User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Then you've made up your mind, go buy one of those little welders. There's nothing to it, just think of it as a glue gun that uses steel instead of plastic. It's tons easier to do than stick.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd only recommend stick because a decent size semi-heavy machine can be cheap(er) and you have experience with it. I bought a Century stick machine last year from the fire chief's son for $80. I have a small 120v mig, but there's times when you need to weld some heavy stuff together on one pass. But if you can do stick, flux core mig is easy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wow, that's even cheaper than when we looked last year!

Questions:

1-What's the beanie for?  Does the welding helmet hurt?

2-I figure I will HAVE to use regular leather gloves because chances of finding welding gloves in my size without doing an expensive special order are probably going to be zero, but I will check that out.  Nobody has small gloves that aren't soft fabric or pink or something.  TSC has recently started carrying leather gloves for women (yeah, they're pink) but they have a fabric back.  I may have to order anyhow.

3-I still need magnets, right?  (though I suspect I can use a pipe clamp to crank the deck together enough to get it welded

4-Why 4.5 angle grinder instead of 4?  

I have a 4.5.  This is my grinder, and I would get another like it (or similar) but I'd like to understand why 4.5 is better)

I apparently followed instructions when y'all said I needed one of these last year.

http://www.fototime.com/0D748DFB759108C/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/C9E6B1E5C2DA2CE/standard.jpg

5-I don't know what grinding wheels or brushes I need to buy that would be useful, and based on responses in the old thread, wire brushes really throw metal pieces.  Seems like I need certain tools, including brushes, for welding, though, right?

6-Looks like Harbor Freight only has a 90-amp welder available right now. I thought they had a 125 too, but maybe they've dropped that one.  

Rat_Patrol, The only reason I'm looking is that I could walk in and set myself up TOMORROW to weld if I do Harbor Freight (we have one here).  Yours looks like a better welder for hardly any more money though.

Here's their low-end offering:
HF 90 amp Flux Welder
View Quote
On my phone, so it will be brief

Welding hat keeps sparks from burning your hair and scalp.

Helmets do not hurt.

Magnets are situationally depending, you will need them for for new fabrication far more than repair. Other tools to hold metal will eventually be needed as the project dictated.

4" grinders have low power and few attachments due to small arbor size.

I'd get the northern tool welder myself, if for no other reason than more amps.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I fent.

Bought the welder only, as shipping doubled when I added another item, and I think I can get the supplementary stuff locally for less money when I don't have to pay shipping.

I may regret that.

I shall now begin using the list to shop for stuff, and my welder will be here next week!
View Quote
SOME of that stuff in the Northern Tool cart shipped free by itself, may be worth checking on that. The HF welding helmets, nozzle gel, etc. aren't any better/worse than the cheaper Northern Tool stuff. I was just trying to build you a list of sorts that you need. As was mentioned by others as well, be sure to spend the money on the auto-darkening helmet. If you don't, you will anyway in short order. They are worth the $40. My helmet is a HF one, works just fine and my retinas are still working .

As far as the tips, you can get those locally too, but you should go a while on what it comes with if you use the nozzle gel as often as practical.

A chop saw is NOT the same as a wood miter saw. Not sure if they make the proper metal cutting blades for wood miter saws or not, never looked for one. Chop saws run about $60 for the cheaper ones and go up from there. They are basically required if you want to make straight cuts from long pieces of steel stock. A cutting torch is technically more universal, but the chop saw makes a perfect edge. 

Angle iron comes in all different dimensions and thicknesses. Doesn't even have to be the same on both sides. I generally stock 2" by 3/16" thick and 2" by 1/4" thick. Its just a matter of what does the job require.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#14]
As far as what to use for metal bracing for your mower deck, I would go as thick or 1/16" thicker than the brackets already there. Of course, I've been known to break that rule, using whatever I have on hand for stuff . Hence my massively overbuilt landscape rake beam 
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:23:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Congrats! You can find nearly all that other stuff locally at a hardware store.

Welding gloves? Some guys won't even use gloves.

Usually I just wear the thinner, cheap leather/denim work gloves for most welding work.

I have leather sleeves and a leather apron if I'm working in awkward positions where sparks would land in more uncomfortable areas.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:47:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We have a chop saw.  We use it for wood (it's a miter saw).

Would y'all buy a metal blade for it and use that for cutting stuff?

Or what?
View Quote
I would buy one of these and never look back:

Evolution Rage2 14" chop saw

It's one of my favorite tools in the shop.  Cuts angle and square tubing like butter, and the steel (vs. abrasive) blade is a lot nicer to work with.  Check out some youtube reviews on it.

But hurry if you want one... it looks like it's being replaced by the EVOSAW380 a lot steeper price...
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Right.

I have a ThermalArc stick/DC tig suitcase welder I bought off pops as part of a contract buy for his company a few years ago. I also have a bottle that is mine and not fucking Airgas. IMO, if youre going to have a gas welder, its key that YOU own the metal and not them.

https://www.bakersgas.com/THEW1003807.html

Thats the one I have. ThermalArc 201TS in case the link doesnt work. I have run it HOT for welding stick on a few occasions where I definitely exceeded the published duty cycle and it never even flinched.

IMO, you buy two things with a welder: Stability and duty cycle. I can tell you, the arc on stick or TIG on mine is WAY easier to control at any amp setting than any of the cheaper welders. Again, IMO, welders are "get what you pay for", but that being said, the average Joe would be fine with the $400 Hobart from Northern. The other difference between cheaper welders and more expensive units is duty cycle. A quick peek at the manuals will show you that. Again, probably not a big issue for the average Joe.

With that said, good welding is about 40% prep, 40% skill and 20% material in my experience. The times I was trying to weld China steel, it showed. You can trade one for the other in some cases in terms of prep/skill.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#20]
You need to master the art of metal salvage junkyard diving. 

When I needed to build a tire rack for the open trailer, I hit the salvage yard. Found probably 60+ ft of 20ft sticks of angle. Someone had cut it all in half, then scrapped it. Best I can remember, I paid $100 for all of it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Sandusky steel in Columbia KY has a good salvage pile to dig through.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Looking good!

Yeah, tsc and such are the worst places to get steel. Look for actual steel supply and salvage yards as mentioned.

You can also go to welding shops (manufacturer) and usually buy cutoffs at scrap price.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Ask if you can buy their scrap by the pound. They toss it, so the chance of them willing it to you at pennies on the dollar is good.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We have one here in our town!

I googled "welding supplies in my town"  and got it..  It's about ten miles from me and really convenient.  

I will go there, hopefully, tomorrow, and cross my fingers that there are nice guys behind the counter.  

They supply angle iron for BIG projects all over the region, so I will ask, first, "can I buy small quantities from y'all?"

We will see what they say.

ETA:  Oh wait.

You mean shops that manufacture things from metal..

I know a couple of those, too...in the small town south of me.
View Quote
I meant both.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Be aware that some steel supply places charge a cutting fee. Basically, that means it may be cheaper to buy a whole stick vs half a stick and cut charge.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:10:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hmmm..That will mean I need to TAKE MY TRAILER.

No problem, since I have one now.
View Quote
A successful homesteader/DIY's life ends up being a tapestry of interwoven skills, each supporting and in turn building off of each other.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Every time I see a set of bed frame rails on the side of the road, I stop and pick them up. I don't know what they're made of, but some of them are as hard as wood pecker lips if you try to drill through it.

I used a set one time to make a 60qt cooler carrier for my jeep.

The grinder is nothing to be afraid of. Keep both hands on the grinder and you won't have to worry about your hands. Just watch where the sparks go. You don't want them to fall on you or like dry grass or towels or something. I was cutting something once and the sparks where flying directly on my t-shirt. Next thing I noticed was a blue flame out of the corner of my eye.

My t-shirt was on FIRE!

I did the hookie pokie dance and beat it out with my hands since I was wearing gloves. I wasn't burned, I just looked like an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A successful homesteader/DIY's life ends up being a tapestry of interwoven skills, each supporting and in turn building off of each other.
View Quote
True that. Well said.

Sig material there...
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

While that is absolutely true, I've found that more than anything else, it's a garage and outbuildings stuffed full of tools and equipment.
View Quote
That's definitely a big part of it.  Can't learn the skills without the tools.  

A lifetime collection of practical, quality tools is an extremely undervalued component of many old guys' estates.  I shop a lot of garage/farm sales, and I find myself wondering at the tales some of these tools could tell. That rusty, beat-up old Delta radial arm saw could have meant half a year's savings for some struggling dustbowl-era carpenter, toted home and dutifully wiped down after every job.  A hundred years later, it's sitting in a great-grandkid's garage, about to be sold off for thirty bucks to make room for the new kegerator that will surely impress everyone at Mr. Grandkids' weekly emotional outreach support group.

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  That's definitely a big part of it.  Can't learn the skills without the tools.  

A lifetime collection of practical, quality tools is an extremely undervalued component of many old guys' estates.  I shop a lot of garage/farm sales, and I find myself wondering at the tales some of these tools could tell. That rusty, beat-up old Delta radial arm saw could have meant half a year's savings for some struggling dustbowl-era carpenter, toted home and dutifully wiped down after every job.  A hundred years later, it's sitting in a great-grandkid's garage, about to be sold off for thirty bucks to make room for the new kegerator that will surely impress everyone at Mr. Grandkids' weekly emotional outreach support group.

View Quote
I've heard similar expressions about my grandfather and tools.  He had converted his one car garage into a woodshop, and restored foot-pump organs as a hobby.  Someone once said they were glad he died before tool quality went to hell.

I dunno.  He paid a lot for his tools, and took very good care of them.  However, today, most hand tools are disposable.  Yes, they're of lesser quality - they're also so cheap you can buy 3 of everything.  I wish he had lived long enough to see Harbor Freight, and 3-D printing.  Lithium-Ion operated tools you can work on your car with or tear out a wall w/.

Whereas my grandfather was a craftsman in wood, I hope to be able to carve metal.  And the tools are inexpensive enough that I can aspire to do so.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Good news and bad news...

The bad news..

The welding shop in my town..no longer supplies metal.  I'm going to have to look elsewhere, or plan to pay through the nose when I need something.

I *can* order from the welding shop's parent company in Elizabethtown (which supplies angle iron and other metal, including enormous I-beams, to contractors  at all levels, and they will deliver to the shop the following day.  There is a $10 delivery fee.  I don't think that fee is exhorbitant, but it does add to the cost of the metal, especially if I'm only getting a piece or two.  I don't know enough about what I will regularly need yet,  to order more and just have it lying around.

Apparently the one seller of metal in town charges about the same as TSC prices.

The good news?  

My welder arrives tomorrow!!!

Update:  I found a place called Powell's Welding and Metal Sales in Hopkinsville, KY, about 45 minutes from me.  It looks promising. I will call tomorrow.
View Quote
I'm actually fortunate that there is a regular metal supply company only 1 hour drive away. 

I tend to build up projects and make the trip worth while, and I stock the common stuff I frequently use. I'm sure you will likely end up doing similar.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I spent a night in Elizabethtown last year. There's not a steel yard there? Or do you have to all the way up to Louisville?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:44:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I had no idea that metal supply was so hard to find.

Has that happened only recently?

Or has it always been hard to get metal?
View Quote
Not hard to find really. Just centered around Industrial areas. 

You can find metal lots of places, for a price.

If there is a small fab/repair welding shop locally, odds are they would include full stick orders to their run with little fee.

Could save you travel time.

I actually do that a lot, but it's my brother that has the welding biz. 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:50:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Another option, look for places that sell wrought iron fence parts. There's a place near me that sells all the parts to build fence, but then they have pipe, tubing, angle, everything to weld together your own wrought iron stuff. You should look this up anyway, once you get into this kind of stuff, it's addicting. http://www.kingmetals.com/ They can UPS the smaller decorative stuff to you, the bigger stuff not so much. Their steel is somewhat more expensive than the steel yard, but it's not the gang bang you get buying little pieces at Home Depot.

You can weld decorative cast iron pieces to steel with a flux core mig, you just have to preheat it, weld it, and let it cool slowly.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
IT'S HERE IT'S HERE!!!

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#48]
my aren't we a Jill of all trades Ms. Kitty
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Gimme a minute. I'm reading the manual.

That little plastic-looking thing that screws on the end of the welding gun...

Tell me it's not actually plastic, but some kind of aluminum or something?

Yours looked like it had something like that on it.

I'm getting pics..
View Quote
Nozzle is brass alloy? The cone shaped shroud thing is plastic (it will be fine)
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top