Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 147
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By paulthepreacherman:
What’s the danger of feeding honey to my bees?

I thought about picking up some cheap honey at the discount grocery store and open the jar, and set it in the hive.  Thoughts?
View Quote
I would not. That is a good way to spread disease.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Next page
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 12:41:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Busy weekend. Pulled my 3 supers, 2 were full, one was empty. They just never built it out. Pulled two deep frames out of the empty super hive just because there are no free lunches. Not too much on those though.

Ended up with 55lbs of honey. Just under 5 gallons. Good stuff. Got half of it bottled.

As I was going through the freeloading hive, they had a ton of brood in there ( double deep hive). Im thinking about a late season split. Wont freeze till late November maybe early December. I put a 4 gallon top feeder on it today. Only problem is I cant get a queen from my regular guy for 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m glad a made two (nuc) splits off one of my hives, because even after two splits, that hive is looking to hit 180-200lbs honey.  Unbelievable.  Naturally mated queen.

I think I’ll be finishing the year with 400 pounds or more!

I currently have 9 10 frame hives and two double decker nucs with fat queens.  I’m going to try to overwinter the nucs Mike Palmer style.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Just added the 2nd honey super to the better hive today, it was full!

Attachment Attached File

Other hive, that swarmed and was requeened a while back is still working on it's first super.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BustinCaps:
I’m glad a made two (nuc) splits off one of my hives, because even after two splits, that hive is looking to hit 180-200lbs honey.  Unbelievable.  Naturally mated queen.

I currently have 9 10 frame hives and two double decker nucs with fat queens.  I’m going to try to overwinter the nucs Mike Palmer style.
View Quote
We run about 30 of the Palmer style nucs. Our success rate is much higher with Nucs overwintering than full size hives. Good luck, I think you will like them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:
We run about 30 of the Palmer style nucs. Our success rate is much higher with Nucs overwintering than full size hives. Good luck, I think you will like them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Awesome!  I really like a lot of palmers stuff.  He seems to have mastered efficiency and productivity.  I’d really like to make a living off this one day.  Buying packages and tons of queens all the time isn’t going to cut it!
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 3:14:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#8]
Treatment Free Beekeeping.(From the Palmer Beekeeping web site)

The answer is simply a philosophy that goes something like this ~ any time you treat your hive for any kind of pest or disease you are selecting for bees that cannot take care of that pest or disease without your help. By continuing on the path of using treatments you end up breeding stronger pests and diseases resistant to treatments, instead of breeding better bees resistant to pests and disease.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:52:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#9]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
Treatment Free Beekeeping.(From the Palmer Beekeeping web site)
View Quote
While I somewhat agree with some of those statements, I cannot afford to lose all of my bees so I continue to treat as needed and am constantly testing my bees so that I can produce better quality queens. Around here there are two kinds of beekeepers, those that treat their bees and those that replace them every year. I fall into the first category.
BTW: Mike Palmer treats all of his colonies when necessary. I don’t know why you posted that stating that it’s from Palmers website?
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#10]
BTW: Mike Palmer treats all of his colonies when necessary. I don’t know why you posted that stating that it’s from Palmers website?
View Quote
You're right. I reached it from the Palmer site, thinking it was an internal link.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 6:20:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I’ve turned people away from treatment free this year. (Their first year).

Treatment free is a great concept, worth striving for.  It is also a very advanced concept that requires knowledge of breeding, good record keeping, etc.

Anyone who grabs a couple packages of Italians and declares that they are going the hippy route, is going to bee a package customer for life.

Palmer loves treatment free, but it is a goal to work toward as a part of a self sustainable apiary.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve turned people away from treatment free this year. (Their first year).

Treatment free is a great concept, worth striving for.  It is also a very advanced concept that requires knowledge of breeding, good record keeping, etc.

Anyone who grabs a couple packages of Italians and declares that they are going the hippy route, is going to bee a package customer for life.

Palmer loves treatment free, but it is a goal to work toward as a part of a self sustainable apiary.
View Quote
Thank you all for the clarification!
I'm going to perform a mite count tomorrow or Saturday, time and weather permitting. I've recently gotten a Varroa Easy Check, which unfortunately kills the subject bees, but (they say) provides a more accurate count of varroa mites.

Good news: We have had a few rainstorms in the last week. One of them actually hit my house! So the long-promised monsoon season* is upon us! This will mean new growth, especially in the tiny flowers that carpet the desert and are so easy to miss. I mention this because Kitties was interested in the differences with high desert beekeeping.

*The weather scientists say that the La Nina weather patterns are weakening, allowing a more moist monsoon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

That is very well said.

We all want that.

We will reach for it, while doing what we have to do to keep our bees alive.

Kitties, back from the abyss, and hoping to stay above the water from here on out.

Thank you so much, CE, Bustin Caps, Frank, and all the other beekeepers who've responded in my absence.  If I were not here, this thread would keep going, and that is an amazing, wonderful thing.
View Quote
It has not been the same with your absence.
Welcome Back!
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Thank you all for the clarification!
I'm going to perform a mite count tomorrow or Saturday, time and weather permitting. I've recently gotten a Varroa Easy Check, which unfortunately kills the subject bees, but (they say) provides a more accurate count of varroa mites.

Good news: We have had a few rainstorms in the last week. One of them actually hit my house! So the long-promised monsoon season* is upon us! This will mean new growth, especially in the tiny flowers that carpet the desert and are so easy to miss. I mention this because Kitties was interested in the differences with high desert beekeeping.

*The weather scientists say that the La Nina weather patterns are weakening, allowing a more moist monsoon.
View Quote
I like my Easy Check.
As our State Apiarist tells people that have a problem with killing the 300 bees per sample, “it’s 300 now or 30,000 later” the choice is yours.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Alrighty we made the jump.

Link Posted: 8/4/2018 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone heard of this solution to controlling varroa mites?

Oxalic acid and glycerine.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
Yes, I have friends that are testing this with different concentrations and delivery methods. The jury is still out on how well it works. I would advise beekeepers to stick with registered products and follow the label.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Roadside stands do well around here!  $250 in sales for 2 hours out.  Kids think they are Lebron James spending Bill Gates money, lol.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Honey crop is looking good this year!

Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#24]
The weak El Nino we're experiencing in New Mexico is working to my bees' advantage. It'll rain maybe once a week, either on top of me or near enough that my bees can gather pollen. The sparse rains are enough to make the tiny purple dye plants bloom; they get dry weather for a few days and the bees just have a ball! Both hives are almost full of comb.

As they are both newly-packaged hives, I'm going to follow Kittie's earlier advice and treat them like colonies on a remote planet, and keep what they'll gather (this year).

I've already gathered a few pounds from burr comb, but I'll let them keep this year's crop for the winter.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
This is what you want
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#30]

We must give our remote colonies all the help we can!
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:23:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Very cool.

I think roadside stands do well in most areas, if you have any traffic.

Do you have pics of your stand or the signs?  Are you getting local traffic?  or out-of-towners?
View All Quotes
Roadside stands do well around here!  $250 in sales for 2 hours out.  Kids think they are Lebron James spending Bill Gates money, lol.
Very cool.

I think roadside stands do well in most areas, if you have any traffic.

Do you have pics of your stand or the signs?  Are you getting local traffic?  or out-of-towners?
Local traffic.  When your kids wear bee suites, it’s cheating.  It causes people to slam on the brakes and buy armloads.  Kids made over $40 in “this is too cute, keep the change”.

Lesson: I need to have more kids before these grow up. lol.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:43:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SSF556] [#32]

@SSF556 is that your first hive???

(forgive me if I should know.  I've been consumed with family stuff since late winter.)
View Quote
Yes our first one....wife attended the local beekeeping meeting last night.   The guy we bought the hive from is about 15 mins from us and we will be using him to mentor us
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Ammo Cans....not just for ammo anymore...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Isn’t she pretty?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#35]
My bees just seem to downright refuse to draw out new comb. They initially swarmed on me even though I added a second deep and tried the pyramid technique of drawn comb. A friend of mine gave me a split that we put in the hive. It has had two full deeps, and I’ve been feeding them but they just won’t build comb on the super I’ve given them. My friend suggested I buy beeswax then melt and spread it on the bare foundation. I’m going to give that a try hopefully next weekend. I’m using RiteCell from Mann Lake for foundation. According to some research, it says they can be a little finicky with RiteCell sometimes versus some Acorn products. Does anyone care to share their experience?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:51:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#36]
Acorn is the best hands down by far that I have used. I buy the heavy waxed version directly from Nick at Acorn. It costs a little more and shipping SUCKS but my bees love it so I do too. I have tried Rite Cell and a few others and have not been happy at all.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By mr2143:
My bees just seem to downright refuse to draw out new comb. They initially swarmed on me even though I added a second deep and tried the pyramid technique of drawn comb. A friend of mine gave me a split that we put in the hive. It has had two full deeps, and I've been feeding them but they just won't build comb on the super I've given them. My friend suggested I buy beeswax then melt and spread it on the bare foundation. I'm going to give that a try hopefully next weekend. I'm using RiteCell from Mann Lake for foundation. According to some research, it says they can be a little finicky with RiteCell sometimes versus some Acorn products. Does anyone care to share their experience?
View Quote
Which race?  Which ratio of feed?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Is it possible to have a laying working in honey supers that are protected by a queen excluder?

Or is my queen into crossfit?

I had a few drone brood cells one of my frames on both sides, in a cluster. I just scrapped them out, because I don't want to wait for them to hatch out cause the frame is getting full of honey otherwise, and want the bees to fix em up and fill them.

I know I have a queen, cause I see regular brood and larva in the deeps.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes, you can have both a laying queen and one or more laying workers at the same time in a hive. You can also have multiple queens (usually mother/ daughter) in the same hive for months. We notice it a lot in the fall and come spring the daughter kills the mother queen and we only find one. It could be that you have two queens and one was not mated properly and is a drone laying queen.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Beekeeping be like it be. Except when it ain't.

This could be my motto. I opened the hives and found NO bare larva. So I started looking around thinking I'd need to buy 2 new queens. Then I found this:

"The presence of the queen will keep the worker bees calm.” And our bees are calm.

And this:

The bees seem calm during inspections and a few foragers are still bringing in pollen — both good signs that a queen may be present.

Link

I just came in from opening and visually inspecting the hives with no suit, no veil or gloves. And while they bumped me a few times they did not get aggressive or sting-ey.

I have a lot to do tomorrow, though: a few pieces of larva-filled comb fell off because of the heat, and a LOT of comb seems to be fused together. (I have top bar hives and the cross-combing gets out of hand.)

Still lots of foraging going on, too; the frequency of pollen-bearing bees entering the hive is fairly high, even in the heat of the day.

So when I suit up tomorrow I'm going to look for the queens- although I've never been successful at finding them in the hive.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:27:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#41]
I came across this as a sidebar to another article. Hope you enjoy it!

Why Honey Bee is Two Words
Regardless of dictionaries, we have in entomology a rule for insect common names that can be followed. It says: If the insect is what the name implies, write the two words separately; otherwise run them together. Thus we have such names as house fly, blow fly, and robber fly contrasted with dragonfly, caddicefly, and butterfly, because the latter are not flies, just as an aphislion is not a lion and a silverfish is not a fish. The honey bee is an insect and is preeminently a bee; “honeybee” is equivalent to “Johnsmith.”

—From Anatomy of the Honey Bee by Robert E. Snodgrass
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#42]
It was honey extraction day at my houseAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:18:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#43]
had a huge swarm of dragon flies massacaring one of our hives today.  I have a hive on the deck of my workshop - first swarm we ever caught and were able to hold on to.
dozens of big dragonflies flying all about around the house and workshop.  I've never seen anything like it.  You could see them going after the bees coming and going, and sometimes see them catching a bee.

I got my marlin garden gun (its a smoothbore 22LR for shooting shotshells), which is mostly used for carpenter/bore bees going after the log house, and tried to shoot them.
They are the toughest prey ever!  unpredictable flight paths, wicked fast, and hard/impossible to see against trees in the backgound.
I winged a couple, and nailed one good - it started to head to the ground, but then it regained itself and flew off into a tree.  They are tough!  must be armored bodies.

Later I went up to our garden where we have four hives, and there were more dragonflies there.  I must have fired off about 50 shotshells, and did nail one good - he went in like a Jap Zero at Leyte Gulf!   I feel bad I couldn't do more to help the bees.
I shot until the hammer broke on that little garden gun.  Its only had maybe 500-600 rounds through it ever.

I think before I'd only ever see a couple dragon flies buzzing around.  Not enough to do any harm to the bees.  but this was an all out assault by the things.

Anyone else ever have this happen?   My dad is good friends with one of the leading apiarists in SW PA, he said he has never seen anything like this.

Added pic of garden hives, last weekend (before today's dragonfly attach)
Attachment Attached File

The blue one was a swarm, or random bees from when we got the nice this spring, that stayed behind by the house.   We got a queen for them, but they didn't make it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#44]
dragonflies are de debil! There's a rather horrifying Youtube video showing a d-fly eating a honey bee, alive.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#45]
no dragonflies today, which is good.
but I was ready to run over to one of the local gun shops and buy a 410 shotgun.

that was a very odd thing yesterday, so many dragonflies in the small area of the backyard.  amazing how they all knew where to go for my bees.  they seem to be fairly solitary bugs.   there is a big lake/reservoir behind where I live, maybe a little less than a half mile to the water.  and some little creeks and boggy ground down the road.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Pollen but no nectar?
My bees are bringing in the pollen pretty regularly but they are gulping down the sugar syrup, about  a cup per day.
I always thought that they preferred nectar over sugar water, but they are slamming the syrup. Can we have a strong pollen flow without a strong nectar flow?
The monsoons have hit us pretty lightly, but it's enough that the flowers the bees like are blooming like crazy. Could the rain be washing the nectar away?
Inquiring minds, and such...
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#48]
I received this through my local beek Listserve.  I enjoyed it and thought I would share.

Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By CWO:
I received this through my local beek Listserve.  I enjoyed it and thought I would share.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Eyesofsilver/40684664_2135735029824044_2940788125028319232_n.jpg
View Quote
That’s a nice harvest. It seems that pre varroa, everyone was producing more honey.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#50]
That’s a nice harvest. It seems that pre varroa, everyone was producing more honey.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CWO:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Eyesofsilver/40684664_2135735029824044_2940788125028319232_n.jpg
One of my hives produced almost 200 lbs harvested this year.  The last two years my corner of northeast Ohio has had solid flow from April till mid September.  Pretty crazy.

Spring flow is so hard it is almost impossible for me to not split a new package install by mid June.  They just backfill the brood nest faster than they can draw foundation.

Next year I am using nucs as comb factories since I can’t keep enough on hand.
Page / 147
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top