Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:06:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

FWIW, I'm not from up north, but I agree with this "local queens are better" 100 percent, even though I had some sub-par results from using local queens in the past.  The basic philosophy of it is something I believe in.    I was on the very front end of the queen-rearing trend, and I think there were issues that had to be worked out.   When I re-establish, I will be looking for good local queens, and I think it's worth it especially if I could get them in a nuc, already established.

However I also completely understand that the budget is the budget.  Keeping bees with a package queen is far better than not keeping bees at all.

How fast are you in the wood shop?  If you ordered, could you get a couple of deep boxes, top and bottom, together by the time they get here?
View Quote
Although I would like to agree with you, the breeder in me says otherwise. I would like to see people successfully keep bees and while doing so, increase the good genetics in their area. Package queens are generally inferior and pumped out quickly to meet demands. I know a breeder that produces queens for a large package supplier and he claims that they only check approximately 10% in a yard of 500 to see if they are mated. If so, they are all caged regardless. It’s a quantity over quality approach.
Small breeding operations generally have the highest quality stock in your area and have done all of the work in selecting for desirable traits/ characteristics. Those queens generally perform very well and produce drones that are more suitable for future mating. If your queens display good traits, her progeny (drone line) will increase those alleles in the drone congregation area which helps those surrounding you as well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#5]
It was finally dry and warm enough to do some inspections yesterday. Hopefully after next week, the weather will be good enough that I can set-up our cell builders and start grafting as we are already behind with queen production.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Tomorrow is package install day
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#8]

That's a lotta bees.

Are you increasing your apiary by that many hives?
View Quote
We are setting up a third mating yard about 5 miles away. These will all be broken down to populate mating nucs for two separate yards.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:00:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#9]
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Finally got some nice weather for a few hours today so I set-up two of our six cell builders. Tomorrow is our first grafts of the season. We graft on Tuesday’s, Thursday’s and Saturday’s which gives us approximately 200 cells each week until we shut down in late July/ early August.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Gotcha.

You are hoping for different genetic blends by moving the yard past the five-mile point?  (Just a guess. I have no idea.)
View Quote
Yes. My friend and mentor moved to North Carolina so I am carrying his line here. They are a Carniolan/ Italian mix and have preformed VERY well for a lot of people.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe a stupid question, but this all new to me and I’m getting conflicting opinions.......

My new hive is doing well it seems (package installed one month ago), but my hive is lopsided. The bees seem to be on one side of the box.......they have six frames that they are working overtime on, but the four frames on the other side of the hive have zero traffic.

Should I be manipulating the frames? Pulling one or two from the empty side and moving them over, pushing the colony closer to the middle?
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By fttam:
Maybe a stupid question, but this all new to me and I’m getting conflicting opinions.......

My new hive is doing well it seems (package installed one month ago), but my hive is lopsided. The bees seem to be on one side of the box.......they have six frames that they are working overtime on, but the four frames on the other side of the hive have zero traffic.

Should I be manipulating the frames? Pulling one or two from the empty side and moving them over, pushing the colony closer to the middle?
View Quote
Yes, I would manipulate the frames so that the brood frames are toward the middle, surrounded by pollen/ honey frames and foundation on the outside. You can also put a frame of foundation right outside of the brood frames as they will draw that very quickly to give the queen more room to lay. We often do this in our colonies to get them to draw more comb. Are you still feeding?
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:

Yes, I would manipulate the frames so that the brood frames are toward the middle, surrounded by pollen/ honey frames and foundation on the outside. You can also put a frame of foundation right outside of the brood frames as they will draw that very quickly to give the queen more room to lay. We often do this in our colonies to get them to draw more comb. Are you still feeding?
View Quote
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

I am still feeding. Should I not be?
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

I am still feeding. Should I not be?
View Quote
Keep feeding until they have their second brood box drawn out or they stop taking it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:

Keep feeding until they have their second brood box drawn out or they stop taking it.
View Quote
Awesome, thank you
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I moved the frames today, but the frames that they have built seem to have a really nice brood pattern. So far, so good.

I gotta get my electric fence going before the bears catch wind.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Our first round of queens are in their mating nucs.
Finally nice enough weather for mating flights...
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 7:48:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Just started this year.....1st package of Italians installed on April 22nd and 2 Northern raised NUCS installed a month later. All are on 10 frame deep 2nd brood boxes on now and going nuts lol. Have a 4 gallon top feeder on each hive and fill it up with about 2 gallons each of 1-1 about every other week. First time I saw the bees doing an orientation flight I thought they were being robbed . No sign of mites yet but going to treat with Apivar, and no sign of hive beetles here. Perfect looking frames and may even put a honey super on each but not harvest any for me so they can overwinter great. Nice and temperamental hives but I'm always going to use a bee suit and a little smoke.
It's addicting. Now I can smell the honey and wax scents when I get close to the hives. I'll sit down about 5 ft from the entrance with my fiancée and just watch the bees come and go. She sells at craft shows so hopefully next year I can sell some honey to offset the initial costs.
Been reading this forum for a while, thanks for all the great help!
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Crazycamper123:
Just started this year.....1st package of Italians installed on April 22nd and 2 Northern raised NUCS installed a month later. All are on 10 frame deep 2nd brood boxes on now and going nuts lol. Have a 4 gallon top feeder on each hive and fill it up with about 2 gallons each of 1-1 about every other week. First time I saw the bees doing an orientation flight I thought they were being robbed . No sign of mites yet but going to treat with Apivar, and no sign of hive beetles here. Perfect looking frames and may even put a honey super on each but not harvest any for me so they can overwinter great. Nice and temperamental hives but I'm always going to use a bee suit and a little smoke.
It's addicting. Now I can smell the honey and wax scents when I get close to the hives. I'll sit down about 5 ft from the entrance with my fiancée and just watch the bees come and go. She sells at craft shows so hopefully next year I can sell some honey to offset the initial costs.
Been reading this forum for a while, thanks for all the great help!
View Quote
One question, how are you monitoring for mites?
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#26]
@cuttingedge Do you have any queens for sale at the moment that can be shipped?
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By mr2143:
@cuttingedge Do you have any queens for sale at the moment that can be shipped?
View Quote
PM sent
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Powdered sugar test, numbers are very low right now so probably don't need to treat just yet. A few broods before fall for sure though
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine seem to be doing great, but for whatever reason will simply not draw comb on the outermost frames. They’ve moved up into a second brood box but I have no clue why the frames on the outside get no love.

Beyond that they seem good to go.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine seem to be doing great, but for whatever reason will simply not draw comb on the outermost frames. They’ve moved up into a second brood box but I have no clue why the frames on the outside get no love.

Beyond that they seem good to go.
View Quote
Move them inwards.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Wife and I just got our first harvest.   We pulled a total of 10 frames from 6 different hives.  Got 2.5 gallons of honey.

It was a good experience and went without any issues.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SSF556:
Wife and I just got our first harvest.   We pulled a total of 10 frames from 6 different hives.  Got 2.5 gallons of honey.

View Quote
That’s awesome.

How’d you recover the honey? Do you have an extractor?
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:45:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSF556] [#34]

That's awesome.

How'd you recover the honey? Do you have an extractor?
View Quote
We did it by hand.  Used a hot knife and a 5 gallon bucket with multiple filters.

Link Posted: 7/1/2019 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm back, hanging my head in shame. I lost both hives this spring.
I'm moving to Idaho, and it bothers me that I DON'T see a lot of honeybees. I do see some wasps and yellowjackets though.

I wonder if the dearth of bees is due to farmers spraying pesticides? Anyone in Idaho who can brief me on this? I'm moving to the middle of farm country, in Weiser.

I plan to build a couple of Langstroth hives this winter and have them ready for spring.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Congratulations!  

Best honey you will ever eat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Congratulations!  

Best honey you will ever eat.
See my pics above.  I love the smell more than the taste.   We got 3 gallons and filled up 47 jars of various sizes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#40]
We did it by hand.  Used a hot knife and a 5 gallon bucket with multiple filters.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-5wLthWb/0/d9f6b933/L/i-5wLthWb-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-xJ5NGPP/0/539b31b0/L/i-xJ5NGPP-L.jpg
View Quote
I second pictures of the kitchen. We’re building and yours appears to have a similar vibe to what we’re going for. Would be nice for some inspiration.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:12:17 AM EDT
[#41]
We’ll be doing our first extraction on Thursday if the weather holds. Hopefully I’ve done an adequate amount of research although it seems pretty self-explanatory.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 1:41:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 11:11:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#43]
And now for something a little different. For all  you DIY fans:
This guy has a SWEEET method for making the box joints!

At 0:02, directly under his left index finger, you can see a tab he's glued to the guide, which is responsible for the speed of his production.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
And now for something a little different. For all  you DIY fans:
This guy has a SWEEET method for making the box joints!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRL0Usxcwvg

At 0:02, directly under his left index finger, you can see a tab he's glued to the guide, which is responsible for the speed of his production.
View Quote
Finger joint jigs are not unusual. But his is in the way the table saw looks almost as if it's set up that way (like purpose built), instead of a custom cross-cut sled as most jigs are.

I use the cross-cut sled method. If anything, my joints are too tight. Nor does my dado blade cut that quickly, and it's not dull either.
cutting one by one does get old quick. There are gang-cutting methods out there, but I find keeping the boards aligned can be a pain, even with clamps and stuff. Someone markets a fancy jig for cutting several at once that takes care of that, but for $350 (IIRC), I'll cut them one by one.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Extracted a little over 7 gallons from 25 super frames. Great experience. I used a 600 then 400 micron filter and have heard that letting it sit a few days elminates a lot of the finer particles and air bubbles by letting it rise to the surface. Is 24 hours adequate for this?
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By mr2143:
Extracted a little over 7 gallons from 25 super frames. Great experience. I used a 600 then 400 micron filter and have heard that letting it sit a few days elminates a lot of the finer particles and air bubbles by letting it rise to the surface. Is 24 hours adequate for this?
View Quote
Honey is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. Don't leave containers open.
I only go 400 micron myself, strain it from excluder to filling bucket, then to bottles. This takes awhile, plenty of time for air bubbles to rise, and bottles get filled from bottom of bucket anyway.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Received city beekeeping permit #1 today.

Now if only the queens will finally take. Gave up on them raising their own, got to the point of laying workers. Dumped all the bees in both hives elsewhere in the yard, and got a couple of queens. Will check on them Saturday. Keeping the corks in, just in case.

3 of the other hives in another location are doing OK. One is uncertain right now, it had queen cells of unknown age last friday, and on Wednesday, one of the cells was chewed through the side, so hopefully they have a queen recently hatched. Also added 2 frames of brood, since I thought the numbers were a bit low.
At this point, if it looks like it doesn't have a queen, I'm just going to combine with the other young hive.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Very interested in how the requeening goes for you.

That dumping everybody out and letting them sort themselves into some kind of order....I like that approach, but never took it to that extreme.
View Quote
You probably know this, but the theory is that if eggs are being laid, the hive thinks it's queenright. Get rid of the laying workers (can be more than one),  and in theory they think they are queenless again. There were a couple of hours between dumping and introducing new queens, I'm not clear if that helps clear any pheromones that might be present.
so dumped the hives in other parts of the yard. The workers just crawl around for a day or 2, while the gatherers head back to the hive.
I had a frame of brood/larva from other hives added to each hive also.

I will check on the queens this afternoon and see whats up. I did not remove the cork over candy just in case.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:

You probably know this, but the theory is that if eggs are being laid, the hive thinks it's queenright. Get rid of the laying workers (can be more than one),  and in theory they think they are queenless again. There were a couple of hours between dumping and introducing new queens, I'm not clear if that helps clear any pheromones that might be present.
so dumped the hives in other parts of the yard. The workers just crawl around for a day or 2, while the gatherers head back to the hive.
I had a frame of brood/larva from other hives added to each hive also.

I will check on the queens this afternoon and see whats up. I did not remove the cork over candy just in case.
View Quote
We normally combine laying worker colonies with a queen right colony using the “newspaper combine” method. I have also shaken them out before. One thing that I experimented with last year was adding frames of brood (open and capped) and using queen cells in cell protectors. This seemed to work very well.
Page / 147
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top