Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
8 foot walls. 

Going to 9 foot was recommended by the guy selling the cement and ICF forms of course  . No extra money left for the extra foot though, would have cost about $2k extra all said and done After running ductwork, basement slab and whatnot, the false ceiling that will eventually be installed (maybe) will leave about 7' people room in the basement. My wife is 5'4", I am 5'8". Plenty of room for us 
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Still taller than my crawl space
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Our current (old) house has a small crawl space in one area. If you are on your knees, your head is at grade. Most of the house is wood directly on dirt..... We excavated out a 3ft crawl space when we re-built the bathroom, just so I could access plumbing and get some heat under there so my shower wasn't frozen all winter anymore 
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#4]
In case anybody cares, looks like we may be on a planned power outage for 3-4 days. Started a thread in the Survival Forum

linky to SF discussion

I'll of course try to make a video about how it goes. May actually be possible since my huge rush of getting the house on foundation will be done.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:25:47 AM EDT
[#5]
It's here! 

Those boys are punctual. Pulled up at 10 minutes to 4am, the estimated delivery time.

It sits in the yard now until Tuesday, but the Mrs gets her first view of it in person in the morning!

Getting woke up and going like that put my body into "morning routine mode". I will go back to bed now in a few. 

Had the owner take a look at my setup. I have a lot of work to do yet, looks like the family will vacation without me most the weekend..
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:51:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Will be worth it when your done though
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#7]
And then my 3 year olds insomnia kicks in. 

Going to be another 20 hour day on 4 hours of sleep. 
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Now he was up again tonight. Only twice in this last week has he managed to get 7 hours straight which means only twice in the last week have the missus and I been able to get about 6 hours straight. We're supposed to be camping this weekend with my mom and stepdad which day and my ten-year-old have been looking forward to. And all my help ditched me to help finish up for the house. So now getting no sleep my wife has to try to make camping as enjoyable as possible and I have 2 days worth of work for two guys to do all myself in three days.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Rat:  I have been putting lots of research into an ICF build for my family on the East Coast. I will also be doing a DIY construction.  Very little ICF buildings in my area, but being in a hurricane and tornado zone I cant see why one would not use ICF not to mention the added efficiency and DIY capability.  What "brand" of blocks are you using?  I have only been focusing on Build Block due to how close one of there manufacturing locations is to my area.  Currently I am in Europe and every house is Concrete, makes me wonder why we don't see more concrete residential homes in the US. Good on you for doing your own thing.... good luck and keep the updates coming.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm using A1 blocks, just because they are manufactured here in MN. Shipping is a killer, so it's probably regional what brand you have available.

If I ever build again, it will be ICF all the way to the rafters. 
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Help arrived today. Put in a12 hour day, hopefully only half a day tomorrow.

So very close...
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#14]
No small thanks to my brother for helping me out majorly these last 2 days but we are about ready now. There are only a couple small Minor Details for me to finish hour-and-a-half work at tops. 

No you didn't miss the house getting set on the foundation. That was supposed to happen tomorrow but I got a call late this evening from the movers there big winch truck for pulling the house up the hill has broke down and won't be repaired until middle tomorrow so the move is pushed off until Wednesday.

As the house sits right now:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#15]
The big day!

Movers set to arrive in about 30 minutes to set it on the foundation!

Would appreciate prayers that all goes safely and the basement holds up!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got done with the move,

pics incoming. 

Everything went wonderfully 
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just got done with the move,

pics incoming. 

Everything went wonderfully 
View Quote
Awesome to hear!  Can't wait to see it!
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#22]
The kitchen is to die for, at least to us.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
Nice!  Love the cabinets!  How's the view from out the window?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Right now the view out of the kitchen and dining room is trees. However once I cut those down since we're on the top of the hill will be overlooking the lake the cow pasture part of the gardens some yard the field and beautiful sunrises.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#26]
That is awesome.  It is not a modular per say and looks to have been moved as one unit..... so how did they actually get it on the foundation with the wheels and beams etc?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Correct, not a modular. Its an actual house, moved as 1 unit.

I took a lot of cell phone video of the move, will get a video put together ASAP.

Basically, they setup cribs under the house and in the basement. Put 2 HUGE I beams perpendicular to the two supporting the house. Used ivory bar soap to lube the beams, pushed it into place with a skidsteer.

The crew was here from 7:30am and was cleared out by 3pm. That included bringing it up from the driveway.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Our young snowsweet apple tree had only produced one apple that survived this long. While it needed a few more weeks, the wind has other ideas. First apple grown here.

Of course we cut into it being so close to ripe. While it is a bit tart yet, the flavor profile was incredible. A firm white flesh apple, with wonderful flavor. 

What a tease. Hopefully next year we get enough to put some in the fridge!

Probably plant one or two more of this variety next year.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#31]
It's a young tree, and it's pollinator buddy isn't old enough to blossom yet. Hopefully my other young apple trees pick up the pace in the next couple years.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Rat Patrol, that was an impressive project, getting ready for the house, well done.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Rat Patrol, that was an impressive project, getting ready for the house, well done.
View Quote
Thanks! Still 4-6 weeks of work left before we can move in though.

Got the electrical service rebuilt last night, posted a small video update on my YouTube channel last night . Once power is back on, it's chicken butchering time after we bale hay. So I finally get to make the chicken butchering videos. After that, I'm going to install all the flooring upstairs so the Mrs can take her time decorating and moving stuff over. After that, I'm going to do the outdoor trenching for water, sewer, power. After that I'm going to button up the exterior foundation. Oh, need to get power in the new house ASAP too, I may do that before the trenching so that means I'll just run a temporary cord to run on generator power when we're in there but it will be nice to have lights.

Then I after all that I get to start in the basement during electrical HVAC putting up some more walls plumbing and drywall.

Still a bunch to do but it's coming along 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#34]
So the Mrs said if I get her a new house, she will do cooking episodes. 

Wish granted 

She is still kind of iffy, mainly because she has NO IDEA what to have as subject matter. She also hates her own voice on recording and isn't comfortable in front of a camera. As if I am....

Any specific ideas for videos would be welcomed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So the Mrs said if I get her a new house, she will do cooking episodes. 

Wish granted 

She is still kind of iffy, mainly because she has NO IDEA what to have as subject matter. She also hates her own voice on recording and isn't comfortable in front of a camera. As if I am....

Any specific ideas for videos would be welcomed.
View Quote
Any good pressure cooker recipes?  We use ours a lot these days.  Quick and easy with both of us working more than full time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Any good pressure cooker recipes?  We use ours a lot these days.  Quick and easy with both of us working more than full time.
View Quote
We have never used a pressure cooker, just the pressure canner. And we don't even can anymore...

Have heard they make delicious food though, its on the list of "things to investigate when our 3 year old starts sleeping".
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We have never used a pressure cooker, just the pressure canner. And we don't even can anymore...

Have heard they make delicious food though, its on the list of "things to investigate when our 3 year old starts sleeping".
View Quote
We got one of these and LOVE it.  Easy to use, pot comes out and goes in the dishwasher and makes better food quicker than a crock pot 

Amazon Product
  • 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Cooker--Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Saute/Browning, Yogurt Maker, Steamer & Warmer. Please refer the user manual before use.
  • Large, easy to use control panel with 14 Micro-Processor controlled programs, Dual pressure, Automatic keep-warm and 3 temperatures for saute and slow cook
  • UL and ULC certified with 10 proven safety mechanisms; Highly energy efficient and kitchen friendly

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, what the inspector and I talked about a week ago about a temporary solution ended up not being OK. Since he can't be sure the service will be changed later, it all has to be upgraded. 

This means a new run of wire from the new service to the old house, or just adding a neutral (the neutral is connected kind of funky on to of the pole) and leaving overhead wires. I don't want overhead wires..

It also means a new panel in the old house. Was planning on that anyway, but now its a here and now thing.

If I haul ass, I MAY, and I mean MAY be able to get it all done tonight/tomorrow, but I highly doubt it.

I guess we see what 2 weeks on generator time is like!

I'm posting this same update in my generator thread in the SF.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

We got one of these and LOVE it.  Easy to use, pot comes out and goes in the dishwasher and makes better food quicker than a crock pot 

www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ
View Quote
I'll look into it, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Im in for the chicken butchering videos. Weve decided were going to get some meat birds in the spring
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Im in for the chicken butchering videos. Weve decided were going to get some meat birds in the spring
View Quote
I HIGHLY recommend freedom ranger chicks. 

They may be a few cents more, but they don't have the sudden death issues of the CornishX, better flavor (mostly due to they are a bit older at butcher) and it isn't vital when you butcher them. Had I had CornishX this year, they all would have died of "natural causes" since I am now something like 7 weeks late to butcher. I also get roosters the size of turkeys. I'm talking breast fillets large enough that one is too much for me in one meal.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#42]
What are you using to pluck them?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Was using a plucking drum on a cheap corded drill, but I'm mostly done with a tub plucker for this year.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Yeah I've seen where people build them, I'm contemplating it.  I've seen where people make one that chucks into a drill, but it didn't seem as effective
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#45]
The ones that go on a drill you get from eBay are plenty effective I would recommend getting a really really really cheap 3/8 drill because it's going to get wet. The problem with the one that goes in the drill is it's hard on the back and just a lot of manual labor. It also takes a bit more time to pluck them than with a tub plucker . not bad but you're looking at a bit extra time. The biggest issue with the drill plucker for me is holding a 10-12 pound bird out with both arms away from you while the plucker is creating even more downward Force and then after 10 20 30 Birds it really starts to get your lower back or at least mine. If you're only planning on getting your feet wet in chicken and you're not planning on doing too many birds say more than 10 or 20 I think starting out with the drill plucker is a good idea. The tub plucker even building it myself is going to cost 3 to $400 and that's from scrounging motor if you had to buy a new motor add another hundred fifty bucks. But I also do up to 100 chickens a year so for me it's worth it I also don't have help for processing. One man show.
What I would highly recommend right off the bat is buying or building a scalding tank that you don't have to babysit I've spent more time babysitting the scolding tank to get it and keep it the right temperature and having to do that for nearly every bird. There is a lot of time wasted that's easy to fix.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Well, what the inspector and I talked about a week ago about a temporary solution ended up not being OK. Since he can't be sure the service will be changed later, it all has to be upgraded. 

This means a new run of wire from the new service to the old house, or just adding a neutral (the neutral is connected kind of funky on to of the pole) and leaving overhead wires. I don't want overhead wires..

It also means a new panel in the old house. Was planning on that anyway, but now its a here and now thing.

If I haul ass, I MAY, and I mean MAY be able to get it all done tonight/tomorrow, but I highly doubt it.

I guess we see what 2 weeks on generator time is like!

I'm posting this same update in my generator thread in the SF.
View Quote
After adding up costs and time, we will NOT be getting the power back on to the old house. That time and money is better spent on finishing and moving into the new house.

We are on generator power until we move to the new house. Probably about 2-3 weeks unfortunately. 
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:11:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Never a dull moment.

My son found this little guy crying in the bushes.

About 4 week old Fox squirrel.

Yup, he is raising it up to release when old enough.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#48]
REVENGE! Nothing but sweet revenge!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Progress had been painfully slow. Not enough light to do much in the evenings anymore...

Trenching today. The main trench is on the left, goes down 8 ft. It will have septic, water, internet, power. There small trench on the right is just for power, goes down only about 3-4 ft.

Getting closer to meeting them up, them the storms hit. Had my son working the laser level stick. 

Attachment Attached File
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top