Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The main areas we worked on clearing out are in the corner of the property by the road.  Got rid of some pignut and gun to give a burr oak room and cut the smaller stuff out of the property line to make room for some of the nicer walnuts.

Burr oak is on the right.

Attachment Attached File

Fence line

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Some after shots.

The burr oak doesn't have a whole lot of limbs on the left side due to the crowding from the other trees.  Should fill out nicely in a few years.

Attachment Attached File

No longer a dead dead tree on the corner

Attachment Attached File

Still need to get the stumps dug out and do a little dirt work then eventually this will be grass and mowed as part of the yard.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The pile burned down quite nicely.  Time to start another one next weekend 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Wife got some action shots of yours truly

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:44:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Even with our small place, that pile is never completely gone.  Always something lying there waiting to burn.
View Quote
Its never ending!  We probably have another 6-8 huge likes to burn before we are done with the fencelines up around the house.  We haven't touched the woods yet.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Continued working on the same fence line today as we did last weekend.  Cut another 30 or so trees out to open it up more and thin them out so they were not too crowded.  Tractor is really coming in handy!  Put 3 hours on it start to finish.  Ended up buying a battery sawzall that the wife loves for cutting the small stuff.  The trees ranged from 1-16".

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#7]
All said and done we burned about 4 times as much wood than is in the burn pile in the picture.  Just kept dumping it on the fire as we cut it.  Itll be burning for a few days!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Thee view is starting to improve!  Few more trees to go once they get the beans out of the field, going to have to drop them in the field.  Need to trim some branches up further as well.  Then comes the hard part, taking care of all the stumps.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#8]
keeping any of it for firewood?  even if you don't burn it yourself you might make a little selling it
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
keeping any of it for firewood?  even if you don't burn it yourself you might make a little selling it
View Quote
Nah, have plenty of hedge for our use.  The wife and I have enough irons in the fire, don't need to add selling firewood to the list 

We have some bigger walnuts that need to come down.  Trying to find a buyer for the logs once we fell them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Set a rock in place today and got the last few bags of mulch out.  Need to pick up a few more to finish in front of the pole barn.  Didn't do any fancy edging, hopefully widening the driveway to the entire width of the building next year.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Finally got around to rebuilding the Stihl 021.  New carb, intake boot, impulse line and gaskets took care of the problem.  Runs like a raped ape now!  Pulled full comp full chisel chain really well in some 16" hedge.  Need to get the 066 back up here from my parents place to finish cutting it up.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Did a little dirt work in one of the areas we cleared out today.  Hoping we get some rain this week to help settle it down.

Before:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After:

Attachment Attached File

Also got started building a backstop at the end of the shooting lane I cut though the woods.  Will be about 100 yards when done.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#13]
kitties may swoon at the sight of that pretty black dirt.  looks like good stuff
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did a little dirt work in one of the areas we cleared out today.  Hoping we get some rain this week to help settle it down.

Before:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG_7133-292034.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG_7134-292036.JPG

After:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG_7135-292040.JPG

Also got started building a backstop at the end of the shooting lane I cut though the woods.  Will be about 100 yards when done.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG_7137-292042.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG_7138-292043.JPG
View Quote
That looks great. That's of highest priority to me once we start building our house. I'm going to have the excavators clear a run about 150 yards long and 15 yards wide and then use all the dirt from digging out foundation to create the backstop. Sadly, we're talking a few years away though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That looks great. That's of highest priority to me once we start building our house. I'm going to have the excavators clear a run about 150 yards long and 15 yards wide and then use all the dirt from digging out foundation to create the backstop. Sadly, we're talking a few years away though.
View Quote
Solid plan.  I need to find a good area to dig dirt out of the woods to fill in some low spots around the yard.  

The wait will be worth it!
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is that Osage Orange?

That stuff is stringy as hell.
View Quote
Yep!  Makes great firewood!  Very tough stuff.  Hard on chains and hard to split.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep, I was looking at that.

As long as it's not black because of the walnut trees.

That's the midwest though.  Pretty, deep soil.  Though that is darker than the typical Loess I have seen, so maybe it's mollisol or alfasol or some other yummy, deep soil we don't have where I grew up.   (We are on the edge of the midweast Loess fields where I live.  Ten miles east of me, the terrain is hills.  If I look to my west, I can see the bottom end of glacial outwash.  I live right on the edge, which is extremely interesting to me because I see agriculture  from both and how it differs based on the geography/soil.

[/nerd moment]

Sorry.
View Quote
Lots of good black dirt around here.  Have to get down 3-6' to start to get into clay most places.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Took down a few more walnuts today.  They were starting to rot and looked pretty bad.  Not sure what we will fill the area in with.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Looking good. Once those trees get cleared out you'll feel like you own a bigger piece of property when you start being able to see farther.

How far away is your closest neighbor?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looking good. Once those trees get cleared out you'll feel like you own a bigger piece of property when you start being able to see farther.

How far away is your closest neighbor?
View Quote
Thanks!  That area already feels a lot bigger after taking just 3 trees out.

Closest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away.  Can't see their house unless you go down by the road.  Only about 5 houses within a 1 mile radius of us.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#24]
What do you do for internet? Cellular hotspot? Satellite?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What do you do for internet? Cellular hotspot? Satellite?
View Quote
WISP off a set of grain bins about .8 miles away.  7 MBPS down.  Could pull 15 or so if we wanted to pay for it.  $49.95 a month with no data caps.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I am so incredibly jelly.
View Quote
Me too... we have DSL that is a whopping 1.5mbps down
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:54:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am so incredibly jelly.
You might check around and see if there is a WISP in your area.  They are starting to get pretty common.  We can't get DSL, no phone line to the house 
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Took this iPotato sunset pic the other night.  Could never live in the city.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#31]
That's whats nice about the country. It's calm enough that  it allows you to forget about rest of the worlds problems and turmoils (at least for awhile). Simple things like that sunset are awesome and peaceful.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's whats nice about the country. It's calm enough that  it allows you to forget about rest of the worlds problems and turmoils (at least for awhile). Simple things like that sunset are awesome and peaceful.
View Quote
It's wonderful!  Only way we ever want to live.

Slight change of scenery this week, delayed honeymoon in Yellowstone!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Haven’t done much around the homestead lately.  Between being gone on the honeymoon, both of us being buried for work and now playing carpenter for a friend we just haven’t had time.

Long story short my good friend is building a house and recently fired the GC when it was 75% done or so.  Without going into too many details, he did mostly quality work but was very slow and generally disorganized.  The wife and I are working weekends for him and I’m working evenings after work helping him get finished so him, his wife, stepdaughter and their newborn can get moved in.  Been doing a lot of sheet metal, trim, got the kitchen base cabinets all installed last night, island is going in tonight.  

Still have have interior doors to hang, drop ceiling in the basement to put in, more trim, etc.  Would love to post pics but won’t be out of respect for his privacy.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Good on y'all for helping.  And glad you have the skills to pull him out of that mess.  Nothing more frustrating than having your exciting project turned into a total downer by a bad conctractor.

Y'all will have stories for the rest of your lives to tell the kids about how you and Mrs. Pavelow helped build their house.
View Quote
Thanks!  It worked out well for everyone.  They should be moving in here in a week or so.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#37]
The wife spent the morning quilting so I took the opportunity to do some yard work.  Cut down some dead trees and cleaned up some stuff that was already down.  Getting closer to having the last few sections of the yard cleaned up!

Burned  everything as I went

Attachment Attached File

Dead oak.  Getting it off the ground with the loader then cutting it up in 6-8’ pieces.

Attachment Attached File

I got my 066 back from my parents so I could finally cut the last section of hedge off.  Was about all the loader wanted!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Wife doing some quilting.  My mother finally got her into it and she’s loving it!  Now I’m going to need a second job to support fabric purchases 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I offer this about quilting:

Be careful about buying bargain fabric unless it's for a project you're on right now.

That stuff piles up, and we generally never get around to everything we think is a great idea, and addiction to fabric is nearly impossible to overcome.  It's my experience and observation that it's better to use our living space to live in, rather than store vast piles of fabric, no matter how lovely.  

Having spent the summer cleaning out the piles of fabric hoarded by a (now deceased) life-long quilter, my own personal experience with textile addiction was cemented in my mind.

We are not in the Great Depression and hopefully never shall be again.  Don't buy unless it's for your current project.

ETA:  That machine is awesome.

Does she have use for a serger?
View Quote
Too late, my mom has already corrupted her . She is buying fabric for several quits already.  I don’t mind too much.  My mom on the other hand has multiple closests full as well as her large sewing room full of fabric.  Thankfully both are only buying high quality fabric.  We will probably build my wife a craft/sewing room in the basement in the next year or so.  As long as she keeps everything she buys in there I’m happy.

No use for a Serger, yet...  Shes happy with her 1950s Singer that she got for $24 

My mom is thinking seriously about getting a long arm machine to make a little money on the side and to keep up with all the quilts she makes.  She currently works for a large quilt shop and get paid by free use of their long arm.  I have a feeling she’ll take the plunge and get on for herself when they move up by us in a couple years.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Cleared some dead dead stuff from around the shooting range and got it burned.

Attachment Attached File

Worked on clearing out the side yard today.  Got about half of it done.  This area is really uneven.  Tomorrow I'll start leveling all of the dirt out and then onto clearing the rest of it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Time for this hickory to finally come down!  Will fell it into the field next door since the crops are done and they are getting ready to work the ground.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Been crazy busy around here with work and the holidays.  Finally getting around to putting some pictures up.

Got the big hickory cut down and cut up a couple weekends ago.  I love my 066 . Made quick work of it.

Attachment Attached File

Letting the logs dry out some then they will eventually be burned.  They were about all the 2032R would pick up.

Attachment Attached File

Improved view

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Well we ended up having a white Christmas!  Had to clear a drift out of he driveway to make it to the in laws today.  The dogs got to enjoy the snow.  Was Orion's first time in it.  For being a mountain dog he sure isn't a fan of snow

Pushing Snow with the 2032R
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Not much new going on at the homestead.  Been having a low key winter and just waiting for the weather to improve before getting back on some outdoor projects.

The wife's sewing hobby has turned into full blow addiction

She had been using a 1963 Singer for making quilt tops and having all sorts of issues with it.  I was finally able to talk her into upgrading into a new machine.

Singer

Attachment Attached File

New Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 965Q .  She's glad she got it!

Attachment Attached File

Some of the quilt tops she's made this winter.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:28:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wow, she's good at it!

That third one from the bottom...That's going to be stunning!

They're all beautiful. But I think it's the color progression that wins me to that one.

That machine is amazing.

I can sew.  Own a machine, grew up with mom sewing my clothes.

I know how.  Even designed a quilt pattern by myself when I was in eighth grade. (I call that the year of the domesticity since there was also crocheting invoved)

I'd rather dig my eye out with a broken spoon than do that for more than fifteen minutes straight.

I admire people who have that bent.  The end product is so freaking amazing.
View Quote
Yes she is!  My mother has created a monster  Come spring she's probably going to have half a dozen quilt tops done

She loves that one too!  Not really my style, I like older more traditional patterns.  She designed the blue and white one and has a lot of people asking for the pattern.  Considering buying the software to make the pattern so she can sell it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#49]
When it's raining out but you really want to shoot...    Apollo on the lookout for squirrels.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
When it's raining out but you really want to shoot...    Apollo on the lookout for squirrels.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/93F923BD-ADD5-41FC-8FA3-BCE330006C24-458734.JPG
View Quote
Nice "Spotter" you have there!  Good Boy!
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top