no stopping or reversing them.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the thread Swire, I've been enjoying it for more than 3 years now. Please keep it up, people that, (like me), may never again have their own homestead, can still learn things. Once you quit learning, you die.

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:
Thanks for the thread Swire, I've been enjoying it for more than 3 years now. Please keep it up, people that, (like me), may never again have their own homestead, can still learn things. Once you quit learning, you die.

View Quote

Glad I could provide a little entertainment value.  If you have any questions on anything I'm doing or would like to see something done feel free to ask.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#5]
A little update on the well behind the house.  When I bought the place it looked like this.

I was told it was a hand dug brick lined well but that is not the case.  I pulled the pump, it was about 45 feet of pipe to the bottom and it is just a 4" bore hole.  I have video of it if anyone is interested.  It looks like a colonoscopy but through limestone.  In previous updates I mentioned that at first I couldn't get to the water because there was a cap of organic matter.  I got all that cleared out and was able to flush out a lot of sediment with my air lift pump.

For about 9 months I've been trying to get a new pump in the well.  Turns out a 4" pump doesn't fit in a 4" bore hole.  I picked up a solar powered pump, uses 24v DC, that is 3.25 inches wide, got it 3 feet down the pipe and it became stuck.  The top 7 feet is a steel pipe before transitioning to the bore hole through the limestone.  The pipe had corroded and the pump would not fit. How do you grind out a 4" pipe in an area that is 3 feet below the surface?  Eventually I found a 3 foot bit extender and a 3" 40 grit flapping disc.  That worked, then the pump got stuck again at 4 feet.  I bought a 5 foot bit extension and went back to sanding off the pipe.  It took a few hours working the flap wheel but eventually I got the pipe opened up enough that the pump would fit.

There I was excited that after 9 months I was finally going to be able pump water from the well and hopefully fill the cistern with it.  I turned on the pump and water started flowing.  I filled a 5 gallon bucket, then another, and then the water stream got smaller and then nothing.    I tried again an hour later expecting to get another 12 gallons from it, nope only 2.5 gallons.  Most wells are gallons per minute, my well recover at a rate of gallons per hour.  

I researched various treatment options, most sound as expensive as drilling a new well would be.  The cheapest and what I'm hoping works is a chemical treatment to dissolve the calcium scale that is blocking the water from flowing into the well.  The water in the area is extremely hard water due to the limestone.  The problem is I have no idea what the original flow rate of the well was.  With a hand pump 12 gallons in the morning and at night would be plenty of water.  

I tried my first treatment, using muriatic acid with is 30% HCL.  I pumped the well out, poured the acid in, and let it sit for 5 days.  When I put the pump back in and pumped it out a decent amount of sediment came out but the well ran dry after 12 gallons again.  In my latest measurement it showed that I'm now recovering at 6 gallons per hour instead of 2.5.  I will do another round of the acid treatment.  The goal would be to get enough water flowing in that my pump could run continuously.  If I can't achieve that I will have to buy a smaller and lower volume pump.  

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The tomato plant that was starting to wilt above isn't going to make it.  It looked much worse today and I decided to pull it from the garden.

This is the first plant of the variety that I have been cultivating that was seriously affected by juglone.  A second plant is also starting to show signs.  Several plants are growing in an odd way but are still healthy.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2020 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Details my tomato plants in very toxic Walnut soil experiment.

First start with 5 gallons of organic matter gathered directly below a 100 year old walnut tree.  The walnut hulls, bark, and twigs are clearly visible.

Second, collect walnuts, walnuts with the husk on it, new green walnuts with a husk, twigs, and leaves.

Third grind them up.  This is 100% walnut organic matter from the most toxic part of the tree.

Fourth, add the soil to a container and top with the freshly ground walnut matter.  Then add tomato seeds.

Fifth, watch the seeds sprout in the walnut organic matter.

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:04:13 AM EDT
[#8]
It doesn't take much for tomato seeds to sprout and the fact that they did does not mean much.  Can they grow true leaves is the first important step.  

After a few days it is apparent the tomato plants are very stressed.  Despite the soil having plenty of moisture if the seedlings do not get watered every morning they quickly show signs of wilting.

Give them some water and they quickly snap back.

The seeds were planted on 6/24/2020.  They were all emerged by 6/30/2020.  It has been a week since then and they are starting to show signs of true leaves.  They still wilt quickly if they are not watered every morning.  I have the container located in a spot that only receives mid-day and afternoon sun.  I haven't moved them to an area of full day direct sunlight yet due to the obvious signs of stress. At this point it is a waiting game to see what happens.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:12:58 AM EDT
[#9]
The bridge project is still a work in progress.  I ordered a cement mixer about a month ago and it still has not arrived.  On the bridge support the rock that is at the top of the water is the last rock, there is a 16" hole below it that extends 18" under the bridge.  It needs to be supported and concrete added to prevent it from washing away further.  I've been working on ideas to redirect the water so that I could place forms in the correct area.

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#10]
A new cistern pump has been put in place.  This pump can run at least 2 sprinkler heads at full pressure.  The cistern is almost out of water so I haven't bothered trying to connect more.  The well still has an acid treatment going on to see if the flow can be increased.  If not I will have to figure out a way to pump water directly from the creek.  

Continuing to trim back the trees and clean up the brush.

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:28:12 AM EDT
[#11]
One thing that I have been doing with the tomatoes is removing the wilting/dying plants but then replanting that exact same spot with a sucker pruned from another test plant.  I am not doing anything special to grow the sucker, no rooting hormone or getting the sucker started first; simply cutting it off one plant, trimming most the leaves off of it, and putting it straight into the ground.  The success rate, as far as the sucker surviving and growing, is over 50% which is very surprising.  This will help determine if the original plant was weak or if the soil is really toxic.

Original plant was wilting severely and was not going to make it.  It was pulled.

A sucker cut from another plant in the test area was dropped straight in where the dying plant was removed.  This is after several days and the sucker seems to have taken hold.

That area is the out grass edge of test plot.  This pictures shows that all plants in that area are struggling.

Not all is lost.  This plant was planted in the root zone of the walnut tree and is doing great.

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:15:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#12]
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#13]
liquid aeration

Interesting. I had to look that up and read the Amazon reviews..
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 12:50:50 AM EDT
[#14]

But it would be interesting to see if you notice a difference in same cultivars planted in same soil  BUT...some are treated and some are not.

View Quote

I have a test area that it could be tried out on.  Six of the eight plants have been severely affected.  This area was grass under the drip line of the walnut tree so no real build up of organic matter and exposed to the sun and rain causing it to be compacted.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2020 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Thoughts on the tomato  production in the walnut tree area?  The soil aeration must have something to do with it.  The worst growing area is right at the edge of the drip line. That ground was previously grass and very hard.  It was not supplemented with any organic matter, just tore a hole up with the backhoe and dropped the plants in.  The tomato cages are 54 inches.  The first picture is a plant that was planted directly on the roots of the walnut tree.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been some excavation around the property.  Finding a lot of broken glass everywhere.  I did find one fully intact bottle from the late 1800s early 1900s.  It is fig syrup which was marketed to treat constipation.

About 1/10th the glass I cleaned up so far.

Other finds are a 5 foot section of railroad track, a couple bottles and a pull tab Pepsi can.

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#18]
As previously mentioned a portion of the property has been taken over by an invasive species tree.  It is named the tree of heaven (Ailanthus altissima) known by a number of names including stinking sumac, Chinese sumac, and varnish tree.  It is a very fast growing tree, puts out thousands of seed pods every spring, is brittle because it grows too fast, and goes hollow in the middle.  

I took one down and noticed that a black cherry tree I knew was dying was pretty much dead.  To the right of it is another tree of heaven that is just as tall.  The black cherry tree had about a 20" stump.  The tree of heaven had around a 14 inch stump.

I took the black cherry down and the whole top of it shattered when it hit the ground as it has been dead for a long time.  I used the backhoe and was trying to dig it out.  I had cut the roots 90% around it but it wouldn't budge.  Finally dug on the back side and figured out why.  That cross section in front of the saw, is the size of the root and the back side of the tree!  The piece of wood in front of that is a double root that I had cut out.  

The cherry tree down.  The leaves are from the tree of heaven.

The wood peckers have been enjoying the tree.

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:01:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#19]
Once the cherry tree was down I started in on the tree of heaven next to it.  The center was already rotting and going hollow.  I barely started the back cut and the trunk snapped.  It isn't that old of a tree but they just rot from the inside out.

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#20]
A before picture, one of the 4 trees was already removed.  The rocks had been built up around the cherry tree to sort of make a terrace.  They were just laying on the ground and had started to fall over.  I pulled all of those out and plan to fill in the low area with dirt to make it flat and usable.   There are still several small hackberry trees that I need to remove.  They are taking over the property just as bad as the Chinese tree.

After

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Cool stuff unearthed.

I've seen some interesting craft/jewelry  anvils made from railroad track sections.

Is it good for knife making also?
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:17:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#22]
Originally Posted By kar98k:
Cool stuff unearthed.

I've seen some interesting craft/jewelry  anvils made from railroad track sections.

Is it good for knife making also?
View Quote

It's heavy, that is really all I know.  It was a struggle just to move that short piece.  It would have to be strong to hold up to the weight of train but I don't know if that strength would translate into hardness for a knife blade.  

When I started pulling out bottles I was hoping I would hit on a cache of early Elijah Craig Bourbon. So far that has eluded me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 2:25:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Every one of us who owns an old house is still looking for the secret hidden box of money.

Bourbon would be darn near as good, though. I doubt money from 1850 would be worth much now.

View Quote
As collector's items... the value of old banknotes and coins can be substantial.

Back then, coins were made of gold and silver... which always have some value.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 12:29:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#27]
An update on my war with the various critters.  

In the last 12 months I have removed 11 ground hogs from my back yard. Two were this spring and I haven't seen any sign of them since.  In one stretch of the garden this spring I planted 18 tomato plants.  The ground hogs ate 13 of them and injured others so bad that they have produced nothing this year.  

Next I focused on my war with the squirrels, as they are tearing holes in the house and living inside it.  They also love to chew electrical wires.  My biggest fear is the house burning down due to an electrical fire that they have caused.  I bought a squirrelinator trap.  So far I have removed 30 squirrels, all caught within 20 feet of my house!  I had no idea there were that many squirrels around.  

This year I have also have to deal with moles.  They have been making runs all over the property.  I've removed 3 large moles already.  In the tomato test plot they dug tunnels from one tomato plant to another.  

Raccoons are the next struggle.  I haven't seen much activity from them but I know they are also living in the house.  I have a deer feeder that I setup towards the back of the property.  In the fall I get no deer at it but I have pictures of a dozen raccoons eating at it.

Squirrelinator trap.  This thing is very effective at catching squirrels.

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Did you catch 30 squirrels or the same 6 squirrels 5 times?

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 8:09:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#29]
Originally Posted By kar98k:
Did you catch 30 squirrels or the same 6 squirrels 5 times?

View Quote

Good question.  I can guarantee you it was 30 different squirrels.  Early on I relocated critters to a wildlife management area about 8 miles away.  I do something different now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#30]
What's in your arsenal for the moles? I've got those little bastards tearing up my lawn something fierce this year.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Good question.  I can guarantee you it was 30 different squirrels.  Early on I relocated critters to a wildlife management area about 8 miles away.  I do something different now.
View Quote
Squirrel is a fine meal.

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By blackx-runner:
What's in your arsenal for the moles? I've got those little bastards tearing up my lawn something fierce this year.
View Quote

Shovel, boot, and tractor.  I haven't gotten anything specific for them yet.  I just happen to see fresh dirt and I can get them that way.  They don't really seem to use the same path or maybe my yard has been invaded by 30 moles and I'm only seeing the new tunnels they are digging.  They are going everywhere.

If I get something it will be one of these.

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm ok with these two animals being in my yard.  The fox comes through the yard every night.  I'll throw out left over food for it.  Apparently the possum has noticed the food as well.  

Screenshot below is from the video.

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Shovel, boot, and tractor.  I haven't gotten anything specific for them yet.  I just happen to see fresh dirt and I can get them that way.  They don't really seem to use the same path or maybe my yard has been invaded by 30 moles and I'm only seeing the new tunnels they are digging.  They are going everywhere.

If I get something it will be one of these.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0073/1797/9225/products/3KJF9_AS02_700x700.jpg?v=1553291771
View Quote

Don't get that style.  Get this style: trap

I've had much better luck with this style.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#35]
@Kitties-with-Sigs

What are you thoughts on the tomato plants growing in the walnut soil without any real deformity and producing tomatoes?  The largest tomatoes came from the middle of the garden and plants that were actually planted with pieces of the walnut tree roots.  Given how the soil was dug up to remove the root ball it had better aeration and the plants in the root ball zone did the best.

These are the larger tomatoes that were produced.  At the bottom is a tape measure to show the relative size.  Almost all the plants grew without major problems and the plants over where the root ball was grew to be extra large.  I watered the plants twice during the summer as I wanted them stressed.  The inconsistent watering is what caused all the cracks in the tomatoes.

Tomatoes grown in soil that was previously occupied by a 50 year old walnut tree.

Tomato plants growing well in walnut soil.  The cages are 54" tall with about 6" into the ground.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 11:39:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#36]
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#37]

The soil where the root ball was is the LEAST juglone heavy soil in that area.

I might be wrong, but that's my theory.  Beyond that, it was also the BEST AERATED, which means the juglone that was present, affected the plants the least.  (Maybe.)

You dug that root ball out.  You shoved something else in there.  That soil you shoved in there has less juglone present than does the soil that was undisturbed in the dripline.

What do you think of this theory?

View Quote

I thought the roots were supposed to have some of the highest concentrations of juglone?  I would assume the walnut husk would actually be the most toxic but after that would be the roots.  Thoughts?

I did remove the root ball but I just pushed all the soil back in into the hole, I didn't add anything.  All the soil involved came from under the drip line.  Being heavy clay soil, the juglone might not have traveled far and the resulting mixed soil was less toxic. It still came from directly under a 50 year old walnut tree.  

This is a picture of one of the plants.  I left the walnut roots in place when I planted it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/walnut_tomato_testarea_walnutroot-1435608.jpg

Walnut roots in relation to plant location.  The roots picture relate to plants 22 and 29.

I do have some crude notes.  Each plant was numbered, the next line was plant size, and then documented approximately how many and size of the tomatoes it produced.   The rows were spaced about 4-5' apart and the plants 4' apart.  
20-22 and 27-29 is where the root ball was.  Plants 29 and 30 did the best.  
What is odd is 17,19,25 died 21 was a poor plant that produced nothing but they were all surrounded by XL plants and some of the best producers.

Plant #3 I covered early in the summer, it got hit by juglone toxicity early, wilted, and died.  It was in the grass zone at the edge of the drip line.  After it died I took a sucker, I believe from #26 and just stuck it into the ground.  I wanted to see if #3 was a weak plant to begin with or the soil was that toxic.  The sucker has grown without deformity or wilt.  It is producing a couple smaller tomatoes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#38]

And then I would collect the fruit from 5' out, 7' out, and 9' out (or whatever measurements make sense) and I would save the seeds from all of those separately.

View Quote

Done and done.  If you notice the tomatoes in the picture they are numbered.  That corresponds to their plant location.  All the seeds have been processed and are drying.  I covered that process previously in this thread.

I have another test going which I think will be a better/quicker way to see if I'm on to something.  It is at the top of this page, the seedlings in 100% walnut husks and organic matter.  I need to get an updated picture tomorrow to finish the first update.  

A little preview though, the results surprised me.  Most of the seedlings are extremely deformed and will never recover, a couple seedlings on the edges have recovered.  That brings up the question of aeration again.  The walnut soil was not compressed but along the edge the dirt will have pulled away from the edges allowing more air/water to get to the roots.  I believe that is why those seedlings have recovered.   I will be transplanting those seedlings into separate containers of heavy walnut matter and see if they continue to grow or are stunted again.   The I will repeat the seedling test with the recently harvested batch of seeds.

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 12:19:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 12:21:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 12:27:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Update on the 100% walnut organic matter growing material and tomato test.

The initial pictures are up above.  The seedlings were sprouted by 7/1/2020.  I was surprised at how many actually germinated.  In the pictures above it was clear the walnut soil was stressing the seedlings as they would wilt every single day and had to be watered every single day.

This picture is 7/12/2020 and the seedlings look the same with true leaves starting to show.  The problem is they should have had true leaves bigger than the starter leaves at this point.

8/4/2020  The plants are over 1 month old and are none have functional true leaves.  Almost all the true leaves that tried to grow are extremely deformed.

8/12/2020  Of all the seedlings only 2 plants have recovered enough to grow proper true leaves, one on each end.  Those leaves are still small and slightly deformed but overall they look like they should.  The rest of the plants are never going to produce anything and I started culling them.

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#43]
8/25/2020  A close up of the deformities caused by the juglone soil.  The plants are still alive but at almost 2 months old they have no functional true leaves.

A few of the plants have tried to develop true leaves and were more successful but the leaves are so deformed that it will never produce.  

Then there are 2 plants which have seemed to overcome the toxicity of the juglone, at least to the point that they can develop properly shaped leaves and branches.  These plants are 60 days old but have the structure of a plant that is only 25 days old.  Both plants are near a corner, which brings up the subject of soil aeration.  As previously shown the juglone wilted the seedlings and they needed water daily. It is possible the roots of these plants grew to the plastic walls which channel water to the roots.  Also as the dirt dries it shrinks and pulls away from the walls, creating an air gap that the roots could grow into as well as creating a larger channel for water.  

The next step will be to transplant these two plants into larger containers, also full of 100% walnut matter, and see how they do.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2020 1:00:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#45]
It's interesting.  The deformity looks almost like herbicide damage.

Which makes perfect sense, really, but I just never thought of it.

View Quote

What are you thoughts on the two plants that are looking good now?  There are other plants near the edges and corners that didn't recover.  I'm not sure if those seeds just ended up in slightly better soil or if the plants are actually able to tolerate it.  I've seen one or two walnuts in a container kill off apple trees.  This was a container of walnuts matter, with young green walnuts with husks, older walnuts, walnut leaves, and walnut twigs; making it as toxic as one can get.  The fact that two plants look stunted but normal is amazing to me.  I figured they would all just die after spouting.  You can even see part of the walnut shell right next to the stem of the largest of the plants.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 7:51:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#46]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Something a little different.  This guy shows up right at dusk every night.  I call him "puppy" as that was the first name that came to mind seeing him sit like this.

Look at the silly squirrel just sleeping there in the lawn.     One less squirrel to worry about living in my house this winter.

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:51:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#49]
That is troublesome squirrel number 40 for the year.  All were caught within 20 feet of the house.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#50]
I finally got around to transplanting the two tomato plants that survived the walnut media.
Two things about the picture.  First the plant has grown quickly compared to the last update.  Second, to the left of the plant and in the middle of the container you will see a small seedling with real leaves.  That plant is from my second generation of seeds that I harvested just a few weeks ago.  After I processed the seeds I put 3 in the container just as a test to see if they would germinate.  Two of the three germinated, one was slow growing and slightly deformed but third is growing at the rate one would expect in good soil.  I transplanted both of the older plants and then this new plant.  They were transplanted into fresh walnut material just to make sure they didn't land in a non-toxic part of the original soil.

As I theorized the large plant did push it root system to the sidewalls.  That would allow it have access to more air and water as the dirt contracts and pulls away from the wall plus the wall would funnel additional water down the cracks.  Both of the older plants that made it had root systems that were strongest along the walls of the container.   Still they were both stunted as young plants and took over a month to start growing leaves.  The Gen 2 seedling was placed in the middle of the contain to eliminate it exploiting the container walls.  Even with that eliminated it was not stunted and grew quick, which makes it a very interesting case.

Here is the walnut material used to fill the transplant containers.

First transplant container.

Large older plant transplanted.

Second plant being transplanted.

Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top