BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mr_Psmith:
Finally tagscribing.

Is it too late in mid US latitudes to plant? My main concern is that the time in ground is so crazy long (compared to some other root veggies I might plant in fall and harvest in spring) that they will occupy valuable bed space that I can't place my spring plants in.

Anyway, if not too late, where should I order bulbs from?
View Quote
This time of year you should order garlic from anywhere that has some left in stock. Most places sell out pretty quickly in the fall.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey @C-4, you have a couple bulbs of hardneck you'd trade for a couple bulbs of 3rd gen NH Spanish Roja? I'd like to try another type that does well here in NH. Actually, these might be 4th gen.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
This time of year you should order garlic from anywhere that has some left in stock. Most places sell out pretty quickly in the fall.
View Quote

OK, Burpee has a ton.

What do you all recommend? I am slowly making my way thru prior 7 pages.

https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/garlic/
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 6:02:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JCoop] [#4]
Not sure what the climate is where you live, but I always grow hardneck varieties so I can harvest the scapes. Right now my go to is Spanish Roja. I bought it from Burpee a few years ago and have been replanting and harvesting since. It's been getting stronger in flavor and has been producing bigger cloves every year so far. Some people seem to have a hard time with this variety, but it's been great for me. Read reviews and just pick a couple and try them out. But don't take too long. Garlic does sell out pretty quickly in the fall.

ETA: Some of the other folks in this thread can give better advice about other varieties, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey @C-4, you have a couple bulbs of hardneck you'd trade for a couple bulbs of 3rd gen NH Spanish Roja? I'd like to try another type that does well here in NH. Actually, these might be 4th gen.
View Quote

@JCoop

I have some Music that was grown from bulbils but they are small.  IM sent.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:01:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#6]
Not sure what the climate is where you live, but I always grow hardneck varieties so I can harvest the scapes. Right now my go to is Spanish Roja. I bought it from Burpee a few years ago and have been replanting and harvesting since. It's been getting stronger in flavor and has been producing bigger cloves every year so far. Some people seem to have a hard time with this variety, but it's been great for me. Read reviews and just pick a couple and try them out. But don't take too long. Garlic does sell out pretty quickly in the fall.

ETA: Some of the other folks in this thread can give better advice about other varieties, I'm sure.
View Quote

@JCoop
@Mr_Psmith

As per above, it depends on weather.  In warmer climates where you are (presumably) down south, you should look at soft-neck garlic which traditionally does better in warmer areas, while hard-neck is better in the cold.  

IIRC, Elephant garlic is closer to soft-neck though my dad grows it in Canada.  I would definitely try that one out!
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 50-140:
I just picked, or rather unearthed my garlic today, I'm laying it out on a screen and headed to the crawlspace to cure.  
I ordered Chesnok Red, Music, and Georgia Crystal from Hood river Garlic in Oregon coming in a few months from now.
I'm not too disappointed for a first time of planting.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/103648/IMG_0247_JPG-1549190.jpg
View Quote

Those are monsters!
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Eagle_19er:
Oops I lied, it's a Georgian Crystal plant that had the double bulbil.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23126/IMG_20200814_115643893_MP_jpg-1546023.JPG
View Quote

@Eagle_19er

Cool double head!

I thought of it kind of late also and did observe something:  If you start seeing flowers then the bulbils have to be picked very quickly as the flowers die back quickly!  By the time I had time set aside, the flowers were in terrible shape.  Next year!

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:36:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#9]
I planted all my garlic today.  It’s waaaaaay late.  Well, I would have liked to get it in about 10 days ago, but I have been pulled in all directions so this is the best I could do.  I’ve got lots of pics that I will post.  My garlic bed has the best soil ever and it’s in the sunniest location on my property.  I watered it well and covered with 4+” of straw.  Two members sent me garlic and those were planted first, then some Music and Siberian garlic that both came from bulbils.  They are tiny cloves but healthy looking.  I gave away my best Walking onion starts/bulbs but had enough stringy ones left to plant two rows.  I’m very excited for spring.

ETA:  I will get pictures up within a few days.  Row #:

1. 8 X Walking onions (they are tiny)
2. 8 X Walking onions
3. 7 X Texas Mystery Garlic
4. 7 X Texas Mystery Garlic
5. 7 X Spanish Rojas
6. 7X Spanish Rojas
7. 10 X Music from bulbils
8. 10 X Music from bulbils
9. 10 X Siberian from bulbils
10. 10 X Siberian from bulbils
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Has anybody heard from @Eagle_19er ?

I misplaced his address and I owe him a box of seeds for the garlic he sent me. I PMed a while ago but haven't heard back.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By C-4:
I planted all my garlic today.  It’s waaaaaay late.  Well, I would have liked to get it in about 10 days ago, but I have been pulled in all directions so this is the best I could do.  I’ve got lots of pics that I will post.  My garlic bed has the best soil ever and it’s in the sunniest location on my property.  I watered it well and covered with 4+” of straw.  Two members sent me garlic and those were planted first, then some Music and Siberian garlic that both came from bulbils.  They are tiny cloves but healthy looking.  I gave away my best Walking onion starts/bulbs but had enough stringy ones left to plant two rows.  I’m very excited for spring.

2. 8 X Walking onions
5. 7 X Spanish Rojas
6. 7X Spanish Rojas
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#12]

2. 8 X Walking onions
5. 7 X Spanish Rojas
6. 7X Spanish Rojas
View Quote

Hope the Texas mystery works out for you! It’s been real good for us!

Thanks for the verity again!
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By NwG:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

2. 8 X Walking onions
5. 7 X Spanish Rojas
6. 7X Spanish Rojas

I was going to @ you and others when my pictures go up.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I planted all my garlic today.  It's waaaaaay late.  Well, I would have liked to get it in about 10 days ago, but I have been pulled in all directions so this is the best I could do.  I've got lots of pics that I will post.  My garlic bed has the best soil ever and it's in the sunniest location on my property.  I watered it well and covered with 4+" of straw.  Two members sent me garlic and those were planted first, then some Music and Siberian garlic that both came from bulbils.  They are tiny cloves but healthy looking.  I gave away my best Walking onion starts/bulbs but had enough stringy ones left to plant two rows.  I'm very excited for spring.

2. 8 X Walking onions
5. 7 X Spanish Rojas
6. 7X Spanish Rojas
View Quote
This is a good week to get it into the ground since the temperatures have rebounded so well.

I got your Music in the ground a day or two after I got the package. Very much looking forward to seeing how garlic from bulbils works out.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#15]
This is a good week to get it into the ground since the temperatures have rebounded so well.

I got your Music in the ground a day or two after I got the package. Very much looking forward to seeing how garlic from bulbils works out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I planted all my garlic today.  It's waaaaaay late.  Well, I would have liked to get it in about 10 days ago, but I have been pulled in all directions so this is the best I could do.  I've got lots of pics that I will post.  My garlic bed has the best soil ever and it's in the sunniest location on my property.  I watered it well and covered with 4+" of straw.  Two members sent me garlic and those were planted first, then some Music and Siberian garlic that both came from bulbils.  They are tiny cloves but healthy looking.  I gave away my best Walking onion starts/bulbs but had enough stringy ones left to plant two rows.  I'm very excited for spring.

2. 8 X Walking onions
5. 7 X Spanish Rojas
6. 7X Spanish Rojas

We really lucked out.  The weather being warm like this means the cloves will have time root properly.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
Has anybody heard from @Eagle_19er ?

I misplaced his address and I owe him a box of seeds for the garlic he sent me. I PMed a while ago but haven't heard back.
View Quote

@SigOwner_P229 I just PM'ed you. ---Was pretty busy last couple weeks.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#17]

We really lucked out.  The weather being warm like this means the cloves will have time root properly.
View Quote
Interesting thing about that is the new Spanish Roja I got sprouted immediately and was 6-8" tall in no time. The 4th generation stuff I planted took about 3 weeks to sprout at all and is only an inch high (still below the surface of the ground). Yours all sprouted readily. Maybe my 4th gen garlic has learned what's coming and doesn't want to stick it's head up until spring
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#18]

@SigOwner_P229 I just PM'ed you. ---Was pretty busy last couple weeks.
View Quote

I'm not seeing it. I wonder if the PM system is having issues again?
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:37:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eagle_19er] [#19]

I'm not seeing it. I wonder if the PM system is having issues again?
View Quote

Trying again in a moment.

ETA: Hmm, tried sending and not sure it went through. Selected "save copy to sent folder" and it's not there either.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Trying again in a moment.

ETA: Hmm, tried sending and not sure it went through. Selected "save copy to sent folder" and it's not there either.
View Quote

Nothing... I sent you an email through the system. Let me know if you got it.

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Planted Spanish roja and transylvania a few weeks ago, and the roja popped up early... wasn't expecting that.  Doing the organic no-till thing.  Bed was started April this year, added 3" of compost, biochar @ 10%, 1" skim of worm castings and kelp at around 1/4 cup every 4 square feet.

Once spring temperatures are steady around 60 degrees I'll start doing aact drenches.  We'll see how it goes, but for now I'm totally stoked

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Downtrodden:
Planted Spanish roja and transylvania a few weeks ago, and the roja popped up early... wasn't expecting that.  Doing the organic no-till thing.  Bed was started April this year, added 3" of compost, biochar @ 10%, 1" skim of worm castings and kelp at around 1/4 cup every 4 square feet.

Once spring temperatures are steady around 60 degrees I'll start doing aact drenches.  We'll see how it goes, but for now I'm totally stoked

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/485868/20201124_162248_jpg-1700774.JPG
View Quote
Looks great! Don't worry about it emerging this time of year. It'll die back and come roaring to life in the spring.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks great! Don't worry about it emerging this time of year. It'll die back and come roaring to life in the spring.
View Quote

Thanks!  First year planting garlic, so I have my fingers crossed.  Someone suggested I soak the seed cloves for about 6 hours in a kelp tea prior to planting, supposedly helps speed up rooting.  I don't really have any context to say if it worked or not, but I'm pleasantly surprised on how vigorous they are.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a dumb question.

When do you plant bulbils?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:06:26 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a dumb question.

When do you plant bulbils?
View Quote

@SigOwner_P229

I’ve done fall planting and I’ve also put it in the refrigerator over the winter and planted them in the spring.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Ive planted a second variety of garlic and I am looking at 200 bulbs for next year plus some wild garlic from teh yard that I decided to try.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
Ive planted a second variety of garlic and I am looking at 200 bulbs for next year plus some wild garlic from teh yard that I decided to try.
View Quote

@Cypher15

Please post pictures when you get a chance!  The wild garlic sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#29]

@Cypher15

Please post pictures when you get a chance!  The wild garlic sounds interesting.
View Quote
I second this request! In the last couple of years I've started learning about and foraging for Ramps. Wild garlic sounds like it would be a nice addition to the stable.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Late last year, I took some time to build a new bed on the south side of one of my buildings. It'll get sun through about noon when some shrubbery will shade it from the afternoon / evening sun. I know planting instructions call for full sun, but full sun in TX can be kinda scorchy. My neighbor had some in a bed in full sun, but I didn't get to talk to her about it before she died. We lost a ton of knowledge with her passing.

I'm starting with two varieties: German Red, Hardneck; and Transylvania, Softneck.

After planting on Nov 15, I watered them in well. And, they sprouted within about a week. I didn't have mulch on them, and some had over 6" of growth in what seemed like no time. I still don't have mulch on them, but I'm sure they survived the 24 hours of snow that we had. If not, it's a learning experience.

Since this is a pic thread, here are mine, including my little helper who is about 50# at this point.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:41:05 PM EDT
[#31]
That is one cute-ass puppy!

And the snow probably helped your garlic to sleep for a while.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:04:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By sgt_seti:
Late last year, I took some time to build a new bed on the south side of one of my buildings. It'll get sun through about noon when some shrubbery will shade it from the afternoon / evening sun. I know planting instructions call for full sun, but full sun in TX can be kinda scorchy. My neighbor had some in a bed in full sun, but I didn't get to talk to her about it before she died. We lost a ton of knowledge with her passing.

I'm starting with two varieties: German Red, Hardneck; and Transylvania, Softneck.

After planting on Nov 15, I watered them in well. And, they sprouted within about a week. I didn't have mulch on them, and some had over 6" of growth in what seemed like no time. I still don't have mulch on them, but I'm sure they survived the 24 hours of snow that we had. If not, it's a learning experience.

Since this is a pic thread, here are mine, including my little helper who is about 50# at this point.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22116/1_bed_garlic_jpg-1780735.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22116/2_garlic_cloves_jpg-1780736.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22116/3_little_helper_jpg-1780737.JPG
View Quote

@sgt_seti

Very cool.

Garlic is extremely cold hardy.  They will literally emerge next to snow here.  The only time I’ve had a problem is if it is warm in March and they emerge, then we get a cold snap hard frost and it did kill the tips which grew back again.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Just think, only 3 or so more months until the garlic comes up

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Just think, only 3 or so more months until the garlic comes up

View Quote

@JCoop

It has come up pretty early for me, so it will depend on when the ground thaws.  I’ve had garlic come up in one part of the garden while the other half is still covered in snow!
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#35]
It is certainly one of the earliest plants to come up in the spring.

I really posted to whine a little because it was 4 below zero last night and it sucks because there is nothing I can do, gardening-wise, until very large changes in the weather occur.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Attachment Attached File

Lost some tops in the freeze on one of my raised beds.

Shouldn’t be a problem, the rest looks happy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#38]

@JCoop
@Mr_Psmith

As per above, it depends on weather.  In warmer climates where you are (presumably) down south, you should look at soft-neck garlic which traditionally does better in warmer areas, while hard-neck is better in the cold.  

IIRC, Elephant garlic is closer to soft-neck though my dad grows it in Canada.  I would definitely try that one out!
View Quote
My Late Italian garlic has weathered our cold winter well here. No dead plants. And they got nailed with ice numerous times this year.  Hardy lil  bastards.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Good stuff, guys!  Keep up with the updates when you can.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#40]
It's been in the 50's and low 60's for a few days so I got curious and moved aside 4 or 5 inches of mulch and... my garlic is alive!

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#41]
It's been in the 50's and low 60's for a few days so I got curious and moved aside 4 or 5 inches of mulch and... my garlic is alive!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/143025/garlicSmall-1878512.jpg
View Quote

My tulips are up but garlic is still down except for some Siberian I had started a few years ago that I still had in the ground.  I will get pics when the rest come up.  I really hope the Texas Mystery Garlic comes up!
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I have several varieties that are poking out of the ground that spent the winter under mulch. Looking good so far.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

Lol. I’ve got some that are pushing 2’...
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I have several varieties that are poking out of the ground that spent the winter under mulch. Looking good so far.
View Quote

I looked through the straw and I have some coming up!
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#45]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84193/32F0E91C-46A8-44DC-B44C-B9CA98B0F792_jpe-1882355.JPG

Lol. I’ve got some that are pushing 2’...
View Quote

Texas seems to be awesome for both garlic and onions.  I don’t know what all the factors are but you guys have them!
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

Nom.. taco toppings.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#47]
My garlic is doing great! Here's a pic I took yesterday.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#48]
More TX garlic checking in.

Attachment Attached File

I think it was taken the same day my wife bought 2 bulbs for cooking. I pointed out that I hope it's the last garlic we ever have to buy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:10:20 PM EDT
[#49]
My garlic is doing great! Here's a pic I took yesterday.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/143025/snowyGarlic-1909309.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By sgt_seti:
More TX garlic checking in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22116/garlic_20210424_jpg-1923383.JPG

I think it was taken the same day my wife bought 2 bulbs for cooking. I pointed out that I hope it's the last garlic we ever have to buy.
View Quote

@NwG

I will get some pictures of my Texas Mystery Garlic up.  It’s doing well!  I think all the cloves made it except for one.  It got a little chilly up here!
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top