Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:53:56 PM EDT
[#1]
This kid is a chicken catching machine. He likes to kiss them though.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is AWESOME!!!!
WHERE did you find "chicken harnesses?

No, I'm not going to do that, but it's awesome.

Next up?

Seeing-eye chicken.  Take your chicken to Lowe's and carry one of those little telescoping sticks.

Have somebody film it from a distance.

View Quote

I bet @Piccolo would be up for that!!

As for  harnesses...

The guy who runs MyPetChicken.com takes it WAAAYYY off the deep end. Chicken diapers so they can live in the house, for example.

He makes oatmeal every morning for his girls, for another.

Still, the chicken harnesses DO work well if they are well-fitted. (HobbitWife's idea, not mine.)
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I bet @Piccolo would be up for that!!
View Quote

A cat was just fine, thank you...
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Got up to 60 today, down to 25 last night. I gotta make sure the chickens are OK. We just got an electric waterer for them, keeps the water from freezing. And they still don't like going inside the coop, except to eat and drink and lay eggs, even in the cold.

I'm told that they are good down to about 10-15 F or even cooler, then they will go inside and huddle up. For now they huddle on a long roosting bar outside in the cold air.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 7:02:35 AM EDT
[#5]
When I got my chicks I was told to lock them in the coop for 24 hours and then let them out.  That way they would know where home is.  Have had no trouble with them putting themselves up.  Bought an automatic door an it is great.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]
So a hawk almost got one of my girls today. What can I do to keep hawks away other than a rooster (not allowed in my city) or a shotgun?
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So a hawk almost got one of my girls today. What can I do to keep hawks away other than a rooster (not allowed in my city) or a shotgun?
View Quote

The rooster would get you in less trouble than the shotgun...

Hawks are tough to deal with, unless a netting cover is an option.

Having covered areas in the run the birds can take shelter in helps.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
My chickens are eating their eggs! I just discovered a broken egg, with a chicken eating the yolk. What can I do to stop this?
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My chickens are eating their eggs! I just discovered a broken egg, with a chicken eating the yolk. What can I do to stop this?
View Quote

They need calcium, either oyster shell or aragonite (sp?). Try that at first and then if they continue eating eggs get some plastic ones to put in there and they should eventually break them of the habit..... but you may have to check more frequently for eggs.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Once they get started, the only way to stop them is to have chicken dinner.
Oh, you may slow them down with fake eggs, but they will just get smarter about it...

A lot of the time an egg accidentally gets broken by a chicken being clumsy, or a nesting box with all the soft stuff scratched out, etc.
Then the chicken or chickens discover how good egg is.  And start looking for more.  And pecking eggs till she finds more...
We have tons of ceramic eggs in our nesting boxes, they still pick out the real ones occasionally.
If I catch the chickens doing it, they are goners!
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
get a goose
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Cannibalism update:

HobbitWife read online that it can be caused by lack of nutrition, especially protein.

Meal worms have lots of protein.

We never had cannibalism with our two hens in Nuevo Mehico.

We fed them lots of mealworms, b/c they went absolutely wild when we did so!

hmmmm...

She put some mealworms, along with some calcium & some other stuff, in a bowl. Hens went wild for it!

just 20 minutes ago I found one perfect egg; it was cold so it'd been there for awhile, right in the door to the penthouse of the coop. I'm hoping the problem's solved.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd be very, very careful about shooting a hawk, or most any raptor. There MAY be an exception if you are protecting your livestock, but still... be very careful: many if not most raptors are protected by federal law.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#14]
What can I use to water the chickens that can be connected to the water hose so it doesn't run out and also stays clean?
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'd be very, very careful about shooting a hawk, or most any raptor. There MAY be an exception if you are protecting your livestock, but still... be very careful: many if not most raptors are protected by federal law.
View Quote
Yeah can't do it here.

Does a goose need more space than <.25 acre?
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah can't do it here.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah can't do it here.

Just one dresser drawer, or so I'm told...  
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah can't do it here.

View Quote
It'll be fine. Just make sure you get a gosling and raise it with the chickens. It'll watch out for them and guard against predators.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It'll be fine. Just make sure you get a gosling and raise it with the chickens. It'll watch out for them and guard against predators.
View Quote
I got the chickens in May and have been laying for a couple months now. Would chickens typically accept a new Gosling now?
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got the chickens in May and have been laying for a couple months now. Would chickens typically accept a new Gosling now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
they may pick on it a bit but it'll be too big for them to bully pretty quick.  Goose just needs to think he's a chicken so he'll keep an eye out for predators and they're big enough to deter a hawk.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
they may pick on it a bit but it'll be too big for them to bully pretty quick.  Goose just needs to think he's a chicken so he'll keep an eye out for predators and they're big enough to deter a hawk.
View Quote
I'll look into it; though the hawk went after one of my girls when my wife was 10' away.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.hobbyfarms.com/raise-a-goose-to-guard-your-flock/
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I admit that I first through the chickens would get zapped.  My chickens reach through any fence to get what's on the other side, no matter how lush the greenery in their run, cuz....chickens.

If they get against it, I'm assuming they'll get shocked.  With you going to a 12v battery, are you going to transform it down somehow, so they're not getting that hit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Kitties-with-Sigs

Would love to have you out here sometime!

Wrapped up the 2nd tractor.  A few minor improvements, mostly at the front.  

If anyone wants a materials  (eta: added below) and cut list, let me know and I'll put that together.

A few pics and details:

The rear.  The black band is 1/2" irrigation tubing I slit and am using it as edging on the siding panel to minimize water damage to the core of the panel.  Nesting box access is door 1'x2'.  The white panel is a plastic UV resistant wall panel and the grey is a contractor grade poly woven weed block that is also UV treated.  The grey panel acts as shade block but still lets water/air flow through.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20200604_094546-1446355.jpg

Shows how I notched the back wall panel to fit.  The "tongue" of the panel is screwed into the back PVC pipe.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20200604_094813-1446364.jpg

I kept two rows of wire fence as an overhang/"skirt".  The idea is I can push it down to cover dips/holes/gaps in the ground.  Remember, the wire is energized, so any predator that pokes a nose at it to try and dig/climb/reach will get popped.  The chickens aren't bothered by it - feathers are poor conductors if they brush up against it and the walls are vertical enough that they don't do that much anyway.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20200604_094732-1446363.jpg

The tiny energizer.  Runs on 2 Ds presently and looks like I'm getting about a month from a fresh set.  Would last longer if I didn't let the "skirt" contact so much grass.  I bought some buck converters and plan on hooking up a small solar panel and 12v battery to each tractor to negate the need to swap batteries.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20200604_094721-1446362.jpg

The nesting "boxes" are 2 buckets with the top quarters cut off and a half lid as the end cap.  I put one fastener through the center of the bucket with a fender washer from the interior.  Then I drilled an over-sized hole at an angle through the back wall and the bucket near the bottom of the bucket and dropped a nail through the hole.  The nail keeps the bucket from turning, but I can pull the nail from the backside of the tractor, reach through the access door and spin the bucket upside down to clean it out.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20200604_094705-1446361.jpg

Detail showing the top cross bar of 1/2" metal conduit.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20200604_094824-1446365.jpg

Refined front.  No longer using any of the siding panel.  The dimensional lumber used was cypress 2x3 - and in most cases cut those in half as 1.5x1.5s  Excuse the gaudy brass hinges, I have a bucket full of old ones from where I replaced all the hinges in the house.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20200604_095757-1446358.jpg

Parts list:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/ct-1446801.png

I admit that I first through the chickens would get zapped.  My chickens reach through any fence to get what's on the other side, no matter how lush the greenery in their run, cuz....chickens.

If they get against it, I'm assuming they'll get shocked.  With you going to a 12v battery, are you going to transform it down somehow, so they're not getting that hit?

Not so much.  6 months on, and I can honestly say I've never seen one pay the energized wire any mind, much less act like they've been shocked.  An electric fence requires the shockee to have both (1) a good path to ground and (2) direct exposure to the conductor.  Chicken feet, like most birds, are very poor conductors for grounding - combined with their feathers being excellent insulators from the energized wires.  They definitely stick their heads through the panels to get at bugs, plants, my boots, etc.

I did scrap the internal bucket nesting boxes - the kids didn't like reaching in with the roosters on patrol.

To stay with the "light weight"  theme, the nesting boxes are externally sideways mounted heavy duty plastic storage totes (18 ish gallons IIRC).  A whole was cut in the floor of the box to align with the access panel on the back wall of the coop.  The lid was cut into two pieces - one strip permanently attached to keep the bedding in, and the 2/3rds upper is removable for collecting the eggs.  To keep it secure from racoons, I used two lengths of wood as lock bars that pivot and pin in place to keep it secure.

Tote and security bars.

Gutter nail at an angle keeps the bars tightly closed.  The screw w/fender washer is the pivot point for opening.

Side view showing the through hole for the gutter nail

Security bar swung to the open position

A peek inside

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:15:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Our Ayam Cemani eggs should hatch tomorrow.  Everything about them is black, feathers, eyes, feet, bones, skin, meat.  They should look like this:

And our big weird chicken gobbles now and does this strange strutting dance with all of his tail feathers spread out.  Its the strangest thing ever.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Beautiful birds.

Is that a Harris Farms incubator?  If so, how do you like it?  I just ordered one last night.
View All Quotes

Thank you. Fred is a standard bronze heritage and is looking for some single ladies to call his own. I think he’s jealous of the roosters.

I have no idea about the incubator. It’s my neighbor’s who I do the chicken thing with.

It looks like we’ll end up with 6 chicks out of 14 eggs. I’m not sure what the a average is for hatching eggs, but that seems like a pretty crappy percentage, especially at $15/egg.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#27]
were the eggs shipped or did you pick them up from someone?  Shipping can be very hard on eggs.
We have some shipped and had 100% hatch.  But most of what we have had shipped have been in the 25-50% range.

Edited to add:  I didn't think about them being from your own chickens, because of your comment of $15 per egg. If that is the case 6/14 or 43%is a pretty poor percentage.  Ours usually runs between 90-100% in that case.
If so, time to look at length of time before putting them in the incubator, temperature and humidity both before and during incubation.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
were the eggs shipped or did you pick them up from someone?  Shipping can be very hard on eggs.
We have some shipped and had 100% hatch.  But most of what we have had shipped have been in the 25-50% range.

Edited to add:  I didn't think about them being from your own chickens, because of your comment of $15 per egg. If that is the case 6/14 or 43%is a pretty poor percentage.  Ours usually runs between 90-100% in that case.
If so, time to look at length of time before putting them in the incubator, temperature and humidity both before and during incubation.
View Quote

I didn’t order them so I don’t know those details. I know the incubator is set to 99.5* at either 70% or 73% humidity. The birds that hatched seem very healthy and come up glass to check you out when you get close.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like shipped eggs to me.  It can be especially tough in the winter depending on the distance, etc.  They get left in trailers, not in warm buildings a lot of the time.
Then thrown around, even though they have fragile all over them.  Plus any road travel is going to be rough, those trucks aren't sprung for smoothness, they are sprung for longevity.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m not terribly worried about it, these birds are for fun and a bit of a novelty/curiosity. We’ll take the 5-6 and baby them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Those chickens are gorgeous!  What color are the eggs?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Our Ayam Cemani eggs should hatch tomorrow.  Everything about them is black, feathers, eyes, feet, bones, skin, meat.  They should look like this:

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/raven3a.jpg

https://www.goodnewsfromindonesia.id/uploads/post/large-ayam-cemani-rare-chicken-breed-black-inside-da9a80a092908aca7548de6b10ed4390.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ayam-cemani-facts-you-didnt-know.72991/cover-image

And our big weird chicken gobbles now and does this strange strutting dance with all of his tail feathers spread out.  Its the strangest thing ever.

Those chickens are gorgeous!  What color are the eggs?

White.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#37]
How are you guys managing your egg production? I'm looking at 5-6 birds, unsure of what breed at this point, but I'd like to get 2-3 eggs a day. Our neighbors who have about the same size flock are getting 6-7 eggs per day, sometimes less.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#38]
We get enough eggs to be able to give some to neighbors. We were getting 16-18 per day before the days got shorter. Now we’re getting 11-14 per day. We have 19 hens.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How are you guys managing your egg production? I'm looking at 5-6 birds, unsure of what breed at this point, but I'd like to get 2-3 eggs a day. Our neighbors who have about the same size flock are getting 6-7 eggs per day, sometimes less.
View Quote

My six Barred Rocks usually deliver 4-5 and sometimes 6 eggs a day. They are fed a diet of regular organic chicken feed, some oyster shell for calcium, and dried meal worms.

I had the beginnings of a cannibalism problem (hens breaking and eating eggs) until I added the oyster shell and meal worms. Seems that egg-eating is the result of a calcium and protein deficiency; they immediately stopped when I fed them this stuff, and their lust for mealyworms is comical! Wanna entertain some visiting kids? Give 'em a tuna can of meal worms and turn 'em loose in the chicken coop!
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@Franksymptoms

Where are you getting your oyster shell and mealworms?  You have a local source?
View Quote

This stuff is at tractor supply if you have that near you.

Hint - buy the 50 lb bag of Oyster shell. It only costs twice as much as the 5 lb bag. I use mine to refill my 5 lb bag that I keep at the coop and on Weds and Saturday I fill up a half quart Tupperware that is screwed to the run wall by the waterer with the shells.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:08:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:26:57 AM EDT
[#44]
The oyster shell is kept in 50 lb bag in garage and I just refill the little 5 lb bag I keep in a blocked off nesting box in the coop.

I generally use a whole bag of feed approx every 3 weeks to top off my feeders. So I don’t really store food other than a single unopened bag and maybe 10-15% of an open bag in my garage, rolled down and object on top of it to keep mice out.

I have two of these in the coop and like I said I only refill them every 3 weeks or so when they are low.

Attachment Attached File

[Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Here are my videos for more information on some other chicken care I do:

Introducing Chicks to Vertical Nipple Waterer

Introducing chicks to food, and some glamour shots!

Transition chicks to Horizontal Nipple Waterer at 10 days; maintenance free, clean!

Ramp Training Chicks At 2 Weeks in 2 Days or Less
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@Franksymptoms

Where are you getting your oyster shell and mealworms?  You have a local source?
View Quote

HobbitWife says she gets it from Walmart, Bimart (local to Oregon, Washington, and Idaho), and her preferred choice is Azure Standard. Azure Standard is an online store with ALL KINDS of stuff; they are a natural organic supplier for animals and hoomans alike. They ship pretty much all over the country, and are adding new routes all the time.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#46]
They are liking this!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#47]
We feed our birds 20% layer pellets, scratch, human food scraps (the toddlers make sure they have plenty), super worms (supposed to have a better mix of nutrients), and we crush up the egg shells and add it to the scrap bucket. They also got the pumpkins after we took down the fall decorations and I spread out some of the straw inside their run. We have yet to have any hens eat their eggs.

In other news: the two year old DOES NOT like it when the turkey struts and gobbles, and the turkey doesn’t like it when we pick up the hens. He displays rooster-like behavior.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Ooooo!!!  Ima watch your videos!

With regard to the feeder....

I have a gazillion of those tidy cat buckets.

There are two openings on one side and one on the other because that is what will fit in the bucket and allow the feed to flow???

@riflenoob

ETA: And how much "short" of the bottom of the bucket do you leave the PVC fittings?  A couple of inches?

Anything specific about the measurements of what you do would be very welcome. I need to build these. I'm currently wasting SO much feed.

View Quote

Yes

Probably an inch off the bottom. They are basically zero waste,
They don’t bill out food etc. I start off chicks with them after just a few days in a much smaller one.

Set of hole saw bits, if you Don’t have, from Harbor Freight does the trick - they are much much cheaper than Lowe’s/ HD and you’re only cutting a few holes in soft plastic.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top