BCM
User Panel

Page / 104
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#1]
That’s really pretty land
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Spent about 12 hours over the weekend mowing. Only another 20 hours to go.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Merlin:
My neighbor finally came and got his logs yesterday afternoon.  Due to the size and weight of that big Shagbark Hickory trunk that was I giving him, he brought his 95 hp Kubota with the LA1353 loader and forks to load it up on his trailer.

Pallet forks might great for one or maybe two logs, after that it's a shitshow, unless they are perfectly lined up, which these were not.  So he loaded up the Hickory and I used my grapple to load the rest.

His tractor loading the Hickory, you can just barely see his truck and trailer.

https://i.imgur.com/B6Zi9dr.jpg

Got the first load on board and off to his place (about a mile away) to unload it.  This is me prepositioning the 2nd load of logs.  You can see my house and shop in the background.  In front of the shop you can also see my still-unfinished Back 20 Deer Shooting House.  It's been temporarily renamed "The Outhouse" while we have people work on our house.

https://i.imgur.com/kdixcoj.jpg

2nd load done!

https://i.imgur.com/BTf046p.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dErHyX0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Rzarl7K.jpg

Thanks for looking!

View Quote

I’m looking forward to having a grapple. Probably won’t pick up much more than tree limbs but the l47’s 2850lbs loader is gonna give me a lot of potential
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ZW17:
Got to rolling some bales today. I narrowly beat out the rain. It wasn’t supposed to rain until around dinner time according to the weather reports yesterday. I woke up today to a much different report... Rain starting at noon.

I was in full panic mode and of course there was a heavy dew on the ground so I had to wait for it to burn off. I started rolling the hay over (rake) around 10am which was too early but I was racing against the clock. Baled the first 30 acres by 2pm and then raked and bales the last 10 acres by 3:30. It just started to sprinkle here.

Being a hay farmer in the Ohio valley weather system is like playing Russian roulette. In two years of doing this I have never had an easy time. I hate hay season.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36030/496BB1AC-B92C-421B-9F94-71BEA469C794-1581578.jpg
View Quote

That’s why we bought a silage bale wrapper.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 7:20:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BPR] [#8]

You really need to be leasing that out as hay ground. That is some beautiful grass.
View Quote

Funny you mention that- I had the neighbor lined up to bale it this year. Between a really wet year, and his full time job covering him up, he only cut one field, and it got rained on.  Which leads me to mowing about 30 acres in about 10 different fields. Some of the fields are too steep to bale anyway- I think I figure it’s about 15 acres that could be baled.  

He did graze cattle on two of the fields in the late spring, but I’m mowing them this fall.  I have another plan for next year.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

I'm looking forward to having a grapple. Probably won't pick up much more than tree limbs but the l47's 2850lbs loader is gonna give me a lot of potential
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
My neighbor finally came and got his logs yesterday afternoon.  Due to the size and weight of that big Shagbark Hickory trunk that was I giving him, he brought his 95 hp Kubota with the LA1353 loader and forks to load it up on his trailer.

Pallet forks might great for one or maybe two logs, after that it's a shitshow, unless they are perfectly lined up, which these were not.  So he loaded up the Hickory and I used my grapple to load the rest.

His tractor loading the Hickory, you can just barely see his truck and trailer.

https://i.imgur.com/B6Zi9dr.jpg

Got the first load on board and off to his place (about a mile away) to unload it.  This is me prepositioning the 2nd load of logs.  You can see my house and shop in the background.  In front of the shop you can also see my still-unfinished Back 20 Deer Shooting House.  It's been temporarily renamed "The Outhouse" while we have people work on our house.

https://i.imgur.com/kdixcoj.jpg

2nd load done!

https://i.imgur.com/BTf046p.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dErHyX0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Rzarl7K.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I'm looking forward to having a grapple. Probably won't pick up much more than tree limbs but the l47's 2850lbs loader is gonna give me a lot of potential
This is the Hickory log I was referring to above.  If you look carefully, you can just barely see the lower "jaw" of the grapple under the log.  That was the highest I could lift that log, regardless of engine speed.  That's why my neighbor had to bring his +95 hp tractor to lift it high enough to load it onto his deck over trailer.

You're gonna love your grapple!

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Bushhogged the top of my hill today:

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Smart. I have thought about going with wet wraps but I’d have to get a better baler and a wrap machine.

I’m already balls deep into this little adventure and a big part of me wants to get out and lease the land.

The business of farming is a losing proposition from where I stand.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

That’s why we bought a silage bale wrapper.

Smart. I have thought about going with wet wraps but I’d have to get a better baler and a wrap machine.

I’m already balls deep into this little adventure and a big part of me wants to get out and lease the land.

The business of farming is a losing proposition from where I stand.

I think the Vermeer has a silage blade on the wrap roller. So it's done setup for wet or moist crops.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BPR:

Funny you mention that- I had the neighbor lined up to bale it this year. Between a really wet year, and his full time job covering him up, he only cut one field, and it got rained on.  Which leads me to mowing about 30 acres in about 10 different fields. Some of the fields are too steep to bale anyway- I think I figure it’s about 15 acres that could be baled.  

He did graze cattle on two of the fields in the late spring, but I’m mowing them this fall.  I have another plan for next year.
View Quote

@BPR

What is your plan for next year?
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:53:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Deuskid:

@BPR

What is your plan for next year?
View Quote

Finding a more reliable neighbor to bale it!  :)

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

I added a grapple to my JD earlier this year and, holy cow, has it been useful!  I've spent most of the summer removing brush from overgrown fields, downed trees, etc.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:36:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Orion_Shall_Rise] [#16]
Attachment Attached File
goAttachment Attached File

Improving food plot with my golden jubilee. Needs some rain now to seed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Spent 2-3 hours working a neighbor's 300 yard driveway plus put some rock in their shop.  

It's pretty fucking clear, I have no clue how to deal with a road and/or driveway that has an abundance of rock!!!!  

Complete opposite of what I'm used to.  Plus no softball and + rocks to deal with!  Whoever put that driveway in:  Well Done!!!

No pics, I was too busy, sue me!  
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#18]

I’m looking forward to having a grapple. Probably won’t pick up much more than tree limbs but the l47’s 2850lbs loader is gonna give me a lot of potential
View Quote

Unless there is snow on the ground my grapple pretty much stays on the tractor. I think twice I have had it off this year. One time to lift a pallet out of the truck with the pallet forks, and then last weekend because I blew a hydraulic hose on the grapple.
Great for tree work and brush clean up.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Technically not my tractor.......borrowed a neighbors to mow some grass

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Now I need my own tractor!
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:15:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SigOwner_P229] [#20]

You really need to be leasing that out as hay ground. That is some beautiful grass.
View Quote

Looks like Johnson Grass.

Johnson Grass is an invasive species that cows don't like to eat.

Not just today and no pics but I have my dad's Cat 420D backhoe (big one) with 4-way bucket on loan for a couple months. I've cleared a few acres that used to be pasture before previous owners let it grow up (fencing it to get a few cows), expanded and improved my shooting range, and will soon be installing some erosion control structures.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Doorman63:

Now I need my own tractor!
View Quote

yes, yes you do
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:

Looks like Johnson Grass.

Johnson Grass is an invasive species that cows don't like to eat.

View Quote
This has not been my experience.  Any cow I've ever come across has loved it.  I still keep it down with a rope wick in favor of my Tifton 85 bermuda.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Chadnutz:
This has not been my experience.  Any cow I've ever come across has loved it.  I still keep it down with a rope wick in favor of my Tifton 85 bermuda.
View Quote

I didn't say they won't eat it, they just prefer other forages over it in my experience. I think loved it is a stretch though.

Either way, it's invasive and quickly chokes out nearly all other species, spreads like wildfire, and is difficult to control. Not a good thing to have around.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#24]

I didn't say they won't eat it, they just prefer other forages over it in my experience. I think loved it is a stretch though.

Either way, it's invasive and quickly chokes out nearly all other species, spreads like wildfire, and is difficult to control. Not a good thing to have around.
View Quote

Until this field got away from me, I didn’t realize there was so much Johnson grass.  What’s the best way to keep it under control?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By BPR:

Until this field got away from me, I didn’t realize there was so much Johnson grass.  What’s the best way to keep it under control?
View Quote

#1 Don't EVER let it go to seed.

It's most undesirable trait (extremely fast growth) gives one distinct advantage to fighting it. Give it a bit to get taller than the rest of the vegetation then "wipe" it with roundup. Bc of it's root rhizome it will come back after the roundup treatment but if you keep beating it back repeatedly it will eventually succumb and die. You have to do it for a few years for it to work...
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Tearing down this cultipacker.  It never fails, no grease.  What a mess, got everything soaking in diesel until  the new hardware comes in.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Made a BX23F

Actually worked really well for moving brush piles.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
Please tell me you did not mow with that girl sitting on the fender!
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JohnnyP:
View Quote

We made a 100’ run and she was done. Too dusty for a princess!
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes

Damn near killed my best friend in HS doing that. He was riding on the fender while discing. Hit a bump and off he went. Went under both gangs of a 16 foot offset disc. Even after 20+ years as a street medic, that was the most blood I have ever seen and the person not die.  Multiple surgeries later he is alive. Scared for life, took more stitches than I can remember....  Only thing that saved him was the bump that knocked him of also lifted the second gang over him. We had just finished changing discs on that....
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#31]

We made a 100’ run and she was done. Too dusty for a princess!
View Quote

I could be mistaken but I think he is speaking more from the risk perspective. If you were to hit a large obstacle, large enough to jar the tractor, she could fall off, and you could take a second or 2 to recover and get it stopped. By that point it may be too late.

My dad fell off a tractor when younger and very, very narrowly escaped by diced up by the disc that was being pulled behind it.

Likewise, my brother was riding 4-wheeler through a field parallel to a roadway, hit a big hole he didn't see. He maintained control of things but his foot slipped off the peg so he averted his attention to that, and by the time he had corrected that problem he looked up to see a phone pole in front if him.

Things happen very quickly when you're dealing with mechanized machinery and something unexpected happens. There are lots of controls, moving parts, and reactions that have to happen quickly.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 1:15:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#32]

I could be mistaken but I think he is speaking more from the risk perspective. If you were to hit a large obstacle, large enough to jar the tractor, she could fall off, and you could take a second or 2 to recover and get it stopped. By that point it may be too late.

My dad fell off a tractor when younger and very, very narrowly escaped by diced up by the disc that was being pulled behind it.

Likewise, my brother was riding 4-wheeler through a field parallel to a roadway, hit a big hole he didn't see. He maintained control of things but his foot slipped off the peg so he averted his attention to that, and by the time he had corrected that problem he looked up to see a phone pole in front if him.

Things happen very quickly when you're dealing with mechanized machinery and something unexpected happens. There are lots of controls, moving parts, and reactions that have to happen quickly.
View All Quotes

We made a 100' run and she was done. Too dusty for a princess!

Happened locally here a while ago:

Grandfather driving his tractor - with the bushhog running - grandchild fell off.  Do the math.   and

A tractor is not a recreational vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 1:39:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Points all well taken gents.

Link Posted: 9/13/2020 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Points all well taken gents.

View Quote

In true "do as I say, not as I do" fashion, kids have no business being on open cab tractors. The risk is simply too high.

But if you're going to do it, mitigate risks. Never let them ride on the fender. I prefer to keep them on my laps with my arms around them. And try to only allow such things during less risky tractor work. I allow mine to ride when using the FEL to do landscape work etc where speeds are low, ground is smooth, and no implements are on the tractor, but once again, never on the fender.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#35]

In true "do as I say, not as I do" fashion, kids have no business being on open cab tractors. The risk is simply too high.

But if you're going to do it, mitigate risks. Never let them ride on the fender. I prefer to keep them on my laps with my arms around them. And try to only allow such things during less risky tractor work. I allow mine to ride when using the FEL to do landscape work etc where speeds are low, ground is smooth, and no implements are on the tractor, but once again, never on the fender.
View Quote

That^ or the backhoe seat is another “okay” spot for not doing what I do. Children, even the big ones, are attracted to machinery.  I’ve always found I have few close calls if they are in my lap than if they are running around and that’s after I trained them pretty hard and without mercy about equipment awareness.  “If it’s moving it may as well be chasing you so pay attention like it is.”
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 8:10:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buckshot4U] [#36]
When I was a kiddo (probably 8 years old on up) we used to ride on the tractor fender with grandpa and uncles all the time.  Sometimes if they were using my great uncles old Allis with the bigger flat fenders, there might have been two grandkids on each side.  It scares me to death thinking back on it now.  I kinda hate that my boys can't experience some of the fun that I had, but I don't want anybody to turn into a statistic.

ETA: I'm still guilty of short rides in level areas at low speeds with my older son on my lap, so don't anyone take my post as any kind of holier-than-thou stance.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:
When I was a kiddo (probably 8 years old on up) we used to ride on the tractor fender with grandpa and uncles all the time.  Sometimes if they were using my great uncles old Allis with the bigger flat fenders, there might have been two grandkids on each side.  It scares me to death thinking back on it now.  I kinda hate that my boys can't experience some of the fun that I had, but I don't want anybody to turn into a statistic.

ETA: I'm still guilty of short rides in level areas at low speeds with my older son on my lap, so don't anyone take my post as any kind of holier-than-thou stance.
View Quote

Same, kind of. Never sat on the fender exactly, but I'd stand kind of between the seat and the fender all the time as a kid.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 9:31:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#38]
Well crap!.  Got 3/4 done with a bushhogging job last Saturday when my tractor started getting a little hot, not all that unusual.  Pulled off onto a nice piece of shade and went to the open the hood.  I noticed coolant leaking out near the exhaust.  Crap!

Fortunately, I was pretty close to a water pipe hydrant, so go it there and started cooling down the radiator (plus it was plugged with all the seeds and debris).  Trailered it home and found a small split in the lower radiator hose.  Found the Kubota part  number and immediately ordered one (both top and bottom) off of Amazon.

This morning, I called every Kubota dealer within 45 miles, no can do.  The closest location is Ashville, AL, about 90 miles away.    If they order it, it's a week or more.  also:

I think I'm just gonna make a temp repair with RTV and duck tape so I can use it this afternoon to spread some new rock on my gravel road.

Fifteen years out of a lower radiator hose.  Is that about the right life span?  The part that split was about an inch or so from the exhaust pipe.  When I install the new hose, I plan to protect against the heat.

Pics later.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Well crap!.  Got 3/4 done with a bushhogging job last Saturday when my tractor started getting a little hot, not all that unusual.  Pulled off onto a nice piece of shade and went to the open the hood.  I noticed coolant leaking out near the exhaust.  Crap!

Fortunately, I was pretty close to a water pipe hydrant, so go it there and started cooling down the radiator (plus it was plugged with all the seeds and debris).  Trailered it home and found a small split in the lower radiator hose.  Found the Kubota part  number and immediately ordered one (both top and bottom) off of Amazon.

This morning, I called every Kubota dealer within 45 miles, no can do.  The closest location is Ashville, AL, about 90 miles away.    If they order it, it's a week or more.  also:

I think I'm just gonna make a temp repair with RTV and duck tape so I can use it this afternoon to spread some new rock on my gravel road.

Fifteen years out of a lower radiator hose.  Is that about the right life span?  The part that split was about an inch or so from the exhaust pipe.  When I install the new hose, I plan to protect against the heat.

Pics later.
View Quote

I use Messicks for parts, been very pleased and they ship it same or next day.

Which RTV? I have a workshop manual for the 1100, just pay shipping.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:16:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#40]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

Pics later.

Messicks/Kubota parts = $$$$.*  Besides, their site said they'd ship in "5-10 working days", yuck.  Amazon hoses are 1/4 the cost and have already shipped, be here Wed or Thursday.

"RTV" = gasket maker type stuff, not the Kubota RTV/UTV.  (I do have the 900 Work Site model though).  Cover the hose leak with it, then reinforce with duck tape.  Half install the radiator cap; should hold for light operations until the new radiator hose(s) come in; I ordered both the top and bottom.

* Talked to a dealer this morning about ordering a hose.  $46 for the bottom hose alone and won't be here until Thursday or Friday (I'd be paying shipping to their store, then have to drive to pick  it up   ).  The Amazon hoses were about $11 each.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By :

View Quote

@sea2summit

PM sent
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 6:12:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FZJ80] [#42]
Attachment Attached File

I bought an Oliver 3240 2 bottom plow.   I had a hard time finding a plow this size that wasn’t worn out, poorly stick welded, bent, etc.  My tractor pulls it just fine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 6:33:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flathead977] [#43]

Messicks/Kubota parts = $$$$.*  Besides, their site said they'd ship in "5-10 working days", yuck.  Amazon hoses are 1/4 the cost and have already shipped, be here Wed or Thursday.

"RTV" = gasket maker type stuff, not the Kubota RTV/UTV.  (I do have the 900 Work Site model though).  Cover the hose leak with it, then reinforce with duck tape.  Half install the radiator cap; should hold for light operations until the new radiator hose(s) come in; I ordered both the top and bottom.

* Talked to a dealer this morning about ordering a hose.  $46 for the bottom hose alone and won't be here until Thursday or Friday (I'd be paying shipping to their store, then have to drive to pick  it up   ).  The Amazon hoses were about $11 each.
View Quote

Take it off and go to your local parts place, they may have something that is close enough to work.  It may be worth a shot.

ETA. I missed the part about already shipped from Amazon.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:09:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deerranger] [#44]
Decided to build a "2 track" road today for our golf/utilities carts.

Dug out 3-6" for each track ,
Put in road bed paper,
Stone in each track,
Top soil, seed, roll and water.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The digging was done with my excavator
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:45:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#45]
Originally Posted By flathead977:

Take it off and go to your local parts place, they may have something that is close enough to work.  It may be worth a shot.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flathead977:

Yea, tried that too; had to take it back.  What looked like a great fit in the store - wasn't even close when I got it next to the tractor.  

Follow-up:  Parts came in yesterday; took longer to make this post than it did to replace both lower (leaking) and upper hoses.  No rain yesterday plus plenty of sunshine and wind today = finished the bushhogging of their fields I had been contracted for this afternoon.  $200 for the win!  ($20 if my wife is reading this).

I'll do their hill tomorrow after it dries out a bit more (@ $75/hour).  

Sorry no pics.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By NH_Patriot:
Rebuilt a retaining wall that was failing.  Bought a JD 1025R with Backhoe last week, dug out behind wall, leveled and restacked and backfilled with the gravel, geogrid and landscape fabric that the original contractor should have used.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52131/20200810_092045_1_-1544398.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52131/20200810_152638_1_-1544402.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52131/20200811_110012_1_-1544403.jpg
View Quote
If you don't mind me asking, I'm getting ready to replace a retaining wall similar to yours.
Do you use the geogrid between each row or just the bottom. I'm trying to do it right, the previous owner did a bad job and it washed out from the bottom. Thanks for the pictures, I'm not going to start until I know what I'm doing.
Dan
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:22:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: blackrifledan] [#47]

I finally got the tooth bar mounted on the bx2670.
This thing is awesome and surprisingly it back drags very level and smooth.
Dan
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Extended my gun range (the level part) out to 60 yds. Next week, to about 100.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By hoboninja:
Extended my gun range (the level part) out to 60 yds. Next week, to about 100.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298778/20200918_171903_jpg-1597121.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298778/20200918_171844_jpg-1597122.JPG
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Mowing
Page / 104
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top