Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's a lot of gear and seems like a really good way to travel/camp, actually.  With a fridge, hot water and a decently comfortable spot to sleep out of the bugs, I could actually enjoy that.
View Quote
I want to do a continental divide overland trip.

Found this route today, guy said it was 2400 miles of dirt.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 1'x1'x1.5' propane hot water heater in my RV, w/ a separate 12V on demand pump, and have no issues.  Unless you're hooked up to a fresh water supply, you just take Navy showers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a 1'x1'x1.5' propane hot water heater in my RV, w/ a separate 12V on demand pump, and have no issues.  Unless you're hooked up to a fresh water supply, you just take Navy showers.
View Quote
for RV applications it's definitely the best

as poster mentioned above open air usage may be problematic

elec is not near as powerful/efficient as propane however the elec setup will be more compact and a simpler setup

this setup tank/pump/heater will only have a 50"x 12" fixed footprint in the truck bed

my quoted numbers were wrong from before it's actually an 18gal storage tank and a 2.6gal hot water internal tank

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're wanting to stick to a single fuel, it'll work.  If you're carrying propane anyway, I would suggest propane.  The RV units are quite reliable @ this point - haven't had any issues out of mine in over 13 years.  When you realize you only get 2-3 showers out of your water supply, you use it sparingly, no matter how much hot water is available.

Looking @ a propane instant hot water heater to assist our 110 electric heater on the inflatable hot tub.  We get tired of having to wait all day in this weather for the hot tub to heat up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#7]
My understanding is the Australians developed the idea as a way to use the outback for holiday.

They really are the experts so any advice, techniques, equipment, etc coming out of Australia should be given notice.

Basically it's just called "Overlanding", in my mind, it's not off-roading, wheeling, 4 wheeling, mudding, etc like they do here in the Eastern U.S.

This is how I would define it. Using 4x4 vehicles to carry gear and provisions across (at a relaxed pace) large undeveloped expanses, along the way seeing the sites, and in the evening making camp (out of necessity) were ever you find yourself.

Overlanding to me is not RVing, camping, hiking expeditions, stopping 20 times a day to see the sites.

The point is to cover ground seeing sites that cannot be accessed on foot, constantly on the move with minimal stops.

Ideally you'd be on the move for days before you made it back to developed areas. Obviously in the outback this would be easily accomplished, here is the U.S. there really is only a few places to do that Midwest, Northwest, and Alaska.

30 years ago there were a few areas of the South you could do this, but that's over now.

I have a feeling it's catching on here in the U.S. because alot of people, including myself, are done with the traditional vacation areas because everything is overcrowded and ruined in the process.

I can't even enjoy riding my motorcycle in the mountains of NC anymore because the roads are so crowded.

I will not waste a  minute of my vacation time anymore going to overcrowded vacation destinations.

It's my plan to spend all my vacation for the foreseeable future going on Overlanding trips across the U.S.

Where to find information?

Here's a trick I use, do Google image searches for different overlanding gear. Those images will lead you directly to sites people are discussing Overlanding.

The most popular though is probably: https://expeditionportal.com

A picture for inspiration

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My understanding is the Australians developed the idea as a way to use the outback for holiday.

They really are the experts so any advice, techniques, equipment, etc coming out of Australia should be given notice.

Basically it's just called "Overlanding", in my mind, it's not off-roading, wheeling, 4 wheeling, mudding, etc like they do here in the Eastern U.S.

This is how I would define it. Using 4x4 vehicles to carry gear and provisions across (at a relaxed pace) large undeveloped expanses, along the way seeing the sites, and in the evening making camp (out of necessity) were ever you find yourself.

Overlanding to me is not RVing, camping, hiking expeditions, stopping 20 times a day to see the sites.

The point is to cover ground seeing sites that cannot be accessed on foot, constantly on the move with minimal stops.

Ideally you'd be on the move for days before you made it back to developed areas. Obviously in the outback this would be easily accomplished, here is the U.S. there really is only a few places to do that Midwest, Northwest, and Alaska.

30 years ago there were a few areas of the South you could do this, but that's over now.

I have a feeling it's catching on here in the U.S. because alot of people, including myself, are done with the traditional vacation areas because everything is overcrowded and ruined in the process.

I can't even enjoy riding my motorcycle in the mountains of NC anymore because the roads are so crowded.

I will not waste a  minute of my vacation time anymore going to overcrowded vacation destinations.

It's my plan to spend all my vacation for the foreseeable future going on Overlanding trips across the U.S.

Where to find information?

Here's a trick I use, do Google image searches for different overlanding gear. Those images will lead you directly to sites people are discussing Overlanding.

The most popular though is probably: https://expeditionportal.com

A picture for inspiration

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384769/25659317394_3cc9859eec_b-452778.JPG
View Quote
So I assume all this is done on public land?

I guess I don't understand how that works, because in MN there is almost no public land, and what is public is game reserve and no motor vehicles.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
here is the U.S. there really is only a few places to do that Midwest, Northwest, and Alaska.
Yes, sorry thought that would be clear from above statement.

I did get the local national forest service to admit that you could drive titled tagged vehicles in the national forest here in WNC.

There are hundreds and hundreds of miles worth of forest service roads around here that would be legal to drive on, problem is the assholes put gates up everywhere.

So it's legal to drive on these dirt roads but they block access with the gates.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  Yes, sorry thought that would be clear from above statement.

I did get the local national forest service to admit that you could drive titled tagged vehicles in the national forest here in WNC.

There are hundreds and hundreds of miles worth of forest service roads around here that would be legal to drive on, problem is the assholes put gates up everywhere.

So it's legal to drive on these dirt roads but they block access with the gates.
View Quote
Well, they hardly want the hoi polloi driving around in the back 4000 - that's reserved for wild game and the Forest Service rangers that hunt them.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wow.

Do you go with a group, like that photo?
View Quote
Preferably you would go in a convoy.

Problem is finding people who can take the time off from work/family and can afford to go.

We're talking 11 to 23 days at a time for these trips.

It's a huge commitment in time and money.

For that reason I'll probably be going solo on mine, a satellite locator beacon will be a must have item.

The Garmin Inreach allows for 2 way texting via satellite and emergency "come get my ass" button.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:03:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Proud of you for welding up your own rig.  
View Quote
Thanks

I'll post more pics when I complete the next stage of the build.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm jumping into this thread to ask a question. I posted in another [prompted by KwS's observation that used welders can be readily obtained on CL and in pawn shops] but is probably better placed here:

How do I know the welder I buy used is a good value and not junk?  

My son, Aj, is a certified welder [Navy trained] and he has told me [I, who have never welded] to get a MIG welder for the shop on the land we just purchased.  He lives 5+ hours away so not a convenient resource and hasn't welded in the last 15 years, since getting out.

From the research I've done I believe I want 220 to not be limited.

I had one excellent reply in the other thread but welcome any guidance all have to offer.

Thanks
View Quote
Most any welder made in America since the 1950s and not abused will probably still work fine.   I just sold a 1940s stick welder that had been left outside for decades.   Replaced a few wires, cleaned up the capacitor and contacts, replaced the cables and it worked fine.  Capacitor type welders are stupidly simple.

I avoid chinese welders.   Waaaay too many people have been disappointed with them.

Mig, Tig, Stick?

Depends on what you want to weld.   Just farm stuff...stick is fine, easy to get the rod into difficult places and only a little OJT needed to make decent welds.

Farm, vehicles, equipment...mig is great.  Easier to do fine work and a monkey can learn it easily.

Doing fine assembly work...Tig is the master,  but tougher to use on outdoor farm projects like trailers, tractors, racks, etc..

A 220v mig with 200 amps, by one of the big three manufacturers can probably do 99% of the welding jobs you can think of, and also the other 1% if you tackle the problem from a different angle.

You may think you will only use it occasionally, but once you realize how easily it can fix things and solve problems, it will become one of your most valuable pieces of equipment.  It allows you to build things you cannot buy.   Most of your jobs will probably be with 1/4” or thinner materials, but when you need to occasionally weld 3/8, 7/16 or 1/2”,  the 220 machine will handle it smoothly, while a 120v welder will struggle.  Start going to estate sales and auctions to pick up scrap steel for pennies and build up a stockpile.

Craigslist is one source but the prices for used welders are usually too close to new.   Pawn shops rarely have anything that hasn’t been trashed.   The business liquidation auctions in my area are the best places to get American equipment for  20-35% of retail price of similar welders.   A welder built with  inverters instead of capacitors will often be much lighter, allowing you to get it into places impossible with a 300-400lb capacitor machine.  I like to replace the factory skinny plastic wheels on my welders with big pneumatics to reduce chances of getting stuck in soft sand or wet terrain.

Find a friend that can weld, and have him test out welders for you.

The welder is just the first purchase.   You’ll need a helmet, gloves, grinders, clamps, and a bunch more tools.

Once you get the hang of it…

IT IS A HELL OF A LOT OF FUN!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Most any welder made in America since the 1950s and not abused will probably still work fine.   I just sold a 1940s stick welder that had been left outside for decades.   Replaced a few wires, cleaned up the capacitor and contacts, replaced the cables and it worked fine.  Capacitor type welders are stupidly simple.

I avoid chinese welders.   Waaaay too many people have been disappointed with them.

Mig, Tig, Stick?

Depends on what you want to weld.   Just farm stuff...stick is fine, easy to get the rod into difficult places and only a little OJT needed to make decent welds.

Farm, vehicles, equipment...mig is great.  Easier to do fine work and a monkey can learn it easily.

Doing fine assembly work...Tig is the master,  but tougher to use on outdoor farm projects like trailers, tractors, racks, etc..

A 220v mig with 200 amps, by one of the big three manufacturers can probably do 99% of the welding jobs you can think of, and also the other 1% if you tackle the problem from a different angle.

You may think you will only use it occasionally, but once you realize how easily it can fix things and solve problems, it will become one of your most valuable pieces of equipment.  It allows you to build things you cannot buy.   Most of your jobs will probably be with 1/4” or thinner materials, but when you need to occasionally weld 3/8, 7/16 or 1/2”,  the 220 machine will handle it smoothly, while a 120v welder will struggle.  Start going to estate sales and auctions to pick up scrap steel for pennies and build up a stockpile.

Craigslist is one source but the prices for used welders are usually too close to new.   Pawn shops rarely have anything that hasn’t been trashed.   The business liquidation auctions in my area are the best places to get American equipment for  20-35% of retail price of similar welders.   A welder built with  inverters instead of capacitors will often be much lighter, allowing you to get it into places impossible with a 300-400lb capacitor machine.  I like to replace the factory skinny plastic wheels on my welders with big pneumatics to reduce chances of getting stuck in soft sand or wet terrain.

Find a friend that can weld, and have him test out welders for you.

The welder is just the first purchase.   You’ll need a helmet, gloves, grinders, clamps, and a bunch more tools.

Once you get the hang of it…

IT IS A HELL OF A LOT OF FUN!!!
View Quote
Wow, great advice, Thanks

There is scrap and then there is scrap.....

Any way easy way to know what to grab and that to leave behind?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wow, great advice, Thanks

There is scrap and then there is scrap.....

Any way easy way to know what to grab and that to leave behind?
View Quote
I generally grab everything that is 1/8 to 1/4” thick, in all shapes and sizes, and bar and rod up to 1.5” thick.  Rarely do I use 1/16th or thinner materials.   I love old bed frames because they are high carbon steel and very strong for their weight, but you’ll need carbide bits to drill them.

If I’m planning on building a trailer or similar project, I’ll pick up larger channel, thick-wall tube,  and pipe.  If this stuff is selling for very little I’ll buy it anyway.  I can always sell it or trade it with other fabricators on craigslist.   There are a few local farm supply stores that have tons of larger steel pieces for building pole barns, and similar projects.

I have bought auction lots of mixed scrap materials, but rarely use the stainless or aluminum in them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 1:49:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Welded up a rear camera bracket (1.5" x 0.125" flat bar) for the OEM rear camera.

Took the OEM camera cable harness and extended 73" in the middle for a plug and play install.

Going to be installing all the wiring, battery terminals, distribution blocks, fuse blocks, relay bank, in cab switches for all my lights and winch this weekend. I'll post pictures later.

Also doing a simple mod with dedicated switch so I can have anytime rear camera.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Welded up a bracket for my winch controller box.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#26]
relay bank, fuse block, terminal blocks, and ground bus setup

bluesea hardware with ancor terminals/wire

mounted on 0.75" MDF

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#27]
back of OTRATTW switch setup in overhead sunglass storage compartment

double crimps are awesome!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#28]
My son peeled some logs a while ago.  I let them sit and season.  He and my other son helped me build a bunk bed with the peeled logs, some rough sawn cedar, and a couple sheets of plywood for under the mattresses.  Doing it again I would plan the joints better and make them significantly stiffer.  As it turned out the bed had a pretty good side to side wobble.

Over the weekend I welded some braces out of 1" x 1/8 angle.  A little ironically my eight year old daughter helped me with the welding.
Bzzzzapzzzzbzzz. "That was really cool dad!"

My two sons helped me install them tonight, and there is very little wobble - about the same as the factory made bunk bed my girls sleep in.

ETA, the next welding project is probably going to be a welder cart or dolly of some sort.  It's a little Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC stick rig that I put longer leads on.  It has wheels and a short stubby little handle, but it's so low to the ground it's awkward to move.  I want to be able to move it around fairly easily to use it and put it out of the way when done ... and I want to add something that will let me coil the leads up, hold the various boxes of rod, hang the masks, stash the gloves, stick the magnets ... needs a couple of holes for the chipping hammers, a spot for the brushes ... what am I forgetting?
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I ran out of mig gas and needed to finish a few welds so I tried the fluxcore spool (basically arc stick welding) of wire that originally came with my machine.

Here were the results

Attachment Attached File

I'll never try that again, not with results like this with mig.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#30]
OTRATTW switches mounted

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

love me some double crimps
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#32]
More switches today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Finished up electrical.

All lights and winch work without key in ignition (green picture only lights up)
amber label does lights up with key on. Rear Camera switch only works and lights up with key on.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

1 pair of KC halogen driving lights up front, 3 pair of KC C3 LED pods (rear, left & right sides)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Did you already have the spaces for those buttons/controls?

Or did you cut into your truck and create the spot?
View Quote
This is what mine looked like from the factory.

I moved the top two factory switches down to the bottom positions, removed the RSCA OFF switch left it wired up but tied behind the dash (I can access it if necessary).

The top 3 factory switch locations took me about 2 hrs to adapt to the OTRATTW switches (hand filed to open up size) a huge pain but they fit perfectly afterwards.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Finished up electrical.

All lights and winch work without key in ignition (green picture only lights up)
amber label does lights up with key on. Rear Camera switch only works and lights up with key on.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384769/20180421_210731-522133.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384769/20180421_210826-522134.JPG

1 pair of KC halogen driving lights up front, 3 pair of KC C3 LED pods (rear, left & right sides)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384769/20180421_210124-522139.JPG
View Quote
All clean and professional looking.

Looks awesome.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#38]
It's art.  All it needs to do is stick together, and stick together well if you build it tall enough.  Your welder will do that just fine, and if it doesn't you won't know unless you try, then you can just add a little more weld, or another little piece of wire or rebar to prop whatever doodad in place.

Do it, and post pics!

I had my welder fired up yesterday.  I put a new hubs and pulleys on the lawnmower last year, the originals were worn out at ten years old.  The new hub and pulley were splined and supposedly interchangeable with the originals, but there was nothing left on one of the pulley splines after a handful of uses last year and a couple more this year.  I centered the pulley on the hub, retightened the nut, and welded the pulley to the nut with a 1/16 7018 rod at 60 amps.  Back to cutting as well as a 10 year old beat up lawn tractor can cut.

Shadetreetip: clean your mower deck before welding, and weld outside.  I have a vivid memory from my childhood of Dad working out in the garage with somebody who had a mobile rig welding something on his old Bolens garden tractor.  I was inside, my dad ran in, grabbed the fire extinguisher, ran back out with a worried look in his face.  Grease and dry grass went up with a  spark, inside the garage. Then the plastic pin ring in the fire extinguisher broke when he pulled it, leaving the pin in place with no way to get it out.  They did get the fire out before it did any damage, and dad replaced the pin stub with a pin and ring from a smoke grenade.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:17:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:56:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm a hack at metal working, it's on my bucket list to get better at it.

There is a pretty cool set of books that have plans on how to make metal working equipment from scrap. There is one on making a sheet metal brake and another on working sheet metal.

http://gingerybookstore.com/
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:40:20 PM EDT
[#48]
We have a hydraulic press brake at work.  Hydraulic shear and a cnc plasma cutter too.  A finger brake for making boxes.

A full size siding brake as already mentioned is the tool you need to form soft aluminum for pans, window wrapping, custom flashing, etc.  The building supply store has one customers can use with purchase of their aluminum flashing.  Line up, score with utility knife to desired width, bend and the metal will cut itself at the score line, align and bend as needed.  Corners are an art, but can be mocked up with paper and scissors easily.

Brakes have a limited thickness capacity based in part on how much force it takes to bend something and the geometry of the bend.

Materials are specific, some cold work and harden then crack halfway through the bend, some are easy to work and can be bent and then bent back without cracking.

Good aviation snips go a long way.  If it isnt going to be seen, a bunch of clamps holding the sheet metal to a stout enough piece of angle will let you bang a crease into it with a hammer.  The welder just makes it easier to put a bar to use instead of the clamps and another piece of angle to make the bend.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 1:41:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
IT'S HERE IT'S HERE!!!

View Quote
KWS,

Both this and the archived thread are great! I have been following along and learning a bunch. I did a little welding in shop class back in high school, but I never took it beyond that and I kick myself a lot over that. Over the years, I have had a couple of projects that needed to be welded and I was lucky enough to have friends who could do the job for me. Like you, I would like to learn how to do it myself. Unfortunately, our local community college does not offer a welding class or I would be taking that in a heartbeat! So I am left to fend for myself.

I work at a custom log furniture shop and, at one time, we had a welder on staff. He would make all the metal legs and brackets for the furniture we made. He was very talented and could make pretty much anything out of metal. We lost him to another job in Texas oil fields, but couldn't blame him for leaving as they paid very handsomely for his talents.

So lately I have been looking at welders for doing basic stuff around the hacienda and out at the ranch (Fixing trailers, mending metal gates, etc....). I have narrowed it down to with a Lincoln or an Everlast welder, both are 140amp. I would be doing wire feed flux core welding as it looks like the easiest to master, it doesn't require a shielding gas and I can run it off of a generator out at the ranch if I had too. I am fortunate to work where I do as there is a lot of scrap metal around that I could use to practice on.

So what welder did you finally end up with and where did you get it from? Have you been able to practice on scrap metal yet?
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top