User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By C-4:

Holy cow, that’s a ton of garlic!

Yeah, I’m pretty humbled here.

I’m very late getting it into the ground.  I only managed the Music and Siberian bulbils that have now grown to about the size of medium-sized planting cloves.  It’s been very interesting watching these over the last 2+ years.  I have to go back into this thread to find out exact age.  I was doing it more for fun and curiosity.

I also bought two other varieties last minute I’m putting in the ground on Thursday.  I have this week off but I’m taking a course Mon/Tues/Wed (tomorrow last day).

That’s a lot of variety!

I will post pics of mine as well!

@Eagle_19er
View Quote
Not a ton...yet. Perhaps in a year or two I will have a (literal) ton of garlic.

I've already got a lot of local interest for scapes and bulbs for next summer. What doesn't grow to planting size will be sold.

You guys haven't had the ground freeze yet? That surprises me with this cold snap. Are you outside of it? We had a low of 5 degrees last night!

My 1st year bulbils didn't amount to much this year. Late planting and in a bed that doesn't get full sun were probably the issue there. I'm letting them overwinter in that bed and I'll transplant what survives in the spring.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Eagle_19er:
Not a ton...yet. Perhaps in a year or two I will have a (literal) ton of garlic.

I've already got a lot of local interest for scapes and bulbs for next summer. What doesn't grow to planting size will be sold.

You guys haven't had the ground freeze yet? That surprises me with this cold snap. Are you outside of it? We had a low of 5 degrees last night!

My 1st year bulbils didn't amount to much this year. Late planting and in a bed that doesn't get full sun were probably the issue there. I'm letting them overwinter in that bed and I'll transplant what survives in the spring.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Holy cow, that’s a ton of garlic!

Yeah, I’m pretty humbled here.

I’m very late getting it into the ground.  I only managed the Music and Siberian bulbils that have now grown to about the size of medium-sized planting cloves.  It’s been very interesting watching these over the last 2+ years.  I have to go back into this thread to find out exact age.  I was doing it more for fun and curiosity.

I also bought two other varieties last minute I’m putting in the ground on Thursday.  I have this week off but I’m taking a course Mon/Tues/Wed (tomorrow last day).

That’s a lot of variety!

I will post pics of mine as well!

@Eagle_19er

The top 1” is frozen.

I’ve been working on too many hobbies/projects.  I decided to keep my catfish outdoors this winter because they are simply too big and numerous to keep indoors at this point.  So I had to insulate the fish tanks and add a heater and I also add warm water as necessary.  I’ve actually been able to keep the water around 50F and I’m still feeding them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I planted my garlic on 11/26/2019.  I planted 45 Music, 45 Chesnok Red, and 45 German White.  I would like to find a fourth variety to plant next year.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 10:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#4]
Originally Posted By BigPumpkins:
I planted my garlic on 11/26/2019.  I planted 45 Music, 45 Chesnok Red, and 45 German White.  I would like to find a fourth variety to plant next year.
View Quote
@BigPumpkins

I’m sure @Eagle_19er would have some recommendations.

I would recommend Siberian.  For my area, they seemed to do the best after Music.  IIRC, Eagle_19er is the one that gave me the Siberian I have now, though I somehow managed to only have it in the form of bulbils that I have in their own bed and will likely transplant in the spring to space them apart more.

I am trying two new varieties because they had them at the store:

I’m also planting Music and German.  The Music will be in the form of cloves as well as bulbils.  The bulbils were harvested about 2 months ago and I’ve kept them refrigerated.  I should have harvested them back in July but never got around to it until later.

The Music and Siberian bulbils are from the fall of 2016 harvest and then they were kept in the refrigerator from 2016/2017 winter and then planted for the first time in the spring of 2017.  Going back in this thread, I posted this on 05/02/2018:

I planted some Music and Siberian garlic bulbils in the spring of 2017.

I had collected some bulbils from my Music and Siberian garlic, that I let flower, in the fall of 2016, kept them in the refrigerator over the winter of 2016/2017, then planted them last spring of 2017.

They grew during the spring and into the summer, literally the size of a 5” blade of grass, then they died back with the hot weather, as a normal garlic bulb would.
View Quote
So the Music “cloves” I got from bulbils planted in the spring of 2017 were re-planted now in the fall of 2019, which would make them 2 1/2 years old.  Some of them are large like this one:

Or a little smaller like these:

Some of them instead of being “clove” size with a single bulb, actually are clove size with several cloves in them.  I broke these apart and planted them separately.

I use a stick to make a 2” deep hole and then put the clove down and use the stick to measure out 6” between cloves and 10” between rows.  Normally I would do 12” between rows and 6” between cloves, but I was worried about space.  The distances were shortened even further to 4” between cloves that came from bulbils and 8” between rows.  Those bulbil-sourced cloves are Music since I didn’t harvest the Siberian.

This is a comparison of a bulb-derived clove at the bottom and then the two top ones are from 2 1/2 year old bulbils:

That last picture above says it all:  The bulbil-derived “cloves” for planting took 2 1/2 years from the time of planting or 3 years from the time they were harvested to produce “cloves” for planting that are approaching the size of cloves obtained from this year’s bulbs.  So it’s much faster to plant cloves from bulbs than to use bulbils.

However, bulbils don’t have soil disease and you can harvest dozens of them from each garlic flower so they are very economical!
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 1:02:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BigPumpkins:
View Quote
@C-4 's recommendation of Siberian is a good choice, usually a solid grower. If you want to try a hotter garlic that the other options you have you could always get your hands on some Georgian Fire or Metechi.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Dug up a row of the garlic that has been growing for at least the last 5 years as a perennial.

Still not sure what it is. Large single clove. Replanted the biggest 50 or so. See what happens.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NwG:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84193/21D09C93-9CED-4337-A845-937CFCA2017E_jpeg-1177767.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84193/6CBD6539-124B-4468-A165-72F7C89A9EE7_jpeg-1177768.JPG

Dug up a row of the garlic that has been growing for at least the last 5 years as a perennial.

Still not sure what it is. Large single clove. Replanted the biggest 50 or so. See what happens.
View Quote
@NwG

Where did you get them?  Is it a wild garlic?

Would you be willing to trade some next season?  Does your ground freeze or are you too far south?
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#8]

@NwG

Would you be willing to trade some next season?  Does your ground freeze or are you too far south?
View Quote
It’s not really wild, planted some time in the past by a previous owner. (Grows in rows)

Our ground doesn’t freeze and I’d be glad to send you some whenever. There are still a few existing rows with hundreds of bulbs.

It may be elephant garlic or could be some weird solo garlic.... it’s a mystery!
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 11:30:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: samiam513] [#9]
Attachment Attached File

I planted 36 cloves this year.  It's been in the ground about a month.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 11:45:30 PM EDT
[#10]

@C-4 's recommendation of Siberian is a good choice, usually a solid grower. If you want to try a hotter garlic that the other options you have you could always get your hands on some Georgian Fire or Metechi.
View Quote
I will look into the Siberian.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#11]
It’s not really wild, planted some time in the past by a previous owner. (Grows in rows)

Our ground doesn’t freeze and I’d be glad to send you some whenever. There are still a few existing rows with hundreds of bulbs.

It may be elephant garlic or could be some weird solo garlic.... it’s a mystery!
View All Quotes

@NwG

@NwG

Does it form cloves, or just a single, large bulb?  How does it reproduce?

We’ll IM for info and see if there’s something you’d like to trade for.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By samiam513:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/97802/AFA23F41-7F17-4791-A8D4-421966D382A9_jpeg-1178398.JPG

View Quote
@samiam513

Is the tubing irrigation?

Are you planning on putting in more soil or is there a reason to leave it low like that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#13]
@samiam513

Are you planning on putting in more soil or is there a reason to leave it low like that.
View All Quotes
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/97802/AFA23F41-7F17-4791-A8D4-421966D382A9_jpeg-1178398.JPG

@samiam513

@c-4 The tubing is actually a copper pipe trellis.  I grew pole bean plants in the bed last spring and I left the trellises in place.

I am adding more soil in the spring/summer.    This was the initial fill amount.  I'll probably put a yard of mushroom compost in each bed.  They could use more organic matter for sure.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#14]
@c-4 The tubing is actually a copper pipe trellis.  I grew pole bean plants in the bed last spring and I left the trellises in place.

I am adding more soil in the spring/summer.    This was the initial fill amount.  I'll probably put a yard of mushroom compost in each bed.  They could use more organic matter for sure.
View All Quotes

@samiam513

Yeah, I thought it looked weird for irrigation.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Some of my smelly babies.. garlic, onions and shallots.

Sorry northerners.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#16]

@NwG

View Quote
The ones I’ve pulled have been single large bulbs. Not sure if it’s a solo garlic or just the aftermath of not pulling the bulbs they planted and them regrowing year after year.

They do throw up scapes, so they could reproduce that way but they seem to grow kind of like shallots.

When the time comes, you are welcome to some!
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 12:18:12 AM EDT
[#17]
The ones I’ve pulled have been single large bulbs. Not sure if it’s a solo garlic or just the aftermath of not pulling the bulbs they planted and them regrowing year after year.

They do throw up scapes, so they could reproduce that way but they seem to grow kind of like shallots.

View All Quotes

@NwG

@NwG

Thank you!  Do you have Egyptian/Walking onions?  If not, I can trade those for that garlic.  It will have to wait until spring though.

Yeah, the ground is frozen here and has a good 8" of snow.

I do have an assortment of garlic cloves left from planting and was thinking of putting some in a long pot that someone gave me, keeping it in the garage over the winter and seeing how it does in the spring, in addition to the ones I have in the garden.

Also, I want to try producing garlic seeds.  Apparently, if you let the garlic plant flower and remove all the bulbils, the remaining flowers in between the bulbils will produce seeds.  There is one place I found that has seeds, but I would rather try producing my own.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#18]

@NwG

Thank you!  Do you have Egyptian/Walking onions?  If not, I can trade those for that garlic.  It will have to wait until spring though.

I do have an assortment of garlic cloves left from planting and was thinking of putting some in a long pot that someone gave me, keeping it in the garage over the winter and seeing how it does in the spring, in addition to the ones I have in the garden.

Also, I want to try producing garlic seeds.  Apparently, if you let the garlic plant flower and remove all the bulbils, the remaining flowers in between the bulbils will produce seeds.  There is one place I found that has seeds, but I would rather try producing my own.
View Quote
Definitely interested in trying that eventually. I've read the same but never remember to give it a shot when I have plants in the ground
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Definitely interested in trying that eventually. I've read the same but never remember to give it a shot when I have plants in the ground
View All Quotes

@NwG

We should definitely try it this year, though it may be with only a half-dozen flowers since it sounds time-consuming!
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#20]

We should definitely try it this year, though it may be with only a half-dozen flowers since it sounds time-consuming!
View Quote
If I have time I'll definitely give it a go. Remind me around scape time if you don't forget (like me)!
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 1:30:06 AM EDT
[#21]
If I have time I'll definitely give it a go. Remind me around scape time if you don't forget (like me)!
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 3/8/2020 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Update:  03/08/2020

My main garlic patch is covered in snow.

I was never able to move my Siberian garlic I had originally started with bulbils, and they are in an upper/raised garden exposed to sun next to the house.  So they are already coming up!

Lifting up the snow:

Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Very nice.  Spring is almost here ;-)
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Nothing close to coming up around here. Still under 6-8" of snow, althought last week that was 18-20" of snow.

Getting closer
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Update:  03/14/2020

Mid-winter, I had sprinkled some soil on the snow of my main garlic patch.  The dark color caused the snow above it to melt from the sun.  Still some snow underneath some of it and ground is still mostly frozen.  Some of the little signs are now visible.

Link Posted: 3/28/2020 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#26]
First garlic up as of 3/26 and earlier than I thought, but we've been mild and relatively warm and dry this winter.

Varieties that are first up are: Siberian, Romanian Red and Majestic.

I've noticed some onesie twosies of other varieties coming up but those three have almost the complete bed poking through straw.

Just about time to fertilize. With everything going on in the world I forgot to acquire Bloodmeal. Luckily it's in stock on Amazon and a 50LB bag will be here next week!

I'll try to get some pics up but it's gonna be rainy here all weekend.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Bump. Keep this thread alive.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Getting close to harvest here. Seen eating scapes for the last few weeks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

Question... I had one verity (not sure what) that “resprouted” and sent up a bunch of new stems from the clove. I pulled them. Small bulbs that sprouted..

What to do with them? Thinking of roasting or infusing  olive oil?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:57:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#30]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84193/EDF36700-9762-41D5-9F6E-9BFADF1F9E72_jpe-1373889.JPG

Question... I had one verity (not sure what) that “resprouted” and sent up a bunch of new stems from the clove. I pulled them. Small bulbs that sprouted..

What to do with them? Thinking of roasting or infusing  olive oil?
View Quote

@NwG

Those look like the flowers ie. scapes.  I usually pan-fry them in butter.  ETA:  OK, you’re already eating scapes.  It still looks like flowers.  I know softneck garlic sends flowers out closer to the bulb.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#31]

@NwG

Those look like the flowers ie. scapes.  I usually pan-fry them in butter.  ETA:  OK, you’re already eating scapes.  It still looks like flowers.  I know softneck garlic sends flowers out closer to the bulb.
View Quote

The bulbs I pulled had each clove sprouted like if you planted a whole bulb.

We roasted them, they were delicious!! Best part was the paper wasn’t dry so the whole bulb was edible.

I smell of garlic and sulphur farts and that’s ok!
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:55:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#32]

We roasted them, they were delicious!! Best part was the paper wasn’t dry so the whole bulb was edible.

View All Quotes

@NwG

@NwG
@Eagle_19er

Interesting.  Is this the mystery variety you wrote about previously that formed the multiple bulbs?  Can we trade some of that mystery garlic?

These are pictures from today.  Believe it or not, we got 1/4” of fresh snow overnight that melted over the course of the day.

This is the main patch.  I have some Music that I planted from store-bought cloves are the top, but there are several rows at the bottom of the picture that are from my own bulbils!  I will do more pictures and name the varieties.

Close-up of average size.

This is the Siberian garlic from bulbils that I didn’t have time to transplant in the fall.  Maybe I should transplant it now?  The bulbs would like get larger but I don’t have a lot of garden space for my other plants.  I may just leave them here.  Those are red tulips to the left and the rows of small seedlings are Cherry Belle and French Breakfast radishes I need to thin out tomorrow.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#33]

@NwG
@Eagle_19er

Interesting.  Is this the mystery variety you wrote about previously that formed the multiple bulbs?  Can we trade some of that mystery garlic?

These are pictures from today.  Believe it or not, we got 1/4” of fresh snow overnight that melted over the course of the day.

This is the main patch.  I have some Music that I planted from store-bought cloves are the top, but there are several rows at the bottom of the picture that are from my own bulbils!  I will do more pictures and name the varieties.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36246/D1CD8F83-9B58-4CD4-B857-AFAEE5A80272-1381628.jpg

Close-up of average size.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36246/1A554E8E-1850-40F8-8279-CEEDF1215D5F-1381629.jpg

This is the Siberian garlic from bulbils that I didn’t have time to transplant in the fall.  Maybe I should transplant it now?  The bulbs would like get larger but I don’t have a lot of garden space for my other plants.  I may just leave them here.  Those are red tulips to the left and the rows of small seedlings are Cherry Belle and French Breakfast radishes I need to thin out tomorrow.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36246/CBB559C9-6602-4E64-9927-5DB12EECA371-1381630.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36246/6C3BF298-AA60-43E6-9596-6AAF8E0EF67A-1381631.jpg
View Quote

Looking great!

They were not the mystery garlic, those are still growing normally and are a foot or so tall and throwing scapes.

These were some Portuguese verity I think, will have to look and see what I ordered. They all started doing it and I pulled the rest today. Only planted a pound of them.

Attachment Attached File

All the other garlic verities are going normally, I’ll send you some of whatever you like.

Mystery garlic bed on the right, Transylvanian bed on left
Attachment Attached File

Gray shallots in front and Silverskin garlic behind
Attachment Attached File

More shallots and onions.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:58:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NwG] [#34]
Attachment Attached File

Update on mystery garlics. They are some kind of hard neck, odd as they usually are not grown in the south.  Most heads are palm size and after roasting a few today, delicious on bread with a touch of salt!

Will keep them around!

Eta- they spread from little marble size bulbs on the roots.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By NwG:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84193/EAC5AE28-27E4-4E6F-B176-27713DB25675_jpe-1408606.JPG

Update on mystery garlics. They are some kind of hard neck, odd as they usually are not grown in the south.  Most heads are palm size and after roasting a few today, delicious on bread with a touch of salt! 

Will keep them around!

Eta- they spread from little marble size bulbs on the roots.
View Quote

@NwG

Can you save me some of the little bulbs?  If hard neck, they should grow well here!

I have some Egyptian Walking Onions I can trade, though it will have to wait until summer for the little bulbs to propagate them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#36]
How's everyone's garlic going? I finally got the mulch bug this year and all of my gardens, including the garlic, look the best ever.

Other than the deer eating almost all of my soybean plants last night, things are going great.

deer <-
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's my modest patch, I'm getting close to harvesting, it went in the ground last September, so I'm hoping it's gtg.  First time planting and I'm not sure when it's time to unearth.
Any advice will be welcome.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 50-140:
Here's my modest patch, I'm getting close to harvesting, it went in the ground last September, so I'm hoping it's gtg.  First time planting and I'm not sure when it's time to unearth.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/103648/IMG_0240_JPG-1513530.jpg
View Quote
@50-140

Those plants still look nice and green. You typically harvest when the leaves start turning brown. There are some good websites that have pics of ready-to-harvest garlic if you search for "when to harvest garlic".

I just pulled all of mine today as the leaves were really browning up.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
@50-140

Those plants still look nice and green. You typically harvest when the leaves start turning brown. There are some good websites that have pics of ready-to-harvest garlic if you search for "when to harvest garlic".

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JCoop:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/103648/IMG_0240_JPG-1513530.jpg
@50-140

+1

@50-140

You want to wait until about 1/2 of the bottom leaves are yellow/brown.  You still want the top leaves to be green.  Why?  Because those leaves continue all the way down to the bulb and form the "paper wrapping" around the bulb to keep the cloves together.  So you are waiting until the last minute when all growth of the bulb is done, but not so long that the outer wrapping of the bulb starts to degenerate.  If you don't harvest, the outer wrapper falls apart and it makes it very difficult to harvest as the cloves fall away as you try to pull it out of the ground.

Yours look just slightly early to harvest so you're right to wait just a little longer.  But you're almost there!

I will get pics up of mine soon!
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Thank you, I'll wait a bit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#41]
If anyone has a few extra heads of hardneck (preferably Music) they could spare I would be willing to pay a bit and reimburse shipping or trade garden seeds.

I grew garlic for years (Music, Chesnok Red, & Siberian) then a move coupled right after a deployment to the sandbox resulted in me losing my garlic and I've been in search of more since. The online "seed garlic" places charge like it's made of gold...
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:38:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eagle_19er] [#42]
I've harvested and cured my garlic. Now I'm cutting stalks and roots. Here are the best bulbs I've gotten so far from German Red and Music:

German Red (a rocambole variety) is prone to double bulbs. I didn't have many doubles this year but here's a picture with something I've never seen, a triple bulb! Also showing a large double bulb and a massive (definitely the biggest I harvested) 2.75" bulb.

Attachment Attached File

Here are a few of my jumbo Music bulbs. One is about 2.75" and the others are around 2.5" each. I have several more in the 2.5" range and a bunch in the 2"-2.5" range.

Attachment Attached File

More pics as I get through more of it!
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 11:55:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eagle_19er] [#43]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
If anyone has a few extra heads of hardneck (preferably Music) they could spare I would be willing to pay a bit and reimburse shipping or trade garden seeds.

I grew garlic for years (Music, Chesnok Red, & Siberian) then a move coupled right after a deployment to the sandbox resulted in me losing my garlic and I've been in search of more since. The online "seed garlic" places charge like it's made of gold...
View Quote

@SigOwner_P229 I have some Music. It's not the largest of the large as I'm reserving that for my replanting, but they are still a plantable size....I'm sure I have at least a handful in the 1.75" range.  Best bet is to plant the largest 2 cloves and eat the other 2 on "marginal" sized planting stock, or plant them all and maybe get a nice surprise!

Let me know if you want some. I'm sure it can be arranged.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I've harvested and cured my garlic. Now I'm cutting stalks and roots. Here are the best bulbs I've gotten so far from German Red and Music:

German Red (a rocambole variety) is prone to double bulbs. I didn't have many doubles this year but here's a picture with something I've never seen, a triple bulb! Also showing a large double bulb and a massive (definitely the biggest I harvested) 2.75" bulb.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23126/IMG_20200811_194212456_jpg-1543500.JPG

Here are a few of my jumbo Music bulbs. One is about 2.75" and the others are around 2.5" each. I have several more in the 2.5" range and a bunch in the 2"-2.5" range.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23126/IMG_20200811_222149835_jpg-1543507.JPG

More pics as I get through more of it!
View Quote

That's insane.  Mine are small this year, likely because they were rotated to the "lower" garden.  I have an upper one that is next to the house and behind the concrete block wall that gets more sun.  

I did not have a chance to try the seed garlic this year.  Too many projects!
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#45]

That's insane.  Mine are small this year, likely because they were rotated to the "lower" garden.  I have an upper one that is next to the house and behind the concrete block wall that gets more sun.  

I did not have a chance to try the seed garlic this year.  Too many projects!
View Quote

I forgot about the true seed thing until after I harvested oh well, There's always next year.

BTW, I did let bulbils form on a select number of plants this year. On one Chesnok Red plant, I got a double bulbil. Never seen that either! I'll snap a pic of it and post it up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Oops I lied, it's a Georgian Crystal plant that had the double bulbil.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 5:16:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#47]
I just picked, or rather unearthed my garlic today, I'm laying it out on a screen and headed to the crawlspace to cure.  
I ordered Chesnok Red, Music, and Georgia Crystal from Hood river Garlic in Oregon coming in a few months from now.
I'm not too disappointed for a first time of planting.

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Good looking garlic!
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#49]
I just picked, or rather unearthed my garlic today, I'm laying it out on a screen and headed to the crawlspace to cure.  
I ordered Chesnok Red, Music, and Georgia Crystal from Hood river Garlic in Oregon coming in a few months from now.
I'm not too disappointed for a first time of planting.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/103648/IMG_0247_JPG-1549190.jpg
View Quote

Those look GREAT! Wish I had a whole garden of those those year.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Finally tagscribing.

Is it too late in mid US latitudes to plant? My main concern is that the time in ground is so crazy long (compared to some other root veggies I might plant in fall and harvest in spring) that they will occupy valuable bed space that I can’t place my spring plants in.

Anyway, if not too late, where should I order bulbs from?
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top