BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Drew it on a napkin in my garage one night, a trip to lowes and 2 days later I had a coop
View Quote

Did you steal my design technique?  

I at least looked at pictures online then used a scrap bit of paper!
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drew it on a napkin in my garage one night, a trip to lowes and 2 days later I had a coop

I looked around, and came up with the idea, at the time I built it I was toying with a pvc green house as well so that's how that came about, turns out lots of people have made runs out of pvc. The coop was fairly easy to design, I made it so I only needed 2 sheets of T11 siding, and 8 2x4s or so ( had them laying around)I ripped them down the center and  everything is framed up with 1.5x1.5 except the legs, and my neighbor had some leftover metal roofing, so all and all it was mostly built out of scrap.. Hardware and the run cost me the most.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I dove in with chickens this year myself. I bought my homestead a couple years ago and finally moved there full time in December.....

I built my coop on an old boat trailer that was left on the property by the previous owner.

It can hold up to 40 chickens ( I have 29 Black Australorp chicks in my brooder) and they will be heading into it in a couple of weeks. The tractor will be in a portable/solar electric fence paddock and will move about my property. I chose this design because I am going to utilize composting material from a nearby restaurant and grocery as my main source of food for my chickens. The coop also has a gutter system on the back of it to collect rain water and provide it to the chickens through a a series of water nipples.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I dove in with chickens this year myself. I bought my homestead a couple years ago and finally moved there full time in December.....

I built my coop on an old boat trailer that was left on the property by the previous owner.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm124/davidrw70/29%20tractor.jpg

It can hold up to 40 chickens ( I have 29 Black Australorp chicks in my brooder) and they will be heading into it in a couple of weeks. The tractor will be in a portable/solar electric fence paddock and will move about my property. I chose this design because I am going to utilize composting material from a nearby restaurant and grocery as my main source of food for my chickens. The coop also has a gutter system on the back of it to collect rain water and provide it to the chickens through a a series of water nipples.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm124/davidrw70/1%20waterer.jpg

View Quote
Liking the water system!!!

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a short video when I got it set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8dTe2sMOso
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Tack this thread!

Official Chicken thread?

We have an excellent Beekeeping one, I'm thinking we could use a Chicken one.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry for the lack of updates on my coop build. I have been busy with a bathroom project. today would have been a great day to get the coop outside and put together so I can get my chickens ordered. I am getting pretty excited to get them around the house
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:54:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Okay we'll tack it for a while and see how it goes.

Sometimes the tacked threads get overlooked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tack this thread!

Official Chicken thread?

We have an excellent Beekeeping one, I'm thinking we could use a Chicken one.

Okay we'll tack it for a while and see how it goes.

Sometimes the tacked threads get overlooked.

I am glad its tacked, thank you!

Our yard is pretty wet so far this spring, I built some raised platforms and used hay to give the chickens a bit of buffer from all the mud.  I will have to take a spring picture, then another after spring cleaning with fresh sand!  
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:36:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Awesome, are very own chicken thread!! Ill get some more pics up here shortly, the weathers breaking so Im going to be using my watering system again.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Its great this thread is tacked!

Chickens are great. The more people that have them, the better!
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Awesome, are very own chicken thread!! Ill get some more pics up here shortly, the weathers breaking so Im going to be using my watering system again.
View Quote

I would like to see this as I still have no set watering system yet for my coop. I still need to get it outside and finished before I place my order for chicks

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Paint is drying on the coop right now. I decided to go with a Barn Red with White trim. I know it may be a warm color in the summer I just hope in the winter it will absorb some warmth. also I could not complain about the price wal mart had it on sale
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Paint is drying on the coop right now. I decided to go with a Barn Red with White trim. I know it may be a warm color in the summer I just hope in the winter it will absorb some warmth. also I could not complain about the price wal mart had it on sale
View Quote
Old timers tell me there was a reason barns were red. Supposed to be the perfect color compromise for summer and winter.

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:35:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#20]
You know it will be all your chicken raising people fault if I end up with chickens.
Problem is where I live  is zone R1 and the local .gov says no chickens. Sometimes
I think about seeing if I could get away with it. i think 3 hens in a nice chicken cage set up will work.
I won't be able to let them free range. my border collie would go nuts trying to herd them.
"Give me chickens or give me death" may be my new battle cry.
My other place I can have chickens. It was one of the first questions I asked before buying
the place. I will be there in 4 years
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Interesting!  I never heard that before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Old timers tell me there was a reason barns were red. Supposed to be the perfect color compromise for summer and winter.    

Interesting!  I never heard that before.
I'm not sure if true, just what I was told.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#23]

<a href="http://s295.photobucket.com/user/davidrw70/media/29%20tractor.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm124/davidrw70/29%20tractor.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s295.photobucket.com/user/davidrw70/media/1%20waterer.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm124/davidrw70/1%20waterer.jpg</a>

View Quote

Moved my flock into the coop. The coop was built to fit into my shop and that is where it is parked for the next week until they finish feathering out and this current cold spell passes. I cannot wait to get them outside and let them free range a bit within the mobile electric net that I have.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#24]
The reason barns are red is because it was the cheapest, easiest paint to make. Iron oxide. It also help to preserve the wood.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Just a quick update....

I let my chicks out on the grass for the first time this morning. Not the best day, windy, rainy, and about 50'f. However, after they tested the fence a couple of times they settled in to what will most likely be their normal routine. Scratching, eating, and pooping!

" />
Opened up the coop and cleaned out the pine shavings from the last week.

" />
Covered the pine shavings with hay and manure from my rabbit hutch.....about a weeks worth.

" />

Then I covered with a layer of old veggies from the local organic grocery that my mom manages. After that I spread their daily ration of chick feed over the top and jst backed off and let them figure it out from there.

" />

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Those veggies are wonderful for them!  

What made you decide to mix in the rabbit manure?

View Quote

The chickens will scratch through the rabbit manure and disperse it through the rest of the pile thus promoting more nutrients to the compost and it should also attract beneficial micro organisms to the pile as well which the chickens will also feed on. In the next week or so I will also be adding cow manure, from a neighbor, to the pile as well so they will disperse that through the pile as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Thats exactly the plan. Every week I will move the tractor and start a new pile while leaving the old one where it is aside from reforming the pile. They will do most of the work turning the compost piles and after a month I will have a pile that is ready to be sifted and used. Then every week after that I will have another pile ready as I move the tractor and the fencing. The veggies, manure, microorganisms will end up being my chicken feed and I should not have to buy any feeds or grains to supplement them through the summer and fall.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Kitties, thanks for letting me know about this thread.

I've had chickens since 2012. My coop is an 8x8 shed that was already here, and I have a run built onto it that's about 20' long. Mine isn't predator proof though, so I have occasional losses (but most losses are while they're free ranging).

I'll post some pics later.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I would like to see this as I still have no set watering system yet for my coop. I still need to get it outside and finished before I place my order for chicks

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry it took so long, but here are some pics of my watering system..

These are the chicken nipples (the red things tapped into the section of pvc)

Here is the 5 gallon bucket that feeds the nipples, all gravity fed..

Here is a simple rain catch that fills the bucket..

Other then a coat of paint, I think I just about satisfied with the coop.. One thing I forgot to take a pic of was the 5 gallon bucket feeder... Its really simple to make, and will keep my 8 birds fed for just shy of a week... In the summer time when the water stays unfrozen I dont have to mess with food or water but maybe once a week. I just collect eggs.. You can kind of see the bucket feeder in this pic.. (the top left corner) Its very easy to make, just buy a 3 inch pvc 90 degree elbow, and cut a hole in a bucket so the elbow stays about an inch of the bottom.. Glue the elbow in, once it's dry fill it up with feed..

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You will probably have to buy some based on what I'm seeing in the photos and what I know chickens eat.

Maybe not too much, but I think you'll still have to buy some scratch or laying mash for them.

ETA:  They will ALWAYS choose the non-grain feed when they can get it. So you can feed in a suspended feeder and not worry about that discouraging them from doing what you want.  They'll go for the natural foods first...they'll eat your veggies, then they'll scratch in the pile for other stuff...and they'll supplement with your feed.  But after many years of raising chickens, I do not think I would leave them with a pile like what you pictured and no feed.

Nope...I wouldn't do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thats exactly the plan. Every week I will move the tractor and start a new pile while leaving the old one where it is aside from reforming the pile. They will do most of the work turning the compost piles and after a month I will have a pile that is ready to be sifted and used. Then every week after that I will have another pile ready as I move the tractor and the fencing. The veggies, manure, microorganisms will end up being my chicken feed and I should not have to buy any feeds or grains to supplement them through the summer and fall.

You will probably have to buy some based on what I'm seeing in the photos and what I know chickens eat.

Maybe not too much, but I think you'll still have to buy some scratch or laying mash for them.

ETA:  They will ALWAYS choose the non-grain feed when they can get it. So you can feed in a suspended feeder and not worry about that discouraging them from doing what you want.  They'll go for the natural foods first...they'll eat your veggies, then they'll scratch in the pile for other stuff...and they'll supplement with your feed.  But after many years of raising chickens, I do not think I would leave them with a pile like what you pictured and no feed.

My limited experience and talk with locals leads me to the same conclusion.  They should have access to unlimited amount of laying feed, crumble, or whatever you choose.  They will eat every bug they can catch, rip up every tasty looking root, and pluck every blade off grass in your lawn just for the fun of it, and then only after they have had there fill of fresh green will they supplement with the grains, but its important for a well balanced diet for maximum egg production.  They know what their systems need and will balance it out accordingly.  One thing is for sure, I go through  much less feed during the summer when they free range, but we still go through some, and our girls and guy have access to as much land as they want...  they usually don't travel more then 50 yards from their coop no matter what though.

We use two vertical PVC feeders.  They each hold a couple gallons off crumble.  In the winter they last just shy of a week.  In the summer, when they get maximum range time its maybe doubled?

I try to only give mine scratch as a treat, a cup or so every other day to the flock, and they go crazy over it.  Its a good reward system for when you want to get them back in the coop.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I started to clean out my coop today, but my rake broke before I got much done.
Postponed until next week, after I buy a new rake.

The chickens always like to search for goodies in my Rzr, and sometimes they just sit in there with me.

We spent a good part of today working on a goat pen, in anticipation of the goats I hope to buy next week. I'm hoping to find two young female dwarf Fainting Goats. My daughter and S-I-L did most of the work, since I'm disabled.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 11:50:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 1:06:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

For purposes of the Official Chicken Thread...will you describe and/or show how to make the PVC feeders?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My limited experience and talk with locals leads me to the same conclusion.  They should have access to unlimited amount of laying feed, crumble, or whatever you choose.  They will eat every bug they can catch, rip up every tasty looking root, and pluck every blade off grass in your lawn just for the fun of it, and then only after they have had there fill of fresh green will they supplement with the grains, but its important for a well balanced diet for maximum egg production.  They know what their systems need and will balance it out accordingly.  One thing is for sure, I go through  much less feed during the summer when they free range, but we still go through some, and our girls and guy have access to as much land as they want...  they usually don't travel more then 50 yards from their coop no matter what though.

We use two vertical PVC feeders.  They each hold a couple gallons off crumble.  In the winter they last just shy of a week.  In the summer, when they get maximum range time its maybe doubled?

I try to only give mine scratch as a treat, a cup or so every other day to the flock, and they go crazy over it.  Its a good reward system for when you want to get them back in the coop.

For purposes of the Official Chicken Thread...will you describe and/or show how to make the PVC feeders?

I will post some pictures tomorrow.  Mine are super easy.

Until then...

...My girls prefer a Honda!
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 1:24:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Feeders first try using windshield washer jugs, notches cut at bottom of PVC to allow flow of crumble:

They seemed to be more interested in digging the food out and making a mess then eating so my wife came up with a great idea to use the little feeder bases we already had from raising them as chicks...  The reason we didn't want to just do PVC feeder tubes is because only one bird can eat at a time with those.  We have a dozen hens, four of which and the rooster were adopted from another flock so we want to have plenty of eating opportunity's for all birds.  With these multiples can get in there and get food at the same time.  The spill was almost completely eliminated.

These are the feeder bases that we already had:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/harris-farms-baby-chick-feeder-for-quart-jar

Simple strapping and two screws hold them in place.  They just set on the feeder bases, no glue.  Easy to take apart and clean if necessary.

Wooden tops made from scraps allow the feeders to breath:

Fill using a windshield washer jug turned funnel:

Happy hens:

Its something that's a bit different then I found online, allows multiple birds to eat at the same time, and is so easy that anyone can do it.  

The bases are nothing more then their spring scaffolding to keep them out of the mud and moisture, allows them to get up out of it.  Once things start to dry out the whole base will get mucked out, raked smooth, fresh sand put down and the platforms will get washed off and saved for next spring.  We leave a few logs in there during the summer/ winter.  The tarp wind block also comes off.  The feeders will get blocked up on their own very small platforms so they wont be at feet level all summer.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Feeders first try using windshield washer jugs, notches cut at bottom of PVC to allow flow of crumble:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/chickens/WP_20160229_019_zpsgyv91kcw.jpg

They seemed to be more interested in digging the food out and making a mess then eating so my wife came up with a great idea to use the little feeder bases we already had from raising them as chicks...  The reason we didn't want to just do PVC feeder tubes is because only one bird can eat at a time with those.  We have a dozen hens, four of which and the rooster were adopted from another flock so we want to have plenty of eating opportunity's for all birds.  With these multiples can get in there and get food at the same time.  The spill was almost completely eliminated.

These are the feeder bases that we already had:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/harris-farms-baby-chick-feeder-for-quart-jar

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/chickens/WP_20160326_001_zpsilofbzbg.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/chickens/WP_20160326_002_zpsszgcpi8h.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/chickens/WP_20160326_011_zpsxr0x3al8.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/chickens/WP_20160326_018_zps04jcdlbx.jpg

Simple strapping and two screws hold them in place.  They just set on the feeder bases, no glue.  Easy to take apart and clean if necessary.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/chickens/WP_20160326_004_zpscnent5eb.jpg

Wooden tops made from scraps allow the feeders to breath:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/chickens/WP_20160326_005_zpslov4lnv7.jpg

Fill using a windshield washer jug turned funnel:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/chickens/WP_20160326_006_zpshye5hcfn.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/chickens/WP_20160326_003_zpslilzhecs.jpg

Happy hens:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/chickens/WP_20160326_020_zpshisphdkt.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/chickens/WP_20160326_019_zpsxohatonr.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/chickens/WP_20160326_009_zpslvii2bbg.jpg

Its something that's a bit different then I found online, allows multiple birds to eat at the same time, and is so easy that anyone can do it.  

The bases are nothing more then their spring scaffolding to keep them out of the mud and moisture, allows them to get up out of it.  Once things start to dry out the whole base will get mucked out, raked smooth, fresh sand put down and the platforms will get washed off and saved for next spring.  We leave a few logs in there during the summer/ winter.  The tarp wind block also comes off.  The feeders will get blocked up on their own very small platforms so they wont be at feet level all summer.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/chickens/WP_20160326_007_zpsflghnusz.jpg
View Quote

This gave me and idea....
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#44]
The Wife and I have been debating doing chickens for the last two years.
We have looked at pre-made coops and mulled over different designs.
I had chickens when I was younger so this is not new to me. The wife has never had chickens.
We have decided that we are going to design and build our own coop this year. It will be either 10x12 or 10x14. Probably A-Frame construction.
I am going to lay out the area this week and start shopping for materials. I will update along the way with our progress.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I would figure out the size/type of run you're going to attach, before buying any supplies. That may change part of the construction plans.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#46]
The coop will be either 10x12 or 10x14 and the run will be as wide as the building and about 20' long.
I am going to use fence panels with a gate and also 4' high chicken wire on the inside that will be buried about 12" to keep critters from digging their way in.
For the coop, I am thinking something like this design
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks like a good plan. It's easy to add ventilation to a shed like that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 1:00:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Use 1/4" hardware cloth, rather than screen. Predators can rip through any screen.

When you put in any ventilation or windows, put them where they won't cause any draft across the roosts. You need the air exchange, for heat in the Summer and to remove moisture in the Winter (moisture is what causes frostbite/frozen combs), but having it blow on them directly can cause problems too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 1:21:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top