Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 147
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 12:44:43 AM EDT
[#1]
That PSU course is great.

This weather sucks but still moving forward.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 1:39:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By paulthepreacherman:
Penn State just offered a 3 credit hour course on beekeeping 101, for free!

Link here
View Quote

Thanks for posting that
Expecting some package bees tomorrow
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Introduced my girls to their new home Monday then the weather decided go back to being cold the next day.  So I mixed up some sugar syrup for them since it didn't look like they had a lot of honey.  Should I just pull it when there should not be anymore cool snaps, or just let them have it for a couple weeks even if it warms up during that time?
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By runs_with_scissors:
Introduced my girls to their new home Monday then the weather decided go back to being cold the next day.  So I mixed up some sugar syrup for them since it didn't look like they had a lot of honey.  Should I just pull it when there should not be anymore cool snaps, or just let them have it for a couple weeks even if it warms up during that time?
View Quote

Do They have anything in nature to get nectar from yet?
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Trees and clover are blooming and that's about it at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Oops. Found a hatched emergency queen cell and a torn queen cell in one of my hives. Lots of drone cells.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe bees showed up a couple days later than expected - arrived at the post office yesterday and had to go pick them up.   My dad orders four packages just a week before he died last March.  He was doing better his last couple days (he’d had COPD for a long time, and some medication he was put on really messed him up, and probably is what did him in.
We had one hive that made it through to January.   They had tons of honey in there yet.   Maybe moisture ?   I have the boxes leaning so condensation would go down the sides and not drip on them.   They had the boxes surrounded with foam insulation.  But looks like they died off in February.   Another hive didn’t have enough bees probably to make any heat.   To get through the late cold spikes.  
But it was nice out today, so I got four hives started again.    There wasn’t any candy in the queen capsule that I could  tell just a little piece of cork, got a couple pushed in too far.  Hopefully the bees had enough time to acclimate to them and don’t kill her.   They did mark the queens to I will know in a couple days when I check on them and put some more feed in the boxes.  The top chambers have several frames with honey from the hives last year.

This will be the first year I take care of the bees all on my own.   Before I  just built the boxes, and helped with the heavy lifting.  Amazing how much honey they made.  

I will put some pictures after I shrink them down a bit
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#9]
A question: Is there any reason I shouldn't put a new hive in a metal lean-to?

This is the lean-to; all the stuff in it has been cleared out, as it belonged to the former owner.

This photo looks north-northeast. There's a water ditch behind it. It's about 100 feet from my house.

The reason I want to do this is to prevent nosy neighbors from even knowing about my bees. The lot is 100' wide and there are neighbors on either side.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Its swarm season.  Today alone, local:

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:04:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#14]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:21:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CWO] [#15]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Decent swarm on that deck railing!

Hard to tell on the one in the tree.  

@CWO did you end up with two good bunches of bees?  

Did you see the queen in each one?  Or not?

I'm assuming you will requeen, but always interesting to see if I can find them in swarms.

View Quote

@Kitties-with-Sigs

I got the railing swarm.  I let someone else get the tree swarm (share the wealth).  It looks like a good swarm.

I don't re-queen unless I see a laying or aggressiveness problem.

I never see a queen.  All of my swarms have been heavy clusters of which I had no doubt that a queen was somewhere in the center.  I know some collectors comb through the mass - but I've never felt the need on a heavy cluster.  I see thin, somewhat light or spotty swarms reported but I leave those alone.  I always study the swarm a bit before collecting.  I'm trying to hurt as few bees as possible, definitely avoid where I think the queen might be and look to use gravity to drop the largest mass all at once.  Then I watch the box for 10-15 minutes to see if they are marching >IN< the box - suggesting the queen is in there.

I like using my swarm collection scraper tools.  I find rectangles a bit larger than the average swarm cluster attachment that a razor blade cut on a beveled edge to be most helpful.  I've even used them (carefully) on tree branch swarms.  I also use some leftover car tint removal scrapers (plastic).  A swarm wants to stay attached - so you have to figure out how to smoothly defeat 500 attachment bees quickly.

Swarms seem to more numerous and early this year.  I think the mild winter has something to do with that.  Everyone needs to watch their own hives with some care.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:59:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Kitties thanks planning on doing my first inspection either tomorrow or Saturday.  We were expecting and had extremely bad weather at the 1 week point so I left them alone.  Picked up a go pro to film everything so I can go back and look at everything. Been trying to get ahold of my local clubs president for a while now to find a mentor just not having much luck.  Going to try and get a picture hosting account going again so I can post what I've got going on.  They dont seem to mind me being around the hive or working by them.  So far they seem like a very gentle bunch like grandfather had when I was a kid until they crossed with something extremely aggressive which was about the same time the African bees swept through.  Used to be able to back a bush hog up right beside them and not even stir them up.  Mine don't mind my weedeater or mower at all.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:04:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#19]
Here are my hives from yesterday
Looked like they are all pretty active
Depending on the weather I will open them up this weekend to make sure they didn’t kill the queens.  They were painted so should be easy to find.  
Supposed to be lots of rain however

Attachment Attached File

No bees in the white one yet
Maybe will catch a swarm and move them in there
It was pretty windy a few days ago (again) so I put some old cinderblocks on top just in case, as there’s not much weight in the boxes yet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#20]
My bees looked good today in my opinion.  Found my queen shes smaller than I expected and a solid brownish red colored one.  Got my first sting also on my trigger finger, which might help with my trigger control when I practice for my next match which is hopefully next month.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:36:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#21]
I opened all four hives today and still have all four queens
So nice having her with the paint spot on her thorax.   I would’ve never found her otherwise
I had left two frames out in the top boxes, to put the queen box down in there plus some feed.   Three of four they made new comb hanging down from the excluder frame that I put under the top cover.  They were not too bad when I was in the boxes, so pretty calm bees compared to the ones we had last year - they were asshole bees, except for one we caught as a swarm - those were nice , but they didn’t make it through their second winter either.   Not enough of them I guess - a bear got into the box mid summer and he did a fair amount of damage.  It was not in the fenced in garden at the time.   The garden is fenced in with some old heavy duty cyclone fence, about 7’ tall.

So they were all building new comb, and making honey.  All in the top box.   They weren’t doing anything on the bottom one for the most part.   I didn’t go through all the bottom frames but didn’t look like there was much action not  was any brood yet.   Is it too early/soon for that?

Here is one of the queens.  Pretty much in the middle of the picture.  All four had blue dots on her

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#22]
They'll move down to the bottom box soon enough as the queens egg laying space is filled by honey.
If you like, you can switch boxes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Got 5 emails today noting reported swarms.  One was a guy saying that between two of his hives they cast 3 swarms.

He wanted someone to collect his 3 swarms and put them back in his hives  .
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:30:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:40:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:43:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:19:37 AM EDT
[#27]

How much you gonna charge for that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CWO:
Got 5 emails today noting reported swarms.  One was a guy saying that between two of his hives they cast 3 swarms.

He wanted someone to collect his 3 swarms and put them back in his hives  .

How much you gonna charge for that?

I think he assumes that people are going to show up and just put them back in the hive bodies.  (Of course which one goes in which hive could be a real problem   )  Of course they'd be gone soon after the sun comes up the next day.  I stayed out of it.  I don't think he was receptive to people telling him that they weren't going to re-hive his bees without taking one of the swarms.

One of those 3 masses doesn't have a queen.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 8:59:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#28]
We had some good weather this weekend and our snow is finally gone so it was time to go through the hives to see what our losses were and to do quick checks for queens. We had a great year and only lost about 5% out of 110 colonies.
Looking forward to a good year with queen production and honey!

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:20:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runs_with_scissors] [#29]
Finally got a photo host that's not a nightmare to use with the site.  The queen will be getting a fresh coat of paint the next time I do an inspection.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Some more sad news regarding Viruses
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Awesome photos!

That green is this year's color?  Or last year's?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:
We had some good weather this weekend and our snow is finally gone so it was time to go through the hives to see what our losses were and to do quick checks for queens. We had a great year and only lost about 5% out of 110 colonies.
Looking forward to a good year with queen production and honey!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294057/A7208451-AF5C-4CFE-8ECD-8766532D162E-1388294.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294057/C44FD56E-EF21-4067-BC3F-45C30E8965E3-1388297.png
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294057/222C0FA0-DE73-49A2-A5BD-7AAEEFE9723E-1388305.jpg

Awesome photos!

That green is this year's color?  Or last year's?

Last years. This years color is blue.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:21:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#34]

Pretty hives.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JQ66:
Here are my hives from yesterday
Looked like they are all pretty active
Depending on the weather I will open them up this weekend to make sure they didn’t kill the queens.  They were painted so should be easy to find.  
Supposed to be lots of rain however

No bees in the white one yet

Maybe will catch a swarm and move them in there
It was pretty windy a few days ago (again) so I put some old cinderblocks on top just in case, as there’s not much weight in the boxes yet.

Pretty hives.

Thanks.  After the first two I built and painted white, I saw some others, maybe on here that people painted up really nice.
So I started making them different colors.   I buy construction grade 1x12s, so there’s a fair number of knots.  The clear stuff is just too expensive.   I’ve found that applying some CA glue to the knots helps seal them up, and keeps them from seeping out sap and discoloring the paint.
Also, I have found that the Incra Box Joint jig is really great for making the joinery.   It’s not a cheap jig, but the thing really works great.  
* - I use mine with a table saw and stacked dado blade.   Should work on a router table top.  And when I bought mine, it was not that much, maybe $120.  Still not inexpensive, but not $220!

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/incra-ibox-jig-for-box-joints-model-incra-ibox

I also use stainless punch plate on the bottom.  No way mice are going to get through that.  I buy them a couple sheets at a time, as I need, on eBay - the seller cuts to the opening dimension plus a little overlap
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:30:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#35]
Just added a empty super to feed the bees syrup today.   Found three of the four queens.  The last one, my orange hive, I couldn’t find her.  There was a fair number of bees in there, but as the queens were painted should’ve been Fairly easy to locate.   I will look again in a couple days.  
Not seeing much sign of new brood so far.   But it hasn’t been much warm weather since they went in, and lots of rain.
Probably next to impossible to get a replacement at this stage for her.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:40:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#36]
Originally Posted By JQ66:
Just added a empty super to feed the bees syrup today.   Found three of the four queens.  The last one, my orange hive, I couldn’t find her.  There was a fair number of bees in there, but as the queens were painted should’ve been Fairly easy to locate.   I will look again in a couple days.   
Not seeing much sign of new brood so far.   But it hasn’t been much warm weather since they went in, and lots of rain.
Probably next to impossible to get a replacement at this stage for her.   

View Quote

The paint often comes off and you shouldn’t rely on it for finding queens. As long as you saw eggs, you know that you had a laying queen within the last 3 days.
Here are some photos of two of our queens from yesterday for reference. Red 2018 and Green 2019. Both of them have marks that are nearly gone.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#37]
This thread reminds me how badly I hate bees
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I caught 3 swarms in the last 2 days:

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:21:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Was playing around with the gopro trying to do time lapse and figure out how to get better video and photos.  Managed to catch a frame where the girls ran a hive beetle off.  Then I have a ton where they are carrying a lot of pollen.

While it's on my mind.  Is it ok to cut this excess section of comb down?  It ends up touching the next frame and knowing my luck I'll probably end up squashing the queen with it.  Even better question when can you change out frames as this one and another seem like they have seen better days.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Yes, you can year that off, and rotate frames out when they get too old. You can put new foundation in if you like.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#43]
As part of our IPM program, we try to rotate through our comb on a 3-5 year schedule.
If you replace 2 frames from each box annually, you will have rotated through all of the comb in your hive in 5 years.  This cuts down on pesticide residue in the hive as well as spores and disease. This is another reason why we keep our brood combs separate from our honey combs.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:
As part of our IPM program, we try to rotate through our comb on a 3-5 year schedule.
If you replace 2 frames from each box annually, you will have rotated through all of the comb in your hive in 5 years.  This cuts down on pesticide residue in the hive as well as spores and disease. This is another reason why we keep our brood combs separate from our honey combs.
View Quote

*likes this post*
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:07:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Neat idea with the gopro.
I have a couple, and mostly haven’t used them, as I just haven’t had or done anything exciting enough to shoot with them.
I may have to try that
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

How did they look once you had them in a new home?  Big enough to survive?

View Quote

The first swarm did perfect.  The second did too, but the third swarmed to another place in the yard, after I brought them home 20mi.  They eventually went on it the Nuc box, but It took an extra day.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#47]
My wife and daughter too this today.  I thought it was too cool not to shareAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

CE, a lot of old timers told me to keep my old "black" comb for hive traps and to entice new swarms to stay in new boxes.

What do you think about that, given the recent need for the pesticide and disease considerations you mentioned above?

View Quote

Dark/ old comb is one of the best things to attract swarms. We no longer collect swarms and forward all calls to friends as bringing them into our operation would be very risky. Care must be taken when introducing these colonies into your apiary as you are potentially exposing your bees to the many pests and diseases that may be present with a swarm.
Page / 147
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top