Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
Awesome!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Awesome!

Thank you.  Also, thanks for making this safe from going into the archives.

Originally Posted By Drsalee:
Skills.

You guys got em.

A lot of plants were aborted, killed or maimed to get us to this point.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By samiam513:
You mean you don't have a garlic tattoo on your middle finger?  

Awesome harvest too!  Seems like if you started a garlic farm bulbettes would be the way to go in the beginning if you didn't have enough cloves for your property.  Looks like there are a ton on each flower.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-4:
snip
This is not my picture (all other pictures in this post are mine) but one of someone removing the bulbettes to allow for normal flower development.
http://i.imgur.com/I2A4EsV.jpg

snip

You mean you don't have a garlic tattoo on your middle finger?  

Awesome harvest too!  Seems like if you started a garlic farm bulbettes would be the way to go in the beginning if you didn't have enough cloves for your property.  Looks like there are a ton on each flower.

I did a google search and couldn't come up with a different picture to illustrate that.  Yeah, I think if you had more space and time, going with bulbettes would be a lot more cost efficient.  Oh, from my readings, using bulbettes is a good idea if you have a disease in the soil attacking the bulbs.  If you use cloves from those bulbs then you'll likely transplant the infection (fungus, etc) to the new soil location.  By using bulbettes, you avoid carrying over contaminated soil.  The same would apply to using seeds.  However, I have done neither.  I'm not done planting so I may plant some bulbettes just for fun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 1:15:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's the beginning of my first attempt.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/681569_Samiam_s_garden_thread.html&page=3#i11686695

Softneck garlics are from southern exposure seed exchange.  Italian,
Lorz Italian, and Inchelium Red.  Creoles are from Whistling Duck Farm.
Creole Red and Pescadero.

I used some of the smaller cloves of creole tonight in cooking.  To my surprise what appeared to be some of the smaller cloves ended up being 3-6 really small cloves bunched together .
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's the beginning of my first attempt.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/681569_Samiam_s_garden_thread.html&page=3#i11686695

Softneck garlics are from southern exposure seed exchange.  Italian, Lorz Italian, and Inchelium Red.  Creoles are from Whistling Duck Farm.  Creole Red and Pescadero.

I used some of the smaller cloves of creole tonight in cooking.  To my surprise what appeared to be some of the smaller cloves ended up being 3-6 really small cloves bunched together
View Quote

Definitely post pictures of your progress in this thread as well if you can.  I'm doing hardneck only because it's supposed to do better in cold weather but also because I do eat the scapes.

As far as the smaller cloves within a larger one, I have an example of a Korean Mountain bulb that was likely two separate cloves that weren't separated properly at planting time.  If you look at the bulbs on the right side of this picture below, the lowest bulb is a Korean Mountain that grew two small bulbs that seem fused.  You have to be careful separating the cloves to make sure you don't have two stuck together.  I only saw it happen with that one bulb out of 102 planted though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I put mine back in the ground last weekend. I have settled on Siberian, and Russian Red. I seem to get the biggest cloves and best storing ability from these two varieties. The Russian Red is by far the best storing variety. I sill have cloves from last fall in the pantry that are good. I've tried Music, Meetchi, Chesnook Red, and a few others I can't remember, and they all seemed to under perform in my garden.

This will be the 3rd year I'm planting saved cloves and have not bought any new ones so I'm curious to see how the yields will be. I was worried the bulbs would be smaller this year, but they still stayed fairly large.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Wipeout:
I put mine back in the ground last weekend. I have settled on Siberian, and Russian Red. I seem to get the biggest cloves and best storing ability from these two varieties. The Russian Red is by far the best storing variety. I sill have cloves from last fall in the pantry that are good. I've tried Music, Meetchi, Chesnook Red, and a few others I can't remember, and they all seemed to under perform in my garden.

This will be the 3rd year I'm planting saved cloves and have not bought any new ones so I'm curious to see how the yields will be. I was worried the bulbs would be smaller this year, but they still stayed fairly large.
View Quote

I'll have to take a look at Russian Red next year.  I seem to have good luck with Music and Siberian.  The Siberian was really nice this year.  I think we may have similar climate if yours does well.

My plan for next year is again to grow a second harvest.  I have a Hungarian Summer radish that is supposed to be planted mid-summer and harvested in the fall.  So it fits in perfectly with the mid-July harvest of the garlic.  I grew Yellow Beans this year but I'd like to rotate for next year.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:19:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#7]
This is what I meant by the double clove bulb.  It's circled in blue.  It looks like it was likely a double clove that developed into two separate bulbs.  Out of the ? 102 cloves I planted, only that one seems to be a double clove bulb.

Link Posted: 10/22/2015 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#8]

This is what I meant by the double clove bulb.  It's circled in blue.  It looks like it was likely a double clove that developed into two separate bulbs.  Out of the ? 102 cloves I planted, only that one seems to be a double clove bulb.

http://i.imgur.com/6JWdKdx.jpg?1
View Quote
That's pretty interesting.  I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.  

I made garlic bread the other night with some of the extra cloves.  Same way I always make garlic bread.  Only difference was the non-grocery garlic.  Wife kept commenting on how much better it was.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2015 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine hasn't popped up yet.  I'm stoked to get seeds from my grandparents plants they're friend has been growing for 40 years.  He saved seeds and kept them going when my grandma quit it 40 years ago.  My parents got some from the family friend who is now in his 90s.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:44:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: samiam513] [#10]
Found some more multi-cloves while making pickles.

Edit.  Can't seem to post the photos.  I'll upload later

Foot with wrapper

Foot no wrapper

Side.  Crack at the top is from me smashing it before I realised it was another multiple clove in 1 wrapper

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Found some more multi-cloves while making pickles.

Edit.  Can't seem to post the photos.  I'll upload later

Foot with wrapper

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsktvbm4l1.jpg

Foot no wrapper

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsi8ymt53d.jpg
Side.  Crack at the top is from me smashing it before I realised it was another multiple clove in 1 wrapper

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsn8dcc5zk.jpg
View Quote

I have a few cloves that "felt" like doubles but I didn't want to take the final wrapping off to find out and went ahead and planted them.  I planted this past Monday IIRC.  I put 73 in the ground.  I took pictures and I'll post them up of the bed.  Not much to see, really.  We got some nice rain so hopefully they put down some roots before the ground freezes.  I have some straw but haven't put that down yet.  We had a hard frost 2 nights ago but it's been above freezing since then and we have some temperatures into the low 60's this week.  It looks like I got them into the ground at a perfect time ie. we still have some warm enough weather for them to root out but we still get cold enough at night that they will not send up a stalk.  

The soil is from all the potted plants I had which was something like 36 of the 4 gallon pots.  It's excellent soil and I'm not worried about diseases as those pots had peppers, okra, etc and the disease don't usually affect garlic.  This should be the best soil I've ever had for the garlic.  I did change the location again to where I had it before this last season.  I did put some bone meal in between layers of good soil which should help with good root production.  We shall see.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:25:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: samiam513] [#12]
I think I might have planted a little too early

Did someone say doubles?  I left this one full size so all the doubles can be seen

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 12:33:48 AM EDT
[#14]

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_0640_zpsh1zg4eo0.jpg

Did someone say doubles?  I left this one full size so all the doubles can be seen
http://s284.photobucket.com/user/samiamgarden/media/IMG_0641_zpsowpvnt9u.jpghttp://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_0641_zpsowpvnt9u.jpg~original

View Quote

Cool!  Are those softneck varieties?
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 12:35:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

Finally got my garlic planted today. I was in WV most of October, so I just now got to it.

Probably around 90 cloves of Music and I planted the Tibetan seed stock I bought, probably 35-40 cloves of that.
View Quote

I looked over my garlic again.  The Music really did well in size.  I can see why some people only plant that variety.  My Siberian is really good as well.  I'll get pictures up of the bed with the straw on it within the next week.  I have Wednesday through Sunday off for deer hunting but will get a lot of stuff done around the house as well.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:43:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I did my garlic and planted some sunchokes and dressed and mulched my asparagus beds early oct, no pictures but I will try to get some come spring.

I also transplanted some walking onions from a old flower bed to the new beds closer to the house.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

http://s284.photobucket.com/user/samiamgarden/media/IMG_0641_zpsowpvnt9u.jpghttp://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_0641_zpsowpvnt9u.jpg~original

Soft necks.  Only caveat is I don't know if creole varieties are soft or hard neck.  They're described both ways depending on who you ask.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By marinesg1012:
I did my garlic and planted some sunchokes and dressed and mulched my asparagus beds early oct, no pictures but I will try to get some come spring.

I also transplanted some walking onions from a old flower bed to the new beds closer to the house.
View Quote

I didn't get my walking onions into the ground yet.  It's not too late, but they won't have time to put roots down.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Soft necks.  Only caveat is I don't know if creole varieties are soft or hard neck.  They're described both ways depending on who you ask.

View All Quotes

I don't know anything about creole garlic.  I read a little and they would not do well here as there simply isn't enough hot sunny weather.  Please post results next summer!

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:24:51 AM EDT
[#20]

I didn't get my walking onions into the ground yet.  It's not too late, but they won't have time to put roots down.

View All Quotes

We have the walking onions in an old flower bed from the previous owners, I made 4 rock wall raised beds in my front yard and am slowly moving the items to the front yard, we will see how they do grabbed from the old flower bed and moved to the new bed on a whim.

If you dont have chives planted I would suggest that, we had three plants and we have been splitting and moving them around to the various beds and now we have them every where, which is good becuase my kids graze them constantly when they are outside playing or walking from the van to the house.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#21]

I don't know anything about creole garlic.  I read a little and they would not do well here as there simply isn't enough hot sunny weather.  Please post results next summer!
View All Quotes

Hot sunny weather?  We don't have that here!  It is only going to be  77 today!

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Planted 64 cloves in my main patch, and 18 in the asparagus bed on 11/10/15.  The weather was too good to pass up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

I was just outside and it was 34F.  I haven't brought my catfish inside yet and had to put water in the aquaponics system.  Fortunately, the well water is at a balmy 52F. . Yes, I will update my aquaponics thread.  Lots of great info that I'll be posting.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:46:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#24]
Update 11/27/2015:  Garlic planted, pics up!

As I think I already posted, the garlic went into the ground about a month ago.  Temperature has been from the 20's to the 50's.  I'm sure it has put down good roots, but nothing coming out of the ground which is the way we want it, until spring of course.

I decided to you the good potting soil from the 4-gallon pots that were used to grow my peppers, okra, etc this season.  The soil is still in great shape.  I dug out the soil to maybe 6" and then mixed in some peat moss and bone meal.  It's good soil but needed more organics.  On top of that, I put the 6" of "used" potting soil.  

It's a rich, dark, organic soil.  This is probably the best soil I've had the garlic in!

I kept spacing the same:  2" deep, 6" between bulbs, 12" between rows:

Daytime photo.  The clam shells show where the rows are.  There are 11 rows with 6 to 8 plants each coming to a total of 73 garlic bulbs planted.  That's less than the ? 102 bulbs I planted last year for the July 2015 harvest.  I left some space at the end though I haven't figured out what I'll be planting there.  I may put Hungarian Summer radishes in there and let them go to see since the seeds I have now are a number of years old and I need some new seed stock.  If you plant these radishes in the cool early spring, they go to seed.  If you plant them in hot mid-summer weather then they grow nice big roots without going to seed.  The other side of the green stakes is going to be all cucumbers so my wife can pickle them!  I'll be putting some garlic in those jars as well.

List of varieties by row.  Each dot is a garlic bulb, 73 total.

I will plant the Walking onions in a different part of my garden.  I am going to cover with straw tomorrow.  We've had a few warm days and the soil is thawed, so the straw will help keep it from re-freezing for a while.

That's it for now.  Post pictures if you have them!

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#25]

We have the walking onions in an old flower bed from the previous owners, I made 4 rock wall raised beds in my front yard and am slowly moving the items to the front yard, we will see how they do grabbed from the old flower bed and moved to the new bed on a whim.

If you dont have chives planted I would suggest that, we had three plants and we have been splitting and moving them around to the various beds and now we have them every where, which is good becuase my kids graze them constantly when they are outside playing or walking from the van to the house.
View All Quotes

Oh yes, I have chives.  I love it chopped in a salad or on top of bakes potatoes (sweet or white!) sprinkled over sour cream!

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Awesome update, and thanks for the IM!

It'll be interesting to see how the amendments to your soil affect your garlic.

I'm interested in how you keep the bulbs from molding and rotting in those plastic bags. Do you leave them open for airflow?  Or what?

Kitties
View Quote

Oh no, I would never keep them bagged.  They were only in them for about a day.  I like to label the bags with the different varieties I'm going to plant and put the largest cloves in the bags.  It makes it easier to keep track of the varieties while planting.  They were in the bags for less than 24 hours.

I store the garlic either hanging or in a shallow cardboard box with no top in a dry area of the house.  As you're pointing out, they would get moldy if stored in plastic bags, even if they weren't sealed I'd be worried.  Mesh bags would be fine too just like you can get onions in the store.  I've done that as well and hung the mesh bags.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#28]
All the plants are peeking through the soil now.  It has been a while since this picture was taken.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#29]
All the plants are peeking through the soil now.  It has been a while since this picture was taken.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_0946_zpsouhbxnch.jpg
View Quote

I really appreciate having both northern half and southern half garlic pictures.  It's helpful for people that live in the different grow zones to know what to look for when growing garlic.  My ground froze again last night but I had a chance to put down some straw which you don't need to bother with.

Looks great!
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:56:51 PM EDT
[#30]
My Spanish Roja garlic has gotten the idea from this non-December-like weather to pop up already.  What to do?  I'm concerned about it now getting cold and that harming the garlic.  Will it regenerate or will I need to plant it over again?
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By Addicted2Fish:

My Spanish Roja garlic has gotten the idea from this non-December-like weather to pop up already.  What to do?  I'm concerned about it now getting cold and that harming the garlic.  Will it regenerate or will I need to plant it over again?
View Quote
I'll take a picture of mine after Noah parks the ark on the land next to me.    Its been wet and warm here.

I pulled back the soil around 1 plant to see what was going on under there, and it looked like a garlic clove with a foot of green growth on top.  Obviously the green is on top, but I am not sure if this will be a successful year or not.  I'm not replanting though, I know that.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#34]

Hey, give us pics of your stored garlic if you can.  Learning for all of us.
View All Quotes
Awesome update, and thanks for the IM!

It'll be interesting to see how the amendments to your soil affect your garlic.

I'm interested in how you keep the bulbs from molding and rotting in those plastic bags. Do you leave them open for airflow?  Or what?

Kitties

Oh no, I would never keep them bagged.  They were only in them for about a day.  I like to label the bags with the different varieties I'm going to plant and put the largest cloves in the bags.  It makes it easier to keep track of the varieties while planting.  They were in the bags for less than 24 hours.

I store the garlic either hanging or in a shallow cardboard box with no top in a dry area of the house.  As you're pointing out, they would get moldy if stored in plastic bags, even if they weren't sealed I'd be worried.  Mesh bags would be fine too just like you can get onions in the store.  I've done that as well and hung the mesh bags.

Hey, give us pics of your stored garlic if you can.  Learning for all of us.

Imgur was blocking AR15.com for a while so I'll upload and update soon.  Doing the same with my aquaponics thread.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Homemade Garlic Powder

There are many garlic powder videos on Youtube.  This is stupid easy.  You can use an electric food dehydrator or the oven.  I use an electric one my dad gave me he wasn't using.  Slice the garlic into thin pieces, maybe 3mm thick.  The thicker they are, the longer it may take, but the garlic seems to dry easily.

I put two layers down, Siberian garlic above Music Garlic.

The electric dehydrator has a heating element on the bottom.  The garlic should be dry enough that it is brittle and snaps easily.  After 24 hours, the garlic looks like this:

Most people use a coffee bean electric grinder to powder the dried garlic slices.

Screen it through a mesh, and re-grind the larger pieces with your next batch of dried garlic slices.

I had an empty bottle of Thyme that I cleaned out and put the garlic powder in it.

That's it.  Homemade garlic powder.  You don't have to rely on the ChiCom stuff in the store anymore.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:42:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Anti archives
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Garlic on the left.  It tasted like garlic too
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Are the other bulbs about the same size?  From the leaves, it looks like it could go longer.  Sometimes you get yellow leaf tips but it can be due to a few causes, and the plant isn't done growing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Are the other bulbs about the same size?  From the leaves, it looks like it could go longer.  Sometimes you get yellow leaf tips but it can be due to a few causes, and the plant isn't done growing.
View All Quotes

There were no bulbs.  Just a straight stalk.  I pulled it for learning purposes.

The brown leaves are freeze damage.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/681569_Samiam_s_garden_thread.html&page=5#i11717893

Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#41]
There were no bulbs.  Just a straight stalk.  I pulled it for learning purposes.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/681569_Samiam_s_garden_thread.html&page=5#i11717893

View All Quotes

Got it.  I'll take a look at your thread.  Are you sure that is frost damage?  

I noticed my garlic is up yesterday (03/16/2016) but likely came up a couple of days before that.  My tulips are also breaking the surface.  I'll get some pictures up!

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#43]
A fair bit of my garlic is up too, Spanish Roja.  Next time around I'll try more varieties, very much looking forward to scapes.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#45]

Nice!  Mine are only about 2 to 3" tall.  I think this year was the first time I've had the tips freeze.  It was only 3 out of 72 plants, but I was still surprised.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:39:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#47]

I've had mine freeze before, but it only really happened when I planted too early in the fall, combined with a late stretch of warm weather.

But we just got 3" of snow last night and it's in the 20's here right now.

View All Quotes

Nice!  Mine are only about 2 to 3" tall.  I think this year was the first time I've had the tips freeze.  It was only 3 out of 72 plants, but I was still surprised.

I've had mine freeze before, but it only really happened when I planted too early in the fall, combined with a late stretch of warm weather.

But we just got 3" of snow last night and it's in the 20's here right now.

<GROAN>  We're supposed to go down to 16F tonight, tomorrow night, and 18F on Tuesday night.

My 72 plants are between 3 to 4".  I did the only thing I could and re-covered them gently with straw, and then carefully lay tarps over top of them.  The tarps are dry and fairly light so I don't think they are squishing the plants.  I have never had to cover my spring garlic before, but I do not want to take any chances.  I think they'll do OK with temperatures down to 27F, which is still of course considered a frost, but 16F is ridiculously low and they needed to be covered.  Hopefully they survive.  I got pictures of the tarp-covered straw.  Everyone likes pictures.  I also promised some the other day.  I actually had taken most of the straw off so the garlic could grow up better and then I was going to re-lay it down between the rows.

Tonight

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#49]

I've had plenty of hard spring frosts with garlic over the years and they've always survived. The tops might not be pretty, but I've never had any die outright from it.
View Quote

Yeah, I just got worried about it last night.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:19:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: samiam513] [#50]

View All Quotes

I've had plenty of hard spring frosts with garlic over the years and they've always survived. The tops might not be pretty, but I've never had any die outright from it.

Are these record lows for being this late in the season?

I have a friend in VT who posted snow pics!  I was shocked.  Then I saw your post about temps!

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top