Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I start work on removing another tree stump.  This was a 32" diameter black cherry tree that I cut down a couple years ago.  I liked the tree but I could tell it was dying.  When we cut it down we found 1/3 of the wood inside had already deteriorated.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2020 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Black cherry is beautiful wood.

Was it all just bonfire material at that point?

Link Posted: 3/29/2020 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kar98k:
Black cherry is beautiful wood.

Was it all just bonfire material at that point?

View Quote

I save a 12 foot log from the main part of the trunk.  You can actually see it in the top right of the picture.  It's the big log with the end painted black.  Half of it was very solid and I might be able to get some planks from it.  I have a couple other logs sitting there as well.  It will be easier for me to have a portable saw mill come out than try to take them to a sawmill.  It might end up as firewood at the end of the day though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SWIRE:

I save a 12 foot log from the main part of the trunk.  You can actually see it in the top right of the picture.  It's the big log with the end painted black.  Half of it was very solid and I might be able to get some planks from it.  I have a couple other logs sitting there as well.  It will be easier for me to have a portable saw mill come out than try to take them to a sawmill.  It might end up as firewood at the end of the day though.
View Quote

Want! lol Theres probably some nice pieces in that stump too
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Tulips have started to bloom.  Nothing like the original year the bulbs were planted but it still provides some color.

Plus had a fire going in my now approved firepit.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Nice stacked rocks!  Did those all come from the property?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Tulips have started to bloom.  Nothing like the original year the bulbs were planted but it still provides some color.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/tulips_2020-1351264.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/tulips_2020_g-1351275.jpg

Plus had a fire going in my now approved firepit.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/fire_4_4_20-1351276.jpg

Nice stacked rocks!  Did those all come from the property?

Most of the rocks came from the property. There are stone fences and stone retaining walls all over the property.  Some of the rocks came from an external location.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been getting a lot of work done lately thanks to it being warmer and little rain.  

From a couple weeks back.  The circle garden is finally starting to look nice.  A heavy layer of chopped up leaves has helped keep the weeds down but they will still bust through in another month.

Another clean up fire.  With so many trees it is a never ending job just to keep the sticks and branches picked up.

Firepit view looking towards the creek.  The view will change significantly in pictures that will follow.

View from by the house to the firepit.  The back yard is still rough as I have a lot of clean up to do.

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Part of the clean up is removing the huge black cherry strump.  Finally got that out.  

View from the firepit towards the shed before some clean up work.

View after trimming the trees and removing honeysuckle.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Creek view before starting clean up

After some clean up.

By the creek before.

After removing a lot of honeysuckle.

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Middle section of the lower back yard before

After

Firepit to creek before

After clean up

It is now possible to see the dam from the near side of the creek.

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#12]
The camera makes it difficult to show the scale of what was going on.  The clean up took about 2 hours with the tractor.  The lower section by the creek was about 40'x 40'.  The middle section was 30' x 50'.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Very impressive.  It is amazing how much better the view is after that clean up.  Keep up the good work, this thread helps to inspire me to tackle some of my daunting clean up projects!
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By PalmettoState:
Very impressive.  It is amazing how much better the view is after that clean up.  Keep up the good work, this thread helps to inspire me to tackle some of my daunting clean up projects!
View Quote

A tractor with a backhoe helps a lot.  Thankfully honeysuckle has a shallow root system and I'm able to knock it over with the bucket and scoop it out in the second pass.  If the brush was actual trees the bucket would be useless and they would either need to be cut down or use the backhoe to dig them out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Next up the conduit that I'm running to the middle of the yard.  The trench shows up in my my over head picture for the solar project.  I ran out of the time/weather with the trencher and the last 20 feet was not done.  Also the last 70 feet I was not really happy with the trench as I had hit some bedrock and it was shallower than I had wanted.  Plus dirt had filled in part of it.  I decided to cut the conduit redig out the trench to make sure I had it plenty deep.  

Area that I ran into bedrock and had to raise the trencher.  I came back and dug out a bigger hole to get at the rock and to split the conduit.  I pulled out that section of conduit to redig the trench.

Scale is hard to tell but the trench is 12 inches wide, over 3 feet deep in some spots, and the conduit is a 3".  

Spliced the conduit back together.

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Still not done with the conduit yet as it started to rain.  I need to cut it, put the elbow on, and the vertical pipe.   That trench will also be used to run a conduit for network cables.  That way I can have some hard wired cameras put up which are much more reliable than wireless.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#17]
On to some garden and flowerbed work.  

The lazy but very quick way to prep the garden.

Prep work done. The soil has not been disturbed and is still hard.  Which makes planting more difficult.  So I'm not sure I saved any time.  

Part of the garden still contains this type of dirt, heavy clay.  You can see a little bit of black organic matter getting worked in from the top.  The dirt came out in a solid chunk.  This was one of the worst holes that I dug.  The previous additions of compost, wood chips, and sand are helping.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#18]
This spot is surrounded by walnut trees.  Each red line is a walnut trunk, 30 to 50 feet from the garden.  The variety of tomato I planted came from seeds I harvested last year from plants that seemed more tolerant of the growing conditions.  There are previous updates in this thread about that.  I will also be adding a new area to test out growing in walnut/juglone soil which I will talk about in future updates.

There are 18 tomatoes put in the ground here.  I was going to add wood chip mulch around them but it started raining before I got to that.  I've seen at least one ground hog back in the yard.  It better not touch the plants.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I also started some additional prep on the flower beds.  The beds need to be moved 10 to 15 feet towards the house to create a more usable space behind them.  I've extended them towards the house in previous years.  This year I'm extending them even further.  Now that I have done more clean up it is easier to get a better feel for what fits in the area.  The rear wall will be moved in front of the trees.  The path between will be widened.

This is just a preliminary layout, those rocks will not be there at the end.  I dug a new front side of the flowerbed and put in annuals, just to see how things look and feel.  Once I get a size and shape that I'm happy with then I will have to come up with a proper plan for what to put in there.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:18:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#20]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:02:41 AM EDT
[#21]

You know...you have a PRIME location to start a daylilly and iris farm.  Have people out on weekends while the plants are blooming.  Serve cookies and coffee.  Invite the garden clubs.  (Bring in the local high school horticulture club as slave labor.  Let them set up a tent to sell brownies and lemonade. They can dig the plants people want to buy.

It would become an annual event.

$$$

Just sayin.

Heck...you could get your tasting license and host "Bourbon and Blooms at the Reverend Elijah Craig House"

People would drive from all over.

View All Quotes
I also started some additional prep on the flower beds.  The beds need to be moved 10 to 15 feet towards the house to create a more usable space behind them.  I've extended them towards the house in previous years.  This year I'm extending them even further.  Now that I have done more clean up it is easier to get a better feel for what fits in the area.  The rear wall will be moved in front of the trees.  The path between will be widened.

This is just a preliminary layout, those rocks will not be there at the end.  I dug a new front side of the flowerbed and put in annuals, just to see how things look and feel.  Once I get a size and shape that I'm happy with then I will have to come up with a proper plan for what to put in there.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/flowergarden_layout1-1387774.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/flowergarden_layout2-1387773.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/flowergarden_layout3-1387772.jpg

You know...you have a PRIME location to start a daylilly and iris farm.  Have people out on weekends while the plants are blooming.  Serve cookies and coffee.  Invite the garden clubs.  (Bring in the local high school horticulture club as slave labor.  Let them set up a tent to sell brownies and lemonade. They can dig the plants people want to buy.

It would become an annual event.

$$$

Just sayin.

Heck...you could get your tasting license and host "Bourbon and Blooms at the Reverend Elijah Craig House"

People would drive from all over.

Thank you for the ideas.  There are daylillies all over the place but most don't seem to produce.  I'm not sure if they age out like tulips do.  Everything would have to be replanted anyway.  The patch of wild black raspberries will be removed after the growing season is over this year.  That will really change the look and layout of the back yard by opening that area up.  

I'm tempted to take the maple tree in that area from 3 trunks down to one.  It is shading everything.  There is still very little of the yard that gets full sun.  The spot where I was going to put the second solar array is completely shaded by 5pm now due to another maple tree.  Now I'm considering removing more hackberry trees and moving my first array.  The more I open up the yard the more I want to open it up further.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:07:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Tomato plants are ready to go in the ground.  The dark green fuller plants on the left are my unknown variety going back 2 generations from seeds that I saved.  They are very healthy looking plants, thick stalks, and a couple are even producing tomatoes already. The ones on the right were growing in the same type of trays, same soil, and same light conditions.  The plants on the right are still decent strong plants, just not as thick and full.    

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#25]
The tulips are still looking good though. Is this the 3rd year for them?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Are the robust plants the ones that are also juglone tolerant?

View All Quotes
Tomato plants are ready to go in the ground.  The dark green fuller plants on the left are my unknown variety going back 2 generations from seeds that I saved.  They are very healthy looking plants, thick stalks, and a couple are even producing tomatoes already. The ones on the right were growing in the same type of trays, same soil, and same light conditions.  The plants on the right are still decent strong plants, just not as thick and full.    

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/tomatoe_plants-1390097.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/tomatoe_plant_with_tomatoe-1390095.jpg

Are the robust plants the ones that are also juglone tolerant?

Yes they are.  Those plants came from the same batch of seeds that I sent you.  Did you get them?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 13starsinax:
The tulips are still looking good though. Is this the 3rd year for them?
View Quote

Yes, this is the 3rd year for the tulips.  They produced about 1/3 of what they did the first year.  It was still nice to see them come up though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:59:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#28]
The weather this spring has really messed things up.  I put out a bunch of tomato plants, then the cold north air hit mid-May and froze everything.  I put plastic over the plants and it helped but they were still damaged.

I have a test area to really test if I have seeds that are more tolerant of juglone.  Last year I removed the walnut and hackberry trees with the giant root ball to make way for the solar system.  Where the walnut tree was is my now my test garden.  

The first step was to loosen the dirt enough to plant. Even with a backhoe this process took a long time.

Planting the tomato plants in the walnut soil. In this instance you can see part of the walnut tree roots right next to where the plant is going.

After all the plants were in.

The freezing temperatures came and I tried to save the plants.

The plants were injured but not killed off completely.  They have since started shooting out new branches as the tops die off.

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:05:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#29]
Some of the plants are showing possible signs of juglone toxicity already but it is hard to tell.  They were recently planted, stressed by temperatures, and placed in hard packed clay soil.  The leaves at the top are all bunched up and twisted.  Time will tell.

Here is one of the plants damaged by the cold temperatures.  It is from a different section of garden, not the new test area.  The main step was frozen and died, that is where the plastic was touching the plant.  New leaves can be seen at the bottom of the stem. It should recover, it just set it back 30 days.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I do have updates, I just haven't had time to post them.  I've been distracted by another project.  If you go back to my first post in this thread you will see I ask if anyone on a whim has bought a house needing work sight unseen...well I just did it again.  I was looking at locations in other counties as my local area has high taxes and before the virus hit he was warning us to expect sticker shock when we see his proposed tax increase.  One option he was looking at was taxing business on gross receipts instead of net profit.  You read that right, one plan is tax businesses on everything including expenses.  Hell no.  

I started tracking properties on auction sites just to see what was out there.  I found a couple properties in counties with no taxes on businesses or payroll taxes. Nothing big or even nice, just something to move my business to.  Then the virus hit.  There was a vacant property which looked liked it had some type of water damage that was on my watch list.  On a whim I decided to throw out a low ball bid hoping that the virus and fear of a crashing economy would motivate them to take it.  My bid was 12.5% of the reserve price they had.  After a little bit of back and forth with the auction company the seller accepted.   Then the fun part came, telling my wife I had just done.  She had no idea I was even throwing out offers as I didn't expect any of them to accept.  She was not amused especially since it needs some work as well.

I now have a 1.6 acres out in the country with an ok condition 3 bedroom modular home.  The property line is encroached upon as a prior owner had both properties and put fences up where he wanted.  The barns do not come with it unfortunately.  I'm working on finding the property pins and tracking down the other property owner, which is a bit difficult given we have been locked down.  Compared to being on main street in town, the place is nice, relaxing, and peaceful.

Approximate property line

Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Congrats!

How long is the drive from town?

We picked up an adjacent 20 acres last year.  It's hard enough to find time to get over there to work on it when it's literally the next field over... if I had to load up and drive I'd never get anything done!
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:
Congrats!

How long is the drive from town?

We picked up an adjacent 20 acres last year.  It's hard enough to find time to get over there to work on it when it's literally the next field over... if I had to load up and drive I'd never get anything done!
View Quote

That is great that you were able to expand.  You have a great location.  How did the grass turn out.  Did it take and grow like expected?

The property I bought is about an hour drive.  Not exactly close but not terribly far either.  It requires planning ahead and loading up to do work there.  Last time I was there to mow one of the transmission belts shredded after 2 passes in the yard.  I had to load back up and go home.  I fixed the mower and have it ready to be loaded up again so I can go back and finish the job.  I have a second mower that I will keep there.  It is small and under powered but once I get the weeds knocked down it should be good enough to get the job done.

I'm not sure on the water situation yet.  It has a big cistern and there is a pump under the house to move the water but the pipes to it are broke. There is also a county water meter in the front yard but I didn't see any pipe from the meter to the house.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Very cool. I'll have to read through this. I've been on a similar mission the past year. Bought a log fort built in 1770. Then turned into a plantation. I've got most of the 1850s plaster off the logs inside, spent much of the time metal detecting the yard, busy with the garden at the moment. The list goes on....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:
Very cool. I'll have to read through this. I've been on a similar mission the past year. Bought a log fort built in 1770. Then turned into a plantation. I've got most of the 1850s plaster off the logs inside, spent much of the time metal detecting the yard, busy with the garden at the moment. The list goes on....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/1659ED18-DFFF-4CB4-ACD4-4118FDC8C0EC__2_-1458401.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/DFC27270-4EAB-4A42-AA2E-B35F3AEF45D4_jpg-1458402.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/IMG_2080_jpg-1458403.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/0A352A7C-5750-4246-8AA1-2003E63C9ACA__5_-1458406.JPG
View Quote

Nice house and a great view.  I haven't focused on the actual house much yet.  The yard was in terrible shape, over grown with honeysuckle, debris/trash scattered everywhere, and the mosquitoes and fleas would swam you within 30 seconds of stepping outside.  It took a heavy dose of bug spray any time you wanted to go outside.  I've cleaned up a lot of yard but still have more to do.  I can at least walk outside without being swarmed and enjoy the yard some what.  

The house goes back to 1789 but that is just 2 rooms.  A second house was built by a US General in 1812.  Then in 1870 the houses were merged together.  Other additions were added probably 1930, 1950, and 2005. In most cases they built over top of the existing houses instead of tearing down to add on.  There is still part of a wooden shingle roof under one section of the roof and part of the 1812 roof is there under the 1870 roof but I haven't squeezed into that area yet.  

Do you know if you have any hidden rooms or hidden access points to get under the floors?  I have 3 hidden access points in the floors just like in the movies.  Throw a rug and table over it and no one would ever know it was there.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#35]

That is great that you were able to expand.  You have a great location.  How did the grass turn out.  Did it take and grow like expected?

The property I bought is about an hour drive.  Not exactly close but not terribly far either.  It requires planning ahead and loading up to do work there.  Last time I was there to mow one of the transmission belts shredded after 2 passes in the yard.  I had to load back up and go home.  I fixed the mower and have it ready to be loaded up again so I can go back and finish the job.  I have a second mower that I will keep there.  It is small and under powered but once I get the weeds knocked down it should be good enough to get the job done.

I'm not sure on the water situation yet.  It has a big cistern and there is a pump under the house to move the water but the pipes to it are broke. There is also a county water meter in the front yard but I didn't see any pipe from the meter to the house.  
View Quote

Grass has been amazing.  Hit 12' last year and should come close to it's max of 16' this year.  I have two stands - one small one by the pool as a privacy screen and the original one that runs a few hundred feet along a common property line.

This is the small row by the pool.  Picture is deceiving on scale.  Red line is 4' (can barely see some yard lights I moved there while mowing that are 48").  Green line shows peak of last years growth, with some of last years brown stalks still present - about 12'.

That small row provides the perfect green screen for the pool/picnic table from the only other visible neighbor.

You can just make out the property line row in this pic - red line.

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Nice house and a great view.  I haven't focused on the actual house much yet.  The yard was in terrible shape, over grown with honeysuckle, debris/trash scattered everywhere, and the mosquitoes and fleas would swam you within 30 seconds of stepping outside.  It took a heavy dose of bug spray any time you wanted to go outside.  I've cleaned up a lot of yard but still have more to do.  I can at least walk outside without being swarmed and enjoy the yard some what.  

The house goes back to 1789 but that is just 2 rooms.  A second house was built by a US General in 1812.  Then in 1870 the houses were merged together.  Other additions were added probably 1930, 1950, and 2005. In most cases they built over top of the existing houses instead of tearing down to add on.  There is still part of a wooden shingle roof under one section of the roof and part of the 1812 roof is there under the 1870 roof but I haven't squeezed into that area yet.  

Do you know if you have any hidden rooms or hidden access points to get under the floors?  I have 3 hidden access points in the floors just like in the movies.  Throw a rug and table over it and no one would ever know it was there.  

View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/1659ED18-DFFF-4CB4-ACD4-4118FDC8C0EC__2_-1458401.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/DFC27270-4EAB-4A42-AA2E-B35F3AEF45D4_jpg-1458402.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/0A352A7C-5750-4246-8AA1-2003E63C9ACA__5_-1458406.JPG

No hidden rooms, but I did discover some tally marks in the full basement under the original log fort. I'm not sure if this was made by a prisoner, or what, as it wouldn't be easy to carve it into limestone. I also found shooting ports and spy ports under the plaster, as well as where the log stockade attached to the log structure. Found a Civil War soldier's brogan shoe in the floor, a Confederate cavalry boot in the attic, and other things I wasn't expecting.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I've pulled piles of stuff out of the yard, including Spanish silver coins from the 18th century. Have you done any metal detecting yet on your property? It's worse than BRD.

Found what appears to be a French General Officer's button in the garden about a week ago:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#39]
@SWIRE

I have something for you to try.  An experiment you might find interesting.

I'll get you some Air8--a liquid aeration product I'm using on lawns that has some astonishing abilities to create space in difficult soils.  

I think it would be intriguing to take an area where tomatoes have not done well, do two or three applications of the Air8 product, then plant the tomatoes again and see if there is any difference in viability.  This would have more to do with moving the juglone out of the soil--creating more "juglone free" space, maybe--or maybe not.

The product is EXTREMELY alkaline.  It won't turn your soil alkaline, but its chemical effect on the soil's reactivity and the soil structure are really interesting and I just had the thought--would be good to try that.

I don't have any years of testing your tomatoes here (I'm still going to plant them.)  So if you could set aside a small test plot to treat with Air8, then plant, that might be of interest in your experiment.
View Quote

I can do that.  Part of my back yard is a test plot now.  The worst growing area is actually the grass at the edge of where the walnut tree was.  It is compacted, heavy clay soil, with juglone.  My line of tomatoes that I planted directly where the walnut tree was, include those planted right next to the pieces of the roots, are doing amazing so far.  Right now there is no noticeable difference between those plants and the plants I put in the good bed.  The only areas where the plants aren't growing as fast is edge by the grass.  I will get updated pictures soon to show all of this.  I would want to try a different variety for the juglone test.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Grass has been amazing.  Hit 12' last year and should come close to it's max of 16' this year.  I have two stands - one small one by the pool as a privacy screen and the original one that runs a few hundred feet along a common property line.

This is the small row by the pool.  Picture is deceiving on scale.  Red line is 4' (can barely see some yard lights I moved there while mowing that are 48").  Green line shows peak of last years growth, with some of last years brown stalks still present - about 12'.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/grass1-1458420.jpg

That small row provides the perfect green screen for the pool/picnic table from the only other visible neighbor.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/grass2-1458422.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/grass3-1458424.jpg
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/grass1-1458420.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/grass2-1458422.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/grass3-1458424.jpg

Wow that grass looks great.  Is there any maintenance involved, such has needing to mow down the old grass every year?
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#41]

No hidden rooms, but I did discover some tally marks in the full basement under the original log fort. I'm not sure if this was made by a prisoner, or what, as it wouldn't be easy to carve it into limestone. I also found shooting ports and spy ports under the plaster, as well as where the log stockade attached to the log structure. Found a Civil War soldier's brogan shoe in the floor, a Confederate cavalry boot in the attic, and other things I wasn't expecting.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/DC48ACFC-FD0E-4F06-B70E-1F5584ABB43C_jpg-1458494.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/1F618A3E-4B51-484F-9CD6-026F8690C5CC_jpg-1458495.JPG

I've pulled piles of stuff out of the yard, including Spanish silver coins from the 18th century. Have you done any metal detecting yet on your property? It's worse than BRD.

Found what appears to be a French General Officer's button in the garden about a week ago:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/IMG_1682__1__jpg-1458499.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/A9673622-2F6B-452D-B1FC-9E104C242F90_jpg-1458513.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/00EA1E6B-EEBC-418A-A920-6C1B8440D218__1_-1458516.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/DC48ACFC-FD0E-4F06-B70E-1F5584ABB43C_jpg-1458494.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/1F618A3E-4B51-484F-9CD6-026F8690C5CC_jpg-1458495.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/A9673622-2F6B-452D-B1FC-9E104C242F90_jpg-1458513.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/00EA1E6B-EEBC-418A-A920-6C1B8440D218__1_-1458516.JPG

Cool house.  You know it has a story or two to tell.  

I have a metal detector but there is so much trash in the ground around my house I haven't been able to find anything.  It is a garrett AT Max and I've tried filtering out things but it is going to be a big learning curve with it.  I have a hole in the back yard from the big old black cherry tree was.  I figured there has to be something by/near the base of the tree but haven't found anything yet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Wow that grass looks great.  Is there any maintenance involved, such has needing to mow down the old grass every year?
View Quote

Zero maintenance.  Some years I've bushed hogged it down in the fall and other years I've left it.  Wife prefers I let it stand, as it provides decent screening even in winter and doesn't get too messy and blow around the yard (all that much).

We do water the stand by the pool, only because we can - and it definitely helps it to thicken the stand, but the stretch along the property line makes due with whatever the seasons throw at it and has done just fine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:45:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#43]
Details on my tomato test plot that is intentionally being grown in walnut/juglone soil.  

To make room for the solar array I remove a walnut and a hackberry tree from the middle of the yard.  Those are the two trees in the center of the photo.  The front tree being the walnut tree.

Next I dug out the root ball which left slight depression in the ground when I was done.  The center dot is where the tree was.  The first line out shows the circular area that was disturbed in removing the root ball.  The second line out shows the drip line of the tree.

That makes it a perfect spot to test my line to tomato plants.  Soil anywhere under the drip line of a walnut tree is considered toxic to tomatoes.

I've posted previous pictures where the plants were planted right next to remaining roots from the tree and with walnuts in the soil.  The walnuts are still there.

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#44]
So far most of the plants are vibrant and healthy.  It has been hot and dry which is usually when the juglone starts causing havoc but that has not happened yet. These cages are 54 inches tall with maybe 6 inches into the ground.  

This line of tomatoes is very aggressive growing, it is by far the most aggressive growing variety I have in the garden.  It is already producing tomatoes.  Juglone will prevent the production of fruit or will cause it stay small in size and then rot. I should know shortly how the plants will handle this soil.  

The plants having the most problem are the ones on the edge, the furthest away from the actual tree and planted in the grass.  They are at the edge or just beyond the drip line.  I believe the organic matter from the tree did not enrich this soil and the grass held it tightly in place so it was never disturbed and was compacted over time.  The plants are still looking good, they are just one rung shorter on the tomato cage.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#45]
For those wondering about the solar system.  I'm not using much power at the house but the solar array is producing more power than I am consuming!  Also I still don't have the second array connected.  My plans on the install have been changing but I do plan to get a temporary mount setup and get them connected soon.

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#46]

I have a metal detector but there is so much trash in the ground around my house I haven't been able to find anything.  It is a garrett AT Max and I've tried filtering out things but it is going to be a big learning curve with it.  I have a hole in the back yard from the big old black cherry tree was.  I figured there has to be something by/near the base of the tree but haven't found anything yet.
View All Quotes

Same problem here. I have a little after-market mini-coil which I put on a Mine-lab detector which filters out pretty well. But usually what I do is just pick a spot where I know there are trash middens, and just excavate the area like an archaeological site. Just pull everything out, and then save the spoil dirt to sift through. It's amazing what you can find when you're not limited to just digging little plugs.

Yes, I've torn the holy hell out of my yard. But I've found so much stuff. Just one spot at a time, the replant grass seeds.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#47]

Same problem here. I have a little after-market mini-coil which I put on a Mine-lab detector which filters out pretty well. But usually what I do is just pick a spot where I know there are trash middens, and just excavate the area like an archaeological site. Just pull everything out, and then save the spoil dirt to sift through. It's amazing what you can find when you're not limited to just digging little plugs.

Yes, I've torn the holy hell out of my yard. But I've found so much stuff. Just one spot at a time, the replant grass seeds.
View Quote

This house has been in my family for over 70 years now. I'm the current owner, and grew up in it.
The side of the yard has a retaining wall. When I was very little, there were some trees on it. One of them even had a tree house in it for my older brothers. i wasn't allowed into it, because my dad thought it was unsafe by then.

Fast forward about 50 years. I've rebuilt the retaining wall a few years ago, and decided to terrace the area above the wall.
It's incredible how much junk "treasure" i've found. LOTS of broken glass! lots of pieces of toys (mostly in the area of where the tree house was). Pieces of melted glass (including a couple of marbles), chunks of coal.

A little backstory-we used to have a fire pit for burning trash in a corner of the yard. I suspect a lot of the stuff that was left after burning was buried in the area.
I'll try to post a few pics. Most of the stuff is still dirty.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:37:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Really interesting.

We're going to have to set up an experiment with randomized plantings and a control group at some point.  But I think you're doing significant work here, and it is outstanding that you are getting results like this.
View All Quotes
So far most of the plants are vibrant and healthy.  It has been hot and dry which is usually when the juglone starts causing havoc but that has not happened yet. These cages are 54 inches tall with maybe 6 inches into the ground.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/tomatoes_in_walnut_JPG-1464931.jpg

This line of tomatoes is very aggressive growing, it is by far the most aggressive growing variety I have in the garden.  It is already producing tomatoes.  Juglone will prevent the production of fruit or will cause it stay small in size and then rot. I should know shortly how the plants will handle this soil.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/tomato_on_plant_JPG-1464949.jpg

The plants having the most problem are the ones on the edge, the furthest away from the actual tree and planted in the grass.  They are at the edge or just beyond the drip line.  I believe the organic matter from the tree did not enrich this soil and the grass held it tightly in place so it was never disturbed and was compacted over time.  The plants are still looking good, they are just one rung shorter on the tomato cage.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/walnut_edge_JPG-1464929.jpg

Really interesting.

We're going to have to set up an experiment with randomized plantings and a control group at some point.  But I think you're doing significant work here, and it is outstanding that you are getting results like this.

That was my thought as well.  If I get something I'm fairly confident in I was thinking of taking it to the University of Kentucky and see if they would have any interest in running some trials.  I'm not that confident that I have something yet.

I need to get some pictures today and post an update as there are recent developments, one of which has me scratching my head.  A long hot and dry spell followed by rain, like we just had, is one of the triggers for the negative juglone reactions. I posted pictures of it last year and I'm seeing it this year already, including in one of the plants that should have been more tolerant.  That plant is on the edge in the grass though zone.  That might be where your product would be helpful.

I am starting my next level of experimentation though.  I'm creating the most juglone toxic soil I can imagine and see if I can get my seeds to sprout and then grow.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top