User Panel

Page / 147
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:57:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#2]
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Northeast Ohio. Kinda bummed, but at least I have enough drawn comb I won’t worry about swarms this year.  Might even get some honey.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

The thing about pallets is all that flat surface for uglies to live on/wasps to build in/impossible to clean out, etc etc.

Why you using pallets now?

I mean, I'm still in concrete blocks, so not that I'm fancy, but pallets?

Edumacate me please?
View Quote

Silo Staves, They are what the old concrete silos were made of.  I put 2 of them under my hive and it is almost the same as having a concrete pad under each one.  They arre about 3' long and 16" wide.  We have a family business about 4 miles away that used to build and service them.  Last time I talked to one of the boys they told me that they are the last concrete silo business within 400 miles.  Sad, as the were well known family business several states wide.  One of the boys fell off of a silo and died.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I finally got around to handing out pollen patties the last 3 days.  Feels nice to be retired now and have the time to take care of the bees like I should.  Lost 2 hives by January when I added candy boards and found 2 more gone this week.  In all I am content with only 4 losses out of roughly 30 hives this winter.  A few more are existing with pretty small clusters but hopefully I will be able to get liquid feeders on in a week or so.

I stopped and looked at 3 hives that belong to one of my customers about 2 weeks ago.  The nuc I sold her was going strong and had almost a box of honey left.  The other 2 were not as well off.  She had placed the candy board above a brood box that didn't have much food in it and the bees wouldn't venture through the empty box.  I told her to get some syrup in their as the hive was starving.  She waited 2 weeks and ended up losing that hive. She lost her hives last winter and made the statement she is quitting if she loses these.  I am hoping they can hold on.

On a positive note Last weekend we spent the weekend in Kansas City with my son.  Met up with a customer from Nebraska and he bought a load of specialty hives for his business he is starting.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BustinCaps:
Northeast Ohio. Kinda bummed, but at least I have enough drawn comb I won’t worry about swarms this year.  Might even get some honey.
View Quote
I would get some samples and send them to the Beltsville Lab.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:40:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#9]
I might have lost all 8 hives.  Sucks.  2 remaining stayed in the hive today at 70 degrees, seem week. Just a couple frames of bees.  One was at least perky enough to fly out a few defenders.

The rest all seem to have suffered nosema and chronic paralysis.  Several are still alive with black hairless bees covered in poo.

The dead ones look like they suffered the same fate.

Really bummed, I had string hives with really solid mite treatment going into the winter. Yet it seems like my hives got burned by mites.

Plenty of stores, plenty of (dead) bees, no real sign of mites.  Is it possible my hives robbed out a disease bomb or bombs and brought this back during a past warm spell?
View Quote
Do you monitor your Mite loads? What were they like
in the fall? Also, when you say Nosema, how are your coming to that conclusion? Nosema Apis presents itself with symptoms such as fecal staining but Nosema Ceranae does not. As of a few years ago, Nosema Apis has become very rare and most colonies that test positive for Nosema have Ceranae.
The standard for many years was to treat with Fumadil and later Fumagilin B. Neither of which is effective against Nosema Ceranae and can actually make it worse. Fumagilin B was discontinued last year but my sources say that it has been purchased by a Canadian pharmaceutical company and will once again be available sometime later this season.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I might have lost all 8 hives.  Sucks.  2 remaining stayed in the hive today at 70 degrees, seem week. Just a couple frames of bees.  One was at least perky enough to fly out a few defenders.

The rest all seem to have suffered nosema and chronic paralysis.  Several are still alive with black hairless bees covered in poo.

The dead ones look like they suffered the same fate.

Really bummed, I had string hives with really solid mite treatment going into the winter. Yet it seems like my hives got burned by mites.

Plenty of stores, plenty of (dead) bees, no real sign of mites.  Is it possible my hives robbed out a disease bomb or bombs and brought this back during a past warm spell?
View Quote
Any capped brood? If so, do you see any tiny holes in them? That's a sign that mites chewed their way out of the cell when it was clear the bee was dead.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I inherited a hive from a friend. The bees just died a few weeks back potentially during a cold soel we had here during winter. When I tried to “autopsy” the hive, I noticed a few things. There was an overwhelming smell of vinegar which he had mixed with sugar to feed the bees. Also, the hives had tons of brown bee waste inside the boxes and on top of some frames. Since someone brought up nosema, that is a little concerning to me. Granted it was probably still too cold for them to take any cleansing flights, but there was no waste on the outside of the hive near the entrance. It was all inside. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mr2143:
I inherited a hive from a friend. The bees just died a few weeks back potentially during a cold soel we had here during winter. When I tried to "autopsy" the hive, I noticed a few things. There was an overwhelming smell of vinegar which he had mixed with sugar to feed the bees. Also, the hives had tons of brown bee waste inside the boxes and on top of some frames. Since someone brought up nosema, that is a little concerning to me. Granted it was probably still too cold for them to take any cleansing flights, but there was no waste on the outside of the hive near the entrance. It was all inside. Thoughts?
View Quote
The most common causes of death weeks ago is starvation, build-up of moisture or a weak hive due to varroa.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CWO:
The most common causes of death weeks ago is starvation, build-up of moisture or a weak hive due to varroa.
View Quote
Is it normal to see a bunch of stool in the hive though? He has a screened bottom board on it, and I really didn’t see more than a half dozen minutes when I looked. There was plenty of honey in the supers, and they were clustered in them as well. I think moisture is a strong possibility also.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Picking up my new packages on Friday!
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Is it normal to see a bunch of stool in the hive though? He has a screened bottom board on it, and I really didn’t see more than a half dozen minutes when I looked. There was plenty of honey in the supers, and they were clustered in them as well. I think moisture is a strong possibility also.
View Quote
That is not normal. It is indicative of something stressing the colony.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:36:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mr2143] [#17]
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:

That is not normal. It is indicative of something stressing the colony.
View Quote
I’m going to assume the colony failed from either poor ventilation or dysentery from the high vinegar content placed in the sugar. Just to be safe, if it was disease ridden, I’ve cleaned it as best I could and I’m having our local beekeepers association sterilize it so it will be safe to use.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I've used vinegar in the past to make my sugar cakes with no issues what-so-ever.  I would be leaning towards virus from mites...
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DUX4LIFE:
I've used vinegar in the past to make my sugar cakes with no issues what-so-ever.  I would be leaning towards virus from mites...
View Quote
Agreed. Vinegar has nothing to do with it. We use it all the time in our candy, sugar cakes and to acidify syrup.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Aaand I got a email from the city with their draft of the beekeeping ordinance. I made a couple of suggestions, but otherwise looks good. Won't be in place in time for newbies, but experienced keepers should be able to do some splits or swarms OK.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:20:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#21]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:26:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
Aaand I got a email from the city with their draft of the beekeeping ordinance. I made a couple of suggestions, but otherwise looks good. Won't be in place in time for newbies, but experienced keepers should be able to do some splits or swarms OK.
View Quote
A few thoughts since my county was drafting legislation 3 years ago:

Be careful with:

> Limitations on number of hives per acre fraction
> Limits on proximity to property line (connect w/above)
> Connection to other regulations (farming/Ag/livestock)
> Requirements for registration
> Inspection requirements
> Liability connections
> Zoning
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:33:53 AM EDT
[#23]

GREAT news!

What are the general parameters?
View Quote
2-6 hives depending on acreage-I'd have two max. 3' from property line min (but barriers for closer than 25' if the hive enterance faces the prop line), European bees only, water on property, no angry bees, etc. Pretty much standard stuff in local communities.

Only 2 things I suggested changes was a line that said barriers were not needed if the bottom of the hive was 6' or more above the ground. That just sounds silly unless it's for people with rooftop hives

Second thing forbid putting comb outside the apiary. I challenged this because it's common practice to put harvested frames out for bees to finish cleaning out, or to clean out comb that can't be harvested for whatever reason, or broken comb to be cleaned out if it's not harvested. It's not being disposed of, just cleaning out.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#24]

A few thoughts since my county was drafting legislation 3 years ago:

Be careful with:

> Limitations on number of hives per acre fraction
> Limits on proximity to property line (connect w/above)
> Connection to other regulations (farming/Ag/livestock)
> Requirements for registration
> Inspection requirements
> Liability connections
> Zoning
View Quote
The first two are reasonable as written, IMHO.

Nothing about ag/livestock.

No registration, but a permit would be needed like chickens.

No actual inspection requirements listed, but I imagine they'll do it to make sure of the property lines.

Nothing about liability.

No zoning concerns.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#25]

The first two are reasonable as written, IMHO.

Nothing about ag/livestock.

No registration, but a permit would be needed like chickens.

No actual inspection requirements listed, but I imagine they'll do it to make sure of the property lines.

Nothing about liability.

No zoning concerns.
View Quote
Permitting is a slippery slope.  Because the permitting terms/costs/limits can usually be changed without returning to committee vote.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:00:24 AM EDT
[#26]

2-6 hives depending on acreage-I'd have two max. 3' from property line min (but barriers for closer than 25' if the hive enterance faces the prop line), European bees only, water on property, no angry bees, etc. Pretty much standard stuff in local communities.

Only 2 things I suggested changes was a line that said barriers were not needed if the bottom of the hive was 6' or more above the ground. That just sounds silly unless it's for people with rooftop hives

Second thing forbid putting comb outside the apiary. I challenged this because it's common practice to put harvested frames out for bees to finish cleaning out, or to clean out comb that can't be harvested for whatever reason, or broken comb to be cleaned out if it's not harvested. It's not being disposed of, just cleaning out.
View Quote
The Euro bees only limitation is a very bad specification.  I would work hard to remove it - and I can't think of anything that is gained from it.  I can't imagine who is advising them on that.

US DoA scientists are working on mite and disease-resistant strains.  Once released to the trade - you would not be able to keep them and address the biggest problems in beekeeping.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#27]

The Euro bees only limitation is a very bad specification.  I would work hard to remove it - and I can't think of anything that is gained from it.  I can't imagine who is advising them on that.

US DoA scientists are working on mite and disease-resistant strains.  Once released to the trade - you would not be able to keep them and address the biggest problems in beekeeping.
View Quote
Frankly, I think ignorance on their part will keep them from doing anything about it. It's a small city of 12K, and I seriously doubt anyone in the government is going to take the time to spec any bee breeds. Heck, I bet they'd be happy to let local beekeepers take up the inspection reins on a voluntary basis, and the inspections will be only for the startup, or for complaints. As the one driving for this ordinance, I suspect I'd be the first volunteer.
In other words, they make the accusation, let them prove it.

Or do you think they actually mean bees from Europe? no, it doesn't. It just means the strain.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:22:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Permitting is a slippery slope.  Because the permitting terms/costs/limits can usually be changed without returning to committee vote.
View Quote
The permits and cost are set by the city council. The limits are spelled out in the ordinance. If they want to change it, it'll have to go to committees and shit. I've been fighting for this for almost 2 years now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:48:12 AM EDT
[#29]

It just means the strain.
View Quote
I assumed that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#30]
What's probably the best part, there is no mention of requiring notice of neighbors within 200 yards of proposed hives.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:29:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DUX4LIFE] [#31]
I prefer no ordinances as they usually get turned around in the future to bite you in the ass.  Much like an HOA. But, if they are bound and determined to make an ordinance it is best to have some input.  My input would be to keep it as short and basic as possible.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I prefer no ordinances as they usually get turned around in the future to bite you in the ass.  Much like an HOA. But, if they are bound and determined to make an ordinance it is best to have some input.  My input would be to keep it as short and basic as possible.
View Quote
Lots of communities specifically prohibit beekeeping as a part of banning "farm animals" in city limits.
Chicken people made major inroads on this.

This city, it USED to be legal decades ago to keep bees, simply because it wasn't forbidden. Then sometime, codes were rewritten make them more uniform or something, and stuff like that gets in.
Happened to lots of communities.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, down with the permit.

What is the city providing you for this "tax"?

Is animal control going to come out and corral your bees if they get out?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:12:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I agree that this is not a fight I would pick.

They are scared of Africanized bees, and feel the need (as politicians) to put something in there to guard against killer bees killing the neighborhood children and pets.

There are more important fights to pick and you are choosing those for your area.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Frankly, I think ignorance on their part will keep them from doing anything about it. It's a small city of 12K, and I seriously doubt anyone in the government is going to take the time to spec any bee breeds. Heck, I bet they'd be happy to let local beekeepers take up the inspection reins on a voluntary basis, and the inspections will be only for the startup, or for complaints. As the one driving for this ordinance, I suspect I'd be the first volunteer.
In other words, they make the accusation, let them prove it.

Or do you think they actually mean bees from Europe? no, it doesn't. It just means the strain.
I agree that this is not a fight I would pick.

They are scared of Africanized bees, and feel the need (as politicians) to put something in there to guard against killer bees killing the neighborhood children and pets.

There are more important fights to pick and you are choosing those for your area.  
I'll respectfully offer another perspective:

There are no Africanized honeybees in Wisconsin.  Africanized honeybees cannot live anywhere near that area.  I personally think that its not useful to convince legislators that they are doing something to prevent a honeybee risk/outcome that has zero chance of occurring.  It also helps feed the belief that more honeybee legislation equals a safer community - which is untrue.

It doesn't need to be a fight.  The is a strong body of respected, peer-reviewed science that proves that AHB cannot exist above a certain latitude.

Bad legislation begets more bad legislation in the same vein.... all the while legislators believe that they are doing something - when in fact they are doing nothing.  Advising legislators behind the scenes during the rulemaking process helps keep mistaken beliefs in check.  In recent county rulemaking we found that quiet, behind the scenes consultation minimized over-reaction to problems that are more perception than fact.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 10:12:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#37]
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Beekeeping Naked (Note: minor nudity)
View Quote
I've got one hive that's been abnormally aggressive the last 4 - 5 weeks. I actually took a minor hit on my leg from a sting that went though my bluejeans, through the cotton pocket, and though the leg of my boxers. It wasn't a full sting, but it was enough to make a red spot and itch for a few days. I spent $35 for beekeeping pants after that one, at least till they calm down or get requeened.

No way I'd put the twig and berries out there. Karma is a b!tch and she should not be tempted.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:08:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#39]
Finally got to check all of the hives today after this long cold winter and take some counts. We had 100% success with our single deep hives, >90% of our nucs have made it, all but one of the double deeps made it and all of our breeder queen colonies are doing great. Total loss this winter is less than 10%.

Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Finally got to check all of the hives today after this long cold winter and take some counts. We had 100% success with our single deep hives, >90% of our nucs have made it, all but one of the double deeps made it and all of our breeder queen colonies are doing great. Total loss this winter is less than 10%.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294057/C3D9E3B6-135F-4B1A-A19D-D012A0664102-896751.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294057/B21FFC49-0A83-4CFA-ADE7-56779553B16D-896752.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294057/6893C38D-A034-48AE-B354-5E1ED3214BB9-896755.jpg
View Quote
That’s great news! What’s your method for overwintering nucs?
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294057/C3D9E3B6-135F-4B1A-A19D-D012A0664102-896751.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294057/B21FFC49-0A83-4CFA-ADE7-56779553B16D-896752.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294057/6893C38D-A034-48AE-B354-5E1ED3214BB9-896755.jpg
Most important is to have Mite levels down, have large/ strong colonies for whatever size box they occupy and have them well provisioned with stores for the winter.
Other things that contribute to our success:
1. Having great queens bred specifically for winter survival
2. Proper ventilation
3. Insulation
If you have all of that, chances are very good that they will survive your winters.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
I am hoping to enjoy this type of success next spring.  I am content with the numbers I ended up with(15% loss).
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#43]

I am hoping to enjoy this type of success next spring.  I am content with the numbers I ended up with(15% loss).
View Quote
I would be happy with a 15% loss every year. I was talking with our State Apiarist the other day and she said that this year, it appears that we are at higher losses state wide than last year. Last year was somewhere around 46%
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:23:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DUX4LIFE] [#44]

I would be happy with a 15% loss every year. I was talking with our State Apiarist the other day and she said that this year, it appears that we are at higher losses state wide than last year. Last year was somewhere around 46%
View Quote
Yeah but I didn't do a great job taking care of them so I am happy.  At least this year we are on track. Retirement is great.

Signed up for a 2 day queen rearing class.  It is hosted in southern Illinois by 2 ladies that specialize in Bee insemination.

All hives got a pollen patty a few weeks back and 3 gallons of syrup this week.

Putting my Nycot box in a new frame this week.  I don't know what I was thinking using a medium frame.

Built a syrup pumping system this week for cheap.  Seems to work well after all of the kinks are worked out.

Also working on a down-flo OAV that treats through the inner cover.  Hopefully it is as efficient as the other style but quicker and less harmful to any nearby bees.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't know our local numbers, but quite a few in my bee groups have had losses, whether mites or the polar vortex that were higher than usual.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote
That's great news! Congrats on your efforts. You're right: going into winter with low mites counts is crucial.

Our spring here has been chilly. I've been feeding fondant for the past several weeks. Yesterday was the first day I saw any real nectar in my hives.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#47]
It’s that time of year again in Virginia. 2 new packages, 3 colonies, and I’m building hives.  This is how my daughter is helping me:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#50]

That is WAY COOL!

View Quote
Thanks!
Page / 147
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top