Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2010 3:53:55 AM EDT
the summer fruits are about to stop their heavy production due to cooler temps. Peppers are fine but the tomatoes and squash are slowing down quickly. Fall garden is in and should be sprouting soon though. Hunting season and cold weather is right around the corner. Nothing like a little homemade brandy-ish liquor to have to warm the belly after a hunt.

Sterilized jar and lid

three pounds of fruit, these are wild raspberries I had in the freezer(peaches are my favorite)

a touch over one pound of sugar

a 1.75 of cheap vodka

will let this set in a cool area with little light for two months. I will then smash the fruit and pour through some muslin to clean it up. At one month I'll give it a test to see if it needs more sugar. That is as easy as it is to make your own sipping liquor.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:09:06 AM EDT
Love this time of year but it is sad to say good buy to the summer garden . Just made muskedine jelly yesterday !
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:47:32 AM EDT
our fall garden is in and coming along well, the summer okra is still producing so we left it,.... time to finish drying and sorting the summer seeds for next year.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:48:12 AM EDT
My garden got burnt to a crisp a number of weeks back.
Just slowly dried up.
Okra is still doing a little bit.
Peppers are saying, "What hot weather?" They're doing just fine.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:30:21 AM EDT
I've got 5 green maters left on 3 vines..........the horror, the horror.

Planted brussel sprout, cabbage, cauliflower and broc transplants this week. Also threw out some turnip and lettuce seeds. Garlic should be here from Johnny's in a couple of weeks. Last planting of bush beans will be ready by the first week of October. Finally getting a little rain here this weekend.
Top Top