BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hate it about the ground squirrels.  They're cuties, but sometimes cute things need to go elsewhere.

Good on you about the rabbits.  Hope the dogs are taught to not chase and kill.  That's not an easy lesson to instill.  *beats head on wall thinking of past attempts*
View Quote
I wouldnt mind having them around if they stayed out of the yard.

Apollo sniffed the nest out but left them alone when told no.  He tried to go back over to it a few times but turned right around when commanded   The only thing we've had problems with him chasing is deer.  Occasionally when he has to go out in the middle of the night there will be a deer in HIS yard and he's on it like white on rice.  Usually takes a zap from his training collar to get him to turn around from chasing a deer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Property's looking good!
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oh, the training collar.

Being able to "reach out and touch someone" is of great value, especially with GSDs and Rotties, in my experience.
View Quote
Best thing we ever did for him.  Most of the time now if he doesn't straighten up with a verbal command we just show him the remote for th shocking collar and he gets this oh shit look on his face then settles right down 
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Property's looking good!
View Quote
Thanks!  Should get a lot more done later this summer.  Have a huge project list for the tractor once it shows up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a whole lot happening around here lately.  The weather has downright sucked.  Been raining for the last week and turned cold.  Local farmers are gearing up to replant everything .  We have yet to put the garden in, I'm several weeks behind on spraying.  Been dodging raindrops to keep up with the yard .  

Orion is growing like a weed.  We found out he has a bad heart murmur and will be getting an ultrasound soon to see how bad it is 

Attachment Attached File

Were re getting some volunteer pumpkins where we shot them last fall 

Attachment Attached File

Random robins nest I found out walking the dogs

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Oh no!  Prayers out for Orion.
View Quote
Thanks!  These dogs are trying to bankrupt us .  Apollo managed to step on something which caused one of his toes to develop a large inflamed lump.  $350 later it seems to be going back down .   
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Productive weekend.  Garden was planted, got more flower bulbs in the ground and did some mulching.  Now we both have a nice sunburn to show for it 

The bed in front of the porch got more glads put in it then mulched.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Round bed on the other side of the sidewalk got some more lillies and a few dalias.  Edging mulch beds this was looks good but it sucks!  Especially when you don't have a tractor or garden kart to haul the dirt off with 

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

OMGOSH, that's an AWESOME edging job!  Your beds look wonderful.

What did you use to do that?

Oh...and how is Orion doing?
View Quote
Thanks!  This bed will eventually be expanded once we figure out what we want to do.  This was a temporary let's get the dirt covered up and looking better deal.  Will be using some of the large erratic rocks around the place for landscaping.

I used a strait spade to make the vertical cut and then a normal shovel to dig out the dirt on the angle.  I cleaned the edge up with the shovel a bit once I got the dirt out.

Orion is doing better.  Seems to have more energy and doesn't get winded as quickly.  Still haven't been able to get him in at the local vet for an ultrasound. They only have them once a month when a traveling guy comes through 
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Well it's been a busy week.  The now wife and I decided to elope on Tuesday . Between the USPS losing our marriage license application for Montana his fall and road closures when we would be there we just moved it to vacation this week.  Caught Walmart trees on clearance and got them in the ground.  Just helped the wife bring home her new toy.

A couple red maples up in the yard then two pin oaks at the drive way entrance.  These will eventually get a couple sections of split rail fence by them with landscaping.  Her new toy is a 69 Chevy C20.  Just what we needed, another project 
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Whoa!  Congratulations!    

I think i would get along great with your wife.  Old pickup trucks.  Want one.
View Quote
Thanks!  She's a keeper!  

She picked this up for $2500.  Solid frame and drivetrain.  Needs lower door skins, cab corners and supports and rocker panels.  An oil change and adjusting the brakes and it'll be ready for the road 
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What kind of gravel do you have on that driveway?
View Quote
Where at?  In front of the pole barn is some crushed limestone with crushed construction debris mixed in.  Looks terrible up close and will be getting scraped off to use as a base for expanding the driveway.  The main drive is 53's which apparently are an Indiana thing . The end toward the road has some dirt mixed in to give it that reddish brown color.  There is also a pretty good step from the road to the drive which we will be digging out and redoing.   The whole thing will eventually get a fresh cover of 53's.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#19]
John Deere dealer is still saying our tractor should be delivered to them June 20.  I'm still skeptical on that.  I found out they are a Rim Guard (beet juice) dealer so the rear tires will be getting filled up to the tune of 470 lbs 
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Just as I suspected, JD missed their delivery date.  The good news is it has been made and released to be shipped.  Hopefully have a firm arrival date soon!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Did some more weeding in the pumpkin patch tonight.  Got busy and got WAY behind 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#24]
 Thought the new tractor home today 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#26]
That's a good looking machine

What hp is it?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Woooot!!!!

Is it dirty yet?????

View Quote
Is now 
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That's a good looking machine

What hp is it?
View Quote
32.  They make a 38 hp as well, 2038R.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#30]
The wife got a feel for the new tractor while I was mowing the yard.  Got some rocks and concrete moved out of the pile on the property line.  This will eventually be reclaimed for yard.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After i got done mowing she let she let me on her tractor to start playing around.  Got most of a burn/dirt pile removed.  Needs a bit more work.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Found a spotted salamander in the dirt pile that I rescued for the wife

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Scored a free 5000 W Generac generator from my buddy who got a new one.  He salvaged this one from the dumpster years ago.  Just ran a few miles down the road with the tractor to pick it up on a pallet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Awesome!  Now tri-fuel that sh*t so you don't have to store gasoline.
View Quote
I'm debating that.  Currently looking into bulk gas and diesel storage at the house for the equipment anyway.  Long term I want a 20kw+ propane backup generator for the house with a dedicated tank.

This one needs new fuel lines so I may just go the propane route anyway.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Life finally slowed down a bit so I got some time on the tractor today.  Tore out a bunch of small trees, stumps, dumped concrete and level off the dirt mounds leftover from when the house was built.  Reclaimed about 20' of yard next to the garden 

Realized I forgot to take a before pic .  Area in question is just above the garden in this pic where the 2-3' tall stumps are.

Attachment Attached File

Had to haul out several large chunks of concrete left from the trucks dumping when the basement was poured.  Got relocated to a new pile in the woods back out of the way.

Attachment Attached File

Part way through.  Had to dig down 2-3' to get some of the trees out.  Wishing I would have let the wife talk me into buying the backhoe for the tractor 

Attachment Attached File

All finished.  Probably won't seed this until next year.  Need to let us settle some and still have a bit more to do once we start cleaning out the clump of trees to the right.  

Attachment Attached File

Starting to get a nice burn pile going 

Attachment Attached File

Now off to mow the yard!
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#36]
One of the things I like about rural areas-you can burn a giant pile of this and that and no one cares.  We casually torched a 6'x6' pile of rotten wood, brush and junk mail the other day.  The smoke travelled 1/4 mile....and still didn't leave our land.  

Your place is really looking good, what is the view this year, corn or beans?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
One of the things I like about rural areas-you can burn a giant pile of this and that and no one cares.  We casually torched a 6'x6' pile of rotten wood, brush and junk mail the other day.  The smoke travelled 1/4 mile....and still didn't leave our land.  

Your place is really looking good, what is the view this year, corn or beans?
View Quote
That is one nice thing about living out here . Just have to be careful in the fall not to catch the corn or bean stubble on fire when it's dry.

Corn across the road, corn one one side and beans on the other.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:27:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We got corn across the road this year, thank goodness.

I much prefer corn years.
View Quote
Same here!
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Not much new to report.  Thinking seriously about getting into quail next year.  Wife wants to do it as a hobby and some local friends are eager to buy a bunch even with the 0% survival rate.  

Just a beautiful evening out!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I never get tired of that view. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Look at that.

That right there is the whole reason to own property with land around it.

Sittin' on the porch watchin the shadows get long and the sun drop below the corn, and the lightning bugs come out one by one, crawlin' up the grass and taking off, hanging low to the ground, doing their magic thing.

Punching holes in the lid of a mason jar, and holding the jar while your little ones run around to catch them and fill up the lantern.  Teaching the kids to be gentle and careful so they don't kill the magic bugs.

Then, when too many mosquitos come out and it's time to go in, opening the jar and watching them light up the night in a spiral as they crawl to the top and escape.

Yep.
View Quote
Yep!  Our own little slice of heaven 

Might be a couple kids chasing lightning bugs in a year or two!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I never get tired of that view. 
View Quote
Ain't bad for Indiana!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Did some spraying to knock down horse weeds along the edge of the property line.  Think I donated a pint of blood to the mosquitos 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Haven't had any pet photos in awhile.  Orion is getting big!  Over 50 lbs and his bad heart isn't slowing him down at all.  Still has not shown any symptoms so no treatment as of yet.

Apollo claiming his seat as man of the house

Attachment Attached File

Orion being Orion

Attachment Attached File

Newest family member, no name yet.  I got the tractor and the wife got another cat   I say fair trade 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Awww!  She's beautiful!   We've got some kitties colored up like that.

We named ours Nebula and Andromeda because they're all colorful like photos of space.

ETA: We've got a cat named Orion, too.

Glad your Orion is doing okay.
View Quote
Thanks!  We love the space names!  I think Neska ended up sticking though 
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Well our AC compressor ended up dying Thursday night.  Partly glad it did, we were tired of nickel and dime repairs on it.  Ahh, the joys of home ownership 
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Hauled some stuff to the burn pile and got it going.  Started cleaning out one of the fence lines at the edge of the property.  Thinned out the trees to get rid of the junk ones and keep the good.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top