BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never arrested anyone for the possession of "burglary tools" without an associated crime.

If I pull over a guy at 1:00pm for say speeding on the interstate or something and he has a set of bolt cutters and a pry bar on the floorboard of his truck. I may or may not ask him "what kind of work do you do?" An honest man will have an honest answer and will be on his way.

If it's the middle of the night. I stop someone in a high crime area. They are wearing all black. They cant tell me the answer to "where are you headed this evening?" Without answering like a two year old on crack. I also notice there is a duffel bag on the backseat with a some gloves, mask, bolt cutters, a couple prybars. I am probably going to step up my investigation.
View Quote
When going into work at 3 AM (coincidentally when Drunks from another location would be passing-through that place) I often got stopped.  Once I explained where I was going to work (Post Office), the cops always let me off, even if I was speeding a little bit.

After a little while, the local (3 towns) cops recognized my car and left me alone, since they were on "Drunk Patrol".  It was only when a "new" cop came onto the scene that we had to get known to each other and get back to "normal".

Back then, the local Cops/Detectives often came to the Post Office for address traces, so it was considered "normal" to help them out.  Looking back on it, maybe they should have displayed a Warrant, but we never asked for it.  If I was still working in that capacity, I "might" review my personal liability in providing such info absent a Warrant for such.  Times change.

@GutWrench, you sound like of a decent and perceptive Officer.  Keep safe!

Link Posted: 3/3/2023 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't speak to that particular "credit card" size device, but the ones I've seen are very often made of such thin metal that the "lock-tensioner" is useless.

Most likely one will destroy that device "practice-picking" a couple or three locks.

Just sayin'
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When going into work at 3 AM (coincidentally when Drunks from another location would be passing-through that place) I often got stopped.  Once I explained where I was going to work (Post Office), the cops always let me off, even if I was speeding a little bit.

After a little while, the local (3 towns) cops recognized my car and left me alone, since they were on "Drunk Patrol".  It was only when a "new" cop came onto the scene that we had to get known to each other and get back to "normal".

Back then, the local Cops/Detectives often came to the Post Office for address traces, so it was considered "normal" to help them out.  Looking back on it, maybe they should have displayed a Warrant, but we never asked for it.  If I was still working in that capacity, I "might" review my personal liability in providing such info absent a Warrant for such.  Times change.

View Quote

Thanks man. It’s pretty cool you working with the officers like that. Technology has come far enough along I have never had to use the post office as a resource.

I used to pull over the new guys out on their paper routes until I got to know them. They were always in the neighborhoods in the wee hours.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks man. It's pretty cool you working with the officers like that. Technology has come far enough along I have never had to use the post office as a resource.

I used to pull over the new guys out on their paper routes until I got to know them. They were always in the neighborhoods in the wee hours.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks man. It's pretty cool you working with the officers like that. Technology has come far enough along I have never had to use the post office as a resource.

Always stopped my car ASAP, turned Off engine, turned Off all outside lights, turned On all inside lights, had paperwork on the top of the dash, and hands out the window.  It became a well-practiced routine after a while.  All done to set Officer's mind at ease, and to get me out of the situation as quickly as possible.  It worked.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Always stopped my car ASAP, turned Off engine, turned Off all outside lights, turned On all inside lights, had paperwork on the top of the dash, and hands out the window.  It became a well-practiced routine after a while.  All done to set Officer's mind at ease, and to get me out of the situation as quickly as possible.  It worked.
View Quote

That’s the way to do it. Not being a criminal always helps too. Haha

Back on topic. :)

I carry lock picks and a leatherman in my EDC bag.

Bolt cutters and a pry bar of some type would be a nice addition but hopefully I can avoid the need for them. I prefer the minimum approach.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

I have these folding British war time cutters in mine

Easily cuts chain link fence
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/319551/6C65BE8E-606F-4211-960A-40753EFAC216_jpe-2733270.JPG

I have these folding British war time cutters in mine

Easily cuts chain link fence
View Quote

Are those very big? Look to be the size of a standard pair of channel locks?
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can't speak to that particular "credit card" size device, but the ones I've seen are very often made of such thin metal that the "lock-tensioner" is useless.

Most likely one will destroy that device "practice-picking" a couple or three locks.

Just sayin'
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just sayin'

Most likely one will destroy that device "practice-picking" a couple or three locks

Practice, they aren't for practice they are for emergencies that why its a wallet card. If I destroyed them on the average lock I would blame my skills not my tools.

If you say they are useless to you I believe you 100%.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Practice, they aren't for practice they are for emergencies that why its a wallet card. If I destroyed them on the average lock I would blame my skills not my tools.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin'

Most likely one will destroy that device "practice-picking" a couple or three locks

I think I get your drift.  Please allow me to explain my previous remarks further.  If buying such an "emergency" card, suggest buying two; one being for practice and possibly "sacrificed" in doing so.  Suggest that learning the lockpicking skill is best done with decent, more robust tools, and then use one of the two cards to determine its' limitations.  If the card is found to be "Unsat" then return the other card and look elsewhere.  Some cards have "sticky" material which allows replacement of used implements a limited number of times.  I have not used this particular "card" item, but Sparrows has an overall good rep: https://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/products/chaos-card

FWIW, I'm certainly no Expert on picking locks.   A good friend has a considerable number and variety of lockpicking tools, and practices with them often.

Sitting down in front of TV and "picking" a bagful of padlocks is a hobby of his.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I think the idea of an E&E kit sounds great. When I forced myself to audit my go bags I determined I was relying on too many sub-kits. Those sub-kits add weight to something that needs to be manageable. My Auxiliary Fire Department kit has those kinds of tools in it, and without all the immediate survival equipment in it, it is heavy. These are bolt cutters, pry bars, PPE, knife, wrench, other heavy metal tools. I think you create a small mondule. A good multi tool, a small pry bar, the silcock. It needs to be something that sits in your regular old go bag, and you grab and go and that is what you have. You should have the other tools, like a Halligan or larger pry bar, axe, large bolt cutters - in your tool collection and you can determine what your needs and abilities at the time of the need.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think the idea of an E&E kit sounds great. When I forced myself to audit my go bags I determined I was relying on too many sub-kits. Those sub-kits add weight to something that needs to be manageable. My Auxiliary Fire Department kit has those kinds of tools in it, and without all the immediate survival equipment in it, it is heavy. These are bolt cutters, pry bars, PPE, knife, wrench, other heavy metal tools. I think you create a small mondule. A good multi tool, a small pry bar, the silcock. It needs to be something that sits in your regular old go bag, and you grab and go and that is what you have. You should have the other tools, like a Halligan or larger pry bar, axe, large bolt cutters - in your tool collection and you can determine what your needs and abilities at the time of the need.
View Quote

This is kind of what I’ve done. I do have a minimalist kit, but when traveling, I have a more robust kit. It’s not something I would throw in my pack, but I can transport it to safety if necessary and then decide what is needed or not (I need to add a heavy duty garbage bag to cache what I don’t take if moving on foot). The only time I pack a Sillcock key is when in larger urban or metropolitan areas. I do keep larger tools in the truck, but I don’t expect to bugging home with 20” bolt cutters…those items are more niche and mission-specific.

I have a shit ton of such tools, but the challenge is to really assess the most versatile and frequently used, while avoiding the niche, “what if” tools that just add weight if you’re on foot. From an E&E perspective, it’s simply moving away from a ground-zero incident, getting home, or evading a potential threat (be it weather-related or man-made)…E&E tools just help you improvise and adapt and solving problems.

I remember an episode of Survivorman where the scenario (more survival than E&E) involved an old dirt bike that was provide for scavenging anything that might be helpful. Les Stroud only had a multitool, but he did an admiral job of dismantling it, collecting wiring, cables, mirror (for signaling), improvised container etc. While we often think of getting into structures with mini-crowbars, wire/bolt cutters, lock picks, breaching tools, etc., but in a minimalist mindset, there are plenty of resources you can collect or access with a few basic tools. Problem solving. A few tools can make finding solutions much easier.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Swinging an axe to fell a tree sounds simple until you've done it.  Sawing through wood and/or bones with a folding hand saw sounds simple until you've done it.

As always, suggest trying out such tools beforehand.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Those British wire snips look like a good addition to an urban kit.  Not as heavy as bolt cutters.  Chain link fence can be a bear to cut thru with a multi tool.  
The idea of having good basic tools and problem solving rings true. I wont have every tool I could possibly need but I could have some basics that are more likely to be with me.  
Lots of good input on here for carry and for vehicle too.  
My bug out bag is in disarray anyway so it’s a good time to reevaluate it and my gear.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a Leatherman multitool, a pair of fence pliers, and a set of lock picks in my E&E kit. Picks are cheap but they'll pop most padlocks or door knobs.

I've got 36" bolt cutters, sledge hammer, wrecking bar, more fence pliers, chainsaw, and a fence jack in the truck. As a part time farmer, none of those are out of place in the toolbox
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a Leatherman multitool, a pair of fence pliers, and a set of lock picks in my E&E kit. Picks are cheap but they'll pop most padlocks or door knobs.

I've got 36" bolt cutters, sledge hammer, wrecking bar, more fence pliers, chainsaw, and a fence jack in the truck. As a part time farmer, none of those are out of place in the toolbox
View Quote

Indeed!  It’s stuff a guy can use.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm certain that most of us would want very robust tools during an E+E situation.  It's quite another thing to carry such tools for a long distance.

Carrying such heavy tools in your vehicle always incurs a fuel/weight penalty.  The more weight your vehicle carries, the more fuel used.  It might be more important to have "range" versus items carried.

Suggest defining the mission and the required tools to suit the mission might help.  EDC tools are one thing; heavier tools carried in a vehicle are different things.

Suggest that small battery-powered tools with cutting wheels have transformed what is possible for most thieves.  Instead of carrying around large bolt/cable cutters the thieves have a much more compact device with which to do their dirty work.  OTOH, there is a certain amount of noise, and probably sparks.

I understand most folks here are not thieves, just 'Sayin.

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Without the knowledge that is useless.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top